• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I have McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware. Is there a way to get Advance Text working?

You have to temporarily turn off the antivirus software whenever you want to use A-Text. It's been over a year since I last had McAfee, so I can't remember what to do exactly. I remember disabling real time scanning for 15 minutes every time I wanted to use A-Trainer.

Last edited:
Years
I'm having an issue with NPC sprites after battles, both wild and trainer.

After the battle I switch to their sprite and can't move, is there a way to prevent this or fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Eg

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014
You have to temporarily turn off the antivirus software whenever you want to use A-Text. It's been over a year since I last had McAfee, so I can't remember what to do exactly. I remember disabling real time scanning for 15 minutes every time I wanted to use A-Trainer.

Thanks, that seems to have solved the problem!

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2016
This question is about playing a hack, not doing the actual hacking. I know that I need to patch the original clean rom with say an ips file, but after doing so, say a new version of that havk is released. Can I patch the rom that has already been patched with the previous version's ips file?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
This question is about playing a hack, not doing the actual hacking. I know that I need to patch the original clean rom with say an ips file, but after doing so, say a new version of that havk is released. Can I patch the rom that has already been patched with the previous version's ips file?
That... varies... if the creator is REALLY sure that he did not change anything to previous variables/scripts/flags/etc... then you pretty much can but... it's not advisable.
In most cases it causes many unseen bugs.

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
Does anyone know a good hack for me to play? I've played many of them but I cant seem to find one that catches my eye. I like hacks with: no fakemon, good storyline, 4th gen tiles, no remakes. Any suggestions?

I've played:
Pokemon Flora Sky
Pokemon Light Platinum
Pokemon Fuligin
Pokemon Dark Rising
Pokemon Ash Grey
Pokemon Liquid Crystal
Pokemon Naranja
Pokemon Red Adventure
Pokemon Apollo...
Any suggestions?

My Pokemon Ruby Renev? In there to Hoenn Quest I add Johto region with own quest and extra 27 pokemon from Unova, Sinnoh and Kalos regions. Also I implement GOGAT RIDING. I know how.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I'm having an issue with NPC sprites after battles, both wild and trainer.

After the battle I switch to their sprite and can't move, is there a way to prevent this or fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Eg

This has been answered many times. First, make sure they do no have the "Look Down" movement type in A-Map. Then, take the sprite you switch too and change it's person ID to 828. This will hide the sprite permanently. Now move it somewhere else on the map. Next, create a new sprite exactly alike to the old one, just with a different event number. DO NOT remove the old sprite. Then the issue will just shift to a new sprite.

Years
This has been answered many times. First, make sure they do no have the "Look Down" movement type in A-Map. Then, take the sprite you switch too and change it's person ID to 828. This will hide the sprite permanently. Now move it somewhere else on the map. Next, create a new sprite exactly alike to the old one, just with a different event number. DO NOT remove the old sprite. Then the issue will just shift to a new sprite.

Great, thanks!

I didn't know the technical term for the glitch, so I have had immense trouble finding it by searching anywhere.

-Eg

I was under the impression that the problem was the Look Down movement type itself. If you change all your Look Downs to No Movements, you'll not have to go through the process of hiding the offending person event and creating a new one. As an added bonus, No Movement and Look Down are visually identical, so your players won't know the difference.

While hacking, make a conscious effort to never use Look Down and use No Movement instead, and you'll never run into the problem of assuming control of another sprite after a screen refresh and getting stuck.

EDIT: I'm just gonna list some likely search terms in this post so that people can hopefully come across it in their searches.

control sprite switch battle move movement camera stuck help trapped trap controlling switched switching sprite's sprites battles moving

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
I was under the impression that the problem was the Look Down movement type itself. If you change all your Look Downs to No Movements, you'll not have to go through the process of hiding the offending person event and creating a new one. As an added bonus, No Movement and Look Down are visually identical, so your players won't know the difference.

While hacking, make a conscious effort to never use Look Down and use No Movement instead, and you'll never run into the problem of assuming control of another sprite after a screen refresh and getting stuck.

EDIT: I'm just gonna list some likely search terms in this post so that people can hopefully come across it in their searches.

control sprite switch battle move movement camera stuck help trapped trap controlling switched switching sprite's sprites battles moving

On RSE, this doesn't solve the problem. My solution is 100% guaranteed to work, and only takes about 30 seconds if you know what you are doing. I encountered this problem my self when I was hacking Ruby when I first started and I changed everything, and spent hours trying to fix it. In fact, the issue occurred with a sprite using the "Look Up" movement. Which is why, if you look in my response, I included both.

karatekid552 said:
First, make sure they do no have the "Look Down" movement type in A-Map.

Great, thanks!

I didn't know the technical term for the glitch, so I have had immense trouble finding it by searching anywhere.

-Eg

There is no technical term. Everyone describes it exactly as you did.

Last edited:

uliekztrollface?

U MAD BRO?
Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2013
Sorry to be off-topic but yeah guys lol sorry I have Advance-Map 1.82 (groan) idk where to get 1.92.
Sorry 4 any inconvenience.
Any alternative ways to edit dialogue on PKSV? I have tried copy/pasting script offsets into PKSV
and decompiling on PKSV but it's a bunch of gibberish to me and I checked the whole thing and found no dialogue.
:/

karatekid552

Years
Quick 2:

#1 - How can I change the In-Game Trades? - http://mail.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3468561

#2 - How can I change which version of your Rival you battle after the E4? (Fire starter, Grass Starter, Water Starter ect)

Refer to JPAN's Study on the Special and Special2 Commands. In it, there is a special that will get the starter pokemon you picked and place it on a var. Then, you can compare this var and branch to three different battles depending upon your starter.

Sorry to be off-topic but yeah guys lol sorry I have Advance-Map 1.82 (groan) idk where to get 1.92.
Sorry 4 any inconvenience.
Any alternative ways to edit dialogue on PKSV? I have tried copy/pasting script offsets into PKSV
and decompiling on PKSV but it's a bunch of gibberish to me and I checked the whole thing and found no dialogue.
:/

http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/tools-utilities/download-advance-map-192-f7463.html
---

That is because it is reading the text as a script, not as raw text. There is no way to just open up text and adjust it, without knowing the script it is called in. However, if you just need a quick change, try this script:

Code:
#Dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
msgbox 0x08XXXXXX
callstd 0x2
end

Where XXXXXX is the offset of you text.

If you compile that, and then open up the script that you compiled, it will pull up the text for you also, which you can then edit and recompile. You can use this script over and over in it's post-compiled state, just by changing the XXXXXX again.

Hacking is all about thinking outside of the box. This is just another way of doing so.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024
Refer to JPAN's Study on the Special and Special2 Commands. In it, there is a special that will get the starter pokemon you picked and place it on a var. Then, you can compare this var and branch to three different battles depending upon your starter.

Thanks. To expand upon the question, where can I access the script boxes that edit the Champion battle as there don't appear to be any green "S" boxes on Advance Map for that match?!

EDIT: The script for the battle with the Champion in FR can be found @ $8162B76

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
Thanks. To expand upon the question, where can I access the script boxes that edit the Champion battle as there don't appear to be any green "S" boxes on Advance Map for that match?!

EDIT: The script for the battle with the Champion in FR can be found @ $8162B76

Just for future reference, they are map scripts, found in the map Header in A-map.

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024
Just for future reference, they are map scripts, found in the map Header in A-map.

Was unaware of the function before hand, thanks again.

Follow up and FINAL question, any way to change the "ROAMING POKEMON" in Fire Red? Aka Raikou, Entei Suicune based on which starter you chose? Wanted to change it to a Ho-oh if at all possible.

EDIT: I Know that the event for roaming is triggered by special 0x129 and that is checks var 0x4031 to see which of the three will roam, but I can't seem to be able to pinpoint where and what numbers I need to change in the hex editor to make it Ho-oh!

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
Was unaware of the function before hand, thanks again.

Follow up and FINAL question, any way to change the "ROAMING POKEMON" in Fire Red? Aka Raikou, Entei Suicune based on which starter you chose? Wanted to change it to a Ho-oh if at all possible.

EDIT: I Know that the event for roaming is triggered by special 0x129 and that is checks var 0x4031 to see which of the three will roam, but I can't seem to be able to pinpoint where and what numbers I need to change in the hex editor to make it Ho-oh!

If you use JPAN's engine, he created special to completely let you create swarms and roaming pokes. Here is a snippet from his guide:

Special 0x56 – Swarm-roaming Pokémon changer

Receives Arguments? YES.
Variable 0x8004 has a long key:
0 to 0x3fff: faced as pokemon number
0x4000-> 0x8015: faced as pokemon number IN the variable stored in 0x8004
0x8000-> 0xfffc: not defined
0xfffd-> specific pokemon stored at a pointer kept in two variables, 0x8008 0x8009. I already explained how that worked before
0xfffe-> specific pokemon stored at a pointer, that must be placed by hand in 0x0203f488
0xffff-> specific pokemon stored at the LoadPointer location
-----------------------
Variable 0x8005 has the chances of appearance
Those chances are calculated by number of pokémon in 65536 encounters
0x0 means as rare as a shiny
0x7fff is 50% chance
0xffff means always. No chance of non-appearance
-------------------------
Variable 0x8006 is the quantity
0x1 means the pokémon will only appear once, 0x2 two times… until 255 appearences(0xff)
0x0 means unlimited appearances. Recommended for Swarm-like events
-------------------------
Variable 0x8007 lower half is the location, and the upper half is the level the pokémon is found in. Used to avoid "underwater Charizard"-like scenarios.
First 4 bits of the word are the location values. 0x0 does the same as 0xf, that is, the pokémon is found anywhere you want.
Bit 0 = grass
Bit 1 = surfing
Bit 2 = tree\rock-smash
Bit 3 = fishing
So 0x9 (1001b) would mean that the pokémon is found on grass and by fishing
The upper half is the level of a roaming pokémon. For instance, if you want a lv. 80 pokémon in the wild grass only, use setvar 0x8007 0x5001
Returns values? No

All of those make anyone be put off by this code, but don't be. This code is one of the most useful in this entire hack. Basically, it lets you create two types of events that everyone missed in Fire Red: Swarms and Roaming Legendaries.
I know the Legendary dogs roamed Kanto, but I didn't know how so I made up my version. Basically, this code replaces one normal wild pokémon and places on its stead one we really want to appear. You can only replace the level for Roaming codes, that is, only for the ones in that 0x8006 = 1. For swarms, however, you cannot. That is the pokémon there will always be at the area's level. But the level problem can be solved easily with something I will talk at the bottom.
You might have noticed that the variable 0x8004 key has something interesting near the bottom: The ability to load predefined pokémon. They must be at a full 100 bytes, but that way you can fight specific pokémon you pre-selected, just like Pal-park on the DS versions. That opens the window for a number of possibilities, such as having to bring a specific pokémon to someone, like a runaway pokémon, complete with that NPC's OTID and Name.
Also 0xfffe makes you input the pokémon by hand. If you never used this code before, most likely you will be surprised by a very well trained ?????????. Use, as always, writebytetooffset to prevent that disaster.

Special 0x57 – Swarm-roam Pokémon canceller

Receives Arguments? No.

Returns values? No

Cleans all, including the pokémon.

Now, if you just want these parts of his engine, and not the rest, download v1.1 from the end of this thread. In it, there will be a patch, and a program. The program is what you need. It is in folder "Hack Tool". This program will allow you to apply each of his hacks individually, so just check the boxes you want, click apply, and then click save and it will ask you where to save the new rom. Remember, he also included a .doc file that serves as a guide to every hack he made, and then some. I learned a lot about hacking just from reading it, nevermind how to use his engine specifically.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Find the name of the ??? Type and change it. Then use a program that edits the type effectiveness. I did it manually, but there may be a tool that does it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back