• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Aha, I'm relieved. I was beginning to worry that there was some truth to your comment in that thread about suddenly dropping the project.
^^;

The following was observed in a double battle between two allied partners, but I assume that doesn't have to be the case:
Electivire used Discharge!
Lanturn's Volt Absorb restored HP!
A critical hit!
When an ability cancels a move like that, there shouldn't be a chance for it to crit- or at least the message shouldn't be displayed.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Aha, I'm relieved. I was beginning to worry that there was some truth to your comment in that thread about suddenly dropping the project.
^^;
I've yet to make up my mind about my future with Essentials, but I almost certainly won't drop it completely. The nearest to that would be that I fall back to an advisory/director/compiler role, where I still put out the releases but they only contain stuff which other people have contributed. I'll have a think.

The following was observed in a double battle between two allied partners, but I assume that doesn't have to be the case:
Electivire used Discharge!
Lanturn's Volt Absorb restored HP!
A critical hit!
When an ability cancels a move like that, there shouldn't be a chance for it to crit- or at least the message shouldn't be displayed.
True enough (it was just the message showing when it shouldn't). I've fixed that, and I've also fixed Air Balloon popping because of non-damaging moves (it shouldn't) because I happened to notice it at the same time.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
EDIT: Uh, sorry, my computer managed to post the same post as above twice, like an hour later. Remove this please.

((Although as long as this post exists: Glad to know you aren't letting it go entirely. =D ))

DOUBLE EDIT: Okay, well, as long as this is here may as well use it for something else I found, or, at least to look into.

I believe Anticipation is working incorrectly. I've got a Toxicroak that shuddered when I sent it in in a double battle against Manectric/Seviper with the moves
Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Crunch,
Poison Fang, Aqua Tail, Night Slash, Rest
Now, none of those are super effective against Toxicroak, so it oughtn't be shuddering. I'm thinking, maybe since Rest is classified as a Psychic type move, though, it's shuddering from that?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2013
The bug where you catch a shadow pokemon and the opponent doesn't send out a replacement is still in Essentials version 11. Where is it determined that an opponent has to switch out a pokemon?

Maruno

Years
EDIT: Uh, sorry, my computer managed to post the same post as above twice, like an hour later. Remove this please.

((Although as long as this post exists: Glad to know you aren't letting it go entirely. =D ))

DOUBLE EDIT: Okay, well, as long as this is here may as well use it for something else I found, or, at least to look into.

I believe Anticipation is working incorrectly. I've got a Toxicroak that shuddered when I sent it in in a double battle against Manectric/Seviper with the moves
Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Crunch,
Poison Fang, Aqua Tail, Night Slash, Rest
Now, none of those are super effective against Toxicroak, so it oughtn't be shuddering. I'm thinking, maybe since Rest is classified as a Psychic type move, though, it's shuddering from that?
You know notifications don't happen when you edit a post, right? It was only coincidence that I saw this.

I've fixed it for the next version; it only triggers due to damaging supereffective moves (which aren't Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Burst) and effective OHKO moves. Interestingly, Anticipation has never worked against Explosion/Selfdestruct in the official games.

The bug where you catch a shadow pokemon and the opponent doesn't send out a replacement is still in Essentials version 11. Where is it determined that an opponent has to switch out a pokemon?
Fixed it. In PokeBattle_Battler in def pbReset, add the line @pokemonIndex=-1.

Turns out what I'd fixed before for this only applied to double battles. This'll fix single battles, though.

Years
Hello !
I've got a problem with EDITOR.
When i'am trying to add a new trainer battle after selecting first pokemon an error appears :

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NoMethodError

PokeBattle_Pokemon:729:in `initialize'

PokemonTrainers:102:in `new'

PokemonTrainers:102:in `pbNewTrainer'

PokemonTrainers:88:in `loop'

PokemonTrainers:111:in `pbNewTrainer'

PokemonTrainers:80:in `each'

PokemonTrainers:80:in `pbNewTrainer'

PokemonEditor:3696:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

PokemonEditor:3653:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:1572:in `loop'

Please, help. This error appears even when i'm trying to add new trainer on 'clean' version of starter kit.

Years
I've tried.
I'm adding new trainer battle in PBS trainers :
Spoiler:

And then when i'm trying to put it in game it crushes. :c

But... i'll try once again...

[EDIT]------------------------------------------
F*ck Yeah, it works !
Thank You ! :)

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
That looks fine to me. Make sure you're running your game from within RMXP, and that you're holding Ctrl when you start it (to force the game to fully compile).

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2024
The ability Forewarn doesn't work. Not only does it not work, it crashes the game.

This is with an unmodified essentials.

Pokemon Essentials Basic
Exception: NoMethodError

Message: undefined method `pbRandom' for #<PokeBattle_Battler:0xc16d680>

PokeBattle_Battler:913:in `pbAbilitiesOnSwitchIn'

PokeBattle_Battle:1175:in `pbOnActiveAll'

PokeBattle_Battle:1174:in `each'

PokeBattle_Battle:1174:in `pbOnActiveAll'

PokeBattle_Battle:731:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:512:in `pbStartBattle'

PokemonField:990:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:989:in `pbSceneStandby'

PokemonField:991:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:988:in `pbBattleAnimation'

I'm pretty sure Frisk works the same way.

This only happens if the Forewarn park is YOUR OWN pokemon, it seems to work for the enemy. If you switch the pokemon in, the ability does not activate at all.

Also, as an aside, and this is less important, Sitrus Berries heal 30 HP as they did in RSE, but nowadays they heal 25% of your maximum HP.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
I fixed the Forewarn's bug. It was simple.

Search in PokeBattle_Battler the line:
move=moves[pbRandom(moves.length)]

Change to:
move=moves[@battle.pbRandom(moves.length)]

EDIT: For Frisk it is necessary to do the same thing:

Search in PokeBattle_Battler the line:
item=items[pbRandom(items.length)]

Change to:
item=items[@battle.pbRandom(items.length)]

Last edited:

thor348

That's Oak to You
Years
Also, if you place an event with the graphic of one of the bridges over water, there is a reflection. But when you attempt to surf below it, you are under the reflection rather then on top. I've tried several attempts to solve this visual cosmetic issue but gave up after 30 min.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
I was in Editor.exe and was trying to create a new trainer in a fresh copy of essentials. My result:
Anyways, whenever I attempt to create a new trainer it comes up with this on a fresh copy of essentials:
Spoiler:

It happens right after I try to choose the opponent's first Pokemon. Help?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I was in Editor.exe and was trying to create a new trainer in a fresh copy of essentials. My result:
Anyways, whenever I attempt to create a new trainer it comes up with this on a fresh copy of essentials:
Spoiler:

It happens right after I try to choose the opponent's first Pokemon. Help?

Edit the PBS directly (need more characters)

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
Trying to add the VS sequence, I've added VS_BAR_SWITCH=Number of switch to line 262 of the Settings in scripts, and an error comes up:

undefined local variable or method 'switch' for nil:NilClass

Now I've tinkered around with it and I change Number of Switch to "true" it allows me to play the game but once the sequence is supposed to commence, another error comes up.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
Edit the PBS directly (need more characters)
Okay then. What do you mean by "need more characters?" Anyways, I'll edit the PBS file directly then.

Trying to add the VS sequence, I've added VS_BAR_SWITCH=Number of switch to line 262 of the Settings in scripts, and an error comes up:

undefined local variable or method 'switch' for nil:NilClass

Now I've tinkered around with it and I change Number of Switch to "true" it allows me to play the game but once the sequence is supposed to commence, another error comes up.
Pokemon Essentials 11 already has a built in VS. Sequences. Want me to teach you how to use them?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2024
The move Perish Song doesn't work. It doesn't even display a "Failed" message, it just ends your turn immediately. It DOES seem to be coded, but no pokemon ever gets a perish count.

Also, I ran into a strange bug. The opponent used Drain Punch on me, and when they absorbed HP, it kept waddling back and forth as if it couldn't decide what number to land on - I had to close the game. They DID have Big Root attached, so that may have an effect.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
That Drain Punch thing is definitely Big Root's effect. If you look back a little bit, I believe Maruno posted a fix for that.

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
I fixed it myself once I realized what I did wrong. Thanks for the offer to help though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back