• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Which language?

droomph

weeb
Years
shrew is right. that is probably the least exciting thing i have heard about X & Y
if you want to learn a language. buy some tapes..

yes but if you think it's uninteresting don't come here and say that it is, because tbh nobody cares if you don't care.

Some people might find it interesting, so don't come here and tell us that it's not interesting, because that's rude to those who do.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
I will play one in English and the other in Swedish as am half Swedish.

Sorry for the late response but you can't play the games in Swedish. Only in French, German, Japanese, Korean, English, Spanish and Italian.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 13, 2024
shrew is right. that is probably the least exciting thing i have heard about X & Y
if you want to learn a language. buy some tapes.
to answer your question. i will be playing the game in english. I'm not some hipster that is going to try and learn a complete different language by playing a pokemon game.

"oh, what can you say in korean?"
Pikachu... i can say Pikachu..

I learned english thanks to the Pokémon games.

I will play one in English and the other in Swedish as am half Swedish.

Try to think about what kind of names we would get then. Frösaurie? Glödla? Svättpadda? Mjutvå? No thanks.

Last edited:
Years
My first game was Pokemon Silver in Korean and haven't played any of the other Pokemon games in Korean so I'll probably pick that if it helps bring in any nostalgia.

And yes, I'm Korean.

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
I'm just going to play it in English, since it's the only language I can really understand except for Dutch. But even if the games were in Dutch, I would probably still play them in English, because the names of moves (in the anime) for example just sound terrible in Dutch. And I might even learn a little bit of new English words I didn't know, when I don't know a word in a game, I just Google Translate it because I'm curious lol. So by playing most games, I always learn a little bit of English. (almost every game is in English here, with a few exceptions, depends on the developer really)

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Well, im deciding to start with english or french? Eh, doesnt matter for me...probably french since i always played english PKMN games.

Annataz

Master of Time and Space
Years
I'm not fluent in any of the other languages, so my first playthrough will be in English. I'll try to do my second playthrough in French, though. I took five years of it in high school, so maybe I'll remember some of it.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
I'll be playing in Engly. No point of playing the game if I can't understand a damn thing they are saying.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
If I ever get around to learning enough Korean to understand the game, I'd love to do a playthrough like that. However, I'm still extremely new to the Korean language so I don't see that happening anytime soon. For now, I'll stick with English :)

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I think it's smart of GF to make more than one language available in the game.

I will still just be sticking to English though. Trying to do things in other languages frustrates me.

Years
I speak English so that's obviously going to be my main choice. I do understand French fairly well, though, so if there's an option to switch languages at any point, I might give it a try just to see how much I can actually understand.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Nice to see I'm not the only person who wants it in mexican spanish.

As a Spaniard, I'm on the other side of the spectrum :P Although I'm sure the American version and the European version will have their appropriate languages each.

I might have a second playthrough on English- in which case, it would be the first time I play a pokémon game in English since Gen. III XD

PureAurorae

Comrade
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 17, 2013
I will first play through in English. If there is an option for it, I might play through in Dutch because it might help me pick up a few words, I am learning the language.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
If it had Arabic (my native language) I'd definitely play it in that! But unfortunately not... Both X & Y will be played in English.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I like the idea of allowing everyone to choose what language they want their game to use.
Because that way, you don't need to import the Japanese versions if you want to play in Japanese; All you have to do is buy two of them at your local store and then you can get as many Japanese Pokémon as you want for breeding purposes (assuming the Masuda Method remains in the games, of course.)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I like the idea of allowing everyone to choose what language they want their game to use.
Because that way, you don't need to import the Japanese versions if you want to play in Japanese; All you have to do is buy two of them at your local store and then you can get as many Japanese Pokémon as you want for breeding purposes (assuming the Masuda Method remains in the games, of course.)

The language selection is just for text, not location. Even if you select Japanese, the Pokemon is still generated on an American game cartridge and won't allow for the Matsuda Method on the same cartridge or even on another American Cartridge.

Only thing that changes when you select another language will be the text will change to a different translated version, like French will all be in French rather than English but it won't change where the Pokemon is from since its still an American/English Cartridge.

Back