• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Challenges on Motorcycles!! [CI&D]

Hmm, I dont mind you trying" Syd, but I prefer doing it privately. Not really comfortable with people knowing what's happening..
But I decided to do the challenge...just to stop thinking about it..

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Hello guys, recently I've successfully made a new challenge. The Organism Challenge. It's about choosing an animal class with extra rules and general rules. Does somebody knows more rules I can add? I think I don't have a lot of extra rules and general rules.
Any kind of help is appreciated!

Years
I would suggest keeping things simple and broad!
For instance, spiders or horse pokemon species are few and far between.
I would suggest perhaps the following:

Mammal, Amphibian/Reptile, Bird, Fish, Invertebrates, Plants/Fungi

I would suggest going through each pokemon line and categorizing them into one of these categories. For any human-like pokemon, I would put them in mammal, just a note. Also, mechanical species, like Magneton should be banned, given they are inorganic.
The set up could vary from mono-organism classification or one member representing each of the category. I would suggest having both options for alternative challenges.

This ought to serve as a refresher as to what constitutes what sort of species.
http://animals.about.com/od/invertebrates/tp/invertebrate-groups.htm

Hope this helps ;)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Hmm, I dont mind you trying" Syd, but I prefer doing it privately. Not really comfortable with people knowing what's happening..
But I decided to do the challenge...just to stop thinking about it..

You don't have to tell me if you don't wanna, but you are more than welcome to PM me about it and I'd be willing to help as much as I can. :)

And considering I'm not the one that made the challenge, it's not too egocentric. ;) But if you like it (and the CSS, cause y'all know I don't play with that lol) go tell AlexOzzyCake that you love it and that he's fierce! And should participate in it...he did make it after all!

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
Just came up with a new challenge (tho I won't be starting it for a while yet. I just got a 3DS and I'm waiting for Pokemon White to come in the mail. Trying to break away from the computer and emulating these days).

Random Master Challenge

This challenge is entirely up to chance and luck...

Unlike the usual Randomizer challenge that allows you a bit of freedom (if you don't like a team, there's nothing stopping you from clicking the randomizer multiple times until you get something workable then posting your results), we will having Masters to determine everything about your team. The "Master" of your challenge will roll a d20 die to determine the types you'll use, and then use the usual Pokemon Randomizer to give you your Pokemon for each type (trying to keep availability in consideration).

Our die numbers will be in the following alphabetical order:
1. Bug
2. Dark
3. Dragon
4. Electric
5. Fight
6. Fire
7. Flying
8. Ghost
9. Grass
10. Ground
11. Ice
12. Normal
13. Poison
14. Psychic
15. Rock
16. Steel
17. Water

Anything above 17 does not count and must be done over to get an applicable number (this will increase to 18 when XY is out to include Fairy).

ex.
Player: Sooyun
Game: White
Dice Rolls: 16, (18), (20), 3, 7, 6, 10, 14
Types: Steel, Dragon, Flying, Fire, Ground, Psychic
List results: Pawniard, Hydreigon, Unfezant, Chandelure, Excadrill, Beheeyem

So... yay or nay?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Challenges on Motorcycles!! [CI&D]

The 20 sided die sounds good. But don't we already have a randomized challenge that allows the people that are currently doing the challenge choose a team for you via the randomizer website?

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
If there is "too much freedom in selection" with the randomizer, why not just do the scramble? To me this looks like a turned down version of a scramble, but only selecting types instead of pokemon/restrictions, and a die selecting those types instead of a member.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I thought it was kind of similar to the favorite challenge, only it's just not off your list of favorite Pokemon. But the type premise is kind of similar, just with a dice and not a member's choice. And then I have some people that don't really have favorites and they get types assigned and just randomize they're Pokemon, which is pretty much what this is. I find it a little too similar to the random and favorite for me to approve it, I'm afraid. :(

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Today while doing my challenge 21 Swablu in the Sky, my Treecko got the Pokerus! I can't believe it, OMG! :D

[] Running into a wild shiny Pokemon
[x] Getting my Pokemon infected by the Pokerus in the wild

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Aww congrats! That's great! I've gotten Pokerus twice in-game, both in challenges actually. First time was in my Japanese Black 2 on my Favorite Challenge, and then again on my Japanese SoulSilver with Ones That Got Away. ...Gee. Japanese games really like me. lol

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I've gotten Pokerus several times, but I've played so many challenges that it probably isn't that high percentagewise, lol.

Sydian, you won't need to get a Jap version of X/Y this time! Yay for WW release!

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I've managed to get Pokerus quite a few times as well, but not in a challenge (if I remember correctly). I remember getting it very early in my playthrough of White, which provided an early boost to my teams stats!

I've also run into two shiny Pokemon pretty recently. I'm playing a monotype on every game I own that isn't used for storage so that means a lot of wild Pokemon and a good chance of seeing a shiny. I caught a shiny Bidoof in my fighting type run on Pearl at the beginning of July, and a few days ago I caught a shiny Audino in Black 2. It's always exciting to run into them during challenges!

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

it shouldn't matter if i signed up so early and updated much later, right? I've been really busy lately and I couldn't just find time yet to spare... >_<

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
In my opinion it doesn't really matter when or how often you update. I see challenge updates as more of a personal account of your progress, because to be honest most people won't actually read your updates. Really, the only reason I see for updates besides a personal account is for the challenger list on the first post of the thread. With these points in mind, I see no problem with signing up and waiting a while to post an update. After all, life tends to get in the way and sometimes updates on challenges just isn't high up on the priority list.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
it shouldn't matter if i signed up so early and updated much later, right? I've been really busy lately and I couldn't just find time yet to spare... >_<

Yeah, deku pretty much nailed what I was going to say. Unless you're doing an event or something, you have no obligation to update at all, really. Challenges are honestly here so that YOU can find a new creative way to beat the game. As long as the thread doesn't go inactive, you can not update for like a year, it doesn't make any difference, you're still doing the challenge. I never understand when people sign up for a challenge and then wait for the OP to put them in the challengers section (with a couple exceptions like the bingo challenge, scramble, etc. where you don't know exactly what you're doing until you get put in the first post). A lot of times, I beat the challenge before the OP even sees that I signed up for anything (especially in RBY challenges, I only sign up for stuff if I'm bored at the moment and half an hour or two to do a challenge). That being said, don't freak out if you ever get taken off the challengers list, those can get messy and lots of people sign up for a challenge and then never do it. But as long as you can remember what team you have, by all means, take as long as you want!

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I was just worried about how annoying it could be for some. Personally, I'd find it pointless and ridiculous to see someone sign up for some challenge then never update again. Like those people who join up in your group for projects on the first day and then never show up again after. I don't really care about being put up in the "challenger's section" or whatever... I mean, anyone could always do challenges without ever signing up. Speaking for myself, the very reason why I sign up for challenges is to let everyone know "I'll finish this, and will follow ALL the rules -- including time-limits". Not simply "I like this challenge, and I want my name up there.. whether I finish it or not". Me and my ego lol.

You could say that i've only posted that as a humble/respectful/hintful way of saying: "Current update on X challenge: nothing yet, because i'm busy". Not that it's a big deal for anyone, but I'd still want someone to know that I'm just putting it off due to time constraints, and not because I've abandoned or forgotten about it. I like a lot of challenges currently posted, but I wouldn't sign up unless I'm sure I'd finish it.

Thanks for the responses. Makes me feel more at ease :) Although I forgot to mention that that post was actually meant for the Challenge Event (not that it matters... and yes, i do know it's only for August) XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back