• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Pokémon Games Hard?

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
F*ck nah! lol

Uhh...

...I mean, at certain points in da game, I guess. I remember being horribly underleveled when getting ready to face da pokemon league on R/B/Y...I was wiped out several times by Gary. :p

And in R/S/E with their bullsh*tty gym leaders. >.< Prolly da hardest Pokemon game up to date. Wattson, Flannery and Norman can all suck it! lol

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
Pokemon is a series where any problem can be overcome by knowing what type is good against another, and by level grinding. To me, that isn't the sign of a hard game. I struggled with the first two generations of games even with type advantages - Misty's Starmie still gives me nightmares, and I don't even want to think about how hard I found Erika's Victreebel - but from that point onward I've never really had any problems at all with them.

But, if you're getting beaten, you either need to grind a few more levels, or switch. I think the only hard thing about Pokemon is having the patience to grind so that you can easily overcome anything it throws at you...especially when you've got a bunch of Level 50s and are about to tackle the Elite Four.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I made the games very hard when I first started them by only training one pokemon..... In Crystal that started to change and they became very easy.

The game can become a nightmare depending on the player. However, there is a few hard things such as the Battle Frontier and possibly the Battle Subway in 5th Gen. I have only gotten 1 or 2 Frontier Symbols and that was in Emerald. However, I did beat most of the Battle Subway. I think the only part I never beat was Elite Doubles.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I think Pokemon's main series, while still keeping it's casual feel during the story, has already stretched out farther than the "younger crowd" alone. Initially, it did start with just some simple battling system with cute little critters exchanging hits... until the mechanics and metagame grew and turned post-game suitable for the older and mature audience. The fact that stuff like PWT and Battle Frontier exist in the latest installments is proof of that. It's a children's game no longer!

Whenever I look at Pokemon Yellow, I couldn't deny on how kiddy and simple it is. But looking at Gen V, there's a large difference to the point that I already put it alongside titles I find as "RPGs w/ challenge" (w/c really doesn't matter if post-game or pre-credits) instead of the more common "mainstream spoon-feeding RPGs" that we get most of the time.

I'm now more of a "hardcore" RPG nut (as compared to what I was 10 or so years ago) and this is definitely some change I've appreciated as the franchise (and myself) grew. I'm simply glad that I'm still enjoying a childhood game, not because of nostalgia, but because of how it's current titles still fit my tastes.

Last edited:

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
Most of the game has ridiculously easy parts. I think they should let us change difficulty in XY. But NOT with a key system. They should have the difficulty since the beggining

The Local Joke

Trubbish in the Classroom
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 8, 2013
I have never found Pokemon to be difficult. The closest thing to difficulty was the fight with Ghetsis in B/W. That was just ridiculous, so I had to go out and get about 10 levels ahead to stand a chance. It's all about being tedious to train, not difficulty in fighting.

Years
Ingame yeah, is ridiculously easy if you know what you're doing. Expert players have to impose restrictions on themselves to make the game bearably challenging. But the battle frontiers are decently challenging, especially the battle factory which I still cannot the gold symbol to this day.

Years
I personally think most of 'em are easier than lots of other games I've played. Black 2 and White 2 ramped up the difficult by quite a lot, though, so they're exceptions to that. Hopefully the future Pokemon games will be the same difficulty because I really enjoyed that. o/

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
On the whole, I've always found the "main" games pretty easy. I recall struggling some when I first played through Red, mainly because of my difficulty getting through caves/dungeons. Indeed, I remember restarting my game because I wasn't sure how to get through Mt. Moon. I also recall attempting to Struggle myself to death to get out of the Seafoam Islands (I eventually stumbled across an exit, but with an overleveled Blastoise that only knew offensive moves, all of which OHKO'd any enemy I encountered, I couldn't come up with a faster way to knock myself out). In retrospect, though, the games were only difficult at first because I was young and didn't really know what I was doing.

At some point, several years after I first played Red, I went back and replayed the game. It was interesting to note that it took me about ten to fifteen minutes (while half-asleep) to clear a dungeon (Victory Road) that I had become stuck on for months when I first played through.

The newer games seem easier to me than I recall the older ones feeling when I first played them, but that's likely a product of my increased experience and abilities. Even if the games have shifted from being moderately challenging for, say, an eight year old to being equivalently challenging for a ten year old, I've grown a lot more than that in my fourteen years of playing Pokémon. Frankly, given that Pokémon games are likely geared towards a relatively young audience, I think it's a good thing that I don't find them challenging anymore (particularly in comparison to games I've played that are geared towards an older demographic). Many posters on this forum are likely in a similar position, and hence, the majority of us probably find the games easy. If this forum were made up of eight year olds who had never played more challenging games, we would likely see a different distribution of opinions on this topic.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Difficulty means levels. In terms of strategy, Platinum was the hardest Pokémon game I've played. But I'm sure BW2 in Challenge mode are harder because of the additional strategic element.

Back