• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Which generation was your first?

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
Technically, my first Pokemon game was FireRed (which I've since lost), but I was only very young when I got it and so I don't consider that the first game I seriously "played". Diamond would be more fitting, as I actually knew what I was doing with it and got seriously engrossed in it (I ended up getting about ~350 Pokemon before my save file corrupted).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
My first generation was Gen I! I started out with Yellow and haven't stopped since. Back then, Pokémon like Pikachu and Onix were absolutely fascinating to me because they were just so different to anything I'd ever experienced, but now looking back they're just the tip of the Pokémon iceberg in diversity. Pokémon has come a long way since Gen I but I've followed the franchise the whole time and I'm loving the progress they've made. Gen V was a bit... ehhh... but holding out hope for Gen VI!

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I was first introduced to Pokemon with the first generation, since I believe my brother got Pokemon Blue for his birthday when he was 6 or something, so it was both the first Pokemon game and the first game I played. And while I've always loved everything about the first generation; the region, the Pokemon, etc., the second generation is actually my favourite. I always had more fun with Johto, and Silver was also the first game I didn't have to share with anyone, and thus it was the one I played the most, and with the experiences I had, it became my favourite generation. I also liked the seasons of the anime that took place in Johto the most, which is just adds to it all.

Cassiopeiia

Floating
Years
My very first game was Silver. A very vivid memory tagged along with it as well: I had a level 70+ Fearow, a level 50+ Feraligatr and five other level 2-3 team members at the Pokemon league. Lolol.

Congrats on being the only person ever to train a Fearow!

My first game was Pokémon Gold, which I first played at the age of 6 I believe. I don't really remember much from when I was that young, except that I really enjoyed the game and that everyone at school were playing which made it even more fun. Gen II, yay!

Years
My first game was Pokémon Yellow and i got it when I was 5. Since I didn't understand a word of English by then, I took months to complete the game and many many weeks to realise how to get into Saffron City >.>

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
The first Pokemon game I owned was Pokemon Colosseum, sad to say. I've played many others before then, most notably Pokemon Yellow. I've been with Pokemon since Generation 1, so I like to look back and see how Pokemon has changed since then.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
Generation 1, I was around 11 when I got my copy of Pokemon Red. The Kanto region will always be my favorite due to good memories & such.

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014
I don't even know where to start...
I've played the games since fourth gen but I've liked it sense seccond

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
The first one, of course.

But, contrary to popular belief, I don't think it's the best. It was awesome, but not the best.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
But, contrary to popular belief, I don't think it's the best. It was awesome, but not the best.

Off-Topic for a brief beat

Oh god, it's clearly not the best. R/B/Y were broken as all-get-out. Examples include Bind/Wrap and the 100% Critical Ratio for Razor Leaf. To name a few.

PokeCanada

Crispy
Years
Generation 1. Good ol' terrible 8-bit bunches of music day. (Although I guess at the time, that was the best game music to them. But, compared to now...)

Annuhh5

White and nerdy.
Years
First gen for me. I got Yellow for christmas when i was 8. Been playing all the gens since.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
The first generation i played was the 1st Gen Of curze :3

Played Yellow first from a friend's Gameboy Color. :3

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
I was there since the Dutch debut of the anime series. It was on a lousy August in the waning days of the Summer holidays in 1999 that I sat in front of one of those giant tube TVs with my legs crossed, my head cocked back, my mouth agape, and two eyes that could not remove their gaze from the telly. I remember playing the gen I games on a gameboy, and then a gameboy colour. I remember that I played pokémon yellow along with my brother, and squeed with joy at the Pikachu following me everywhere I went. I was 4 years old when my adventure began, and I've had ups and downs with the series, but I always got back to it, because it was right.

Navy Blue

Artist
Years
GBA, Pokemon Emerald, Gen III.
First and favorite.
Well, my first game.
I've watched the anime since I was born, or something. Only God (and my parents) know.

Last edited:
Back