• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I have a question (Shocker, normally I provide the answers xD) about move tutor moves.

In Platinum, I can tutor Luxray Signal Beam and Superpower, among others. If I were to transfer my Luxray (once I get it), teach them moves than transfer it back to Diamond, would that work? Or would the game not recognise its capability to learn said moves?

Years
I have a question (Shocker, normally I provide the answers xD) about move tutor moves.

In Platinum, I can tutor Luxray Signal Beam and Superpower, among others. If I were to transfer my Luxray (once I get it), teach them moves than transfer it back to Diamond, would that work? Or would the game not recognise its capability to learn said moves?

yea of course, man. pokemon games seem to not really worry too much about a pokemon's moves, even if they werent possible at that time. so if you teach a move in platinum and trade it to diamond, itll be all good. in fact, you can even hack pokemon and teach them illegal moves (e.g., teach your luxray roar of time) and itll be completely fine. you MIGHT not be able to take these illegal moves into online matches, but they work in games like battle revolution

Roh

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 7, 2014
Best Type Set?

Not necessarily the Pokemon themselves, but what types would be best for a rerun of HGSS? I want to keep my starter, and I don't want any HM tools, I want to be able to use all my Pokemon equally and fairly.

Edit: Of course specific pokemon suggestions are perfectly appreciated too

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
There's a wide range of great Pokémon for you to catch and use. Type-wise and in general, I'd say ensure you capture dual-typed Pokémon. Thus obviously, you'll be able to cover a wide range of types and weaknesses. You can also cover a lot more types if you allow your Pokémon to learn a diverse move pool. Instead of saying, have three bug-type moves, teach your Pokémon a normal, bug, fighting and say...a steel type move.

Anyway, I'll move this over to the 4th Gen Help Thread. Next time, if you have a quick question to ask, post it there. That way, you'll get helpful responses quicker.

[ Moved ]

Gooner_Tyzack

Where's The Frigging Ditto?
Years
Where Do I Go Now?

Any tips on what to do now? I've just come out of the seaform islands with my newly caught Articuno, just wondering, where i should go now? Maybe a good spot to train up my pokemon to take on the next gym leader etc?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
yea of course, man. pokemon games seem to not really worry too much about a pokemon's moves, even if they werent possible at that time. so if you teach a move in platinum and trade it to diamond, itll be all good. in fact, you can even hack pokemon and teach them illegal moves (e.g., teach your luxray roar of time) and itll be completely fine. you MIGHT not be able to take these illegal moves into online matches, but they work in games like battle revolution

Cheers :)

Not necessarily the Pokemon themselves, but what types would be best for a rerun of HGSS? I want to keep my starter, and I don't want any HM tools, I want to be able to use all my Pokemon equally and fairly.

Edit: Of course specific pokemon suggestions are perfectly appreciated too

As Curious. said, double-typed pokémon are good. I'd suggest either two water-types (there's 3 water HMs, all of which are needed at some point), or one water-type and something capable of learning Surf (and ideally doing some damage with it) such as a Dragon, Hariyama etc.
And if you don't mind me suggesting a starter: Feraligatr. Personally not my favourite, but definitely the best one for the game, for numerous reasons such as: being water-type, diverse movepool (Ice moves are really useful after all).

Gooner_Tyzack

Where's The Frigging Ditto?
Years
Can anyone advise me on a good place to train my pokemon to take on the last gym leader? (16)

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
No one answered me on my post so ill post here, looking for a final pokemon to get, here are the pokemon i have all at lvl 45 Pikachu, Drifblim, Alakazam, Whiscash, and Infernape

Open to any suggestions

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2013
Question about leveling.

Hi all,

I am playing pokémon Heart Gold(best PKMN game there is imo) and I am almost ready to go and face Red. Yesterday I transfered my Charmander from Fire Red to my Heart Gold and know I am wondering...

When I am leveling a pokemon, I usaully go to the place with the strongest pokemon. Then I put the pokemon I need to be trained in the first slot, and then when battling I switch it out. But when I do this, will it be less strong or will it be the same as gradually levelling it??

Years
No one answered me on my post so ill post here, looking for a final pokemon to get, here are the pokemon i have all at lvl 45 Pikachu, Drifblim, Alakazam, Whiscash, and Infernape

Open to any suggestions
It is entirely upto your choice but seeing your team has not any Dragon type, you should catch one...

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
Where's the best place to grow berries in Sinnoh? In Emerald the best I've found is the berry garden near the Berry Master's house. Is there anything like this in Sinnoh?

Years
Where's the best place to grow berries in Sinnoh? In Emerald the best I've found is the berry garden near the Berry Master's house. Is there anything like this in Sinnoh?

I recommend any of the soft soil patches that can grow four Berries at once.

For a full list on locations, look here and see the "Sinnoh" section. You'll find some good locations there.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I can't seem to be able to wrap my mind around Honey Trees. I read about them but things are still unclear. Will I always find the same pokemon on the same tree? How do the Munchlax trees work?

Years
I can't seem to be able to wrap my mind around Honey Trees. I read about them but things are still unclear. Will I always find the same pokemon on the same tree? How do the Munchlax trees work?

The Pokemon found in the Honey Trees are different in every location, and as for Munchlax, it is found on four of these trees, and these four trees it can be found in are designated on every different save file. They have a 1% encounter rate, which makes them extremely rare.

If you think they're too hard to find, you could alternatively request someone to trade you one in the Trade Corner section here on PC.

For more information on Honey as well as the full list of Honey Tree locations in Sinnoh, click here.

Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2013
Hi, just a quick question. Do you guys have any tips of good starting strategies in SS? Picking a starting Pokemon and strategies to get good ones early?

Hi, I'm starting my game tomorrow and I was just wondering what would be the best way to level up fast and early? Any good leveling up strategies going into the 7th and 8th badges?

Last edited by a moderator:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
@nvbarnes, your posts were moved into the 4th gen help thread. You could play through the game and decide for yourself which Pokemon is great in battle, but here is my advice.

To train quickly, get an exp share (you'll gain access to that around after encountering the Red Gyarados). Return to the person who gave you the mystery egg to get the exp share. Another option is to trade in Pokemon that aren't your OT - they'll get boosted exp.

Starter Pokemon
Cyndaquil - Great choice. Good special attack and speed. His movepoll is quite shallow, but he does learn useful moves like Flame Wheel and Lava Plume quite early. I like teaching mine Dig/Earthquake too.

Totodile - Another good choice. He has balanced stats and learns a powerful Surf/Waterfall through HM. He also acquires Ice Fang and Crunch quite early.

Chikorita - A poor choice, for me. His offensive stats are low and he works better at defending or supporting, often unnecessary in-game. Offensive is the way to go... While he acquires Razor Leaf and Magical Leaf, grass type moves aren't effective against many enemies (Team Rocket uses poison types).

Good Early Pokemon
Mareep - He is quite bulky and learns powerful electric moves. He also picks up Signal Beam and Power Gem, which can help you cover more type advantages.

Nidoran Male or Female - Both can learn a number of TMs. If you happen to find a Moon Stone, you could have a fully evolved Pokemon by level 16.

Scyther - He has great attack and speed, and if you happen to catch one having the ability Technician, he will benefit from having a boosted Quick Attack, Aerial Ace, Wing Attack, and so on.

Zubat - Another speedy Pokemon. His final evolution is very fast and can deal a chunk of damage with either physical or special attacks.

Growlithe - If you happen to not choose Cyndaquil, this one is a viable option. He will learn strong fire type moves in level 30s as well. He can also get (as Arcanine, level 39) Extremespeed.

Vaporeon/Chinchou/Marill - Good balanced water types if you don't use Totodile. If you want to evolve your Eevee into something else, I consider Espeon and Jolteon to be quite powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back