The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Previous Generations
6th Gen Graphics.

View Poll Results: 3D Graphics good or Bad?
Good 105 88.98%
Bad 7 5.93%
Dosen't Matter 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #226    
Old May 14th, 2013 (4:30 PM).
Belldandy's Avatar
Belldandy Belldandy is offline
Ice-Type Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Posts: 3,980
The graphics look really good, even for 3D->2D bits. I bet they look even more amazing in 3D, since they're intended to be viewed in 3D.

It's hard to judge flats of 3D polygons and models like these. The "true" effect and the double-imaging to create said effect adds such specific and defining elements to the final product... Stuff that a simple 2D can't bring about or interpret.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #227    
Old May 14th, 2013 (4:34 PM).
Jake♫'s Avatar
Jake♫ Jake♫ is offline
► My Happy Little Pill 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Posts: 2,944
If that's the case imagine how good it's going to look with the 3D effects on. I mean I personally probably won't use them, but I'd be pleased with just how they look on the 3D plane.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #228    
Old May 14th, 2013 (5:12 PM).
Belldandy's Avatar
Belldandy Belldandy is offline
Ice-Type Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Posts: 3,980
I know! It's going to be absolutely amazing. I can't wait for the release. The newest screenies look really, really good (old ones were meh); the final product is going to be mind-blowing. The 3DS' capabilities are really going to complement the series phenomenally.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #229    
Old May 15th, 2013 (2:42 AM).
Chatot Lover's Avatar
Chatot Lover Chatot Lover is offline
happy
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Relaxed
    Posts: 88
    I'm not impressed by the graphics. They could have been a lot better, regarding the fact that it's a 3DS game. I mean sure, for a Pokémon game, it does look decent.

    I just don't understand why GameFreak always lags behind.
    __________________

    Reply With Quote
      #230    
    Old May 15th, 2013 (2:52 AM).
    Blue's Avatar
    Blue Blue is offline
    ASTRO
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: United Kingdom
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Relaxed
    Posts: 20,979
    Well they still have another 5 months of development and it can only get better from here! I'm pretty happy with how the graphics are now but if they were to improve them over the coming months, I'm going to be really pleased with how these games graphically enhance.
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #231    
    Old May 15th, 2013 (12:41 PM).
    C Payne's Avatar
    C Payne C Payne is offline
    Hoenn in 3D!
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: Va
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 454
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chatot Lover View Post
    I'm not impressed by the graphics. They could have been a lot better, regarding the fact that it's a 3DS game. I mean sure, for a Pokémon game, it does look decent.

    I just don't understand why GameFreak always lags behind.
    What kind of graphics were you expecting exactly? It should also be noted that it's their first time working with this, so it will only get better with time.
    __________________
    Don't you think Hoenn deserves to be at least this beautiful?

    Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.com/art/Hoenn-BW-styled-map-251951922
    Reply With Quote
      #232    
    Old May 16th, 2013 (6:32 AM).
    Ho-Oh's Avatar
    Ho-Oh Ho-Oh is offline
    used Sacred Fire!
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Age: 26
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Bold
    Posts: 35,880
    I really love how the plants and leaves are animated, as well as the wind in the battles, it makes them seem really realistic. gj graphics team! n_n
    __________________

    so it's gonna be forever ... or it's gonna go down in flames
    Spinoffs and Clubhouse Moderator

    ... make your dreams come true :heart:

    Two Time Get Together Winner - Lele & Gloria!

    Reply With Quote
      #233    
    Old May 22nd, 2013 (4:19 PM).
    Jake♫'s Avatar
    Jake♫ Jake♫ is offline
    ► My Happy Little Pill 
     
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: New York
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Lax
    Posts: 2,944
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chatot Lover View Post
    I'm not impressed by the graphics. They could have been a lot better, regarding the fact that it's a 3DS game. I mean sure, for a Pokémon game, it does look decent.

    I just don't understand why GameFreak always lags behind.
    On top of what was already stated, keep in mind we're still just on the 3DS. As far as graphics go they look good for the system. Plus, just between the release of just the two trailers the graphics have improved a great ton. There's still another 5 months until the games come out, so who knows what other improvements they could make in that time frame!
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #234    
    Old June 13th, 2013 (12:50 AM).
    photonman555 photonman555 is offline
       
      Join Date: Sep 2012
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 15
      Hey guys i just saw the animation for Brave bird which was just breathtaking. i was wondering how everyone is finding new 3D attacks.
      Reply With Quote
        #235    
      Old June 14th, 2013 (11:51 AM).
      Warship's Avatar
      Warship Warship is offline
      異議あり!
         
        Join Date: Dec 2011
        Location: Turkey
        Age: 20
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Jolly
        Posts: 304
        so far im pretty impressed with the graphics especially battle graphics. overworld is awesome too though and they still have lots of time to polish both of them. cant wait to see the game footage ^^
        __________________
        |paired to Zorogami and Virgilin|PM|VM|About Me
        FC: 4425-2910-1181
        FS:Fire
        Growlithe - Charmeleon - Braixen
        Reply With Quote
          #236    
        Old June 14th, 2013 (11:56 AM).
        SolarAbusoru's Avatar
        SolarAbusoru SolarAbusoru is offline
        Go Go PokéRangers
           
          Join Date: Sep 2009
          Location: Lumios City
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Adamant
          Posts: 940
          This game looks ever more beautiful every time it's shown.
          __________________

          Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
          Signature Pokémon: Luxray
          Reply With Quote
            #237    
          Old June 14th, 2013 (12:01 PM).
          Spinosaurus's Avatar
          Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
             
            Join Date: Apr 2009
            Posts: 4,572
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
            When you compare images from January to the images that surfaced this month, you can really see how much the graphics have improved. Alright so it's not a staggering amount but you can see the little details that have changed which make the games look much more appealing.
            It went from an eyesore to acceptable. That's a good improvement.

            Still pretty bad, though. I get what they're going for but it's just really ugly. Look at the repeated textures, the low poly count and the JAGGIES. We need anti-aliasing here, it'd be a BIG improvement. Pokemon models are ugly, humans are fine though. I dig it. What's up with the lighting and shadows though...

            Quote:
            As far as graphics go they look good for the system.
            No they don't. This is the same system that gave us Donkey Kong Country Returns and Luigi's Mansion 2.

            EDIT: Just noticed the poll. WHOA there. To think graphics doesn't matter is totally fine, but calling it good? Er...
            EDIT2: Can I say I really don't like the art style too? Better than B/W, but it's really...I dunno, uninspired and bland? Even New Super Mario Bros has a better art style imo...
            __________________

            Twitter - Tumblr
            Reply With Quote
              #238    
            Old June 14th, 2013 (3:19 PM).
            The_Consumer's Avatar
            The_Consumer The_Consumer is offline
               
              Join Date: Dec 2012
              Location: Ireland
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 317
              They've only improved. I'm sure some nostalgia fans will be upset because that's how it is, but I'm grateful for these advancements =P
              Reply With Quote
                #239    
              Old June 15th, 2013 (2:01 AM).
              Nakala Pri Nakala Pri is offline
              Banned
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2012
                Nature: Naughty
                Posts: 2,381
                The 3D, in my opinion, is a huge leap forward for all Pokemon games. But it doesn't mean it's good!

                The 2D was awesome, fine, ignoring the stupid 3D we face today. After Pokemon Conquest (AWSM game) was made, they started to make more effortless games. Pokemon Rumble? Ugh, come ON! :c

                But I suppose it's okay, after all, the battles look okay. And the towns... so I shouldn't complain.
                Reply With Quote
                  #240    
                Old June 15th, 2013 (3:17 AM).
                Dakotah's Avatar
                Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2010
                  Posts: 903
                  I don't know why people are complaining about the graphics. I also don't understand this need to compare one game's graphics to another. You have different development teams with different artists working on those games. The vision one team has is going to differ from another. We also have to keep in mind that game developers are constantly playing a game of tug of war when it comes to game content. Sacrifices have to me made from some areas to implement needed or desired features.

                  So for a full RGP like Pokemon, some things like detail in the graphics have to be sacrificed to give you the breadth and scope that the game provides. The developers could vastly improve the quality of graphics in the game, as some wish, but then you might have to sacrifice game elements that you might also want. We all need to learn the art of compromise.

                  For me, the single most important aspect of a game is the gameplay itself. I don't care if I can see the individual blades of grass moving in the wind, or if the characters are anti-aliased. In the end I want a fun game that is visually appealing, challenging and with a great storyline to it.

                  To the nitpickers out there I say give it a rest. If the graphics are so important to you, then play only the games whose graphics meets your approval.
                  __________________
                  DAKOTAH
                  Personal Website
                  YouTube Channel


                  1693-4093-6753
                  Normal Safari
                  Lillipup / Audino / Ditto


                  "...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
                  Reply With Quote
                    #241    
                  Old June 15th, 2013 (5:39 AM).
                  jellotime91 jellotime91 is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2009
                    Posts: 304
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Chatot Lover View Post
                    I'm not impressed by the graphics. They could have been a lot better, regarding the fact that it's a 3DS game. I mean sure, for a Pokémon game, it does look decent.

                    I just don't understand why GameFreak always lags behind.
                    The graphics have improved drastically since January.

                    Also, comparing to other 3DS games, this is one of the best looking 3DS games I've seen. I have played a ton of 3DS games, and they sometimes try too hard, and it ends up being less polished. Take Luigi's Mansion, for example. They tried to make things a little too graphically intense, and the frame rate often suffers.

                    Also, remember that they have to include over 700 3D Pokemon models, each with dozens of different animations / facial expressions, nevermind the trainers and the region.
                    __________________
                    Reply With Quote
                      #242    
                    Old June 15th, 2013 (5:47 AM).
                    ilias_'s Avatar
                    ilias_ ilias_ is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Apr 2013
                      Location: Greece
                      Age: 23
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Calm
                      Posts: 547
                      The graphics look good. I am so happy with them. And they will improve them by the time the game is released!
                      __________________
                      3DS Friend Code: 2595 0605 8229

                      Pokémon X
                      Friend Safari:
                      Type: Fire.
                      Pokémon: Slugma, Magmar & Braixen.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #243    
                      Old June 15th, 2013 (7:36 AM). Edited June 15th, 2013 by Spinosaurus.
                      Spinosaurus's Avatar
                      Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Apr 2009
                        Posts: 4,572
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
                        To the nitpickers out there I say give it a rest. If the graphics are so important to you, then play only the games whose graphics meets your approval.
                        I'm not gonna even bother with the rest of your post, but I'm gonna say I know the game is an RPG and I know graphical capabilities has to be limited, but are we really gonna use that as an excuse?
                        It's like we forgot about that other game which is also completely PACKED with content, that other game that actually has so many enemies on screen at once and yet stays at a constant frame rate, that other game that still managed to look good and highly detailed. (I'm talking about Kid Icarus.) Don't get me started on Dragon Quest 7 or Bravely Default which are also RPGs. They actually look good and are graphical marvels compared to X/Y. This isn't just a difference in art style.

                        But anyway, that's not what I'm here to argue about. Your quoted sentence, on the other hand, that kind of mentality needs to go. You should NOT tell anyone bothered by this to "take a rest". I'm one of the last people who'd complain about graphics, and I DO plan to buy this game, but am I not allowed to complain about it? Graphics ARE important, regardless of what anyone says, and to me X/Y is exactly why. If the game is ugly, it's ugly, no two ways about it. Now am I not gonna play the game because of it? No. But will I be bothered by it? Yes. And that's why I'm complaining. Gameplay is first but I don't like to play a game that looks like shovelware. I have every rights to criticize.
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by jellotime91 View Post
                        The graphics have improved drastically since January.

                        Also, comparing to other 3DS games, this is one of the best looking 3DS games I've seen. I have played a ton of 3DS games, and they sometimes try too hard, and it ends up being less polished. Take Luigi's Mansion, for example. They tried to make things a little too graphically intense, and the frame rate often suffers.

                        Also, remember that they have to include over 700 3D Pokemon models, each with dozens of different animations / facial expressions, nevermind the trainers and the region.
                        Did we play the same game? Luigi's Mansion 2 constantly stayed at 30fps (which is acceptable for a slow-paced adventure game) unless you open doors or there are too many ghosts in a big room. X/Y, on the other hand, from what I saw on the videos, struggled to keep at 30fps. Also, Luigi's Mansion 2 was NOT graphically intense at all.

                        The graphics did not improve that much since January anyway. At least, from what I saw. How is X/Y "polished" anyway?
                        __________________

                        Twitter - Tumblr
                        Reply With Quote
                          #244    
                        Old June 15th, 2013 (7:47 AM).
                        reshilegend's Avatar
                        reshilegend reshilegend is offline
                        Focus.
                           
                          Join Date: Jun 2013
                          Location: Probably not the same place as you
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Calm
                          Posts: 264
                          Well I obviously didn't expect Pokemon on 3DS to be as visually great as RE Revelations or KIU before I saw the first trailer. I think they made a huge improvement compaired to older Pokemon games but I also think they could have done better. Pokemon still keeps its "pixelated" style so people who were sad about the end of sprites don't really have to complain. I'm sure future Pokemon games will look better and better (obviously). I don't judge games only because of graphics, so if XY will have great gameplay (which it will most likely have) it's still going to be an awesome game in general.
                          __________________

                          Reply With Quote
                            #245    
                          Old June 15th, 2013 (7:50 AM).
                          Xander Olivieri's Avatar
                          Xander Olivieri Xander Olivieri is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Jun 2010
                            Gender: Other
                            Nature: Hasty
                            Posts: 5,601
                            Love how they have improved on the graphics since the initial showing. I find the cell shaded style a bit better than pure 3D. At least they are trying to improve what they do rather than just recycling everything this time around. For a company that doesn't do much in 3D this is a very good start for them.

                            I may actually try to play with the 3D feature on just to see any difference. Should look better than the other games.
                            __________________
                            Reply With Quote
                              #246    
                            Old June 15th, 2013 (7:58 AM).
                            OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire's Avatar
                            OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire is offline
                            10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
                               
                              Join Date: Apr 2010
                              Location: Oregon
                              Age: 24
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Careful
                              Posts: 17,521
                              The graphics of the towns are beautiful, however I think they can still improve. Also the latest trailers said that what was shown may not be the finalized version of the game, so let's hope it get's better.
                              __________________
                              I'm currently working on some novels. If you're interested you can read them here:
                              https://www.wattpad.com/user/ImperialSun
                              Reply With Quote
                                #247    
                              Old June 15th, 2013 (1:37 PM).
                              Dakotah's Avatar
                              Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Aug 2010
                                Posts: 903
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
                                I'm not gonna even bother with the rest of your post, but I'm gonna say I know the game is an RPG and I know graphical capabilities has to be limited, but are we really gonna use that as an excuse?
                                What's the point of complaining about something outside of our control? Far better to accept what is and be happy about it. That's what I do. Graphics never was all that important to me especially since I'm visually impaired. In fact, I would be perfectly content with greyscale graphics, which at least would be something I could actually see properly.

                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
                                But anyway, that's not what I'm here to argue about. Your quoted sentence, on the other hand, that kind of mentality needs to go. You should NOT tell anyone bothered by this to "take a rest". I'm one of the last people who'd complain about graphics, and I DO plan to buy this game, but am I not allowed to complain about it? Graphics ARE important, regardless of what anyone says, and to me X/Y is exactly why. If the game is ugly, it's ugly, no two ways about it. Now am I not gonna play the game because of it? No. But will I be bothered by it? Yes. And that's why I'm complaining. Gameplay is first but I don't like to play a game that looks like shovelware. I have every rights to criticize.
                                Of course you have every right to criticize, but equally I have every right to roll my eyes at people who whine and complain about something they have no control over. It's like complaining about the weather, a pointless waste of effort. Your energies would be better spent doing something else. But hey, it's yours to waste, so if you want to vent and stomp your feet and pout with your arms folded across your chest like a child who didn't get the last piece of cake just because the graphics aren't to your liking, knock yourself out. I'm not going to stop you. But don't for a second think that I can't criticize your criticisms. Besides, in the end, what will all your complaining about the graphics accomplish? Not a darned thing. Just like complaining about the weather.

                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
                                The graphics did not improve that much since January anyway. At least, from what I saw. How is X/Y "polished" anyway?
                                Even I can see that the graphics are sharper, and I'm visually impaired. Take a screen capture of each of the videos released and compare them.
                                __________________
                                DAKOTAH
                                Personal Website
                                YouTube Channel


                                1693-4093-6753
                                Normal Safari
                                Lillipup / Audino / Ditto


                                "...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #248    
                                Old June 16th, 2013 (2:25 AM).
                                Spinosaurus's Avatar
                                Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Apr 2009
                                  Posts: 4,572
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
                                  What's the point of complaining about something outside of our control? Far better to accept what is and be happy about it. That's what I do. Graphics never was all that important to me especially since I'm visually impaired. In fact, I would be perfectly content with greyscale graphics, which at least would be something I could actually see properly.
                                  Good for you. Graphics aren't important to you, but it is to others. It's out of my control but I want to express my distaste about it. THIS thread is asking us about our opinion about the graphics. Cut it out with that crap.

                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
                                  Of course you have every right to criticize, but equally I have every right to roll my eyes at people who whine and complain about something they have no control over. It's like complaining about the weather, a pointless waste of effort. Your energies would be better spent doing something else. But hey, it's yours to waste, so if you want to vent and stomp your feet and pout with your arms folded across your chest like a child who didn't get the last piece of cake just because the graphics aren't to your liking, knock yourself out. I'm not going to stop you. But don't for a second think that I can't criticize your criticisms. Besides, in the end, what will all your complaining about the graphics accomplish? Not a darned thing. Just like complaining about the weather.
                                  This is extremely hypocritical in every way. How is criticizing me any better than criticizing the graphics? You're being extremely childish here. I only made one post to express my distaste which took me about 5 minutes to make. That's not a waste of time. Might as well say the posters who are praising the graphics are wasting their time as well, because it isn't any different. Your posts on the other hand...

                                  You said it yourself, graphics don't matter to you. But to some of us it does. And we don't like it. So you're telling us we're wasting our time expressing that? Suit yourself, but you're really not doing any better. Unless you want me to complain about the gameplay? Because I'd be happy to, as I have issues with the formula. But you're gonna say something stupid like "stop nitpicking about video games and go outside", won't you?

                                  Your whole posts scream "stop disliking what I like". If you want me to stop complaining (and I only made one post and was about to leave it at that) give me good arguments on why the graphics aren't as bad as I think they are. I have no problems with proper debates like these. But clearly you can't, so you're resorting to the "you're wasting time complaining" fanboy excuse.

                                  But I'll stop, if it'll make you sleep at night.

                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
                                  Even I can see that the graphics are sharper, and I'm visually impaired. Take a screen capture of each of the videos released and compare them.
                                  Sharper in resolution only. Hell, they're not gonna even look that clear on a 3DS (which is 240p). There are improvements, but not much.
                                  __________________

                                  Twitter - Tumblr
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #249    
                                  Old June 16th, 2013 (2:37 AM).
                                  Dakotah's Avatar
                                  Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                                     
                                    Join Date: Aug 2010
                                    Posts: 903
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
                                    Sharper in resolution only. Hell, they're not gonna even look that clear on a 3DS (which is 240p). There are improvements, but not much.
                                    Well there you go. The graphics are better than they were. And in another few months, how much better do you think they might be when the game is finally released. And I for one will enjoy playing the game on my 3DS XL. Now if only they made a 10" version compatible with my Android tablet...
                                    __________________
                                    DAKOTAH
                                    Personal Website
                                    YouTube Channel


                                    1693-4093-6753
                                    Normal Safari
                                    Lillipup / Audino / Ditto


                                    "...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #250    
                                    Old June 16th, 2013 (2:43 AM).
                                    Spinosaurus's Avatar
                                    Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Apr 2009
                                      Posts: 4,572
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
                                      Well there you go. The graphics are better than they were. And in another few months, how much better do you think they might be when the game is finally released. And I for one will enjoy playing the game on my 3DS XL. Now if only they made a 10" version compatible with my Android tablet...
                                      I never said they didn't improve anything though, just very little. Which is why I really doubt the game is gonna look any better come release, but here's hoping.
                                      __________________

                                      Twitter - Tumblr
                                      Reply With Quote
                                      Reply

                                      Quick Reply

                                      Join the conversation!

                                      Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                      Create a PokéCommunity Account
                                      Thread Tools

                                      Posting Rules
                                      You may not post new threads
                                      You may not post replies
                                      You may not post attachments
                                      You may not edit your posts

                                      BB code is On
                                      Smilies are On
                                      [IMG] code is On
                                      HTML code is Off

                                      Forum Jump


                                      All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:33 AM.