Sixth Generation The Kalos region awaits! Explore the first 3D Pokémon region while putting a stop to Team Flare. Then, revisit the Hoenn region with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire!

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old August 6th, 2013 (2:40 AM).
toxictwinkie's Avatar
toxictwinkie toxictwinkie is offline
Mini moose will rule you all
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Gender:
    Posts: 108
    Ok, basically I am pre-ordering Pokemon X from EB Games as I live in Australian, but I don't know whether I should pre-order Pokemon Y from Play-Asia and hope that it comes like a day or two early and play on my NTSC 3DS Pikachu Edition. However if I do choose to get the American Pokemon Y from Play-asia, would that version have issue/problems with with pokemon events in Australia? Like exclusive event pokemon, ect?

    Thanks guys
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old August 6th, 2013 (2:57 AM).
    Therizinosaurus's Avatar
    Therizinosaurus Therizinosaurus is offline
       
      Join Date: Oct 2012
      Location: Australia
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 57
      I would think that its fine, but isnt the release date the same all over the world? so wouldn't it be quicker to get it from eb games, rather than wait for postage?

      besides, we hardly get any events here anyway
      __________________
      my post to your liking?
      Pokémon Y : 1864-8444-3175
      Friend Safari: Tangela, Petilil, and gogoat
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old August 6th, 2013 (3:03 AM).
      toxictwinkie's Avatar
      toxictwinkie toxictwinkie is offline
      Mini moose will rule you all
         
        Join Date: Jul 2006
        Gender:
        Posts: 108
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Therizinosaurus View Post
        I would think that its fine, but isnt the release date the same all over the world? so wouldn't it be quicker to get it from eb games, rather than wait for postage?

        besides, we hardly get any events here anyway
        I agree with you right there. I am already getting pokemon X anyway from EB Games, definitely. However I just thought I may take my chances with Pokemon Y from Play-Asia and see if it does come a little early, but I wanted to make sure it will have no issues in PAL territories.
        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old August 6th, 2013 (12:16 PM).
        tnfsf11
        Guest
           
          Posts: n/a
          From what I've heard on the net, the 3DS & its games are region coded, either JP, EU or US.
          If you got your 3DS from Australia then it's very likely the EU version, which may have PAL written on it, so make sure the games you're getting are European from the purchase site.
          Concerning pre-ordering, it hasn't been revealed yet if there will be any pre-order bonus aside from the CoroCoro figurines accessible to the magazine's readers, so why not wait a little more to find out if there will ever be pre-order bonus for everyone else?
          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old August 6th, 2013 (7:13 PM).
          Ammako's Avatar
          Ammako Ammako is offline
          :3
          • Gold Tier
           
          Join Date: Feb 2008
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Gentle
          Posts: 703
          X and Y will be region-free, because the cartridges for every different region will all contain the exact same rom, byte for byte.



          They write the same rom to the cartridges for the different regions, then when the player starts it up you can choose the language (Unknown if we will be able to change the language again afterwards.)

          They need to have the game work on every region 3DS, so they are making it region-free.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #6    
          Old August 6th, 2013 (8:10 PM).
          Xander Olivieri's Avatar
          Xander Olivieri Xander Olivieri is offline
             
            Join Date: Jun 2010
            Gender: Other
            Nature: Hasty
            Posts: 5,601
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Pingouin7 View Post
            X and Y will be region-free, because the cartridges for every different region will all contain the exact same rom, byte for byte.



            They write the same rom to the cartridges for the different regions, then when the player starts it up you can choose the language (Unknown if we will be able to change the language again afterwards.)

            They need to have the game work on every region 3DS, so they are making it region-free.
            Language selection doesn't mean that its not region locked. All current Nintendo games are region locked. X and Y haven't been said to be any different. The lock is built into the System iirc so the games have to match proper coding to be able to be read by that region's system.

            Searching web, all answers come up the same, yes they are still region locked. Nintendo, The Pokemon Company, and Gamefreak have not made any official statements, but the 3DS itself is what has the lock built in. So a Japanese Game Cartridge should not work on a US System, same with a PAL system and a US game. or a Japanese system with a PAL game.
            Reply With Quote
              #7    
            Old August 6th, 2013 (8:51 PM).
            Aeroblast's Avatar
            Aeroblast Aeroblast is offline
            • Platinum Tier
             
            Join Date: Jul 2013
            Location: Basement
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 4,211
            American game cartridges are incompatible with PAL 3DS, because of region locking, which happens to be one of the worst ideas ever conceived and implemented in gaming industry.
            Reply With Quote
              #8    
            Old August 6th, 2013 (9:32 PM).
            Cerberus87's Avatar
            Cerberus87 Cerberus87 is offline
            Mega Houndoom, baby!
               
              Join Date: Jul 2012
              Location: Dream World
              Age: 30
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Lonely
              Posts: 1,671
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
              American game cartridges are incompatible with PAL 3DS, because of region locking, which happens to be one of the worst ideas ever conceived and implemented in gaming industry.
              It's an anti-piracy thing, I believe. I don't care much anymore, though, as I'm in the region where I can get the American releases easily and I won't play games in Japanese.
              __________________


              Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
              Reply With Quote
                #9    
              Old August 6th, 2013 (10:15 PM).
              Ammako's Avatar
              Ammako Ammako is offline
              :3
              • Gold Tier
               
              Join Date: Feb 2008
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Gentle
              Posts: 703
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
              All current Nintendo games are region locked.
              False. The English versions of B/W/B2/W2 feature no region lock. And before you point out "Those are DS games! DS games don't have region lock!", they are DSi-enhanced games and DSi-enhanced games usually feature region lock when played in a DSi/3DS.

              It is possible to set the region in the rom itself. Take a look at your nearest B/W/B2/W2 cartridge, if you will.
              My White 2 says TWL-IDRO-USA. The O means it's Region-free. Similarly, my White version says TWL-IRAO-USA.

              The reason why the English versions are Region-free is because they wanted to save time by having the UK versions and the US versions identical, meaning they have the exact same rom inside them.
              They had to make it region-free so that it would work on both NA and EU systems.

              Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6phoub5_c
              English White version, Japanese 3DS.

              Now try playing a Japanese version of the Gen V games on a non-Japanese 3DS. Won't work because the cartridge is region-locked to Japan.


              As I was saying, they have the language selection screen because they are actually using the exact same rom to release the game everywhere at the same time.
              Reply With Quote
                #10    
              Old August 7th, 2013 (9:42 AM).
              Xander Olivieri's Avatar
              Xander Olivieri Xander Olivieri is offline
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2010
                Gender: Other
                Nature: Hasty
                Posts: 5,601
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Pingouin7 View Post
                False. The English versions of B/W/B2/W2 feature no region lock. And before you point out "Those are DS games! DS games don't have region lock!", they are DSi-enhanced games and DSi-enhanced games usually feature region lock when played in a DSi/3DS.

                It is possible to set the region in the rom itself. Take a look at your nearest B/W/B2/W2 cartridge, if you will.
                My White 2 says TWL-IDRO-USA. The O means it's Region-free. Similarly, my White version says TWL-IRAO-USA.

                The reason why the English versions are Region-free is because they wanted to save time by having the UK versions and the US versions identical, meaning they have the exact same rom inside them.
                They had to make it region-free so that it would work on both NA and EU systems.

                Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6phoub5_c
                English White version, Japanese 3DS.


                Now try playing a Japanese version of the Gen V games on a non-Japanese 3DS. Won't work because the cartridge is region-locked to Japan.


                As I was saying, they have the language selection screen because they are actually using the exact same rom to release the game everywhere at the same time.

                All of the Gen 5 games are region locked. I don't know what kinda info you are getting but you are wrong.

                An Email from Play-asia

                Quote:
                “We got the first units of Pokemon Black / White in and confirmed, that the games are indeed region-locked on Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL consoles.



                Please understand that we are not able to accept returns due to region lock issues. We are sending you this email to keep you informed and to ask you to make a decision based on this information.



                First off, if you have a Nintendo DS or DS Lite Console from any region then there is no problem.



                However, if you have a Non-Japanese DSi / DSi XL console then the title doesn’t not work at all on your console. The console simply will say: ‘no game cartridge’.”


                Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/17/pokemon-black-white-are-region-locked-on-nintendo-dsi/#G7eU5122YoP7zBwp.99
                The only systems that aren't region locked are DS's IIRC. DSi and 3DS both have region locked coding in them. All Gen 5 games have been confrimed by parent companies and distributors to be region locked. All 3DS games are region locked.

                Also my copies of Gen 5 games don't work on my friend's Japanese imported 3DS. Mine say TWL-IRAO-USA, TWL-IRBO-USA, TWL-IREO-USA, and TWL-IRDO-USA. The games don't even appear on his screen at all.
                Reply With Quote
                  #11    
                Old August 7th, 2013 (10:43 AM).
                Aeroblast's Avatar
                Aeroblast Aeroblast is offline
                • Platinum Tier
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2013
                Location: Basement
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 4,211
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                It's an anti-piracy thing, I believe.
                The irony of that argument is, region locking is a good incentive for hackers to hack the consoles so they can play any game they want in their 3DS regardless of the region.

                Though many aren't in the demograpics of travelling out of country often, for those who are, they're severely affected by the crippling policy.
                Reply With Quote
                  #12    
                Old August 7th, 2013 (11:10 AM). Edited August 7th, 2013 by Ammako.
                Ammako's Avatar
                Ammako Ammako is offline
                :3
                • Gold Tier
                 
                Join Date: Feb 2008
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Gentle
                Posts: 703
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
                All of the Gen 5 games are region locked. I don't know what kinda info you are getting but you are wrong.
                Did you even bother watching the video I linked you to? It clearly proves the English versions are not region locked because it clearly shows the person playing an English version of White on what is clearly a Japanese 3DS.
                The games not appearing on the menu screen simply means there is a contact issue between the system and the cartridge; I can rarely get my Diamond version and my Platinum version to show up on my 3DS, doesn't mean they are blocked by the system.

                Furthermore, said e-mail you received was from Play-Asia, not Game Freak/Nintendo. For one, they aren't the ones who made the game, and secondly, it is possible they just tested the Japanese versions and then assumed every other languages were the same.
                Additionally, even if you directly asked Nintendo about this, it would be likely they would deny the English versions being region-free.

                In case you missed the video, I'll link it back to you.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6phoub5_c
                Reply With Quote
                  #13    
                Old August 7th, 2013 (11:36 AM).
                Xander Olivieri's Avatar
                Xander Olivieri Xander Olivieri is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2010
                  Gender: Other
                  Nature: Hasty
                  Posts: 5,601
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Pingouin7 View Post
                  Did you even bother watching the video I linked you to? It clearly proves the English versions are not region locked because it clearly shows the person playing an English version of White on what is clearly a Japanese 3DS.
                  The games not appearing on the menu screen simply means there is a contact issue between the system and the cartridge; I can rarely get my Diamond version and my Platinum version to show up on my 3DS, doesn't mean they are blocked by the system.

                  Furthermore, said e-mail you received was from Play-Asia, not Nintendo. It is also possible they just tested the Japanese versions and then assumed the English versions were the same.
                  Additionally, even if you directly asked Nintendo about this, it would be likely they would deny the English versions being region-free.

                  In case you missed the video, I'll link it back to you.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6phoub5_c
                  Did you bother to read what was said? I HAVE ACCESS TO A JAPANESE 3DS. MY ENGLISH COPY GEN 5 GAMES DO NOT WORK ON SAID 3DS. I posted my 4 IDs on here for my 4 Gen 5 games. One of each, Black, White, Black 2, and White 2. NONE of the four work on a Japanese 3DS. And yes the game not showing up IS how you tell if the game is being read or not. If the game system cannot read the cartridge it will show it as blank despite it being in there.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #14    
                  Old August 7th, 2013 (11:49 AM).
                  Ammako's Avatar
                  Ammako Ammako is offline
                  :3
                  • Gold Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Feb 2008
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Gentle
                  Posts: 703
                  Yes, I did read your post. But I chose to believe the video that clearly shows the person is playing the English versions on a Japanese system over the words of a person on an internet forum. There is nothing more I can add as I have already said everything I had to say. You can choose to ignore everything or you can choose to take in account what I am saying, but in the end, it is up to you.
                  And with that, I bid you au-revoir, because this has gone on for too long.
                  __________________
                  Reply With Quote
                    #15    
                  Old August 7th, 2013 (12:02 PM).
                  Xander Olivieri's Avatar
                  Xander Olivieri Xander Olivieri is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Jun 2010
                    Gender: Other
                    Nature: Hasty
                    Posts: 5,601
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Pingouin7 View Post
                    Yes, I did read your post. But I chose to believe the video that clearly shows the person is playing the English versions on a Japanese system over the words of a person on an internet forum. There is nothing more I can add as I have already said everything I had to say. You can choose to ignore everything or you can choose to take in account what I am saying, but in the end, it is up to you.
                    And with that, I bid you au-revoir, because this has gone on for too long.
                    They also had some kid on here posting videos that said you could trade between Gens 2 and 3. He had youtube videos posted, never watched them either because like with this I know what I've experienced and the answer is still no. Youtube isn't a source, its easily manipulated just like Wikipedia. You can change the face plates of an English 3DS to that of a Japanese one so it looks like a Japanese 3DS. You can even change the language on the 3DS to be in Japanese. There are many ways to fake a video and there are many fake videos all over youtube.
                    Reply With Quote
                      #16    
                    Old August 9th, 2013 (12:35 AM).
                    toxictwinkie's Avatar
                    toxictwinkie toxictwinkie is offline
                    Mini moose will rule you all
                       
                      Join Date: Jul 2006
                      Gender:
                      Posts: 108
                      Oh god what have I started. Would you guys mind if I delete this thread? block? Its getting out of hand.

                      Also, I got my pikachu 3DS XL NA version and a PAL 3DS. I already pre-ordered pokemon X at Ebgames, so I am still deciding to import pokemon Y from (NTSC) from Play-Asia to play on my new NA Pikachu 3DS XL C:. Though I think I might be consistent and get the PAL Y also...but...would love to play on my new handheld. God I hate region locked consoles with a passion.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #17    
                      Old August 9th, 2013 (11:34 AM).
                      MrGriszell's Avatar
                      MrGriszell MrGriszell is offline
                      Madara
                         
                        Join Date: Jun 2010
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 869
                        Xander when you said all gen 5 games were region locked, were you just talking about on a 3ds? I'm a little confused because you were able to play japanese games on an American DS . I'm pretty sure that I'm missunderstanding you guys .

                        I'm actually surprised the games are region locked since you can choose your language. I understand
                        Reply With Quote
                          #18    
                        Old August 9th, 2013 (9:42 PM).
                        Xander Olivieri's Avatar
                        Xander Olivieri Xander Olivieri is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Jun 2010
                          Gender: Other
                          Nature: Hasty
                          Posts: 5,601
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by MrGriszell View Post
                          Xander when you said all gen 5 games were region locked, were you just talking about on a 3ds? I'm a little confused because you were able to play japanese games on an American DS . I'm pretty sure that I'm missunderstanding you guys .

                          I'm actually surprised the games are region locked since you can choose your language. I understand
                          The systems are what have the bulk lock coding in them. I think there is a lock program in the systems and the games have a key program. (I'm trying to explain it as simple as I can for someone else reading...I don't think there really is something called a key program). So when you put a game that isn't supposed to work on a foriegn system its the same as putting a key into a lock that it doesn't belong. The key won't unlock the lock.

                          I have an original DS which is American yes, but the DS doesn't have a Region Lock on it. B/W/B2/W2 are all DSi enhanced so they have the code that would lock them if played on a DSi or 3DS that was not native to that region. No I cannot play my Gen 5 games on my friend's Japanese 3DS. He can't play his games on my 3DS....cause they are all Japanese. We've tried.


                          But Region Locking is only on DSi and 3DS. A DS and DS lite aren't region locked.
                          __________________
                          Reply With Quote
                          Reply

                          Quick Reply

                          Join the conversation!

                          Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                          Create a PokéCommunity Account

                          Sponsored Links
                          Thread Tools

                          Posting Rules
                          You may not post new threads
                          You may not post replies
                          You may not post attachments
                          You may not edit your posts

                          BB code is On
                          Smilies are On
                          [IMG] code is On
                          HTML code is Off

                          Forum Jump


                          All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:20 AM.