• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Badge Challenge

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Username: Huggermugger
Game: FireRed

I just have a quick question. Mr. Mime is available for trade on Route 2, right before Pewter, but you're not able to reach that area of the route until you can go through Diglett's Cave. Would I still be able to use it? Probably not, but it's worth asking :).

Years
UPDATE #1:

CURRENT TEAM:

CharmanderNormalSprite.gif

WAKAFLOCKA (Charmander) LV 13
MankeyNormalSprite.gif

RICKROSS (Mankey) LV 10
016.png

WIZKHALIFA (Pidgey) LV 10
CaterpieNormalSprite.gif

KATYPERRY (Caterpie) LV 6
025.png

JAY-Z (Pikachu) LV 5
019.png

YELAWOLF (Rattata) LV 3

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
Years
Username: Huggermugger
Game: FireRed

I just have a quick question. Mr. Mime is available for trade on Route 2, right before Pewter, but you're not able to reach that area of the route until you can go through Diglett's Cave. Would I still be able to use it? Probably not, but it's worth asking :).

I wouldn't count that since you can only actually get there after you've beaten the first gym. So no, Mr. Mime is not allowed. Good idea though. XD

Years
okay, so I'm in Vermillion City right now, but I was wondering if I could still catch a Rattata to use since it's catchable before the 1st gym? (I forgot to get him on my way to Pewter City ._.)

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
Years
Yes, that is allowed. I seem to be getting asked that a fair bit, so I'll update the first post to include it in the rules. : )

Also, sorry I haven't been updating on my playthrough. I've gotten heavily distracted by the ultimate Normal mono-type challenge. XD I will be finishing this run as soon as I find myself able to tear myself away from the Normal type challenge. : )

Years
okay, thank you for letting me know :)

Update #2:
  • After defeating Brock, I continued to Rt. 3, battling the gathering of random trainers with ease. I trained my Pokemon in the grass before Mt. Moon to lvl 20, so that we would have no problem in Mt. Moon.
  • In Mt. Moon, I battled the trainers that ran into my path (or did I run into theirs?), and got an old fossil that could be turned into a prehistoric pokemon from some nerd. As soon as I got my hands on the Helix fossil, Team Rocket (a gang of bad guys) demanded that I give them the fossil. I refused and declared a battle where I beat them easily with my Pikachu and Butterfree.
  • As I exited the cave, I was in the next city on my map: Cerulean City. As soon as I got there, I tried walking on a bridge, but Gary stopped me, asking me for a battle. I swept his Pokemon away and he left crying (not really). I then healed my Pokemon up and took the Nugget Bridge Challenge.
  • When I got to the end of the challenge, a member of Team Rocket asked me if I wanted to join their team (I wish there was a Yes/No option for that ._.). I quickly refused and he, of course, challenged me to a battle. I beat his Pokemon and he was whining about how I would make a great addition to Team Rocket.
  • I then headed for the Misty's gym. I beat her trainers in there with my Pikachu and Pidgey - who evolved into a Pidgeotto. When it was time to battle Misty, I used Pikachu to take out her Staryu and a combo of Butterfree's Poisonpowder and Pikachu's Thundershock to take out her Starmie. Misty gave me the Cascade badge as my reward and a TM to use.
  • I healed my Pokemon and went into a house that a member of Team Rocket had robbed. He stole Tm-28: Dig. I fought the Team Rocket Member and got back the TM that I have not used yet.
  • I went through the Safe-House leading to Vermillion City, and saved as soon as I got out.

Current Team:

Ie4gGTR4HRJivfqsw60zolie1AyIETICutoFZQsT6XQktsKW5eTy8UlaT9vgKJ991uLE1z9XlQIP_J8P7o9KkwGu8jwRrRARpT0sLB_OOoeR1erAatFgIAUo

Lightning the Pikachu, lvl 27
Moveset: Thundershock, Quick Attack, Slam, Thunderbolt

3XNRrdQavXvvoMUfP_DgJLQg-oVrz3puZ-zv-0E50zYej4uBmtnLATnHyqvEAS-v3RR7NIbE2CJBWMTEksfgAan9XSx0bqNXE2Mn9RHS8RGUTdERFuJBag0f

Beauty the Butterfree, lvl 24
Moveset: Confusion, Poison Powder, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore

27VoMzN4ZmwtyTR8dTLVMga7VzwgFerfxW-JwFd3kGwnV0nroqRo0HfMuIH2be2Prk6Pn63tieQqlJrpt5lCe2trj9To5CJJTlCJneQK5FWcyNmPsLFtme1F

Nutmeg the Pidgeotto, lvl 22
Moveset: Gust, Sand Attack, Quick Attack, Whirlwind

Years
UPDATE #2:

CURRENT TEAM:

CharmeleonNormalSprite.gif

WAKAFLOCKA (Charmeleon) LV 20
MankeyNormalSprite.gif

RICKROSS (Mankey) LV 18
016.png

WIZKHALIFA (Pidgey) LV 16
ButterfreeNormalSprite.gif

KATYPERRY (Butterfree) LV 16
PikachuNormalSprite.gif

JAY-Z (Pikachu) LV 19
019.png

YELAWOLF (Rattata) LV 3

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
FireRed Update #1

Name: Huggs
Rival: Muggs
Starter: Admiral the Squirtle

-Got to Route 22 and caught the next two members of the team, Snowball the Mankey and Herow the Spearow
-Went through Viridian forest and caught Margarine the Caterpie at the end
-Went into the Pewter Gym with a Lv. 7 Squirtle and beat the place with my eyes closed
-Went back to Viridian Forest, grinded and hunted for the last member of the team, Ziggy the Pikachu
-Margarine evolved twice on the route east of Pewter
-Got through Mt. Moon, did Nugget Bridge and all that (during which Admiral evolved into a Wartortle), then took on Misty
-She was quite the pain IIRC. Team effort.
-Started grinding Snowball through SS Anne and the routes east of Vermillion so she could take on Surge
-Fight wasn't that bad, digged my way to victory

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spr_3f_008.png

Admiral the Wartortle, Lv. 17
Ability: Torrent
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Withdraw
-Water Pulse

Spr_3f_021.png

Herow the Spearow, Lv. 17
Ability: Keen Eye
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer
-Secret Power

Spr_3f_056.png

Snowball the Mankey, Lv. 26
Ability: Vital Spirit
-Seismic Toss
-Focus Energy
-Dig
-Brick Break

Spr_3f_012.png

¸Margarine the Butterfree, Lv. 18
Ability: Compoundeyes
-Tackle
-Stun Spore
-Sleep Powder
-Confusion

Spr_3f_025.png

Ziggy the Pikachu, Lv. 22
Ability: Static
-Thundershock
-Slam
-Double Team
-Thunder Wave

HM Slaves:
CH'DING the Farfetch'd: Cut

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 15, 2023
Username: DarkChibimon
Game: Yellow/Heart Gold/Emerald/Platinum/Black
Additional Restrictions: All: Must use starter Yellow: Must use Nidoking/Nidoqueen Heart Gold: Must use a Dunsparce Emerald: Must use a Ralts Platnum: Must use Shinx Back: Must use the Monkey pokemon I get before the first gym

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Always wanted to get around to using a Butterfrees and Pidgeots. I might try this. :]

Username: Narnia
Game: Crystal

No restrictions! Will get started right away. :]

Last edited:

N30

The New Fire
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2023
Username: N30
Game: Pokemon Silver
Additional Restrictions: Kill any shiny pokemon I see (includes the shiny Gyrados), must pick Chikorita, no pokemon are allowed to evolve before the first gym (execpt Chikorita), Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium must be used to "faint" the last pokemon. However, if defeated I must use the next pokemon (in the right)

Last edited:

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
I've already started, but I haven't broken any of the rules so... it should be fine for me to sign up right? (I haven't even beaten Falkner yet)

Username: tabor62
Game: Crystal
Additional Restrictions: None

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2014
I'm in

Username: "NAME"
Game: Emerald
Additional Restrictions: Only allowed to own four pokemon at a time

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Update #1

I started the game on Saturday or Sunday since I had a bit of spare time. I haven't exactly done that much, but I've managed to catch my whole team and train for a tiny bit. Let's get started on details! First things first, as I was playing, I was skyping with one of my friends from the server. I told them I was doing this challenge so they asked if the protagonist could be called after them. I figured why not so, I went with the male character and decided to call him Chase after [supporter]jellicentfan1[/supporter]. Would of called the character Jelli but that's kind of giving Oak the information of future Pokemon, so I decided not to.

After a brief and warm introduction, gender confusion and a bit more chatting, he finally sent Chase on his way towards the world of Pokemon. He suddenly found himself shrinking and there he was, in a small house. After checking the PC hopefully for a free potion, which to his disappointment there was none- he headed downstairs. As he walked in, a woman greeted him. He assumed this was his Mum- I mean, a woman... in your house.. well I don't think it'd be an ordinary stranger to say the very least. That'd just be creepy. :p

So Chase's Mum walked up and started chatting away. She mentioned something of heading out to Elm's lab, gave him a Pokegear, explained how to use it even if Chase already had the speech drilled into his head, gave him a pat on the back and sent him on his merry way. Chase sighed and hoped that people in the game weren't all exactly like this. He then decided to head out towards Professor Elm's lab to see what all the commotion was about. As he was walking, he spotted a red-haired boy staring into the window. Definitely not creepy. Deciding to mind his own business, he walked in.

Elm somehow managed to make Chase walk up to him and then after a friendly hello, got right down into things. He rambled on about discoveries, a guy named Mr. Pokemon, Pokemon eggs etc. Chase didn't really care, the whole time he was eying the three Pokeballs on the table, wondering exactly was inside. He imagined roaring dragons and huge monsters that could tear a foe into shreds. His cheerful thoughts were burst by the Professor, who then suddenly looked at him and said. "Now... you can have a Pokemon from there. Go ahead, choose!"

Chase frowned. So as a reward for listening to this man ramble, he got a Pokemon? Fair enough. He walked over and eyed them all carefully. Cyndaquil's back burst into flames, in an attempt to impress the trainer. He passed over it quickly- while fire-types were cool, he was sure he'd find something even better out there. Next, his eyes fell onto a small,aqua crocodile who was snapping his jaws playfully. Nope. Lastly, he noticed Chikorita. The cute, little thing smiled at him innocently. He couldn't resist. He scooped up the Chikorita and grinned. "This one's mine!" he said.

Elm approved of the choice and then asked if Chase wanted to give it a nickname. Now naturally since I'm controlling Chase, I get to make all the decisions. So I decided to call the Chikorita, Alana, since it was the first name that popped into my head. So Alana the Chikorita and Chase walked out, one potion richer.

After training a bit on the route west of New Bark Town, he came to a small city by the name of Cherrygrove. He then met an old man who showed him around and made a clever pun about the sea. Chase approved of this guy. He finally came to his house and was given a map. This old man was really cool. The old man wished him luck and departed. In a good mood, Chase healed up and went all the way to Mr Pokemon's house, occasionally healing on the way. At last, he made it to the house with his pockets weighed down by berries. He was tempted to eat one but he wasn't exactly sure if they weren't meant for him.

Inside, Mr Pokemon gave him an egg to return to Elm. Chase couldn't help noticing the old man in the corner, who looked very familiar. Oak. The guy who had confused his gender. What was he doing here? Oak introduced himself and then gave Chase a Pokedex. ENTRUSTING POKEDEXES TO RANDOM STRANGERS- okay, seemed fair enough! Chase left after resting for a while, only to receive an urgent phone call of needing to hurry back immediately. He slowly strolled back and as he was walking out of Cherrygrove, was approached by a red-haired boy.

The red-haired boy muttered something about wimps and then they suddenly engaged in battle. After lots of tackles, leers and other things, Chase came away as victorious. He happily headed back to the lab, completely forgetting that Elm was in a crisis. As he strolled in casually, he walked straight into the walking arms of a police officer. What did he ever do? Turns out that the police officer just wanted information. he remembered the red-haired boy saying his name but it was dancing out of the corners of his mind. Derk. Yes that was it. (Jelli requested the name of the rival :])

The police officer then left and Elm suddenly said that he should take the Gym Leader Challenge. Could Chase ever catch a break? Apparently not. He talked to his Mum and then entrusting her with his money, headed out with Pokeballs now in his bag as well. He would catch all his Pokemon early. First he decided to go to that route in the middle. He headed up and the sun had just risen. He searched around for a while before finding a Phanpy. He caught it easily and named it Melody.

After a tiny bit of training, he then headed up to Route 30. He walked all the way to the Dark Cave and after a few hours of searching, he came across a Teddiursa. He caught that and called it Tom. He then stopped for a long break, when he finally came back to go catch some more team members, night was falling. He managed to catch a Spinarak since it looked fairly interesting and called it Kudos. As he was walking through the wet grass, he then encountered a Poliwag, which he also caught and named Kermit. Finally, he decided to go to Violet City. After healing up, he went to the small patch of grass to the left of the city and caught a Growlithe which he named Aslan. After another hour of training his team, he decided to stop and call it a day.

Current Team

152.gif

Alana the Chikorita (F)
Level 12
-Tackle
-Growl
-Razor Leaf
-Reflect
231.gif

Melody the Phanpy (F)
Level 7
-Tackle
-Growl
167.gif

Kudos the Spinarak (M)
Level 6
-Poison Sting
-String Shot
-Scary Face
058.gif

Aslan the Growlithe (M)
Level 7
-Bite
-Roar
060.gif

Kermit the Poliwag (M)
Level 9
-Bubble
-Hypnosis
216.gif

Tom the Teddiursa (M)
Level 7
-Scratch
-Leer

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 15, 2023
Yellow Update

-Got Sparky (Pikachu) and beat my Rival Icey
-Got King (Nidoran♂)
-Train both of them to Lv 12
-Beat Icey again
-Got Bugy (Caterpie)
-Evolve Bugy into Metapod and Butterfree
-Beat Brock with King
-Evolve King into Nidorino than got a moon stone and evolve King into Nidoking
-Beat Misty
-Got Bubasur and Charamder
-Beat Icey for a 3rd time
-Beat Lt. Surage
-Got Squirtle
-Beat The grass gym, poison gym, Psychic gym fire gym, and ground gym
-Beat the E4 and Icey

Team before I fought the E4
4dae.png
c0wz.png
bhic.png

Years
UPDATE #3
I defeated Lt. Surge and obtained the Thunder Badge. I accidently recorded over the battle so i do not have a video of it. But here's me VS Erika!

CharmeleonNormalSprite.gif

WAKAFLOCKA (Charmeleon) LV 32
017.png

WIZKHALIFA (Pidgeotto) LV 31
057.png

RICKROSS (Primeape) LV 30
ButterfreeNormalSprite.gif

KATYPERRY (Butterfree) LV 30
RaichuNormalSprite.gif

JAY-Z (Raichu) LV 29
019.png

YELAWOLF (Rattata) LV 6

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
First Update on my FireRed run.

Chose Charmander as my starter.
Easily beat my Rival.
Did the whole beginning stuff.
Obtained the PokéDex and PokéBalls.
Went to Route 22 where I caught a Mankey.
Went to Viridian Forest where I caught a Pikachu and a Caterpie.
Trained Charmander and Pikachu to level 10 on Route 2, right before Viridian Forest.
Trained Caterpie and Mankey to like 7-8.
Took on the Rival on Route 22.
Took on the Bug Catchers in Viridian Forest as I made my way towards Pewter.
My (now) Metapod evolved into Buterfree.
Reached Pewter, healed up and took on Brock's Gym, leveling Mankey up on the trainer inside the Gym.
Kicked Brock's ass with Mankey who reached level 11 in the process.
Healed at the PokéCenter and saved.

Badges

50px-Boulder_Badge.png

Current Team

004.gif

Charmander
Level 11/Female/Lax/Blaze
Scratch
Growl
Ember

056.gif

Mankey
Level 11/Female/Relaxed/Vital Spirit
Scratch
Leer
Low Kick
Karate Chop

012f.gif

Butterfree
Level 10/Female/Jolly/Compoundeyes
Tackle
String Shot
Harden
Confusion

025.gif

Pikachu
Level 10/Male/Mild/Static
Thundershock
Growl
Tail Whip
Thunder Wave

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Username: Dark leader Adam
Game: Emerald
Additional restrictions: None

So can I use pokemon from Route 116 and Rusturf tunnel? Also can I return to places once I get a good rod to catch pokemon?

Last edited:

overlord tyranitar

The Yeti on the Silver Mountain
Years
Sign me up, What better way to get back into Pokemon than a fun challenge?
Username:Overlord Tyranitar
Game:HG
Additional Restrictions:Run ends when Red lays broken before me and I hear the lamentations of his Pokemon.

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
Years
I'll hopefully sign up to this challenge as soon as I've fixed my DSi! <3

Back