• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters
Years
I think the idea of Norse Mythology being used as an influence on Yveltal and Xerneas is a good one. It has certainly come up time and time again, but I wouldn't go as far as to say the Norse Mythology will have anything to do with the Pokémon themselves as some others believe. For example, having an impact on their actual Pokémon background or storyline. The Norse Mythology could have just been an influence on what to base the mascots after.
there was some discussion here that xerneas and yveltal are the pokemons who responsible for the evolutions, which is pretty cool idea that can fit well the chromosomes concept of the games

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
That actually does make some sense in a way. Although we may not user their backstories, it could just be the concept for the designs of the Pokémon. Plus if they do, Norse mythology is one of the more interesting mythologies that exist, so I definitely wouldn't mind if that was the basis!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Norse mythology is one of the more interesting mythologies that exist, so I definitely wouldn't mind if that was the basis!

I definitely agree! I haven't read much about it, but it seems to be a mythology full of imagination and possibilities, which would be a great basis for some new and original pokemon!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Let's see if we don't have pokemons based on Ymir, Thor, Odin, Loki, Hel, Nidhogg, Jormungand, Ratatoskrm, Freyja, Vedfolnir, etc.

The four stag Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór could be like the Muskeeters in gen 5 where you have 3 mains and one added later.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Someone has been reading up on Norse Mythology :P
Just kidding, i barely know any of the names mentioned above, but they definitely sound interesting!!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Odin could be taken with a new Arceus forme xD. A trickster legendary based on Loki could have Dark/Fairy (if it's really a type for this generation).
I hope that the third member of the trio looks as cool as the first two, bet it'll be the serpent as that's the only thing I see as looking like Z.

tealwing

Genie
Years
My vote goes to Xerneas because it looks so graceful and gentle. For the past few games we've had box mascots that look all bad-ass and cool, so Xerneas will be refreshing to look at for a change. :)

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
Odin could be taken with a new Arceus forme xD. A trickster legendary based on Loki could have Dark/Fairy (if it's really a type for this generation).
I hope that the third member of the trio looks as cool as the first two, bet it'll be the serpent as that's the only thing I see as looking like Z.

One for Thor would make an amazing Electric/Fighting type.

Years
Thor's wife can be Fairy (again if it's a new type) as she's the goddess of love and fairies in some stories and myths can mess with love.

Wonder how the theme of genetics will be split this generation, gen 5 split Tao into Yin and and Yang, gen 4 split Space-Time into Time and Space, gen 3 split Land and Sea into Land and Sea. Or will the X and Y chromosomes really be the split of this generation's theme?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
One for Thor would make an amazing Electric/Fighting type.

Love it. If Norse mythology does somehow get use, I'd love to see this included. Plus, that typing just sounds awesome (Only weak to Ground and Psychic, but neutral to most everything else).

However, the the new Arceus form comment...no. Just no. Arceus has 17 forms. I think we're good at this point. Plus, the whole point is that it changes forms based on the plates that it holds. Giving it a new way to change forms just seems like a really poor choice to me.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I would love for a new Pokemon to have the Fighting/Flying combo!!
When i first saw Braviary i actually thought he might get this typing...
4 weaknesses aren't that bad, especially since its own Fighting type would take care of the Ice weakness. He wouldn't have many resistences though

Years
Love it. If Norse mythology does somehow get use, I'd love to see this included. Plus, that typing just sounds awesome (Only weak to Ground and Psychic, but neutral to most everything else).

However, the the new Arceus form comment...no. Just no. Arceus has 17 forms. I think we're good at this point. Plus, the whole point is that it changes forms based on the plates that it holds. Giving it a new way to change forms just seems like a really poor choice to me.
Well if we have a new type the new type forme of Arcues could have a special look from the rest.
Anyways what if Yvetal turns out to be Flying/Fighting?! that'll be a nice surprise. Xerneas could be Psychic/Grass and we'll have our first two way weakness and strong mascots.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
I personally prefer Yveltal over Xerneas, partially because I love birds. They both look pretty nice to me, actually. Based on their design, however, I can't even begin to guess what types they may be. Nintendo did a great job as keeping the types ambiguous so far in Generation 6.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Speaking of typing, Xerneas to me recently gives the idea of Psychic, due to it's mystical and magical characteristic, and electric type, due to it's ability to create light.

Electric/Psychic type combination is very unique and cool.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
If one of them is Psychic, I'd rather see Xerneas more fitting for it.
Yveltal seems more like a Physical attacker, Xerneas more likely a special one

Back