• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen Pokeathlon!

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2016
What do you guys think about the Pokeathlon? What is your team? What is your strategy?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
The Pokeathlon was an amazing feature to HG/SS, for me personally. It's probably one of my favourite additions to the game as it's unlike all the other additional mini-games in other generations and spinoffs. Usually I find myself rather disliking the mini-games in Pokemon other than the poffin baking and I thought this would be as boring, but how wrong I was to judge that!

Really it's a great way to take a break from continuous training and it's essentially competition in a whole new way. The events were fun to partake in, the contestants were rather good and the Supreme Cup was an interesting concept as you got to participate against famous people in the Pokemon world.

For the first time, I was hooked for hours in a Pokemon mini-game and not to mention, the prizes were fantastic as well. You could get items that weren't usually available till post-game early and that was great! The prizes were affordable as well only costing at most 5000 Pokeathlon points or even lower from memory. But yeah overall I loved the Pokeathlon and I hope it makes a return in future games!

I didn't really have a strategy honestly. But usually for each course, I would use Pokemon from my team that had the best stats overall in that course (e.g. Pokemon with the most stamina participates in the stamina course) But I found myself mainly using Crobat and Espeon throughout my playthrough.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I love the PokeAthlon, although I never really strategised a whole deal. I chose teams that woud excel at the essence of the three minigames. (Speed, Power, Stamina etc), but I never used Aprijuice (I think it's called)...because sometimes it had nasty effects.

Treetwig

Banned for being awesome
Years
I love pokeathlon! Haha and my strategies is just relax don't panic hahaha and my team is Gallade,Dragonite,Staraptor

Ps:They are all-around type you can use them in any events

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Even with the juice that helps in pokethlon I was not really the best at it. I always choose the wrong pokemon for each of the events. I guess I did not really understand the way it worked.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
The Pokeathlon is a great addition! I love simple minigames to waste time on, and this was no exception. When I tried it out, I only picked random Pokemon that I had whose stats would make them okay at the competition. I haven't gone out of my way to do more than try it out though. Haven't even thought of using Aprijuice, and I haven't researched that enough to know much of how it work.

Years
I was really good at the Speed course in the Pokeathlon, where I know my team always had to include Pidgeot.

The addition of the Pokeathlon in general was a great idea, as it moved away from the Contests that we'd seen the past couple of games into some skill testing, but simple mini-games. I hope that we can see the return of it at some point down the road, since I wasn't really a fan of either the Contests or the Musical at all.

Years
I actually loved the Pokeathlon, it added some neat stuff that made HG/SS better than it's original 2nd Generation counterparts. The shop has some nice evolution items and stones available to buy, with even more becoming accessible after the National Dex.

It was a nice change from the Contests in previous games and it gave us a new use for Apricorns other than just making them into Poke Balls. I often competed in the Stamina course most, with my Miltank as my star Pokemon. My usual strategy was to just keep going until I needed to switch Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 28, 2013
Pokeathlon is great to enjoy a little if you're bored of battles.

It was definetely one of the most creative quests created by GF, better and cooler than Contests, IMO.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
First time I played through HeartGold I absolutely hated it. But last time, i absolutely loved it. I did quite well too...particularly on the strength course, set some pretty high records (something to do with a rather bulky pokémon team, I imagine :) ).

It's definitely the most innovative side-quest mini-game addition in Gen IV, way superior in its use of the stylus to Poffin baking, and much more fun than contests as you never feel hard done by like you do in contests where lack of quality poffins means you can't win.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I like the Pokéathlon, tbh; it gave me something else to do besides battling and traveling. I don't specialize in a particular strategy; I use random Pokémon that complement their stats well and hope for the best.

Falsever

Nation Blue
Years
Pokéathlon is just amazing! I always have fun with this. :3
Well, I hope this will be back in newer games.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Love Pokethlon! I never had a real strategy, but sometimes I'd go out and catch a bunch of random Pokemon just so that when I did go there, I didn't have a limited pool and had more options so that I could win and get more points haha. It's a much better way to win cool prizes like Evolution Stones than some other methods, like dustcloud hunting in Gen V.

Back