Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

TrollandToad.com
 
 
Thread Tools
  #3776    
Old May 11th, 2013 (7:19 PM).
Entermaid's Avatar
Entermaid Entermaid is offline
     
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Location: The States
    Gender: Other
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 2,148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
    Wow. There's a lot of interesting discussion going on here all of a sudden.

    Anecdote: My close friend is gay and recently he's said he misses spending time with other gays. (In our circle of friends he's the only gay guy.) From things he's said, from other bits and pieces I've scraped together it seems like gay men have and like and want to keep a specific "gays only" sphere under the feeling that on some level no one else can understand them.

    All my understanding about this group is second-hand or from observations I make as an outsider, but it does seem to have a unique kind of "boys club" mentality. I think the problem with it isn't necessarily outright hostility or hatred, but more a lack of exposure to anything dealing with women. A kind of echo chamber of maleness. Bi people, trans people, straight people - all of them have lives that typically include women or women's perspectives in one sense or another. Since gay men typically are the face of the gay community (women are a big part, of course, but they get overlooked more often) it's their views that filter out among the people, I think, and give the "gay community" this feeling of being hostile to bi/trans/etc people within its own ranks. I mean, if you looked over the people in this club here I bet you'd find that well over 50% are gay guys.

    Strangely, it doesn't really seem to work the other way around with lesbian circles because we still live in straight male society so women can't really escape that to some separate space the way gay men can. Straight men will keep trying to assert themselves in women's business so even gay girls are interacting with men fairly often.
    Don't worry, you're not the only one whose noticed this.

    I definitely see the whole "boys club" mentality in cliques. I don't have many gay friends, urm, if any, but of those I am acquainted with there are distinct characteristics they all share among groups. It's a more extreme version of, I guess, any group mentality. For instance, straight women usually bond with other straight women that share the same characteristics; yet, they are more willing to place stress on the characteristics of the group such as interests or appearance/style rather than sexuality, as it seems like straight women are more apt to include lesbian women than straight men include gay men in their inner circles. And, both heterosexual men and women naturally gravitate toward each other, even as friends and groups - yet usually their are sex-specific groups within these groups. Ultimately though, there seems to be a bit more overlap than gay-male groups.

    My experience has been the gay guy of the group, when I hang with either straight men or women, usually both simultaneously. So, there is an isolation there, a feeling of uniqueness to the group dynamic though a feeling of not belonging. I do see the attractiveness of being friends with similar gay men because one might feel more cohesive with the group, but I wouldn't want to be pigeon-holed into one specific "type". (I wonder what my gay classification I would even be? lol ) Ultimately, it would be nice to have some friends of both straight and gay, but I imagine it would be strenuous to coalesce the two; they would most likely be separate circles. Maybe this is different in more urbanized areas.

    @ Pachy, didn't mean to offend you, I was just making the point, not certain conclusion, that making inferences of hate and ignorance can be unproductive if we are not 100% sure where the remark is coming from given that the posts were not obviously or overtly transphobic as stated. Didn't mean to sound like I was on my high-horse; sometimes I too unconsciously make inferences that someone is homophobic based on a remark, but I try to employ a bit of due diligence before I assume anyone is being hateful. I mean, I make blatant "gay" jokes from time to time, and I know that I am certainly not homophobic or hateful of gays. A lot of the friends I have now, I have thought at some point in time as I was getting to know them that they had something against gay people.
    __________________
    #Team Popplio & Brionne

    Relevant Advertising!

      #3777    
    Old May 11th, 2013 (8:32 PM). Edited May 12th, 2013 by Snow Phoenix.
    Snow Phoenix's Avatar
    Snow Phoenix Snow Phoenix is offline
    The transient snowman
       
      Join Date: Dec 2008
      Location: A few miles away from a well-known college in a poorly known town.
      Age: 23
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Impish
      Posts: 979
      Interesting thoughts all across the board. I feel quite a bit different then since I live in one of the most interesting cities to be gay in. I live in Austin, Texas which despite being in Texas, is quite progressive and liberal with anything concerning gay rights. We have several strong activism groups even on campus and the political thought here is towards equal rights for all people, regardless of any identity. With that being said, I've never observed any type of cliques except for two. Like previously mentioned, I've noticed that the bears usually tend to stick to themselves at gay bars tailored to bears or at regular straight bars. We also have this really defined group of pure activists who will usually take on a gender neutral pronoun and paint their nails as a symbol of sexual freedom with strong desires to reclaim the world for gay freedom. We have a really strong (almost a bit radical at times, but I still love them) group that coheres really well together. Neither group is particularly exclusive, but they do tend to stick to themselves. So I really haven't seen Scarf's aforementioned phenomenon, but I feel as if I serve as a pretty rare exception o.o

      My previous experience with being gay in strong southern states has always been gay is a sin so cluster up in groups and defend yourselves, and the next gay guy you meet is your boyfriend since that's the only boy you're ever going to meet this far into the bible belt. So yeah. I really don't have that much experience of typical gay society. I've been out to the clubs before too and to a few parties (I give the best lap dances :3), but even still o.o' Even the really stereotypical things like twerking aren't attributed to anything other than a simple and whimsical "why not?". The clubs are a little different though since I've never really left my group of friends while I go out clubbing for safety measures :x I do live in a party city...

      Oh and I found this video which made me laugh. There's a homosexual in the neighborhood. Hide yo kids. Hide you wives =.=

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3S24ofEQj4

      Look how far we've come from black and white.
      __________________

      Credits to Jordan. Paired to Mira and ohHeyVaporeon.
        #3778    
      Old May 11th, 2013 (10:37 PM).
      FenrirDarkWolf's Avatar
      FenrirDarkWolf FenrirDarkWolf is offline
      Water Musician Fenrir
         
        Join Date: Feb 2013
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Quirky
        Posts: 140
        .........
        I have no clue what is going on here....
        Like, seriously, poor Demisexual, Biromantic, Fenrir can't understand what's going on...
        __________________

        http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296631 -My Art Den
        On AAO
        On DeviantArt
        On FurAffinity
          #3779    
        Old May 12th, 2013 (2:24 PM).
        Inkblots's Avatar
        Inkblots Inkblots is offline
           
          Join Date: Sep 2012
          Location: Canada
          Age: 27
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Calm
          Posts: 219
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by FenrirDarkWolf View Post
          .........
          I have no clue what is going on here....
          Like, seriously, poor Demisexual, Biromantic, Fenrir can't understand what's going on...
          *pat pat* don't worry, extremely asexual, aromantic Inkblots over here is feeling a little confused too. As my last post may have indicated, lol.

          I'm just gonna smile and nod and be over here wrapping my mother's day presents.
            #3780    
          Old May 12th, 2013 (2:56 PM).
          FenrirDarkWolf's Avatar
          FenrirDarkWolf FenrirDarkWolf is offline
          Water Musician Fenrir
             
            Join Date: Feb 2013
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Quirky
            Posts: 140
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
            *pat pat* don't worry, extremely asexual, aromantic Inkblots over here is feeling a little confused too. As my last post may have indicated, lol.

            I'm just gonna smile and nod and be over here wrapping my mother's day presents.
            Ohh~
            Speaking family, they know I have a boyfriend. :3
            They don't care. ^.^
            __________________

            http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296631 -My Art Den
            On AAO
            On DeviantArt
            On FurAffinity
              #3781    
            Old May 12th, 2013 (3:50 PM).
            Entermaid's Avatar
            Entermaid Entermaid is offline
               
              Join Date: Jan 2013
              Location: The States
              Gender: Other
              Nature: Adamant
              Posts: 2,148
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by FenrirDarkWolf View Post
              Ohh~
              Speaking family, they know I have a boyfriend. :3
              They don't care. ^.^
              That's always a good thing!

              Sorry about not being inclusive with the minorities of the sexual minorities you guys :p

              I don't think most people even know what asexual means to be honest. Let alone demisexual!
              Though, I am wondering myself if demisexual could be a sub-sect of any sexuality. Like, do gay men who only have sex with gay men they have a romantic and ardent connection qualify as being a demisexual homosexual. Or is it more so, demisexuals, in general, do not have a sexual preference along the lines of gender or sexual identity, and only do so based a romantic and ardent connection. Essentially, pansexual in terms of potential partner id, open to become sexually attracted to any gender identity, though ultimately can only be sexual attracted once a romantic and ardent connection is established?

              Or are both of these wrong? haha.



              Well, I can't ignore just one of you, so I have a fun asexual question too!

              Being that you are asexual, not having a sexual attraction to any gender id, I can see the appeal of a romantic relationship and associated with "sexual release", despite not having an physical attraction to the partner you are with.

              With that said, given the choice between a male and female partner and that you are not more or less attracted to either, would one seek a female, to live a life less stressful for going against cultural norms of homo-romanticism? Unless, it is easier to identify with another sexual minority, such as a homosexual male, or even with another asexual male, thus a preferred choice?

              Do either of these sentiments affect your decision of who to select as a partner?


              Can't wait to see what you guys think. Also, other people who id as either of the above questions, feel free to weigh-in as well.
              __________________
              #Team Popplio & Brionne
                #3782    
              Old May 12th, 2013 (6:48 PM). Edited May 13th, 2013 by Inkblots.
              Inkblots's Avatar
              Inkblots Inkblots is offline
                 
                Join Date: Sep 2012
                Location: Canada
                Age: 27
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Calm
                Posts: 219
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
                That's always a good thing!

                Sorry about not being inclusive with the minorities of the sexual minorities you guys :p

                I don't think most people even know what asexual means to be honest. Let alone demisexual!
                Though, I am wondering myself if demisexual could be a sub-sect of any sexuality. Like, do gay men who only have sex with gay men they have a romantic and ardent connection qualify as being a demisexual homosexual. Or is it more so, demisexuals, in general, do not have a sexual preference along the lines of gender or sexual identity, and only do so based a romantic and ardent connection. Essentially, pansexual in terms of potential partner id, open to become sexually attracted to any gender identity, though ultimately can only be sexual attracted once a romantic and ardent connection is established?

                Or are both of these wrong? haha.



                Well, I can't ignore just one of you, so I have a fun asexual question too!

                Being that you are asexual, not having a sexual attraction to any gender id, I can see the appeal of a romantic relationship and associated with "sexual release", despite not having an physical attraction to the partner you are with.

                With that said, given the choice between a male and female partner and that you are not more or less attracted to either, would one seek a female, to live a life less stressful for going against cultural norms of homo-romanticism? Unless, it is easier to identify with another sexual minority, such as a homosexual male, or even with another asexual male, thus a preferred choice?

                Do either of these sentiments affect your decision of who to select as a partner?


                Can't wait to see what you guys think. Also, other people who id as either of the above questions, feel free to weigh-in as well.
                Haha, don't worry. I can't speak for Fenrir of course, but I don't feel excluded so much as just... confused. I'm just coming to realize that I know even less than I thought I did about the whole physical/romantic attraction thing, lol. These kinds of conversations don't really come up with most of my friends. It's usually more along the lines of "damn, he's hot" and me going "uh, yeah, sure, whatever"

                To give a quick definition, a demisexual person only feels sexual attraction towards people they have an emotional connection with (in other words, a demisexual will rarely, if ever, feel attraction towards complete strangers). Someone who feels sexual attraction towards strangers, but chooses to have sex with someone they have an emotional connection to, isn't demisexual, the same way a person who feels attraction towards others, but decides to be celibate, isn't asexual. I'll let Fenrir field the more complicated attraction parts of that question, haha.

                I'm actually aromantic as well as asexual - I don't feel any romantic attraction towards anyone, and have never had any desire to be in a romantic relationship, or share the rest of my life with one particular person. The closest I've come are "squishes" (like a crush, except it's an intense desire to be friends with someone, rather than to be romantic partners with them) or the occasional fantasy about finding a queer-platonic partner/friend (also known as a zucchini) - someone (of any gender) with whom I am closer than most friends, but who isn't a romantic or monogamous partner. That said, I wouldn't want to live with said person for the rest of my life. Neighbouring apartments or sharing a duplex, something like that would be fine, but not living in the same house/apartment.

                If I HAD to choose to live with someone though, I'm not sure... it really depends more on personality than gender. All else being equal, I would probably choose to live with a straight woman. Partly because I feel like it would be easier to convince people we aren't romantically involved. And because there won't be any issues with her developing feelings for me that I won't be able to return.
                  #3783    
                Old May 12th, 2013 (7:02 PM).
                Entermaid's Avatar
                Entermaid Entermaid is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2013
                  Location: The States
                  Gender: Other
                  Nature: Adamant
                  Posts: 2,148
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
                  Haha, don't worry. I can't speak for Fenrir of course, but I don't feel excluded so much as just... confused. I'm just coming to realize that I know even less than I thought I did about the whole physical/romantic attraction thing, lol. These kinds of conversations don't really come up with most of my friends. It's usually more along the lines of "damn, he's hot" and me going "uh, yeah, sure, whatever"

                  To give a quick definition, a demisexual person only feels sexual attraction towards people they have an emotional connection with (in other words, a demisexual will rarely, if ever, feel attraction towards complete strangers). Someone who feels sexual attraction towards strangers, but chooses to have sex with someone they have an emotional connection to, isn't demisexual, the same way a person who feels attraction towards others, but decides to be celibate, isn't asexual. I'll let Fenrir field the more complicated attraction parts of that question, haha.

                  I'm actually aromantic as well as asexual - I don't feel any romantic attraction towards anyone, and have never had any desire to be in a romantic relationship, or share the rest of my life with one particular person. The closest I've come are "squishes" (like a crush, except it's an intense desire to be friends with someone, rather than to be romantic partners with them) or the occasional fantasy about finding a queer-platonic partner/friend (also known as a zucchini) - someone (of any gender) with whom I am closer than most friends, but who isn't a romantic or monogamous partner. That said, I wouldn't want to live with said person for the rest of my life. Neighbouring apartments or sharing a duplex, something like that would be fine, but not living in the same house/apartment.

                  If I HAD to choose to live with someone though, I'm not sure... it really depends more on personality than gender. All else being equal, I would probably choose to live with a straight woman. Partly because I feel like it would be easier to convince people we aren't romantically involved. And because there won't be any issues with her developing feelings for me that I won't be able to return.
                  Wow, great. Thanks for sharing.

                  I can't imagine what life would be like. If I would feel out of place or rather if I would feel less pressure or less controlled by romantic or sexual feelings. Probably a little of both...For me, I get the worst of both, feeling out of place AND all those intense romantic/sexual feelings that help us make terrible decisions! haha.

                  Aromantic, huh? Oohh, this makes this so much more interesting that it already was. Basically, you would be looking for best friend(s) to supplement partners as a very superficial way to sum things up. Though, now I am wondering, do asexual/aromantic people have any sort of physical relationship with anyone usually, even if not monogamous? I mean they still have all of the physiological responses to certain stimuli (my way of word sanitation).

                  Disclaimer, I have very little knowledge about the many sexual minorities among the sexual minorities. So bear with me :p
                  __________________
                  #Team Popplio & Brionne
                    #3784    
                  Old May 12th, 2013 (8:48 PM). Edited May 13th, 2013 by Inkblots.
                  Inkblots's Avatar
                  Inkblots Inkblots is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2012
                    Location: Canada
                    Age: 27
                    Gender: Female
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 219
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
                    Wow, great. Thanks for sharing.

                    I can't imagine what life would be like. If I would feel out of place or rather if I would feel less pressure or less controlled by romantic or sexual feelings. Probably a little of both...For me, I get the worst of both, feeling out of place AND all those intense romantic/sexual feelings that help us make terrible decisions! haha.

                    Aromantic, huh? Oohh, this makes this so much more interesting that it already was. Basically, you would be looking for best friend(s) to supplement partners as a very superficial way to sum things up. Though, now I am wondering, do asexual/aromantic people have any sort of physical relationship with anyone usually, even if not monogamous? I mean they still have all of the physiological responses to certain stimuli (my way of word sanitation).

                    Disclaimer, I have very little knowledge about the many sexual minorities among the sexual minorities. So bear with me :p
                    A little of both is definitely the best way to put it. I've been lucky in not having to deal with ignorant people directly, but I do feel excluded (and a little resentful) when I hear people talking as though every single person must find a mate of some sort in order to be "real" or "whole", and treat romantic love as the most important or "powerful" thing in the world. On the flip side, I am glad I don't have to deal with a lot of the relationship crap other people do, though I wonder if part of my intense dislike for it is that I don't understand why people go to all the trouble they do. It's kind of like, imagine you were plunked down on an alien world where colour is very important. All the aliens can see a colour that humans can't see, and that colour is the most important one of them all. You can understand that it exists, that it's located at this spot on the radiation spectrum, that these objects reflect that colour, and that the aliens describe it like this... but you still can't see the colour, and you still can't imagine what it might look like, and no matter how many times they try to explain, you still can't understand why it's so important or why they will do just about anything to own something that is that colour.

                    Looking for best friends is a good way to put it as far as physical intimacy, yes, some asexual/aromanic people do look for physical relationships, but as far as I can tell, it's not the norm, and I'm not sure what those relationships might look like for those who do seek them out (though I imagine they tend to be a non-monogamous friends-with-benefits type). I can't speak to actual numbers, but most seem to prefer to take care of any "urges" they may have (which usually seem to be less frequent and/or less intense than those of sexual people, at least from what I've gathered) on their own, rather than with a partner. A lot of aces are completely disinterested in having sex, if not somewhat disgusted by it (even if they aren't bothered by other people having sex). Speaking for myself, I can definitely say that there is very little that weirds me out more than the thought of having sex - particularly if it's with a specific person. And the better I know the person, the weirder it is to think about. I don't care if other people want to have sex, I just don't want to hear about it, haha.

                    (also, I have no problems with you, or anyone, asking as many questions as you want so don't worry about that.)
                      #3785    
                    Old May 13th, 2013 (8:28 AM).
                    FenrirDarkWolf's Avatar
                    FenrirDarkWolf FenrirDarkWolf is offline
                    Water Musician Fenrir
                       
                      Join Date: Feb 2013
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Quirky
                      Posts: 140
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
                      That's always a good thing!

                      Sorry about not being inclusive with the minorities of the sexual minorities you guys :p

                      I don't think most people even know what asexual means to be honest. Let alone demisexual!
                      Though, I am wondering myself if demisexual could be a sub-sect of any sexuality. Like, do gay men who only have sex with gay men they have a romantic and ardent connection qualify as being a demisexual homosexual. Or is it more so, demisexuals, in general, do not have a sexual preference along the lines of gender or sexual identity, and only do so based a romantic and ardent connection. Essentially, pansexual in terms of potential partner id, open to become sexually attracted to any gender identity, though ultimately can only be sexual attracted once a romantic and ardent connection is established?

                      Or are both of these wrong? haha.
                      I mean, I don't complete understand it myself. The only reason I know I'm demisexual, biromantic is because, I have felt sexual attraction to both sexes before...

                      I'm confused with all this label stuff.
                      __________________

                      http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296631 -My Art Den
                      On AAO
                      On DeviantArt
                      On FurAffinity
                        #3786    
                      Old May 13th, 2013 (10:08 AM).
                      The Doctor's Avatar
                      The Doctor The Doctor is offline
                      I've got new kidneys!
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Dec 2009
                      Location: The planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous
                      Age: 22
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Adamant
                      Posts: 959
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by FenrirDarkWolf View Post
                      I mean, I don't complete understand it myself. The only reason I know I'm demisexual, biromantic is because, I have felt sexual attraction to both sexes before...

                      I'm confused with all this label stuff.
                      Then don't label yourself as anything. Just because society forces labels onto us doesn't mean we have to agree with them and stick them onto ourselves.

                      You are who you are, nobody defines you but yourself. Take the time to understand yourself and what your feelings for different people are.
                      __________________

                      I've been here 6 years... Wow I'm old.
                        #3787    
                      Old May 13th, 2013 (12:41 PM).
                      Snow Phoenix's Avatar
                      Snow Phoenix Snow Phoenix is offline
                      The transient snowman
                         
                        Join Date: Dec 2008
                        Location: A few miles away from a well-known college in a poorly known town.
                        Age: 23
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Impish
                        Posts: 979
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by The Opera Ghost View Post
                        Then don't label yourself as anything. Just because society forces labels onto us doesn't mean we have to agree with them and stick them onto ourselves.

                        You are who you are, nobody defines you but yourself. Take the time to understand yourself and what your feelings for different people are.
                        Wise words ;o I'm no psych. major, but labels just seem to be inventions to create a piece of mind in knowing that I am "insert label here." They create that identification which states that I know what I am, but knowing what you are doesn't matter because you're you :3 Hell. Your name doesn't even mean anything if you don't want it to mean anything. But, eh. Labels can also help others get a stab at who you are too since it conjures an image of who you are based on mostly stereotypes ^.^' Can be both a good and bad thing. Since homosexual tends to carry a lot of interesting connotations... *counts the number of times he's been called the "gay best friend" in certain places or has been invited shopping based solely on sexuality*

                        I think I've felt demisexual feelings for a few woman before. Like when I dated my last girlfriend for three years, I could feel sexual attraction (as in physically with all the hormonal changes, if ya know what I mean <.<) for her whenever we experienced intense emotional experiences like indulging in sharing interests and junk like that even though typically I am very uninterested in the female anatomy. I still identify has homosexual though for a variety of reasons, namely because that identification helps me find the mate I want xP I know that I can be romantic though towards both sexes, especially more so woman x.x
                        __________________

                        Credits to Jordan. Paired to Mira and ohHeyVaporeon.
                          #3788    
                        Old May 13th, 2013 (1:35 PM). Edited August 20th, 2013 by Sanguine.
                        Sanguine's Avatar
                        Sanguine Sanguine is offline
                        malignant narcissist
                        • Gold Tier
                         
                        Join Date: May 2013
                        Location: in front of my TV
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Relaxed
                        Posts: 542
                        Ta, I would love to be a part of this.

                        Eh, I live through the stance that if I'm attracted to someone romantically and physically, I don't particularly care what gender they identify as.

                        Now, I'm not one to follow "guidelines", but if I were to use the terms you've listed on the front page, I'd say that I was pansexual xD
                        __________________
                        [00:18] +oocyst: sang is too pure
                          #3789    
                        Old May 13th, 2013 (2:12 PM). Edited May 13th, 2013 by LaVida.
                        LaVida's Avatar
                        LaVida LaVida is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2012
                          Location: Vienna
                          Age: 24
                          Gender: Female
                          Posts: 105
                          I agree with the people, who say that it is not necessary to label oneself.

                          Sexuality is a lot more fluid than most people think, so trying really hard to label oneself may be a waste of time. It may change after all. I do see, how people like to belong to a group and therefore put a label on themselves. But if it's a struggle to define one's sexuality at the moment, it might be best to simply ignore labels for the moment and just see how things are going.

                          That's my opinion, at least.
                          __________________
                          Pokémon Fan since the beginning.
                            #3790    
                          Old May 13th, 2013 (2:38 PM).
                          Inkblots's Avatar
                          Inkblots Inkblots is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Sep 2012
                            Location: Canada
                            Age: 27
                            Gender: Female
                            Nature: Calm
                            Posts: 219
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by LaVida View Post
                            I agree with the people, who say that it is not necessary to label oneself.

                            Sexuality is a lot more fluid than most people think, so trying really hard to label oneself may be a waste of time. It may change after all. I do see, how people like to belong to a group and therefore put a label on themselves. But if it's a struggle to define one's sexuality at the moment, it might be best to simply ignore labels for the moment and just see how things are going.

                            That's my opinion, at least.
                            I agree. Labels are best when treated as tools - something to pick up and use when you need, and store away when you don't.
                              #3791    
                            Old May 13th, 2013 (3:09 PM).
                            FenrirDarkWolf's Avatar
                            FenrirDarkWolf FenrirDarkWolf is offline
                            Water Musician Fenrir
                               
                              Join Date: Feb 2013
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Quirky
                              Posts: 140
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
                              I agree. Labels are best when treated as tools - something to pick up and use when you need, and store away when you don't.
                              I agree.
                              Normally, since it would be too hard to explain, I just say "I'm bi." and leave with that.
                              __________________

                              http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296631 -My Art Den
                              On AAO
                              On DeviantArt
                              On FurAffinity
                                #3792    
                              Old May 13th, 2013 (3:17 PM).
                              XIII's Avatar
                              XIII XIII is offline
                              don't you remember?
                              • Crystal Tier
                               
                              Join Date: May 2011
                              Age: 19
                              Posts: 1,835
                              I think labels are sometimes helpful and sometimes hurtful. Sometimes I like to say (like fenrir) "I'm lesbian" because it helps simplify things. I don't like going around saying "I'm a demisexual which means blah blah blah, and I'm also blah blah blah, and sometimes men are attractive, but I don't like them sexually or romantically, but women are awesome, but also blah blah blah" and I simplify it to "lesbian".
                              __________________
                              let's meet again
                              in the next life
                              (tumblr)
                                #3793    
                              Old May 13th, 2013 (6:56 PM).
                              Inkblots's Avatar
                              Inkblots Inkblots is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Sep 2012
                                Location: Canada
                                Age: 27
                                Gender: Female
                                Nature: Calm
                                Posts: 219
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
                                I think labels are sometimes helpful and sometimes hurtful. Sometimes I like to say (like fenrir) "I'm lesbian" because it helps simplify things. I don't like going around saying "I'm a demisexual which means blah blah blah, and I'm also blah blah blah, and sometimes men are attractive, but I don't like them sexually or romantically, but women are awesome, but also blah blah blah" and I simplify it to "lesbian".
                                Haha, yeah, exactly. It simplifies things, especially if you're talking to a stranger. A friend? Yeah, I'd probably go into more detail, but not with a stranger, unless they ask.

                                Unfortunately for me though, 90% of the people I meet have no concept of what ace or asexual means, so I end up having to explain it in detail anyway, haha. Most of the time with strangers, I just avoid the topic all together. I'm not very eloquent in real life, especially if confronted about anything.

                                I work at an electronics store, and I cannot believe how many people (mostly older men) make some casual comment about my "future husband." They're usually in the form of compliments, or, alternatively, it's the "never get married" advice from someone who's just had a fight with their spouse (this comes from a lot of my married friends as well, even the ones that know I'm ace!). It always makes me very uncomfortable, and it's gotten very tiresome to realize exactly how many people just assume that everyone they meet is straight.
                                  #3794    
                                Old May 13th, 2013 (8:21 PM).
                                XIII's Avatar
                                XIII XIII is offline
                                don't you remember?
                                • Crystal Tier
                                 
                                Join Date: May 2011
                                Age: 19
                                Posts: 1,835
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
                                Haha, yeah, exactly. It simplifies things, especially if you're talking to a stranger. A friend? Yeah, I'd probably go into more detail, but not with a stranger, unless they ask.

                                Unfortunately for me though, 90% of the people I meet have no concept of what ace or asexual means, so I end up having to explain it in detail anyway, haha. Most of the time with strangers, I just avoid the topic all together. I'm not very eloquent in real life, especially if confronted about anything.

                                I work at an electronics store, and I cannot believe how many people (mostly older men) make some casual comment about my "future husband." They're usually in the form of compliments, or, alternatively, it's the "never get married" advice from someone who's just had a fight with their spouse (this comes from a lot of my married friends as well, even the ones that know I'm ace!). It always makes me very uncomfortable, and it's gotten very tiresome to realize exactly how many people just assume that everyone they meet is straight.
                                Yeah but to be fair, asexual is not a common thing. About 0.05% of everyone I've ever known is asexual, so it helps explain why most of society has no idea what it is.

                                When you explain it, all you have to say (without going into the specifics because I don't know your case) is, "I am not sexually/romantically attracted to anyone, period." (If that's your case).

                                Short and sweet and it stops people from saying that stuff.

                                But again I wish people would be more conscious of the different sexualities, but please do remember that a lot of people are hard headed and will say "oh you haven't met the right gal/guy that's why you don't like any of them. :(
                                __________________
                                let's meet again
                                in the next life
                                (tumblr)
                                  #3795    
                                Old May 13th, 2013 (10:30 PM).
                                Entermaid's Avatar
                                Entermaid Entermaid is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jan 2013
                                  Location: The States
                                  Gender: Other
                                  Nature: Adamant
                                  Posts: 2,148
                                  Labeling can get a bit out of hand. Especially with the whole top vs bottom (or "versatile" dilemma; I've been asked by friends or acquaintance all of the time, which one I am. This is even common amongst gay circles.

                                  I just want to say, do I ask you explicit details about your sex life? It's just assumed that the man is the top and the woman is the bottom in the relationship, it's easier for many people to help explain behavior they have little knowledge of more concretely and in terms that they understand better such as the sex dichotomy of heterosexuality. Though in some relationships, there is a clear dichotomy of dominance, a lot of the time there is not.
                                  __________________
                                  #Team Popplio & Brionne
                                    #3796    
                                  Old May 13th, 2013 (11:51 PM).
                                  Alice's Avatar
                                  Alice Alice is offline
                                  (>^.(>0.0)>
                                  • Crystal Tier
                                   
                                  Join Date: Mar 2009
                                  Location: Oregon
                                  Age: 25
                                  Gender: Female
                                  Nature: Careful
                                  Posts: 3,081
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
                                  Labeling can get a bit out of hand. Especially with the whole top vs bottom (or "versatile" dilemma; I've been asked by friends or acquaintance all of the time, which one I am. This is even common amongst gay circles.

                                  I just want to say, do I ask you explicit details about your sex life? It's just assumed that the man is the top and the woman is the bottom in the relationship, it's easier for many people to help explain behavior they have little knowledge of more concretely and in terms that they understand better such as the sex dichotomy of heterosexuality. Though in some relationships, there is a clear dichotomy of dominance, a lot of the time there is not.
                                  I've always just wanted a completely equal relationship, regardless of gender... I don't think one person should have to fit any sort of role. That's not to say that you can't have a preference of course, because I do... it's just that... uh, I guess I just don't like gender roles in general. lol
                                    #3797    
                                  Old May 14th, 2013 (1:40 AM).
                                  Branellope's Avatar
                                  Branellope Branellope is offline
                                  THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
                                     
                                    Join Date: Apr 2013
                                    Location: Manchester, England
                                    Age: 22
                                    Gender: Female
                                    Nature: Sassy
                                    Posts: 83
                                    I'll join. I'm pansexual and, I guess, genderless because I don't feel comfortable being only one gender or both "natural" genders.
                                    But yeah, I'm totally in.
                                    __________________
                                    Watch this wicked Pokémon Battle, and PM me if you want a battle. Also watch me talking about how I flirted with famous people.
                                    "A good trainer wins despite hinderances" - Serebii
                                    "I can't drown my demons, they know how to swim" - Bring Me The Horizon - Can You Feel My Heart
                                      #3798    
                                    Old May 14th, 2013 (4:39 PM).
                                    XIII's Avatar
                                    XIII XIII is offline
                                    don't you remember?
                                    • Crystal Tier
                                     
                                    Join Date: May 2011
                                    Age: 19
                                    Posts: 1,835
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Branellope View Post
                                    I'll join. I'm pansexual and, I guess, genderless because I don't feel comfortable being only one gender or both "natural" genders.
                                    But yeah, I'm totally in.
                                    Awesome! Welcome to the awesome LGBTetc thread :D

                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
                                    I've always just wanted a completely equal relationship, regardless of gender... I don't think one person should have to fit any sort of role. That's not to say that you can't have a preference of course, because I do... it's just that... uh, I guess I just don't like gender roles in general. lol
                                    I feel the same way. I don't feel dominant or submissive and I think being either would be unfair to the other partner. :(
                                    __________________
                                    let's meet again
                                    in the next life
                                    (tumblr)
                                      #3799    
                                    Old May 14th, 2013 (6:35 PM). Edited May 14th, 2013 by Inkblots.
                                    Inkblots's Avatar
                                    Inkblots Inkblots is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Sep 2012
                                      Location: Canada
                                      Age: 27
                                      Gender: Female
                                      Nature: Calm
                                      Posts: 219
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
                                      Yeah but to be fair, asexual is not a common thing. About 0.05% of everyone I've ever known is asexual, so it helps explain why most of society has no idea what it is.

                                      When you explain it, all you have to say (without going into the specifics because I don't know your case) is, "I am not sexually/romantically attracted to anyone, period." (If that's your case).

                                      Short and sweet and it stops people from saying that stuff.

                                      But again I wish people would be more conscious of the different sexualities, but please do remember that a lot of people are hard headed and will say "oh you haven't met the right gal/guy that's why you don't like any of them.
                                      Oh yeah, I do understand that it's uncommon, and thus not many people have heard of it, and I don't mind that so much. It's the fact that most people I've met aren't satisfied with the "I'm not sexually or romantically attracted to people" explanation, and seem to require proof that I am what I say I am. I haven't had it nearly as bad as some aces, and definitely not as bad as gay/bi/pan individuals, I'll admit that, but even my best friend told me that I "don't get out enough" when I came out to her (she quickly apologized when I gave her "the look" and has been supportive since, but still...). A couple of other friends asked if it could be a hormonal problem, and a few just continue to treat me as though I'm completely straight. It's just kind of discouraging, you know? And it's part of why I still haven't come out to my immediate family, because I KNOW that I'll get the "you're too young to know what you want/WE MUST GET YOU TO A DOCTOR" lecture.

                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
                                      Labeling can get a bit out of hand. Especially with the whole top vs bottom (or "versatile" dilemma; I've been asked by friends or acquaintance all of the time, which one I am. This is even common amongst gay circles.

                                      I just want to say, do I ask you explicit details about your sex life? It's just assumed that the man is the top and the woman is the bottom in the relationship, it's easier for many people to help explain behavior they have little knowledge of more concretely and in terms that they understand better such as the sex dichotomy of heterosexuality. Though in some relationships, there is a clear dichotomy of dominance, a lot of the time there is not.
                                      Oh god, I hear ya. One of the most common questions I get asked (online anyway, I have yet to have met someone ballsy enough to ask me in person): "so... do you masturbate?"

                                      Um, excuse me? Since when is that an appropriate question to ask a complete stranger? I don't mind if someone asks something like that along the lines of of "In general, do aces do this?" but to ask me directly if I do it? Uh, no. Sometimes I might volunteer personal information when being asked a general question, but otherwise, no. My personal life is none of your business, thank you.
                                        #3800    
                                      Old May 15th, 2013 (2:08 AM).
                                      LaVida's Avatar
                                      LaVida LaVida is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Nov 2012
                                        Location: Vienna
                                        Age: 24
                                        Gender: Female
                                        Posts: 105
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
                                        Oh yeah, I do understand that it's uncommon, and thus not many people have heard of it, and I don't mind that so much. It's the fact that most people I've met aren't satisfied with the "I'm not sexually or romantically attracted to people" explanation, and seem to require proof that I am what I say I am. I haven't had it nearly as bad as some aces, and definitely not as bad as gay/bi/pan individuals, I'll admit that, but even my best friend told me that I "don't get out enough" when I came out to her (she quickly apologized when I gave her "the look" and has been supportive since, but still...). A couple of other friends asked if it could be a hormonal problem, and a few just continue to treat me as though I'm completely straight. It's just kind of discouraging, you know? And it's part of why I still haven't come out to my immediate family, because I KNOW that I'll get the "you're too young to know what you want/WE MUST GET YOU TO A DOCTOR" lecture.
                                        I bet that must be a struggle to deal with. You know, I always thought that it is not so important to come out to one's family. Maybe, you could keep it to yourself a while longer until you feel more confident in coming out.

                                        By the way, on a small note, I used to think that I was an aromantic ace as well until I got my first boyfriend. A little bit later, I figured out that I liked girls as well so yeah... I kinda went from asexual -> heterosexual -> bisexual... who knows, what happens next? :D
                                        __________________
                                        Pokémon Fan since the beginning.
                                         

                                        Quick Reply

                                        Join the conversation!

                                        Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                        Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                        Sponsored Links
                                        Thread Tools

                                        Posting Rules
                                        You may not post new threads
                                        You may not post replies
                                        You may not post attachments
                                        You may not edit your posts

                                        BB code is On
                                        Smilies are On
                                        [IMG] code is On
                                        HTML code is Off

                                        Forum Jump


                                        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:55 AM.