• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
If it was called Light type it would give the impression that it was created to act against Dark types, but that's not the case. Fairy was literally just created to oppose Dragons, that part is obvious. I agree with their decision because Fairies and Dragons are both large parts of mythology. It also reminds me of Fairy Tail and Dragon Slayers. o3o

I'm okay with this as long as the fairies don't look like Jigglypuff and Sylveon and that new flower thing they revealed. And I hope they don't nerf the dragons TOO much.

Moist

other in a month When you,
Years
On a different(ish) topic, does that mean we get a Fairy type Arceus form?

I want an Arceus with cute little wings and it all pink.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I'm kinda suprised that they didn't announce the Cleffa line as a fairy type.

I mean, logically this line would be one... Clefairy, it's stage one, has fairy in it's name. And it's also, in the dex, called the Fairy Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Not a fan. I'm very against adding a new type in the first place though. Also, I fail to see why Fairy types are super strong against Dragons. I mean, I know Dragon types always have had an advantage over the other types, but Fairies? Really? Oh well.

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
It's sad to see how so many people fail to understand the concept of the Fairy type.
Well, when (if) you understand it, you will see that it wouldn't make much sense if fairies weren't strong against dragons...

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Also if they really wanted to balance the games, they'd give Electric types another weakness. At least Dragon has two. Poor Dragon types, the scape-goats.

Just because a typing has less weaknesses doesn't mean it is automatically good.

The point with Dragons was that nothing properly resisted them. Steel types, sure, but who cares? All the dragons have Flamethrower/Earthquake to deal with that anyways. Dragons usually have crazy high BST/attack stats in general. Not to mention the types that are SE on Dragon are two of the most uncommon Pokemon types ever leaving it without much worry.

Electric type is way different. Ground is immune to it which is huge to stopping Electric Pokemon. There are also plenty of Pokemon that gain electric immunities through abilities like Motor Drive or Lightningrod. They are also usually defensively poor and can't take a hit worth anything, usually sacrificing all their stats for high speed and decent special attack. This is only good for Volt Switching or end-game sweeping, but not really a huge threat when playing competitively. Especially since about 200 Pokemon can learn Earthquake alone, which is a move that can usually 1hit ko any Electric type.

F1refly

Stuff and things
Years
It makes perfect sense to add a new type as this seems to me to be the next stage of Pokemon. Just look at all the new features they've added, and that's just the leaked stuff.

I think people are just butthurt because of the name, so they instantly think of Grass Pixies and stuff. The original fairy folklore tells of winged demons stealing children at night and haunting the woods. Hell, most of the old Fairy Tales were much darker.

I'm calling it now, we will probably get a dual type Dark/Fairy pokemon.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Well skin a potato and call me a banjo, I'm dumbfounded! I was convinced Sylveon was going to be a Normal Type. I'm quite happy with it, I love all the Fairy designs. They're cute and whimsical and all that stuff x3

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Did they explain why they added Dark and Steel back in Gen 2? Or was it like a these types always existed thing? Because I don't know why I was expecting an explanation(besides the balancing ish) for a Fairy Type. So it will be like Fairy type had always existed?

Also if they really wanted to balance the games, they'd give Electric types another weakness. At least Dragon has two. Poor Dragon types, the scape-goats.

They never explained in the games why either of them exist. Jasmin in the original pair called Steel "Newly discovered" but there was never any mentioning of Dark Type. They just sorta always been there. In the remakes, Jasmin's little bit about steel was removed. That was the only reference of a type being discovered.

Out side of the games, they were added to tone down Psychic and the Dragons coming in. Steel brought some heavy balancing, but Gen 2 did way more than just add new types, the type chart got a make over.

Bug's weakness to Poison was removed, and likewise Poison's weakness to Bug was removed.
Poison resisted Bug now.
Psychic was made weak to Ghost instead of Immune.
Fire was made to resist Ice.

5 moves may seem miniscule but they are what set our current Meta to what it turned out to be along with specific Pokemon having fairly abusive stats.

There is a chance they may do another Type chart shuffle with the new type addition just to further change the current Meta.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
They never explained in the games why either of them exist. Jasmin in the original pair called Steel "Newly discovered" but there was never any mentioning of Dark Type. They just sorta always been there. In the remakes, Jasmin's little bit about steel was removed. That was the only reference of a type being discovered.

Out side of the games, they were added to tone down Psychic and the Dragons coming in. Steel brought some heavy balancing, but Gen 2 did way more than just add new types, the type chart got a make over.

Bug's weakness to Poison was removed, and likewise Poison's weakness to Bug was removed.
Poison resisted Bug now.
Fire was made to resist Ice.

5 moves may seem miniscule but they are what set our current Meta to what it turned out to be along with specific Pokemon having fairly abusive stats.

There is a chance they may do another Type chart shuffle with the new type addition just to further change the current Meta.

Thank you very much!

So we can expect new types in the far future...

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2013
Gag me with a spoon (yes kids, the '80s...) but it's Pokemon logic so I'm just gonna roll with it. It just doesn't make sense. Why would they name the type Fairy?

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Years
The fairies they're referring aren't like let's say Navi. F1refly is right(even about original stories being dark. Like Cinderella, Hansel and Gretel and Rapunzel.) They have many legends behind them. Bulbapedia even told the dark myths of them!

Last edited:

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Fairy in eurpoean folktales aren't just the likes of Tinkerbell and pinky-whiny-girly sprite. Many fairies are crazy, incomprehensible, or just plain evil. In anyway, Fairy-type is much better represented many kind of Pokemon than Light-type. Fairy have much broader scope, and have represent better them that is magic. Gamefreak should make Pokemon like Snorunt, Glalie, Bannette, Shuppet, Chimecho, and the likes Fairy too.

Creame

Dreams take you higher ♥
Years
I find it quite funny that something like Dragon, which sounds very tough, will be extremely weak to something called fairy, which on the other hand sounds extremely girly! Oh well, I am very curious about this type and its strengths and weaknesses.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Not a fan. I'm very against adding a new type in the first place though. Also, I fail to see why Fairy types are super strong against Dragons. I mean, I know Dragon types always have had an advantage over the other types, but Fairies? Really? Oh well.
There was a good post elsewhere that addressed this. Fairy in mythology extends beyond the standard depiction (look at nymphs, elves, pixies, etc etc - a lot tie into this) - generally based off magical creatures. One could argue that this basis is why they would have power over Dragon types. Granted, this might not seem so apparently if you pit Jigglypuff against Haxorus, but then you could say that's on par to in theory Magikarp having advantage over fire types on typing alone. The typing doesn't mean they will beat dragons, just have an advantage. Stats and moves would need to back it up as well, and Ice Beam and steel types weren't cutting it by themselves, I suppose.

On this particular note, I believe them being immune was a coding error...?

I'm interested in if in this case we will get a reason for Fairy types. As said, there was one for Steel in GSC (but not Dark); will they pretend it's normal, say it's newly discovered, or give a reason for it...?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
As long as it's not strong against Dark, I'm all for it.

Though I believe it has been mentioned one of its strengths is against Dark... :(

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It has, but that source is not actually fully confirmed I believe. (Leaks aren't always 100% correct on all facts). Afaik all that we know for sure is that it is super effective against dragon.

Back