• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Gen 1 Pokémon Fan Club

Which starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Your username: Banz
Your favourite Gen 1 Pokemon: This is a very hard question. I'd say Ninetales.
Why did you choose to join this club?: Because Gen I has some of the best Pokemon.

What Pokémon did you see most prominently in your Pokémon Gen 1 play through? Do you like this Pokémon?
I don't remember my whole team but I had Bulbasaur with me all the time (finally evolved into a Venusaur) and I evolved my Eevee into a Jolteon.

FayAurora

Dark-Type Trainer/Breeder
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
Wow! Seems like the club is kind of exploding! (Or at least becoming a little more well-known :P )
Anyways, I just felt like answering the new topic: What Pokémon did you see most prominently in your Pokémon Gen 1 play through? Do you like this Pokémon?
Well, every step in caves was zubat battle after zubat battle, unless I was lucky enough to have a repel on me. I haven't played Gold or Silver in a while, ever since my poor internal batteries died, but from what I remember, I surprisingly ran into quite a few growlithes on one of them at the very beggining! But it was only when I didn't have any darn Pokeballs, and about after the third gym, I went back to try and catch some, but they were gone like the wind!! But it was still a fun game, all in all :)

Puppeteer Mask

Hey-Chicka-Bump-Bump!
Years
Your username: PuppeteerMask
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Beedrill
Why did you choose to join this club?: I'm not a Genwunner, and while I'm still out on whether or not Gen 1 is my favourite Generation, it is definitely close to my heart. I got into Pokemon back when it was the new thing, got interested with Nintendo Power's little Pokemon mini-mags back in the day, and eventually caved and got Blue Version. It was loads of fun, and while I can't remember much of what I did in those first few playthroughs, I can say with confidence that I can still plug in my old Red Blue and Yellow cartridges and have loads of fun with them all. The original 151 are more than just pokemon to me, they are the representation of my childhood.
Why did you choose your current favorite Pokemon? Beedrill is one of my favourite pokemon of all, although admittedly when I was a kid I did not care for it nearly as much. Hell, I'm horrified of bees (and most insects/arachnids/creepy crawlies) to this day, but I love this little guy. I don't think I can even describe why. It just looks so badass, and quite frankly, when I saw the first episode they were in, I couldn't help but feel sorry for them. (Although watching them sleep while using their needles as a headrest like people would was amusing.) People like to villify Beedrill in fanfic because of it, or paint them as really super weak, but when you think about it, they were just defending their territory, like real animals.
Which starter Pokemon is your favourite, and why? (Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle). Squirtle mang. Squirtle was my very first pokemon ever, (and according to the poll so far, I was the only one that saw him fit for use... T_T) and he was a favourite even before I played the game. Sure, Charizard is cool. But Squirtle was cute as all get out. Never underestimate the power of being as cute as all get out. I loved his baby face, I loved his swirly tail, I loved everything about him. Still do.
What Pokémon did you see most prominently in your Pokémon Gen 1 play through? Do you like this Pokémon? I honestly can't remember, but I do remember as a kid being stuck in the Silph Co. tower, and I thought that I had to get past a Team Rocket member that was blocking a hallway. I remember him always saying when you talk to him "That reminds me! KOFFING evolves into WEEZING!" So I guess in a roundabout way, Koffing and Weezing were the pokemon I saw the most of. I like them a lot now... but back then they just annoyed me. I did like Koffing's voice in the anime, though. I also remember seeing a LOT of Gastly and Haunter, for some reason I remember level grinding on those suckers a lot. Unlike most of my generation it seems I bore absolutely no feelings of horror towards Lavender Town. Even when one of my schoolmates tried to toss playground urban legend creepypasta material as a kid, my response was to look at him like he was an idiot and go "yer outta yer mind dood". ...although now creepypasta DOES make me uncomfortable, so... irony?

But I do love the Gastly line. A lot, they're good fun. Especially in their red and blue forms. When I was finally able to get myself a Gengar I was excited as hell.

FayAurora

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
Hey guys, I decided I'm going to start making banners for The Gen 1 Pokemon Fan Club, but a bit more personalized than the original.
If you want one, send me a message with your name and your favorite first gen Pokemon, and I'll make it like the first banner, but it will be a different color (you can decide, or it can be a color to go with the Pokemon's type), same words (The Gen 1 Pokemon Fan Club), and the sprite of your Pokemon with possibly your username, if it fits.
Here is the original banner:

Here is a personalized banner (mine):

I didn't think of this until now, but here is a form for the banners:
Name on banner (optional):
Shorter name/Nickname (in case your full username doesn't fit):
Pokemon on banner (only one or two):
Color of background (optional, it will be colored to the type of Pokemon if you don't choose):

Last edited:

FayAurora

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
FayAurora is good at making banners. He did the one in my signature!

Lol sorry, but I'm a she ;) But anyways, thank you :)

And just so this gets posted to the next page, here is the form for a banner:
I didn't think of this until now, but here is a form for the banners:
Name on banner (optional):
Shorter name/Nickname (in case your full username doesn't fit):
Pokemon on banner (only one or two):
Color of background (optional, it will be colored to the type of Pokemon if you don't choose):

And just a random question, but does anyone still have any of their first gen Pokemon games? I used to have Red (but I have no clue what happened to it), and I have a friend who has Blue, so the only game I have is Yellow, but I'm proud that I still have that one, plus I'm trying to buy all of the games, Red, Blue, and even Green!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Your username: AlexOzzyCake
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Sandshrew Sandshrew Sandshrew Sandshrew Sandshrewwwww <3
Why did you choose to join this club?: Sandshrew! Because Gen 1 was the starting point for all Pokémon games, beginning something truly wonderful and a huge part of my life. I still remember opening up Yellow and playing it for the first time, and the whole experience was just incredible. I began to take it for granted around the time of BW coming out, but I soon got back into it and love it just as much as these original games.

I think the Pokémon I saw most throughout the Gen 1 was Sandshrew, simply because e remained my partner the whole time! Or Pikachu because I played Yellow and he just follows you everywhere haha. As for wild/trainer Pokémon, I think the most common would have to be the Nidoran families! I remember every other trainer in RBY seemed to have them in one form or another and it got rather tedious haha. I have nothing against them, but when they're not particularly weak to many things and they have a decent amount of bulk they can grow a tad tiresome :p

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
Years
My favorite Gen 1 legendary is Mew, because it can learn Transform and more moves than just Transform, like Ditto. What's yours?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
My favorite Gen 1 legendary is Mew, because it can learn Transform and more moves than just Transform, like Ditto. What's yours?

Mew is very cool, agreed! I absolutely love that there's a second (and cooler) Pokémon to learn Transform, though I do wish he could get a bit more use out of it haha (though I don't remember how he learns it!). As for my favourite Gen I legendary, I think I'll have to go with Articuno. It's such a beautiful and elegant Pokémon - just imagine her gracefully soaring over the sky raining down an icy mist from her wings as she glides carelessly on the breeze. Is there any Pokémon more worth looking at?

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I never really got to like Mew that much. I mean it's adorable and all, and the countless hours spent on looking for it in the originals, whether it was under the truck, by beating the Elite 4 100 times, or whatever other methods the various rumours went by, they were still really fun, even if they never gave any result. But yeah, just the fact that it was so out of the way and pretty much impossible for me to obtain in any of my games without exploiting a bug or cheating, because no such events ever came here, it just never really grew on me that much. It's appeared a few times in the anime, but not really enough for me to consider it anywhere close to my favourite :p

I kinda blew my chance at catching it quite a few years back. Near the end in the years of my initial Pokemon obsession, I did get to learn about the bug to get Mew and naturally tried performing it, myself. Just before the final step where I'd get Mew to actually appear, I chose to save and wait to show it to my friends the next day, because even at that time, none of even thought it was possible to catch it. However, I was incredibly impatient, and after a few hours I decided to just enter battle to take a look at it. It worked, and Mew appeared, so I just tried battling it to see how good it was. Turned out it was insanely frail though, and I accidentally killed it, so I just turned it off and waited till the next day. I go to show it to my friends, and what do you know, apparently you can only get it to appear once, even if you didn't save your game afterwards. So all of my friends just thought I lied to be cool, and I never got to show them that catching it was actually a possibility :p I'm sure I could make it appear again by redoing everything, however back then I thought it was only possible once, and didn't want to try it again, just to have my friends laugh at me again. I did manage to do it on one of my friends' version though, and he was pretty happy to get a Mew :D

But yeah, just a quick story of my childhood :p Maybe that's why I don't like Mew that much :O

As for my own favourite first generation legendary, I'd have to say my favourite would be Mewtwo. Mainly because I don't really think the first generation legendaries had that much to them other than design. They lacked any background stories, and were only really memorable for being the first in my case. If Arcanine had ended up being a legendary in the final version, maybe that one could've made it as my favourite of that generation, mainly because Arcanine is pretty darn amazing, as well as it'd just be so different since it was the only Pokemon of the elemental trio to not be a bird. And yeah, for those who don't know, Arcanine was apparently supposed to be the original fire type of the legendary bird trio, but was replaced with Moltres because it'd make more sense to make it a bird trio, rather than having two birds and one dog :p Maybe that's why Moltres was so terrible in the first generation games >:O

But yeah, the reason Mewtwo is my favourite of the first generation legendaries is, not only because it's an insanely strong Pokemon, especially in the originals where Psychic types were horribly overpowered, but also because it was the only of them to have an actual backstory, some kind of indication of its origin. All the others are just there. And while Mew may be infamous for being so rare and having so many rumors on how to catch it, nothing was ever explained about that one, other than it was extinct and apparently was only found in some part of the real world that I can't remember. Mewtwo on the other hand was explained to be the result of a science experiment, where they attempted to clone Mew for whatever reason. He was confined within the Cerulean Cave because he was too dangerous and powerful for ordinary trainers, and all access was blocked for anyone who hadn't proven themselves to be exceptional trainers. It may not be as elaborate as some of the newer generations, but it's still an awesome concept, and it's still the only off of the 5 original legendaries to actually have a backstory :p

I don't believe in hacking but I do believe in shortcuts sometimes. If I ever get my Crystal version fixed, I definitely need to get Articuno, Celebi, etc. on there.
Wait, what do you mean by shortcuts? Also how are you gonna get Celebi on there? Don't think there currently is any other way than cheating, exploiting a very difficult and time consuming bug iirc, or owning a Japanese version of Crystal, where you might still need a real-life event to activate.

I'd be alright with having every legendary in the game if they were actually cleverly hidden, like with the Regis in the third generation games. But yeah, not really about first generation Pokemon.

Also guys, since I was on topic with Mew a bit earlier in my post, I'd love to hear which kind of Mew rumours you have ever heard if any. So I guess a small topic? Have you ever heard any of the rumours on how to catch Mew? If so, which ones were you favourite/which ones did you find to sound the most tedious and craziest? :p

Last edited:

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Wait, what do you mean by shortcuts? Also how are you gonna get Celebi on there? Don't think there currently is any other way than cheating, exploiting a very difficult and time consuming bug iirc, or owning a Japanese version of Crystal, where you might still need a real-life event to activate.

like GameShark or something, or is that technically a hacking device? I've never used one but my dad's ex's son did when I lived with them many years back. I don't know how you'd use one on a GameBoy Color though or if it'd hurt it or hurt the game play.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
like GameShark or something, or is that technically a hacking device? I've never used one but my dad's ex's son did when I lived with them many years back. I don't know how you'd use one on a GameBoy Color though or if it'd hurt it or hurt the game play.
If it's a Gameshark or Action Replay or whatever is out there, then yeah, it'd be considered a cheating device, and could mess up your game if not used with caution :p It's usually used together with emulators to avoid damaging ones real cartridge, and it's mainly used to get unobtainable Pokemon or super strong Pokemon and such, so yeah. I find it acceptable to use it for those who can't obtain them by any conventional means, like for those who don't get an event for a certain legendary Pokemon, though only past generation 4 where there weren't wi-fi trades :p

But yeah, back on topic!

I've honestly forgotten quite a few of the Mew rumours I've heard during all these years, as most of them were really long ago and really unbelievable, so not anything I've tried. The two main ones I can remember are the "Mew under the truck rumour" and the "beat the E4 100 times rumour". Mew under the truck is probably one most people who've owned a first generation game have at least heard about. It was pretty simple actually. In the harbor in the area with SS Anne, there were two inaccessible platforms to the sides of the tier that lead down to the SS Anne, since at the time of entering the SS Anne, you didn't have Surf, and once you'd obtained Surf, you wouldn't be able to get down to that area again. Well, due to a bug, where you would be able surf past the guy blocking the entrance to the area, people were able to get back to the area with the SS Anne, and discovered that on the platform to the right, there was a truck. The truck had no function at all, and no one know why it was even placed there. Well, at the time Mew rumours were already going around like crazy, so of course the truck also ended up getting involved. And now to the actual rumour.

The original rumour was, that if you used Strength on the truck, you would be able to move it like a boulder, and under it there would be a Pokeball. Interacting with the Pokeball would initiate a battle with Mew. Of course this turned out to be fake, but is probably one of the most widely believed rumours of all, and has branched out into many different rumours, often incorporating other methods into it, like beating the Elite 4 a certain amount of times, or talk to these people a certain amount of times, before you'd be able to do it. Also there was something about a hidden item that'd be used to move the truck, but yeah. All fake. The truck was probably just an easter egg for anyone who managed to find it.

The second rumour is pretty self-explanatory. Beat the Elite 4 100 times, and something would happen to give you Mew. Of course I never went through with this rumour because I got bored after like 3 times, but either way, it was fake. It was usually something like professor Oak would give it to you. or you'd be able to cut the trees to the right of Pallet Town to find Mew, or you'd be able to access the area behind Bill's house to get to his "secret garden", which was another big rumour in itself. But yeah, it was fun days with all the rumours, of course none of them were ever true :p

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
If it's a Gameshark or Action Replay or whatever is out there, then yeah, it'd be considered a cheating device, and could mess up your game if not used with caution :p It's usually used together with emulators to avoid damaging ones real cartridge, and it's mainly used to get unobtainable Pokemon or super strong Pokemon and such, so yeah. I find it acceptable to use it for those who can't obtain them by any conventional means, like for those who don't get an event for a certain legendary Pokemon, though only past generation 4 where there weren't wi-fi trades :p

But yeah, back on topic!

I've honestly forgotten quite a few of the Mew rumours I've heard during all these years, as most of them were really long ago and really unbelievable, so not anything I've tried. The two main ones I can remember are the "Mew under the truck rumour" and the "beat the E4 100 times rumour". Mew under the truck is probably one most people who've owned a first generation game have at least heard about. It was pretty simple actually. In the harbor in the area with SS Anne, there were two inaccessible platforms to the sides of the tier that lead down to the SS Anne, since at the time of entering the SS Anne, you didn't have Surf, and once you'd obtained Surf, you wouldn't be able to get down to that area again. Well, due to a bug, where you would be able surf past the guy blocking the entrance to the area, people were able to get back to the area with the SS Anne, and discovered that on the platform to the right, there was a truck. The truck had no function at all, and no one know why it was even placed there. Well, at the time Mew rumours were already going around like crazy, so of course the truck also ended up getting involved. And now to the actual rumour.

The original rumour was, that if you used Strength on the truck, you would be able to move it like a boulder, and under it there would be a Pokeball. Interacting with the Pokeball would initiate a battle with Mew. Of course this turned out to be fake, but is probably one of the most widely believed rumours of all, and has branched out into many different rumours, often incorporating other methods into it, like beating the Elite 4 a certain amount of times, or talk to these people a certain amount of times, before you'd be able to do it. Also there was something about a hidden item that'd be used to move the truck, but yeah. All fake. The truck was probably just an easter egg for anyone who managed to find it.

The second rumour is pretty self-explanatory. Beat the Elite 4 100 times, and something would happen to give you Mew. Of course I never went through with this rumour because I got bored after like 3 times, but either way, it was fake. It was usually something like professor Oak would give it to you. or you'd be able to cut the trees to the right of Pallet Town to find Mew, or you'd be able to access the area behind Bill's house to get to his "secret garden", which was another big rumour in itself. But yeah, it was fun days with all the rumours, of course none of them were ever true :p

What exactly is an emulator? I've heard of these but never seen or used one. I heard thought that it can save your saved game data 300 times or something so you never lose it. If I were to get my Crystal version's internal battery replaced to where I can play it again without the data erasing again and again, I was going to use cheats to get ahead since I misplaced my strategy guide book but I am kind of anxious about it, not wanting to ruin my cartridge.

I remember the Mew rumors on the older games. I might have tried that S.S. Anne one but nothing ever came of it and I never got Mew in any way or form. Never knew about the Elite Four and Bill rumors though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back