ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old May 27th, 2013 (10:05 PM).
Oh Hai Thar~
  • Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
1.5) Can you link me to it?
It's in HackMew's Tool Thread.

Quote:
2) What?! Even if I'm using JPAN's Engine?!
That I am not sure. I don't hack FireRed, but those types of flags are used by the game for rock smashable rocks, cuttable trees, etc. At least, in Ruby they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangoMango View Post
Having problems with unLZ, I've got my sprites indexed 64x64 with 16 colors, but when I try to write to ROM they don't transfer over and it just messed up the palette of the ingame sprite it was supposed to overwrite instead, like so. I even tried just saving default sprites like Venusaur and then overwriting another sprite with it, but it did the same thing. Pretty common problem I assume. Tips?
Close Unlz-GBA, go to your ROM's folder, and delete the files with the .spr and .pal extensions.
And then open your ROM with Unlz-GBA once again.

FC: 0061-1111-6462
TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Relevant Advertising!

Old May 27th, 2013 (10:13 PM).

Nature: Impish
    Quote:
    Like what I said to the other guy who asked that, use Wichu's Sprite Editor Instead, it automatically indexes and fixes everything for you.
    Works beautifully, thanks buddy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
    Close Unlz-GBA, go to your ROM's folder, and delete the files with the .spr and .pal extensions.
    And then open your ROM with Unlz-GBA once again.
    Cool, I'll save this for future reference, thanks man.
    Old May 28th, 2013 (12:00 AM).
    Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
      Okay I have some questions!

1) We all know that Mastermind_X made an ASM Code to create unlimited shinies but, how do we make it so that the Player will NEVER EVER encounter a shiny?
      Hmm maybe if you NEVER want to encounter them you could replace all shiny sprites with regular. Tedious but I guess it'll work
      Old May 28th, 2013 (12:06 AM).

Nature: Quirky
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
        Hmm maybe if you NEVER want to encounter them you could replace all shiny sprites with regular. Tedious but I guess it'll work
        Yes the sprites would change but the sparkles that appear on shinies will still appear. Thanks for your opinion though.

Old May 28th, 2013 (12:31 AM).
        Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
          Yes the sprites would change but the sparkles that appear on shinies will still appear. Thanks for your opinion though.
          You could always edit the images in UnLz, just have no clue where they are.
          Old May 28th, 2013 (12:36 AM).

Quote:
            You could always edit the images in UnLz, just have no clue where they are.
            Nononononoooo! Have you seen a shiny yet in game? There some features that only appear on shinies so even editing the sprites but not modifying the engine and still encountering shinies even if they look normal, several things and events occur. Okay, bye! Gotta go!

Old May 28th, 2013 (12:51 AM).
            Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
              Nononononoooo! Have you seen a shiny yet in game? There some features that only appear on shinies so even editing the sprites but not modifying the engine and still encountering shinies even if they look normal, several things and events occur. Okay, bye! Gotta go!
              Why can't you just make the stars transparent. and that way with the sprite as normal nothing changes
              Old May 28th, 2013 (2:33 AM).
              What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
                Quote:
                Well, you simply eliminate the checks for shiny pokemon. In my research, I came across the palette loader for shinies. After some crazy calculations on the PID:p, it simply compares the output to 7. If less than, it loads the shiny palettet, if not, it loads the regular palette. I'm sure similar routines are used to load the stars and such. If you change those checks to "nop", then it should never use them and no shiny should ever appear.

Paired with Simba
                Old May 28th, 2013 (2:48 AM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                  Well, you simply eliminate the checks for shiny pokemon. In my research, I came across the palette loader for shinies. After some crazy calculations on the PID:p, it simply compares the output to 7. If less than, it loads the shiny palettet, if not, it loads the regular palette. I'm sure similar routines are used to load the stars and such. If you change those checks to "nop", then it should never use them and no shiny should ever appear.
                  Oh hey it's karatekid552! About that, where could those checks be?

And about this:
                  Quote:
                  2) I'm trying to compile this script:
                  Code:
                  #dynamic 0x750000

#org @start
                  lock
                  checkflag 0x1
                  if 0x1 goto @ka
                  checkflag 0x2
                  if 0x1 goto @fuu
                  checkflag 0x3
                  if 0x1 goto @rai
                  checkflag 0x4
                  if 0x1 goto @do
                  checkflag 0x5
                  if 0x1 goto @sui
                  release
                  end

#org @ka
                  warp 0x3 0x1 0x1 0xC 0xC
                  release
                  end

#org @fuu
                  warp 0x3 0x2 0x1 0xC 0xC
                  release
                  end

#org @rai
                  warp 0x3 0x3 0x1 0xC 0xC
                  release
                  end

#org @do
                  warp 0x3 0x4 0x1 0xC 0xC
                  release
                  end

#org @sui
                  warp 0x3 0x5 0x1 0xC 0xC
                  release
                  end
                  It should warp to a map according to the flag set but it doesn't work. That is originally made for a Signpost event but it didn't work. I tried setting it on a Script Event, didn't work, again. (Note: Of course I set the Var Thingies on the Script Event!) And I tried it on a Person Event but it didn't work either. What's wrong?
                  Is what destinedjagold said right, which is "2. Try changing the flags that you are checking. I believe those flags you are using are automatically being restarted by the ROM."?

And I'm using JAPN's FR Engine.

Old May 28th, 2013 (3:01 AM).

Quote:
                    Oh hey it's karatekid552! About that, where could those checks be?

And about this:

Is what destinedjagold said right, which is "2. Try changing the flags that you are checking. I believe those flags you are using are automatically being restarted by the ROM."?

And I'm using JAPN's FR Engine.
                    One of the checks is in the routine at 0x440F4. You will need to use ASM to find the others.

Flag 0x1..... You need to start checking the lists from DavidJCobb. That flag is sooo temporary, I could sneeze and it would have problems staying set and JPAN's engine doesn't add any more safe flags.

Paired with Simba
                    Old May 28th, 2013 (3:13 AM).
                    Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
                      Quote:
                      One of the checks is in the routine at 0x440F4. You will need to use ASM to find the others.

Flag 0x1..... You need to start checking the lists from DavidJCobb. That flag is sooo temporary, I could sneeze and it would have problems staying set and JPAN's engine doesn't add any more safe flags.
                      Would it be worthwhile to release the code I made which adds a bunch of new safe flags and vars, do you think? It carries a problem in that it necessitates the use of JPAN's save block hack, which very few people can correctly insert, and that any already in progress hack will need to be restarted (from a playing perspective, not a hacking perspective).
                      Old May 28th, 2013 (3:15 AM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
                        Would it be worthwhile to release the code I made which adds a bunch of new safe flags and vars, do you think? It carries a problem in that it necessitates the use of JPAN's save block hack, which very few people can correctly insert, and that any already in progress hack will need to be restarted (from a playing perspective, not a hacking perspective).
                        Jambo, remember, we made the patch? The one for the save-block hack? So that no one would ever have to go through those troubles again? So that part is easy, but the code you wrote would deffinaetly be worth it.

Paired with Simba
                        Old May 28th, 2013 (3:29 AM).

Quote:

Sorry for the late reply. So what's a very ideal and easy to remember flag that is safe to use? Can I use 0x300 and up? Because I'm gonna use a straight set of 250 flags and I don't wanna overlap anything. And also sorry, I thought removing the 0x(00)1 would affect it. Heheheh... And I've been quite forgetful these days. Oh and at one point of time, I made a setflag 0x1 in one map then a checkflag 0x1 in another map but it worked so I thought it would be safe now...

Quote:
                          Quote:
                          Jambo, remember, we made the patch? The one for the save-block hack? So that no one would ever have to go through those troubles again? So that part is easy, but the code you wrote would deffinaetly be worth it.
                          Is this the patch you guys are talking about? Which flags and vars does it make safe to use and how many are they?

Old May 28th, 2013 (3:35 AM).
                          Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
                            Quote:
                            Is this the patch you guys are talking about? Which flags and vars does it make safe to use and how many are they?
                            That patch doesn't make it safe in and of itself to use vars/flags, but it's the first step in a few of getting safe vars and flags.

I have code made to take advantage of the newly freed up save space and make new variables and flags which are safe to use. I haven't released it and I was wondering if I should. It's not easy to use (albeit easier than JPAN's code).
                            Old May 28th, 2013 (3:43 AM).
                            Everyone currently in an argument with this member: I really suggest you stop.
                            • Gold Tier

Quote:
                            Sorry for the late reply. So what's a very ideal and easy to remember flag that is safe to use? Can I use 0x300 and up? Because I'm gonna use a straight set of 250 flags and I don't wanna overlap anything. And also sorry, I thought removing the 0x(00)1 would affect it. :P Heheheh... And I've been quite forgetful these days. Oh and at one point of time, I made a setflag 0x1 in one map then a checkflag 0x1 in another map but it worked so I thought it would be safe now...

Flags 0x200-0x2FF are safe I'm pretty sure. In that space, you have 255 flags to use which is enough for what you wanted. I think Karatekid told me that so blame him if something goes wrong ;D
                            Old May 28th, 2013 (3:49 AM). Edited May 28th, 2013 by BlackWhiteRobin.

Quote:
                              That patch doesn't make it safe in and of itself to use vars/flags, but it's the first step in a few of getting safe vars and flags.

I have code made to take advantage of the newly freed up save space and make new variables and flags which are safe to use. I haven't released it and I was wondering if I should. It's not easy to use (albeit easier than JPAN's code).
                              But can it be used on the engine?

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
                              Flags 0x200-0x2FF are safe I'm pretty sure. In that space, you have 255 flags to use which is enough for what you wanted. I think Karatekid told me that so blame him if something goes wrong ;D
                              Actually, no. One is used:

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by DavidJCobb View Post
                              Flag 0x266 appears to be directly manipulated by the game engine. If set, there is an EGG waiting for you in the Four Island Daycare Center. It is unset manually by scripts if you choose to discard the egg.
                              I have to use a straight list.

EDIT: Also another question. Does this only make the images appear or does it also apply the Physical/Special Split?

If it doesn't, Can someone link me to a patch that apply the Physical/Special Split? The one Doesntknowhowtoplay made makes moves deal like 3HP damage just like that. I think it went overboard or is it really supposed to be like that?

Old May 28th, 2013 (4:03 AM).

Quote:
                                But can it be used on the engine?

Actually, no. One is used:

I have to use a straight list.
                                Yes it can be. JPAN's engine and his save block hack should be compatible, seeing as he made both and they affect different things.

Aww you have to check the list:p.

Paired with Simba
                                Old May 28th, 2013 (4:26 AM).

Quote:
                                  Yes it can be. JPAN's engine and his save block hack should be compatible, seeing as he made both and they affect different things.

Aww you have to check the list:p.
                                  Then Jambo should release the code which makes some flags and vars safe.

Oh. I. Am. So. Dumb.

Old May 28th, 2013 (5:01 AM).
                                  Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Sorry for asking the same question again but how do I repoint the overworlds so the frames load correctly? I have repointed the frames images so I don't think they are the problem...
                                    Old May 28th, 2013 (5:53 AM).

Any thoughts on getting around these unhandled exception errors in APSE? I am but a Vulpix's hair away from realizing my dream of changing an Oddish into a Venusaur.
                                      Old May 28th, 2013 (6:10 AM).
                                      BlackWhiteRobin BlackWhiteRobin is offline

Quote:
                                        Any thoughts on getting around these unhandled exception errors in APSE? I am but a Vulpix's hair away from realizing my dream of changing an Oddish into a Venusaur.
                                        Your Front Sprite has more than 16 colors. Check it in either Photoshop or Irfanview.

Old May 28th, 2013 (6:10 AM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                          Quote:
                                          Sorry for asking the same question again but how do I repoint the overworlds so the frames load correctly? I have repointed the frames images so I don't think they are the problem...
                                          Use NSE. It will repoint and do all of that for you.

Paired with Simba
                                          Old May 28th, 2013 (6:45 AM).

Quote:
                                            Your Front Sprite has more than 16 colors. Check it in either Photoshop or Irfanview.
                                            Sometimes that does the trick, but once I've cleared getting the sprite into APSE, I get an unhandled exception error when I click Write to ROM. Never gotten past that point so far.

Is the error happening because the shiny sprite is messed up? http://i.imgur.com/roSUHjg.png
                                            Old May 28th, 2013 (6:49 AM).
                                            BlackWhiteRobin BlackWhiteRobin is offline

Quote:
                                              Sometimes that does the trick, but once I've cleared getting the sprite into APSE, I get an unhandled exception error when I click Write to ROM. Never gotten past that point so far.
                                              Can you press the Details Button, scroll to the bottom and post a screenshot or at least write what it says there?

Old May 28th, 2013 (6:52 AM). Edited May 28th, 2013 by ZangoMango.

Sure. Here's the Details log:
                                                Spoiler:
                                                See the end of this message for details on invoking
                                                just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
                                                System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
                                                at Sprite_Editor.RomFunctions.ConvertStringToByteArray(String& str)
                                                at Sprite_Editor.SpriteData.GetCompressedData(Int32 species)
                                                at Sprite_Editor.Form1.WriteToROMButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                                                at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
                                                at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
                                                at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
                                                at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
                                                at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
                                                at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
                                                at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
                                                at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
                                                mscorlib
                                                Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
                                                Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
                                                CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
                                                ----------------------------------------
                                                Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor
                                                Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
                                                Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
                                                CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/HP/Desktop/ROM%20Hackin/advanced%20series/Advanced%20Pok%E9mon%20Sprite%20Editor.exe
                                                Microsoft.VisualBasic
                                                Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
                                                Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
                                                CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
                                                System
                                                Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
                                                CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
                                                System.Windows.Forms
                                                Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
                                                CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
                                                System.Drawing
                                                Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
                                                CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
                                                System.Runtime.Remoting
                                                Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
                                                CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
                                                System.Core
                                                Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
                                                Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
                                                CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
                                                System.Xml
                                                Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
                                                CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
                                                To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
                                                application or computer (machine.config) must have the
                                                jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
                                                The application must also be compiled with debugging
                                                enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
                                                <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
                                                </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
                                                will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
                                                rather than be handled by this dialog box.

And here's what my shiny sprite looks like, if you think it may be causing the error:
                                                Spoiler:

Edit: I just made the shiny look the same as the normal sprite, just to put an okay looking sprite in there, but same error. Hm
                                                Closed Thread
                                                Quick Reply

Sponsored Links