• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumbgirlie

Reciprocator
Years
Help with Lugia!

This is my first post, so forgive me if I've put it in the wrong forum. After previewing the list of catagories, I wasn't sure exactly where to put it.

I have a dilemma, and I'm hoping someone can give me some good advice.

I recently started Soul Silver and have captured Lugia (it is still sitting on my game, UNsaved). It has the preferred nature, Timid, and great defensive IVs: 30HP, 28 Def, 31 SpDef. However, his SpAtk and Speed are terrible ... both coming in at a whopping 3-5 IVs.

In reading various Pokemon related articles, I understand SPEED to be the number one attribute in today's metagame. Obviously, this Lugia is severly lacking in that respect. His base 110 Speed stat, paired with a Timid nature, is respectable ... but is that enough? As well, his special attacks aren't very powerful as is, and there is no added bonus there via nature or IVs.
Do I keep it or ditch it and try for a better speed IV? If keeping it is the better option, what would be the best way to play him?

Thanks for your input!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Hey there plumbgirlie, I'll just go ahead and move this into the Fourth Gen Help Thread. That way, there's more of a chance you'll find someone with the knowledge to lend you some help. 8)

[ Moved ]

Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2013
Five hours in Pokemon Diamond should i start over in Platinum?

Hi guys! Yesterday I started playing Diamond on my new DS lite (love it!) but i thought that Pokemon Diamond is the ultimate director's cut edition, as it turn's out it is not. Should i start over in Platinum? I played for more than five hours, I'm very close to second badge, my starter (fire) is on lvl 21 i also have staravia at 18. I play on Acekard 2i so if you have any idea about transfering save ar pokemons without another player it would be great :)
Thanks.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I don't have any idea about the transferring stuff...but I would play Diamond, then Platinum. Diamond's a fine game in its own right and you've already nearly got two badges. Platinum introduces enough changes to make it worth you while, and you can easily get a completely different team in it, particularly with the expanded pokédex.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Hmm...all of the sets here do utilise its speed and have special attacks: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lugia

However if you're playing a defensive set you don't need to worry as much about the special attack, and you could put a few more EVs into speed at the expense of another stat. Or, if its still unsaved (if it is, I admire your dedication), you could try for better IVs. You'll probably be waiting a while though :)

Years
My advice would definitely play Platinum, Diamond and Pearl were really inferior in terms of speed and Pokedex distribution (only 2 Fire-type families before E4, what?) while Platinum fixes those problems and also has much better Pokedex variety. And the storyline is slightly different, but the extra Pokemon in Platinum's Pokedex allows for more flexible team building.

So yeah, you should play Platinum because you'll be pretty satisfied with it in the end.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Definitely go with Platinum. It's a vastly improved version of Diamond and Pearl with a variety of added features. You're only up to the second badge, which is no way near half-way so It'd be only common sense for you to start over in Platinum. In saying that though, it's totally up to you! As long as you're having fun, that's the main thing!

Anyway, I'll quickly move this over to the 4th Gen Help Thread. If you have any future questions regarding the Fourth Generation of games, feel more than welcome to post them in there.

[ Moved ]

BlueEon

Weavile
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2021
Resort Area.

So, people, this thread is all about the resort area. Ask questions, answer, or just discuss. etc. etc. Blah blah blah.

I have two questions- What after we get the villla and furniture? Does it stay like that or can we shift our mom there or something. Why do we even get it?
The ribbon club thingy- It tells me to get ribbons, but what kind of ribbons? Contest ribbons, footprint ribbons or story ribbons (From the girl in Sunyshore.) How do I become a memeber or go inside the building?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
All ribbons count. Best way to get access is to transfer a pokémon from Gen III that has contest ribbons, effort ribbon, champion ribbon, then get the ribbons from the girl in Sunnyshore. I say best, as in easiest as in my opinion at least contests are easier in Gen III, particularly if you meet the Pokéblock Master dude.
And the purpose of the villa is just to show how successful you are, it seems like you probably need over $1,000,000 to get all the furniture xD and certain pieces of furniture unlock new people to visit you...yes, I think "mom" does visit at some point.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I think this thread is labelled a 'discussion thread' just to account for your questions. In saying that, I'll move this over to the 4th Gen Help Thread. You're more than welcome to make a topic about the Resot Area, just be wary that all questions relating to the 4th Generation Games belongs in the abovementioned thread. 8)

[ Moved ]

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I am trying to calculate the power of my Alakazam's Hidden Power. I'm trying to use all of the IV calculators/Hidden Power calculators and they keep saying my Alakazam is invalid because its stats don't fit the range. I didn't intentionally EV train it at all. How can I find out the EVs my Pokemon has? All I really want to know is its Hidden Power power, but I apparently can't even find its IVs because it's invalid, because of its effort values which I didn't even intentionally give to it. Here is the stats of my Alakazam in case someone could possibly help me with this. My Alakazam is 100% legit; I didn't hack it in or anything. I caught it as Abra at level 5.

Male Alakazam, lv 52, Diamond.
Lax nature, July 16, 2012
Route 203
Met at lv. 5. Mischevious, likes sour food.
HP: 132
Atk: 79
Def: 69
S.Atk: 166
S.Def: 98
Spd: 150

I just don't understand. The only thing I really want is to figure out the power of its Hidden Power, I've already figured out it's Rock. I really don't care about its IVs or EVs, but I need them for all the Hidden Power calculators I can find online, but it keeps saying it's invalid. UGH!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I am trying to calculate the power of my Alakazam's Hidden Power. I'm trying to use all of the IV calculators/Hidden Power calculators and they keep saying my Alakazam is invalid because its stats don't fit the range. I didn't intentionally EV train it at all. How can I find out the EVs my Pokemon has? All I really want to know is its Hidden Power power, but I apparently can't even find its IVs because it's invalid, because of its effort values which I didn't even intentionally give to it. Here is the stats of my Alakazam in case someone could possibly help me with this. My Alakazam is 100% legit; I didn't hack it in or anything. I caught it as Abra at level 5.

Male Alakazam, lv 52, Diamond.
Lax nature, July 16, 2012
Route 203
Met at lv. 5. Mischevious, likes sour food.
HP: 132
Atk: 79
Def: 69
S.Atk: 166
S.Def: 98
Spd: 150

I just don't understand. The only thing I really want is to figure out the power of its Hidden Power, I've already figured out it's Rock. I really don't care about its IVs or EVs, but I need them for all the Hidden Power calculators I can find online, but it keeps saying it's invalid. UGH!

Keep feeding Alakazam EV-reducing berries until every kind has no effect, then you'll know it has no EVs and can calculate it.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
What are some good tips to take second place in the bug catching contest? I'd like the everstone for my skiploom but I tend to either win or not place at all.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
What are some good tips to take second place in the bug catching contest? I'd like the everstone for my skiploom but I tend to either win or not place at all.
How you go is based on the level, species rarity and HP it was caught at (as in, how much HP remaining of its max HP). (Which is why some people can win with a level 18 Catepie, for example). Try playing with those factors in mind.

Also note that if you hatch Togepi from that egg you can get an Everstone from Elm.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
I completely forgot about the everstone from Elm, I haven't showed him the togepi for years since I am in Azelea by the time I hatch it.

kingfor6

Pkmn Trainer SS Goku
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2015
Next question:

You know how when you trade pokemon to another game, that pokemon will get extra exp points per battle...Well if you were to get that same pokemon back, would it still get the extra exp? In other words, if you trade a pkmn with yourself and trade that same pkmn back, would that pkmn get the extra exp points with the OT?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
This just barely belongs in the 4th Gen Help Thread, so I'm going to move it into there. Next time I'd suggest posting your rquests for team help here or here depending on whether your team is built for competitive or in-game purposes.

[ Moved ]

Years
Next question:

You know how when you trade pokemon to another game, that pokemon will get extra exp points per battle...Well if you were to get that same pokemon back, would it still get the extra exp? In other words, if you trade a pkmn with yourself and trade that same pkmn back, would that pkmn get the extra exp points with the OT?

No, trading a Pokemon back to the game it was originally obtained in would not gain the extra EXP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back