• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are there EVIL pokémon?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
It's said that pokémon are deep down good creatures, no matter how violent they may seem at a first glance. But the Japanese name for the Dark type is the "Evil" type, and some pokémon do seem to be really mean. Example is the group of Zangoose that chases Chimchar in the anime, or the pokémon that agree to fight for Team Rocket and do horrible things to others.

Do you think any pokémon are inherently evil? Feel free to expand on how you interpret the word evil in this context.​

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
There is no such thing as inherently evil, in the Pokémon world or otherwise. The reasons to why they commit acts that are labeled as "evil" differs with each of them. Basically, they are "evil" because of something, may it be a past experience or they were taught to be evil by someone else.

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
Years
No pokemon are truly evil experience in the past may have changed them evil, The other pokemon that are trainers pokemon, Pokemon after they stay with that trainer it begins to act like it's trainer so like team rocket's pokemon are evil because they are if they were good than they would be good.

Years
While Pokemon can be used to do bad things to people and other Pokemon, I don't think any of them are inherently evil. Many times I'm sure a Pokemon was no different from any others, but once it got into the hands of the wrong trainers, it started doing evil things, even if it wasn't what the Pokemon truly believed in. Either that, or it may have been mistreated by others in the past, causing it to turn its back to the world and become angry (but not necessarily evil).

I also think that just like humans and other animals, Pokemon have varying personalities, too, and some turn out to be more of a jerk than others. It might get itself into mischief by doing stupid things, but I don't think that makes them evil, either. So while some Pokemon may act evil at times, I don't really think that they are evil.

Years
I believe that no one Pokemon is born evil; they must acquire the undesirable trait of being evil from a past trainer or past experience that shook them into the wrong side of reality. I believe that Pokemon are like pets (lets say dogs) for example because they are a reflection of you their trainer, their master, and protector. Sure, some Dark or Ghost type Pokemon may give off the assumption of being sinister because of some questionable actions they do whether in the anime, manga, or in-game. But this does not make thm evil at all. Their "sinister" actions are in their nature. Even the Pokemon that Team Rocket (or any evil gang in Pokemon) are not entirely evil. They are simply following their master - who they think is amazing and a role model, no matter what - and going through with what they want. So, no, Pokemon are not evil - they have to be made evil either by a tragic experience or a bad trainer. They are simply a reflection of you.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
Animals in the real world aren't evil. Violence or pack behaviour is just a part of nature. But Pokemon are a lot more intelligent than animals, take Darkra and Gengar for example. They most certainly have sinister intentions (Darkrai was the villiain of a Pokemon movie even) Does that make them evil? No, I think there are hardwired predators, who were just made to do that, steal souls or whatever. Most Pokemon are not truly evil. A few might be twisted by humans to become evil, either emotionally or artificially i.e Shadow Pokemon, and some ghost types do some pretty wicked stuff, but overall Pokemon aren't evil like us. Not to say they all live like happy, frolicking bunneary's but generally only Pokemon intelligent and naturally dangerous enough might become evil if humans taught them to be.
did you even watch that whole movie? what darkrai did was to defend the people from dialga and palkia. and i dont even know what youre talking about with gengar. anyways i dont believe they are naturally evil or even changed to be so. i think that they just follow what their trainers command whether it be a little kid or a gang of bad guys.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
wasn't meowth in the tv series kind of evil? like he knew what he was doing, and if memory serves they did not like him but he still stuck around to do bad stuff? Or am I getting different stories confuised? lol I might be, but, I still think meowth was sort of bad.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I believe that no one Pokemon is born evil; they must acquire the undesirable trait of being evil from a past trainer or past experience that shook them into the wrong side of reality. I believe that Pokemon are like pets (lets say dogs) for example because they are a reflection of you their trainer, their master, and protector. Sure, some Dark or Ghost type Pokemon may give off the assumption of being sinister because of some questionable actions they do whether in the anime, manga, or in-game. But this does not make thm evil at all. Their "sinister" actions are in their nature. Even the Pokemon that Team Rocket (or any evil gang in Pokemon) are not entirely evil. They are simply following their master - who they think is amazing and a role model, no matter what - and going through with what they want. So, no, Pokemon are not evil - they have to be made evil either by a tragic experience or a bad trainer. They are simply a reflection of you.
You summed up what I would like to say pretty well ^^
Also, wild pokémon could seem evil, I think, because they are violent. Maybe they defend their territory very eagerly, or maybe they are predators who are naturally hostile towards their prey. Or maybe something in their wild life has happened to make them grumpy or downright malicious.

Seems most people in this thread agree on that evil is something that lies deep down and is definite, and that pokémon don't have that trait. I agree!

wasn't meowth in the tv series kind of evil? like he knew what he was doing, and if memory serves they did not like him but he still stuck around to do bad stuff? Or am I getting different stories confuised? lol I might be, but, I still think meowth was sort of bad.
Haha, okay he might be an exception. Even when he had traveled with Ash for a while and become their friend and helped them and such, he chose to follow up the Rocket plan and turn back to "the dark side". But really, he mostly wants to earn money and become Giovanni's favorite pet. So he does everything he can to get there. He believes that goal of his is more important than gaining a few twerp friends (Ash, Pikachu etc.) and that's why he keeps being their enemy. I'm not sure that makes him evil, just... Persistent ^^

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
If Pokémon are not inherently evil, then that would mean that we could theoretically put them in any role in a given game. Even those that look obviously evil by our standards. That is the magic of Pokémon.

Years
You summed up what I would like to say pretty well ^^
Also, wild pokémon could seem evil, I think, because they are violent. Maybe they defend their territory very eagerly, or maybe they are predators who are naturally hostile towards their prey. Or maybe something in their wild life has happened to make them grumpy or downright malicious.

Seems most people in this thread agree on that evil is something that lies deep down and is definite, and that pokémon don't have that trait. I agree!

Yes, I see must people on this thread agree that evil is something they must gather or gain, not a trait passed down from generation to generation. I don't think Wild Pokemon are evil, either. They're probably just tryin to protect their territory from intruders and themselves from being caught (though i dont know why they wouldnt want to be caught - unless, of course, the trainer who caught you is rough on you).

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Yes, I see must people on this thread agree that evil is something they must gather or gain, not a trait passed down from generation to generation. I don't think Wild Pokemon are evil, either. They're probably just tryin to protect their territory from intruders and themselves from being caught (though i dont know why they wouldnt want to be caught - unless, of course, the trainer who caught you is rough on you).

Hmm...

You know, looking things from different perspectives... it always look like you're never exactly right or wrong. The world is a grey, grey area.

Makes me wonder whether a Pokémon turned "evil" can be redeemed.

Years
Hmm...

You know, looking things from different perspectives... it always look like you're never exactly right or wrong. The world is a grey, grey area.

Makes me wonder whether a Pokémon turned "evil" can be redeemed.

You may be right :) I'm simply stating my opinion on how I think the Pokemon world works. No one assumption is ultimately correct. But I love seeing other people's POV of the Pokemon world ^^

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
It's said that pokémon are deep down good creatures, no matter how violent they may seem at a first glance. But the Japanese name for the Dark type is the "Evil" type, and some pokémon do seem to be really mean. Example is the group of Zangoose that chases Chimchar in the anime, or the pokémon that agree to fight for Team Rocket and do horrible things to others.

Do you think any pokémon are inherently evil? Feel free to expand on how you interpret the word evil in this context.​

That Pelipper's being doing evil stuff to get its wing-tips that colour...xD

Giratina strikes me as one that could be. After all "It was banished for its violence. It silently gazed upon the old world from the Distortion World." - Pokédex. Lots of pokémon are violent, but it's the only one that some combination of Arceus, Dialga, Palkia and the Lake Trio sought to banish because of it, suggesting it takes it over the top - which could certainly be interpreted as an evil characteristic akin to the Joker in The Dark Knight.

Other than that, I haven't really seen anything to suggest any other pokémon is inherently evil. But those that have been abused by the likes of Team Rocket could become evil.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Was Giratina really evil in the anime movie, in the end?

Also, Genesect strikes me as a pretty evil pokémon. But then again, it's a predator and in the upcoming movie they are violent because they believe their world as it once was has been taken from them.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
In the anime movie? I think it was just aggravated. But I was going on what the games say. The anime's just so different...for example one person (Ash) seems to connect emotionally with every legendary there is :P

Genesect is Predator xD. This guy might suggest it's evil :P
archer-season2.jpg

...and if you don't get that, you're missing out on a quality show

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Given that Pokemon are rather similar to (and oft based on) folkloric diminutives like fairies, it seems that presuming an inherent moral temperament upon them per species is reasonable. They might not comprehend morality, but if what they do is considered evil by human perspectives, they are, as far as humans are concerned, evil. Morality is an invented concept with a purpose to dictate appropriate behaviour within a society, and what isn't appropriate is what we call evil.

Years
I don't think any Pokemon are inherently evil, but if there can be evil people there can probably be evil Pokemon. There are plenty of Pokemon who ought to be smart enough to know what right and wrong are (as concepts anyway), like Alakazam or Metagross. Perhaps their brains don't work like people's brains, but I don't think they can be so alien and different from people that they could be intelligent and still not understand the concept of evil. At least with the more intelligent ones.

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
I love how everybody instantly agrees with each other, but I disagree:

Almost every pokemon is inherently evil,violent, and spiteful little creatures (with a few inconsistencies here and there). It takes a good owner (not necessarily a trainer) or caring wild parent to change their malevolent ways.

I also believe that some pokemon do not have consciences, and care simply to live rather than care about what is morally correct.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I love how everybody instantly agrees with each other, but I disagree:

Almost every pokemon is inherently evil,violent, and spiteful little creatures (with a few inconsistencies here and there). It takes a good owner (not necessarily a trainer) or caring wild parent to change their malevolent ways.

I also believe that some pokemon do not have consciences, and care simply to live rather than care about what is morally correct.

That would be twisting "evil"

e·vil
/ˈēvəl/
Adjective
Profoundly immoral and malevolent.
Noun
Profound immorality, wickedness, and depravity, esp. when regarded as a supernatural force.​

Pokemon don't do things just to spite. They are based on animals and while most are above animal intellect they still fall under the pretense of animal behavior. Everything they do is to generally survive. Nothing is ever intended purely to harm (with exception of Bannett who is a living embodiment of grudge).

A rattata ruining your home and eating your food would be the same as a mouse living in your house. They do it to simply survive as the animals aren't capable of understanding Morals which is purely a human concept. Evil doesn't exist to animals, and by relation neither does it exist to Pokemon.

Instict to survive (while wild) may cause them to do some fairly bad acts such as brutally attacking or maiming, but that is how they have had to live. Its purely survival.

The creators have said that there are no purely inherently evil Pokemon. Even Banette in the anime would be somewhat docile. The trickster ghost types mainly prank because they find it amusing to a certain level. While some of their dex and info fillers can be morbid, none of them are designed to be in any way shape or form, "evil"

Back