• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen A New Land, the Kalos Region

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I'm glad it's so diverse. It makes the region much more interesting to travel, instead of seeing grass route after grass route, then a cave, then more grass. Having the mountains, rivers, snowy area, and volcano at the top will definitely make Kalos a lot of fun to traverse throughout the games.
Agreed. That's one of the reasons I found Unova so boring, it was town, grass, town, grass, town,grass, cave, town, grass, cave, ect. I hope we get to actually climb up the mountain like with Mount Coronet in Sinnoh, that was one of the highlights of that game for me.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Yup it's as diverse as Hoenn...now add in tropical forests and it'll actually become more diverse! I love that it's diverse, Sinnoh and Unova sadly weren't very diverse imo.
I wonder if in this region we may ride on a boat in the water ways...
Agreed. That's one of the reasons I found Unova so boring, it was town, grass, town, grass, town,grass, cave, town, grass, cave, ect. I hope we get to actually climb up the mountain like with Mount Coronet in Sinnoh, that was one of the highlights of that game for me.

I'm wondering if everyone played the same Gen 3 games. Hoenn was Half water half grassland with a little topping of sand and mountain. Hoenn was not that diverse at all. It followed Kanto fairly well. First City into a second city, Third city After a forest, Third City near a small mountain range. Fourth City near the ocean (Cerulean was near a cape that overlooked the ocean and Dewford was a small island), Fourth City was a port. For more than half of Hoenn you are on grass routes with a few caves. Something that is in every game. Only thing that set Hoenn off from the others was the Volcano and Ash field which hasn't really been used since Gen 3. Other than that which doesn't add more diversity than the others, Hoenn was no more diverse than Sinnoh or Johto or Unova. There were plenty of non-modern places all over Unova. The games get more diverse as the generations trot on.

Sinnoh was a large mixture of water, Grass, Mountian, topped with a little bit of Snow on the top.

Kalos IS the most diverse, more diverse than any region before. Its going to have very similar quirks to older regions as is tradition, but it has the most Biomes that I can see on the map.

I do wonder why Kalos Region is star shaped though. Looks as if its going to force us through one main path just like Unova did.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
Some Observations i made,
Spoiler:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Definitely agree with you on the starting town and the Pokémon League locations, and the place you circled as an evil hideout could be possible. It sort of reminds me of the Cipher Desert Hideout from Colosseum and Gale of Darkness. It'd definitely be cool to have an entire location dedicated to the hideout instead of just having it in an existing city like the games tend to do.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Oh, look where the tower appears. Isn't that where Paris is located on the real world map? Hmm...

Could that be Miare City, perchance?

Where do you all think the game will start?

Cyclone

blue

gucci
Years
This region looks like no other, it looks like a nice little central region which will be interesting to explore!

iTeruri

iAm
Years
I don't think that's Stonehenge. France has many stones like that called menhirs. Of course, Stonehenge also consist of menhirs, but there happens to be remains of the largest known menhir in a place that's almost in the same spot as the supposed Stonehenge: Locmariaquer.

At least, I think the place with the stones is supposed to be Brittany, with the smaller penisula (the one with the river) being Normandy. There appears to be a city in the ocean between the two, in the Pokémon version, which seems to reference Mont Saint-Michel.

Last edited:

Years
I'm wondering if everyone played the same Gen 3 games. Hoenn was Half water half grassland with a little topping of sand and mountain. Hoenn was not that diverse at all. It followed Kanto fairly well. First City into a second city, Third city After a forest, Third City near a small mountain range. Fourth City near the ocean (Cerulean was near a cape that overlooked the ocean and Dewford was a small island), Fourth City was a port. For more than half of Hoenn you are on grass routes with a few caves. Something that is in every game. Only thing that set Hoenn off from the others was the Volcano and Ash field which hasn't really been used since Gen 3. Other than that which doesn't add more diversity than the others, Hoenn was no more diverse than Sinnoh or Johto or Unova. There were plenty of non-modern places all over Unova. The games get more diverse as the generations trot on.

Sinnoh was a large mixture of water, Grass, Mountian, topped with a little bit of Snow on the top.

Kalos IS the most diverse, more diverse than any region before. Its going to have very similar quirks to older regions as is tradition, but it has the most Biomes that I can see on the map.

I do wonder why Kalos Region is star shaped though. Looks as if its going to force us through one main path just like Unova did.

France is sort of Star shape. Also the map like many others seems to lack some routes. I beleive we'll be going back forth and have intersecting routes like in Hoenn and Sinnoh rather than Unova's rather liner map...at least I hope so.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
France is sort of Star shape. Also the map like many others seems to lack some routes. I beleive we'll be going back forth and have intersecting routes like in Hoenn and Sinnoh rather than Unova's rather liner map...at least I hope so.

The cartoony maps hardly ever show routes on them. Its different from the game map. When we get that one we should see a fairly large abundance of routes that weren't on the cartoony map. We know there are at least 5 so far.

Years
I said like many maps as in the cartoony maps of regions past it's missing routes xD. So yeah it'll likely add in a lot of routes. I actually see the routes being curved and intersecting oddly as in france and the rest of europe a lot of old roads weren't made using rhe grid system like in the US so the curved routes would make sense.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I really like the more arty style of the map. It seems more bright and vibrant than other region maps.

Also from looking at the layout it doesn't look like the routes will be in a boring shape, they might be all over the place again like before Unova.

Years
I really like the more arty style of the map. It seems more bright and vibrant than other region maps.

Also from looking at the layout it doesn't look like the routes will be in a boring shape, they might be all over the place again like before Unova.

I agree, it seems like it'll be messy, and fun like pre Unova. Maybe it'll be like Kanto even.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
The region really looks like France with a bit of Germany, and the locations look very diverse. Just by the map alone, I'm thinking this may be my favorite region thus far.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I think it is very possible for Kalos and Unova to be linked by the way it looks. I don't know 100% though. It is probably far away by itself like Unova, but one can hope.

I would like to point out that this probably is not what the in game map will look like, they always make a 3D like map, but in game it is almost always 2D.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I think it is very possible for Kalos and Unova to be linked by the way it looks. I don't know 100% though. It is probably far away by itself like Unova, but one can hope.

Since the Routes have reset again, we can pretty much say Kalos is nowhere near Unova, just like how France is nowhere near the USA

Back