ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old May 2nd, 2013 (6:52 AM).
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrath View Post
Thanks! So what would I do if one tile has more colours than of the tile you are changing? What would you have to do in the palette editor?
Unfortunately, the GBA processor can only support 16-color palettes. There are two sloppy ways and two organized ways to deal with this:

The sloppy ways:

1. Add another color, replacing a color used by some other tile in the tileset.

2. Merge two of the colors in the tile that you are using together.

The organized ways:

1. Rescratch the tile by yourself, using less colors.

2. Choose a different tile.

Eventually we'll be able make the GBA support 256 color palettes, but with that will come VBA changes (which I can take care of). That will be a long time from now, considering that we barely understand 40% of the data and routines in the game image, and we'll possibly have to rewrite VBA for that kind of support.

Relevant Advertising!

Old May 2nd, 2013 (8:49 AM).

i want to hav all pokemon from all generation in my hack bt i dont know how to do it....does anybody knows how to do it.....plz help me
    Hello guyz is there any one who knows how to change the tiles????? M thinking of changing the tiles and starting from vry beginning if any one knows how to change tiles and make a title screen plz contact me......and yeah the route will look same as the screenshot only tiles and ow's will be different anyways thx in advance
    Old May 2nd, 2013 (9:13 AM).
    » keepin' it simple

Quote:
      Originally Posted by LFCAmmy View Post
      i want to hav all pokemon from all generation in my hack bt i dont know how to do it....does anybody knows how to do it.....plz help me
      You'll need ASM to realize a huge feature like this. Also, I recommend you to take a look at Jambo51's FireRed 649 patch.
      Old May 2nd, 2013 (9:22 AM).
      Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by DeltaSalamence View Post
        2. Yes, IPS is only able to patch two files of the same filesize. Either you can expand a clean ROM and create an IPS off of that
        This is wrong. IPS can only support a maximum filesize of 16 megabytes because the address reference is only 3 bytes long.

For an expanded ROM you have to use UPS/APS.
        Old May 2nd, 2013 (11:03 AM).

Ok good...last question about this: my rom have many and many script; i've noticed that once every houndred a script generated with a dynamic offset go to override an existing script...so the FSF is very good, but not perfect. Using Wichu's editor what are the chance that an override happen? And i need to save rom every single pokemon change or i can modifiy in a row 10/20 pokemon and than replace in only one time?

Thanks another time
          Old May 2nd, 2013 (12:48 PM). Edited May 2nd, 2013 by Majesticz.
          » keepin' it simple

As long as there is enough free space (FF) it will most likely just overwrite these. The tool itself works fine, you can modify 50 or something in a row without any problems.
            Old May 2nd, 2013 (2:28 PM).
            Diehard Pokemon Fanatic

Nature: Naive
              First off, I'd to thank all those who created the various hacking tutorials for Fire Red However, there are a couple of things I can't seem to find, both I really need for my hack... the Pokemon in Oak's tutorial, and determining the rival's party.

1. My hack is based around the EEVEELUTION and I was wondering if someone knew how to change the NIDORAN Female, including her cry, to EEVEE.

2. I've added a new rival and I wanted her starter Pokemon to match the one not chosen at Oak's lab. For example, in my test file, I chose FLAREON and my rival has VAPOREON; therefore Samantha should start with Jolteon, but if I had chosen Jolteon myself she's supposed to start with VAPOREON etc.

Is there a specific type of script I need to use, or do I just have to create the three, alternative, party set-ups in A-trainer?

The scripting program I'm using, and learning scripting with, is hackmew's XSE.

Kos
              Pokemon Eevee's Elementals version
              Old May 2nd, 2013 (3:55 PM). Edited May 2nd, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.
              (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
              • Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by KosmoF View Post
              First off, I'd to thank all those who created the various hacking tutorials for Fire Red However, there are a couple of things I can't seem to find, both I really need for my hack... the Pokemon in Oak's tutorial, and determining the rival's party.

1. My hack is based around the EEVEELUTION and I was wondering if someone knew how to change the NIDORAN Female, including her cry, to EEVEE.

2. I've added a new rival and I wanted her starter Pokemon to match the one not chosen at Oak's lab. For example, in my test file, I chose FLAREON and my rival has VAPOREON; therefore Samantha should start with Jolteon, but if I had chosen Jolteon myself she's supposed to start with VAPOREON etc.

Is there a specific type of script I need to use, or do I just have to create the three, alternative, party set-ups in A-trainer?

1. Ok, this can be done by doing this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7550436&postcount=313
              2. You do need to create 3 separate trainers and call the correct one either by setting a var or flag depending on the starter you chose.

3. Aside from your question, I figured out that the footprint behavior byte is 21, not 6.

Support me at my site!
              Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
              Old May 2nd, 2013 (3:58 PM).
              What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by KosmoF View Post

1) An old tool called Intro Ed by MewThree will do the trick for the sprite. For the cry, refer to the quick research thread in R&D where, near the end of the thread, there is a nice post by Darthatron.

2) The easiest way is with A-Trainer and just to create three different trainers and then set a var to 0, 1, or 2 based upon what pokemon is chosen, and then compare that var later when deciding which battle to use.

Paired with Simba
                Old May 2nd, 2013 (6:49 PM).
                Pokemon Lurid Creator

Nature: Relaxed
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by DeltaSalamence View Post
                  Unfortunately, the GBA processor can only support 16-color palettes. There are two sloppy ways and two organized ways to deal with this:

The sloppy ways:

1. Add another color, replacing a color used by some other tile in the tileset.

2. Merge two of the colors in the tile that you are using together.

The organized ways:

1. Rescratch the tile by yourself, using less colors.

2. Choose a different tile.

Eventually we'll be able make the GBA support 256 color palettes, but with that will come VBA changes (which I can take care of). That will be a long time from now, considering that we barely understand 40% of the data and routines in the game image, and we'll possibly have to rewrite VBA for that kind of support.
                  Thanks for the information.
                  Old May 2nd, 2013 (7:57 PM).
                  Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                    1) This page ( http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=239025 ) describes how the colors are distributed to different over world sprites.

Now, to change these colors, it is actually pretty simple. All of the text colors are contained withen the same palette as the overworld text box. So, if you can find that, then you can edit it. If you can't find it (please actually give it a try, we have too many lazy people here) just post again and I will help you.

2) You are limited to the amount of colors, but by changing the colors in the tut, then you create your own set of text colors.
                    Hey, sorry I have been staring at this for days and changing some values in the offset 0x464300 but seem to be getting no where... I'm sorry to ask but I can't find the data. I know they are 4-bit entries for an overworld but I can't see the slightest resemblence in similar overworlds or even search a colour. Eg the red is FF0000 I assumed?
                    Old May 2nd, 2013 (10:13 PM).
                    Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
                      Hey, sorry I have been staring at this for days and changing some values in the offset 0x464300 but seem to be getting no where... I'm sorry to ask but I can't find the data. I know they are 4-bit entries for an overworld but I can't see the slightest resemblence in similar overworlds or even search a colour. Eg the red is FF0000 I assumed?
                      The color system is 24-bit, right?
                      In that case, if every entry there is only of four bits, the entries can have all the values between 0 and F, and sounds like they could instead work as palette pointers instead of actual palettes. If there are 16 different memory slots reserved for palettes in total, this is probably how it works out.

If you want to find the palettes these refer to, use a debugger and set a breakpoint to the "table pointer" and follow the code from there.

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                      CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                      -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                      Old May 2nd, 2013 (10:50 PM).
                      Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
                        The color system is 24-bit, right?
                        In that case, if every entry there is only of four bits, the entries can have all the values between 0 and F, and sounds like they could instead work as palette pointers instead of actual palettes. If there are 16 different memory slots reserved for palettes in total, this is probably how it works out.

If you want to find the palettes these refer to, use a debugger and set a breakpoint to the "table pointer" and follow the code from there.
                        Aah, I am so far off the mark from where I'm at. Are there any good tutorials on how to set breakpoints? Even the table I'm looking in, the pointers I'm finding are not pallette pointers.

Thanks though, I'm sure if was smarter I would get this haha.
                        Old May 3rd, 2013 (2:43 AM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
                          Aah, I am so far off the mark from where I'm at. Are there any good tutorials on how to set breakpoints? Even the table I'm looking in, the pointers I'm finding are not pallette pointers.

Thanks though, I'm sure if was smarter I would get this haha.
                          The color system is much different. It isn't reading actual colors, but more, it is reading what slot in the palette the color is in. Take a look:

FF 00 00 is 3 bytes.

There are 8 bits is one byte.

So, to break those numbers up into groups of 4 bits:

F F 0 0 0 0

Understand?

So, I don't understand exactly how it corelates to each slot in the palette, but the first "F" goes with sprite 0, the second "F" goes with sprite 1, the third number (0) goes with sprite 2, the next with sprite 3, etc. This should be enough info to get you to play around with it. Try looking at a boy's sprite in the table and then a girl's and see how they are different.

Paired with Simba
                          Old May 3rd, 2013 (3:22 AM).
                          Pokemon Lurid Creator

I'm using a rom base and I constantly keep encountering this error and have tried fixing it multiple times.
                            Does anyone know a soloution?
                            gyrath.deviantart(.)com/art/House-bug-369371065?q=gallery%3Agyrath&qo=0
                            Old May 3rd, 2013 (3:47 AM).

Hi!

I've already been into Hex Editing for editing texts and a few textures for a PSP game but that was 3 or 4 years ago... I decided to start all over learning it again but decided to change the sprites and some images for Pokemon Crystal and found out that getting back to hacking isn't much like riding the bicycle again after a long time of not riding one...

I've managed to edit a couple of sprites and some tiles but what I'm trying to edit now is the Frames. I found (I think) the location of the Type 1 Frame in the ROM (using Tile Layer Pro) but for some reason, when I play the game, it's still the same as it was before. Opening the ROM again in TLP shows that it's already been edited. I'm sure (well, I believe I am) that it is indeed the right sprite/tile to edit as I've followed the "Textbox Editing" Tutorial to find the things I want to change.

I hope somebody can share and help me out. Thanks!
                              Old May 3rd, 2013 (3:52 AM).

Quote:
                                I'm using a rom base and I constantly keep encountering this error and have tried fixing it multiple times.
                                Does anyone know a soloution?
                                gyrath.deviantart(.)com/art/House-bug-369371065?q=gallery%3Agyrath&qo=0
                                I see that the tiles are not in the right position. Could you elaborate more on when it occurs and if it looks the same in A-map?

Paired with Simba
                                Old May 3rd, 2013 (4:05 AM).
                                Pokemon Lurid Creator

Quote:
                                  I see that the tiles are not in the right position. Could you elaborate more on when it occurs and if it looks the same in A-map?
                                  Ok, time to elaborate. I'm using Punkrocker's Rom-base
                                  pokecommunity(.)com/showpost.php?p=4156287&postcount=146

In A-Map everything looks normal, fine, perfect. Tiles are stunning.. Let's load it with VBA and give it a try!
                                  1. The first screenshot you see is when im leaving the house but have not yet actually opened the door.
                                  2. When I do open the door, basically all the bottom tiles of the house suddenly become frozen door animations (or atleast that's what it looks like to me).

If you want to get the full idea, download the rom-base with the link i supplied.
                                  Old May 3rd, 2013 (4:57 AM).
                                  hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
                                    Quote:
                                    Ok, time to elaborate. I'm using Punkrocker's Rom-base
                                    pokecommunity(.)com/showpost.php?p=4156287&postcount=146

In A-Map everything looks normal, fine, perfect. Tiles are stunning.. Let's load it with VBA and give it a try!
                                    1. The first screenshot you see is when im leaving the house but have not yet actually opened the door.
                                    2. When I do open the door, basically all the bottom tiles of the house suddenly become frozen door animations (or atleast that's what it looks like to me).

If you want to get the full idea, download the rom-base with the link i supplied.
                                    It is because of the inserted tiles. When they were placed into the Tileset by the inserter, some parts of the tileset appear to be blank but at the bottom of each tileset, there is a blank bit which is set for the animations of doors as such. These blank areas now contain the bottom of the houses, and so the frames of animation appears when doors are opened.

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old May 3rd, 2013 (5:12 AM).
                                    Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
                                      The color system is much different. It isn't reading actual colors, but more, it is reading what slot in the palette the color is in. Take a look:

FF 00 00 is 3 bytes.

There are 8 bits is one byte.

So, to break those numbers up into groups of 4 bits:

F F 0 0 0 0

Understand?

So, I don't understand exactly how it corelates to each slot in the palette, but the first "F" goes with sprite 0, the second "F" goes with sprite 1, the third number (0) goes with sprite 2, the next with sprite 3, etc. This should be enough info to get you to play around with it. Try looking at a boy's sprite in the table and then a girl's and see how they are different.
                                      THANK YOU! I can't believe I didn't know what a bit was... would have made it easier!

Anyway I played around with the area the number 0 = Boy (blue), 1 = Girl (red) and any value from 2-F was black. So I was stuck again.

I ended up searching the whole palette (found this by accident when the text doesn't change with DNS and saw only 3 palettes weren't affected) and found it at 0x471DF4 (proof I found it) and changed it from red to my colour. Now it works So thank you!!!

So RED is located at 0x471DF4
                                      And BLUE is at 0x471DFC
                                      Old May 3rd, 2013 (5:24 AM).
                                      Pokemon Lurid Creator

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
                                        It is because of the inserted tiles. When they were placed into the Tileset by the inserter, some parts of the tileset appear to be blank but at the bottom of each tileset, there is a blank bit which is set for the animations of doors as such. These blank areas now contain the bottom of the houses, and so the frames of animation appears when doors are opened.
                                        Ok, I understand. How would I fix this?
                                        Old May 3rd, 2013 (1:25 PM).
                                        Banjora Marxvile Banjora Marxvile is offline
                                        hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
                                          Quote:
                                          Ok, I understand. How would I fix this?
                                          It means reinserting the tiles into a different part of the tileset. As I've had the pleasure of seeing this ROM Base myself too, I know this is fairly difficult due to lack of space, so I have no idea how you can fix it really.

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old May 3rd, 2013 (5:46 PM).
                                          Pokemon Lurid Creator

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
                                            It means reinserting the tiles into a different part of the tileset. As I've had the pleasure of seeing this ROM Base myself too, I know this is fairly difficult due to lack of space, so I have no idea how you can fix it really.
                                            Hmm, I'll look into it more if all goes bad then i'll switch ROM-bases. Thanks for the information.
                                            Old May 4th, 2013 (3:46 AM).

More out of curiosity than anything else: what is it exactly that makes the ghost pokemon in pokemon tower (FR/LG) be all 'ghosty'? I've tried setting the flags associated with it (from the research/development thread I found that it was 0x037, as well as another flag that I can't remember for item pickup), but that accomplished nothing. Also, even without all those flags, simply giving the silph scope made the ghost pokemon visible. Also, there didn't seem to be any mapscripts that could possibly cause the effect, and weather, battle type, etc. also don't seem to influence this in any way. It's easy enough to find a way around this problem (simply giving the player the SS ), but again, I'm feeling curious. If anyone knows anything about this, would be great!

Arthur.
                                              Old May 4th, 2013 (5:00 AM).
                                              LaDestitute LaDestitute is offline
                                              Razor Sharp

Nature: Calm
                                                So, I've figured out how to work with tilesets and tileset palettes pretty much now, I've successfully replaced the default tree with my own and edited and messed around around with the greenery palette to make it a bit darker and more lush looking but I've run into a problem.

My palette is fine, but there's this ugly little thing:

How do I make it look like this?

I tried recoloring the mismatched color using palette 0 (even making it transparent by coloring it black in palette 0) but to no avail. Some attempts do nothing while some botch the color and make it look worse. I have figured out which tile it is though, and it's this one (it's edited, though to make which part is doing this clearer):
                                                Closed Thread

Quick Reply