Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old June 6th, 2013 (3:20 PM).
Broken_Arrow's Avatar
Broken_Arrow Broken_Arrow is offline
Paper plane~
  • Gold Tier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dragons Nest~
Gender: Female
Nature: Careful
Posts: 1,209
Do you pray?? how often do you do that?? would you make a prayer for someone you love and believe in it being received? what do you think about praying??

share your opinions and thoughts without insulting any others beliefs!

Mike is yours now..speak! :33
__________________
A Caterpie may change into a Butterfree, but the heart that beats inside remains the same.
Brock – Pokemon

Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #2    
Old June 6th, 2013 (3:37 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler Kanzler is offline
naughty biscotti
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 5,897
I'm not religious and I don't pray. I've been part of a prayer for a friend in a medical emergency though (it was pretty scary), and it was a really nice gesture. But that's all it means for me, more of an expression of solidarity than a request for anything.
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old June 6th, 2013 (3:51 PM).
Broken_Arrow's Avatar
Broken_Arrow Broken_Arrow is offline
Paper plane~
  • Gold Tier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dragons Nest~
Gender: Female
Nature: Careful
Posts: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
I'm not religious and I don't pray. I've been part of a prayer for a friend in a medical emergency though (it was pretty scary), and it was a really nice gesture. But that's all it means for me, more of an expression of solidarity than a request for anything.
But IMO,prayers has nothing to do with being religious! doing prayers is hoping for something to happen and repeating it as a secret words only you know..religious or not someone up there listening ..honesty is all what it cost not religious ^^
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old June 6th, 2013 (3:51 PM).
XIII's Avatar
XIII XIII is offline
don't you remember?
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: May 2011
Age: 18
Posts: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
I'm not religious and I don't pray. I've been part of a prayer for a friend in a medical emergency though (it was pretty scary), and it was a really nice gesture. But that's all it means for me, more of an expression of solidarity than a request for anything.
Same here... I am not religious because to me it is a waste of time.

I used to be though.
__________________
let's meet again
in the next life
(tumblr)
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old June 6th, 2013 (4:03 PM).
Broken_Arrow's Avatar
Broken_Arrow Broken_Arrow is offline
Paper plane~
  • Gold Tier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dragons Nest~
Gender: Female
Nature: Careful
Posts: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post

I used to be though.
Would it be rude if i asked what happened?..if so..i'm a curious rude girl :3
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old June 8th, 2013 (9:16 AM).
Esper's Avatar
Esper Esper is offline
  • Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 10,546
When I was little I wished on shooting stars and stuff like that, but I've never prayed. I never ran in religious circles either so I was never part of a group who prayed although I have of course expressed openly that I hope X happens for y and so on.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old June 8th, 2013 (10:07 AM).
Kotone's Avatar
Kotone Kotone is offline
we're all soldiers now.
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: somewhere ;]
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Posts: 2,726
I am religious, but not like serious though. I don't really pray that much anymore.
__________________

//theme//pair//the legend of pokecommunity//
Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old June 8th, 2013 (10:11 AM).
droomph's Avatar
droomph droomph is offline
weeb
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nowhere spectacular
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Posts: 4,291
I want it to be something like it's meant to be, but it just feels cheesy in some way or another.

…………………………maybe it's just me.
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old June 8th, 2013 (10:25 AM). Edited June 8th, 2013 by tnfsf11.
tnfsf11
Guest
     
    Posts: n/a
    Yes I pray, and as someone whose religion begins with "I" I pray 5 times a day, but our praying system is different so don't judge.
    However, I'm not a religion-crazy person like most of them out there, my belief in God is something that concerns me only, I keep my thoughts to myself & let everyone live.
    I would pray for anyone, even if he/she did something bad, & I'm not the one who should be judging people & hating them & whatsoever.
    BTW, "Amen" exists in our religion too
    Reply With Quote
      #10    
    Old June 8th, 2013 (11:15 AM).
    Amore's Avatar
    Amore Amore is offline
    • Gold Tier
     
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Age: 22
    Posts: 3,881
    No, I don't pray. I don't even nod my head anymore during school services. I was confirmed into the church but didn't even pray then. I don't believe in it as there's no proof of God, and even less proof that prayers are answered. God could potentially exist I guess (hasn't truly been disproved until we know every inch of the universe), but I don't see any evidence that praying works.
    __________________
    "I am Aron Man"
    Reply With Quote
      #11    
    Old June 8th, 2013 (1:05 PM).
    Treecko's Avatar
    Treecko Treecko is offline
    im back
    • Gold Tier
     
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: St.Louis,Missouri
    Age: 25
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Modest
    Posts: 5,769
    I pray than most people here it seems. I'm Catholic and used to be really religious and involved in religious groups and such and was told before "too spend at least 5-10 minutes a day devoted to prayer as it helps build a relationship with God". Which I agree with, but a lot of time I just prayer when in need or things or having problems and struggles. Usually I just pray at night before sleeping and to bless my food before meals. Just how I grew up is all. While I do believe that prayer helps, I also believe you can't just pray to solve your problems. You also have to take actions on yourself and the help of others if needed and not just relay on a spiritual being for everything. That's what I believe.
    __________________
    im back
    Reply With Quote
      #12    
    Old June 8th, 2013 (1:22 PM).
    Honest's Avatar
    Honest Honest is offline
    شكرا
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: New York City
    Age: 21
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Jolly
    Posts: 11,805
    I'm a Muslim, but I don't pray. I'm not the most religious person out there (far from it). I understand how people can say that being religious and praying don't directly correlate, but I have to differ. I mean, by praying, I'm asking god for assistance. If I'm not religious, won't that make me a hypocrite.

    I wouldn't be lying if i said laziness is also a factor.
    __________________
    he did it, not me.
    Reply With Quote
      #13    
    Old June 9th, 2013 (2:52 AM).
    tnfsf11
    Guest
       
      Posts: n/a
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by AWsquared View Post
      I pray than most people here it seems. I'm Catholic and used to be really religious and involved in religious groups and such and was told before "too spend at least 5-10 minutes a day devoted to prayer as it helps build a relationship with God". Which I agree with, but a lot of time I just prayer when in need or things or having problems and struggles. Usually I just pray at night before sleeping and to bless my food before meals. Just how I grew up is all. While I do believe that prayer helps, I also believe you can't just pray to solve your problems. You also have to take actions on yourself and the help of others if needed and not just relay on a spiritual being for everything. That's what I believe.
      Wow I'm actually like you a lot, I have that same belief too! I'm not even a Christian but Christianity has a lot in common with my religion tbh.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
      I'm a Muslim, but I don't pray. I'm not the most religious person out there (far from it). I understand how people can say that being religious and praying don't directly correlate, but I have to differ. I mean, by praying, I'm asking god for assistance. If I'm not religious, won't that make me a hypocrite.

      I wouldn't be lying if i said laziness is also a factor.
      You're not the only one (not me though ) but it's never too late to ask for forgiveness, God will always be there for you so have faith in Him ...
      Reply With Quote
        #14    
      Old June 9th, 2013 (3:17 AM).
      Her's Avatar
      Her Her is offline
      • Moderator
      • Platinum Tier
      • Discord Moderoid
       
      Join Date: Jun 2008
      Age: 23
      Gender: Female
      Posts: 10,392
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Broken_Arrow View Post
      But IMO,prayers has nothing to do with being religious! doing prayers is hoping for something to happen and repeating it as a secret words only you know..religious or not someone up there listening ..honesty is all what it cost not religious ^^
      Prayer is a spiritual verbal outreach to a god or higher power, whether the prayer itself be giving thanks or asking for something, so to say prayer has nothing to do with religion confuses me. Though, that is how I see it. I personally cannot separate prayer from its religious origins, no matter what the act of prayer may mean in the 21st century. I used to be Catholic, so that explains it.

      Do I pray nowadays? No. Prayer is a fundamental part of religion imo and I...well, I stay away from religion most of the time. I say 'help me God' or whatever, but only as a way of expressing whatever frustration or sadness I am feeling at the time, not as an actual act of prayer, because I don't expect the Almighty to drop down from the sky and be like 'sup Chris what can I do for ya' or whatever. I just beg for something to happen, I don't dedicate to any specific power.
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #15    
      Old June 9th, 2013 (3:40 AM).
      .:batto:.'s Avatar
      .:batto:. .:batto:. is offline
      Pokébreeder
         
        Join Date: Dec 2008
        Location: Australia
        Age: 22
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Bold
        Posts: 267
        no. praying is for the unsure, life isnt a fairy tale. bad things happen all the time. and talking to a 'higher being' is silly, in my opinion. religion is for people that cannot handle that life is hard. and life can potentially go horribly wrong. i used to be a practicing muslim, and when i was very young i was christian. i once asked a priest what hes belief on aliens, he said that god made us in his image, and aliens do not fit in with what he believes in. ultimately saying that he doesnt think they exist. think about it. how can it possibly be true out of all the universes we are the only intelligent life form at exists. when there is limitless possibilitys for planets to be in the 'sweet spot'

        your family could be horribly murdered in an incident and your lifetime of praying wouldn't of came into play at all. sorry if it sounds harsh. but its true.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #16    
        Old June 9th, 2013 (3:43 AM).
        Rest's Avatar
        Rest Rest is offline
        Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
           
          Join Date: Jan 2012
          Location: take a guess
          Age: 22
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Careful
          Posts: 354
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by O07_eleven View Post
          Like the OP asked though, has anyone believed their prayers have been answered?
          That's the thing though. When a prayer's answered, it's a helping hand from God, and when it doesn't, it's a test.

          I'm a Muslim, but I don't pray, and I don't believe in praying. I'm only culturally Muslim.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #17    
          Old June 9th, 2013 (3:57 AM).
          Her's Avatar
          Her Her is offline
          • Moderator
          • Platinum Tier
          • Discord Moderoid
           
          Join Date: Jun 2008
          Age: 23
          Gender: Female
          Posts: 10,392
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by .:batto:. View Post
          no. praying is for the unsure, life isnt a fairy tale. bad things happen all the time. and talking to a 'higher being' is silly, in my opinion.
          Well, yeah, praying is for the unsure. Don't know what you're trying to prove with that comment.

          Quote:
          your family could be horribly murdered in an incident and your lifetime of praying wouldn't of came into play at all. sorry if it sounds harsh. but its true.
          .....????????????????????
          Reply With Quote
            #18    
          Old June 9th, 2013 (4:11 AM).
          Mana's Avatar
          Mana Mana is offline
          • Platinum Tier
           
          Join Date: Jan 2009
          Location: UK
          Gender: Female
          Posts: 10,014
          I don't pray, no. However sometimes I have to participate in prayers as part of my job (sometimes just listening, sometimes reading the main prayer, I just don't say 'amen').

          I think prayer is great for boosting someone's confidence and helping them through something personal.

          I dislike it when people use prayer as 'doing something good'. For example, I find praying for people's recovery or safety very patronising and belittling. Even worse is when people pray instead of giving their time or money to actually help.
          Reply With Quote
            #19    
          Old June 9th, 2013 (7:06 AM).
          Sweets Witch's Avatar
          Sweets Witch Sweets Witch is offline
          I just love ham jerky.
             
            Join Date: Jan 2013
            Location: Old People Community, USA
            Age: 24
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Adamant
            Posts: 1,420
            I used to pray because there is absolutely no harm in doing so, but I stopped when a couple of Mormons invaded my house and tried to get me to pray on my knees in my living room until I saw Mormon Jesus.

            But yeah, I saw nothing wrong with praying before that. All through my adolescence I was one of those "Prayer is stupid religion is stupid" d-bags, but one day I met my girlfriend's roommate's pastor when I got roped into cleaning the church's rec room. Don't remember his name but he let me call him Padre and that still makes me laugh because he said that no one had done that before. Padre was a really sensible dude for a Baptist preacher. We sat in his office for a while and talked about religion and the things he had to say just completely blew me away because I had never heard such reasoning straight from the horse's mouth.

            He taught me that prayer is harmless to those within the church because (as coincidentally stated before) it's a gift from God if it's answered and it's a test if it's not, and it's even better to those outside of the church because an unanswered prayer doesn't hold the weight of feeling like a test. Either way, prayers aren't magical incantations that invoke miracles. At their bare bones, they're tools for making people feel at ease during difficult times. No matter how smart a person may think they are, they should never knock something as harmless as prayer to the face of someone who prays because it's rude, to say the least. Telling somebody who's coping with hardships that their way of coping is stupid because of ideological disagreements is an extremely weak argument that serves no purpose but to attempt to harm the person even more.
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #20    
            Old June 9th, 2013 (4:00 PM).
            Broken_Arrow's Avatar
            Broken_Arrow Broken_Arrow is offline
            Paper plane~
            • Gold Tier
             
            Join Date: Aug 2011
            Location: Dragons Nest~
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Careful
            Posts: 1,209
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
            Prayer is a spiritual verbal outreach to a god or higher power, whether the prayer itself be giving thanks or asking for something, so to say prayer has nothing to do with religion confuses me. Though, that is how I see it. I personally cannot separate prayer from its religious origins, no matter what the act of prayer may mean in the 21st century. I used to be Catholic, so that explains it.
            .
            well i see it in a different way cuz you don't have to be relegious to ask god something you want cuz either way he listens! either way you're a sinner or not

            when you have a friend or a sibling or even yourself having a hard time in life then you say.."Dear God,i know you hear me,please help "mention the name" with what they're facing now..protect them and keep them safe,healthy and happy,what ever you wish ..etc

            this kind of prayers,you don't have to be religious to pray it ..as much as you love that person you just go ask something for them hoping for it to happen..it's not hypocrite it's not silly...it's something you do from your heart..even people who don't believe in that..it would mean much to the person you pray for...this is what i meant when i said you don't have to be religious to pray.
            Reply With Quote
              #21    
            Old June 9th, 2013 (4:14 PM).
            Kanzler's Avatar
            Kanzler Kanzler is offline
            naughty biscotti
            • Crystal Tier
             
            Join Date: Jul 2008
            Location: Toronto
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 5,897
            By not religious I meant I'm atheist, so I don't in anybody listening. I hope I didn't cause any confusion by saying I'm not religious
            Reply With Quote
              #22    
            Old June 9th, 2013 (4:21 PM).
            Her's Avatar
            Her Her is offline
            • Moderator
            • Platinum Tier
            • Discord Moderoid
             
            Join Date: Jun 2008
            Age: 23
            Gender: Female
            Posts: 10,392
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Broken_Arrow View Post
            well i see it in a different way cuz you don't have to be relegious to ask god something you want cuz either way he listens! either way you're a sinner or not

            when you have a friend or a sibling or even yourself having a hard time in life then you say.."Dear God,i know you hear me,please help "mention the name" with what they're facing now..protect them and keep them safe,healthy and happy,what ever you wish ..etc

            this kind of prayers,you don't have to be religious to pray it ..as much as you love that person you just go ask something for them hoping for it to happen..it's not hypocrite it's not silly...it's something you do from your heart..even people who don't believe in that..it would mean much to the person you pray for...this is what i meant when i said you don't have to be religious to pray.
            This whole post is coming from a belief that God (or any god) exists or is out there in some form, whereas I'm of the belief that the God we're thinking of simply doesn't exist. You don't have to be religious to pray, correct, but the act of prayer is a religious thing itself.
            Reply With Quote
              #23    
            Old June 9th, 2013 (4:46 PM).
            waterworks waterworks is offline
            Previously Fireworks
               
              Join Date: Mar 2013
              Location: Scotland
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Quiet
              Posts: 11
              I went to a catholic primary school, and we had to do prayers whenever we came into the class, but I'm not religious so since I've left there no I don't pray.
              Reply With Quote
                #24    
              Old June 9th, 2013 (4:51 PM).
              Razgriz's Avatar
              Razgriz Razgriz is offline
              Acetaminophen
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2009
                Location: I can't hear you, it's too dark in here
                Age: 25
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Hasty
                Posts: 231
                Well it's kinda weird for me, but I do pray... not often though but I pray when I feel my friends and the people I care about really need help and I'm sure that it has some use somehow.
                __________________
                I've exposed your lies, baby
                The underneath is no big surprise
                Now its time, for changing and cleansing everything
                To forget your love
                Credits to Flushed for the amazing sig!
                Reply With Quote
                  #25    
                Old June 9th, 2013 (5:28 PM).
                Broken_Arrow's Avatar
                Broken_Arrow Broken_Arrow is offline
                Paper plane~
                • Gold Tier
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2011
                Location: Dragons Nest~
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Careful
                Posts: 1,209
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
                This whole post is coming from a belief that God (or any god) exists or is out there in some form, whereas I'm of the belief that the God we're thinking of simply doesn't exist. You don't have to be religious to pray, correct, but the act of prayer is a religious thing itself.
                if you believe he doesn't exists doesn't mean he doesn't! ^^
                Reply With Quote
                Reply

                Quick Reply

                Join the conversation!

                Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                Create a PokéCommunity Account

                Sponsored Links
                Thread Tools

                Posting Rules
                You may not post new threads
                You may not post replies
                You may not post attachments
                You may not edit your posts

                BB code is On
                Smilies are On
                [IMG] code is On
                HTML code is Off

                Forum Jump


                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:46 AM.