• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

First Person Shooting games opinions

FPS ratings

• Total voters

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
The actual games aren't bad at all. I don't mind playing any FPS, really. The communities suck but most of the games don't. Sometimes it's fun to shoot things, but not when you have to mute every other player in the middle of a match because they won't shut up.

TY

The actual games aren't bad at all. I don't mind playing any FPS, really. The communities suck but most of the games don't. Sometimes it's fun to shoot things, but not when you have to mute every other player in the middle of a match because they won't shut up.

Excactly. For instance: Battlefield 3 had a good story and a fun co-op, but the online community ruins the Multiplauer. Since CoD is way too focused on Multiplayer and its campaign is pretty crap, id prefer BF3 over CoD if i had to pick. Idk about Far Cry's community since i barely played online with it, and Borderlands is bragging about the rarest loot and eliminating tough enemies together.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
I quite like them, or at least a good number of them. While I'm not a huge COD fan, I still enjoy playing the games once in a while (mainly so I can troll idiots online). Mainly, though, I like games like the Borderlands and Bioshock series, as well as the FPS Fallout games.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I can't say I'm really a fan. The only FPS games I've really enjoyed, I enjoyed for other reasons and often felt annoyed by the fact that they were part of the genre at all. Bioshock was the first FPS I ever played and it had a lot of RPG elements and its story was the priority, compared to multiplayer-based FPSes. The only other one I really like is the Left 4 Dead series and that one is more about teamwork and ambiance than necessarily shooting... if that makes any sense. (If Portal counts, I liked it too and it's obviously not a traditional one either.)

But stuff like Halo or Battlefield? The only reason to play it is for the sake of doing something with my friends and I just don't enjoy the actual shooter aspect of any of them. The games aren't fun for me and they all feel the same. The only difference to me is the controls used to reload the weapon and minor things like whether or not you regenerate health. I don't like competitive multiplayer and often the co-op (ie single player) modes are only there to facilitate the multiplayer so they aren't as polished. As a result, I just don't enjoy myself when I play shooters/FPSes and will generally avoid them entirely.

I'll still check them out if they're supposedly genre-changing or critically acclaimed but for the most part I'm just fine pretending they don't exist.

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
Years
I tried playing CoD once and it was... okay, I guess. It wasn't the best game at keeping my interest for long though lol, and the people yelling and giggling on the mic didn't help. I much prefer DOOM. That game is so fun. Shooting demons in hell is fun.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I have never had the motivation to play a FPS cover to cover. The closest I got was playing a few hours of portal and...

I guess they're not my sort of thing, but I don't mind them personally.

Last edited:
Years
Every FPS game I've played I have generally enjoyed, both campaign and multiplayer! It just one of those genres that really appeals to me, the first game I seriously played was an FPS and I am a CoD fan, but I actually play the game legit so it's all good.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Well, I don't really have much of an opinion of the games themselves, as I rarely play them, and I don't dislike them for anything specific other than the fact that I'm horrible at them :p And again, it depends on which game it is. I've never been able to get into games like Call of Duty and stuff, yet I really enjoy the Borderlands franchise, and that may have to do with the lack of competitive play in Borderlands, as it focuses more on the co-op.

I do however have an opinion on a large chunk of the fanbase for FPS games. You mentioned that they seem to hate Pokemon, but that may just be because a lot of them are trolls, and as Pokemon has been seen as a rather childish game over the years, Pokemon fans are perfect targets for trolling. But yeah, a lot of people play them because they're the "mature" and "cool" games out there, which is pretty ironic considering a large percentage of the players are little children just trying to be cool by playing these kinds of shooters. Now of course that's not the entire fanbase, as there are people who just simply enjoy the games without having to be involved in the whole internet war the games have generated, quite a few who enjoy franchises like Pokemon as well. So yeah, my opinion mainly lies with the fanbase rather than the games, but I must admit, most of them are kinda similar :p

Also, I feel like the poll is kinda targeted at either love or hate, which are not the only opinions in the world :p

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I enjoy first-person shooters to a degree. But not all FPS I love. For example. Half-Life 2 and Portal are two of my least favorites.

I enjoy the multiplayer aspect of FPS as well. My two most played FPS are Halo and Call of Duty (from MW2 and up).

In terms of story line play, Bioshock seems to my favorite (but mostly because I enjoy looting and in-game choices).

My enjoyment of Call of Duty online can sometimes change as my skills have never been consistently great as opposed to Halo where I've always been able to hold my own.

It appears that as long as I'm good at Call of Duty, I have an okay relationship with the series. Lol.

UltraMew said:
What's your opinion on FPS's? God, the people who play them seem to hate Pokémon...

______

Yep. Most of them hate all the good games.

Also, these type of assumptions drive me mad. I am a hard core FPS fan, but I'm also a devote lover of Pokémon since 1999. And my love for Halo and CoD has never come between my love and respect for Pokémon.

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2017
I think it is funny when people say that FPS games suck because they are all same. I mean have those people ever seen NES game library? So much platformers, and so less new innovations on them.

I still like FPS and platformer games.;)

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
They're pretty damned fun. FEAR is my favorite game and TF2 is still one of my favorite game to play with friends hats be damned.

Years
Adding to my previous comment, I think that they are still very fun, but new ideas need to be introduced. TF2 is popular because it is different, free and it's a game where nubs can't get hold of the amazing weapons so you have to be good at the game to be good at the game. I understand that with games like CoD, they want to keep it more modernized, but it would be so much better if it was fitted for older audiences and the creators listened more to what customers say.

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
I like most fpses, I just hate all the fanboys on YouTube because they hate every game except for the game they are a fanboy of (mostly CoD). And CoD is still ok, but every new game is almost the same, when you played one CoD you played them all. But I enjoy simple multiplayer FPSes like CS and TF2 and singleplayer FPSes with a good story like Half-Life and Portal a lot more than CoD or BF.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2013
FPSs are fun to play, but Pokemon is also fun for when I'm not playing COD, the main game I play. From the one ones I have played, none are bad altogether, and the one I haven't played, but have seen some gameplay of, look entertaining enough. I guess I played too many FPSs over the years :p. It usually comes down to your expetitions of games, whether you play to enjoy rather than to be competitive everytime, and other aspects of the game. I personally can't live without FPSs and Pokemon.

Infinite Latios

Champion
Years
I despise first-person shooters. There's no art. No plot. If there is a plot, it's always zombies. Zombies this, zombies that. If you're going to have violence and zombies, at least be classy about it like Skyrim.

Years
The Halo series and Goldeneye on the N64 are and will be the only FPS's I play.

To my eyes, FPS is a bit overrated in the gaming industry. Some people's (including me) favorite genres of games are being obsolete.

Yes, FPS can be fun after a while, but later it gets boring, so it isn't my cup of tea and I absolutely hate it.

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
I despise first-person shooters. There's no art. No plot. If there is a plot, it's always zombies. Zombies this, zombies that. If you're going to have violence and zombies, at least be classy about it like Skyrim.
Well that's not really true, most online multiplayer fpses yeah, but you don't play those for the story, just for fun. And there are a lot of single-player fpses with an interesting story, like Half-Life, Portal,
the Metroid Prime series, (if you count that as an fps) Halo and Borderlands.

TY

Most FPS games do have a story, but in the case of CoD and BF they usually suck. Borderlands 1 didnt had a story at all, but they changed that and made a great story in BL2. Also Far Cry 3 has a fantastic story and im sure there are more, less known FPS games with a good story.

CoD and BF arent the only FPS games...

Back