• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Discussion] Some tips to save space on mapping

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Hiya, I figure since some threads like how to improve on mapping were around I'd ask and open a discussion on how you can save map space with the limit of 999 maps in RMXP.

I was thinking with Pokémon centers, you could have them on the same map, with enough space inbetween each one, and put a comment next to each center telling you which it is. You could effectively do this with Pokémarts too. Imagine, if you have 15 towns, this could save you 14 maps.

I suppose it could lag, but Essentials Anti-lag would work perfectly for this (since it doesn't load events that are not in the vicinity of the screen), and it doesn't have to be one map for all of them. You could disperse it across 3 maps and still save room. This is also assuming all map names are "Pokémon Center."

What do you think and what do you do to save map space?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
The problem against putting all the Poké Centres in the same map is that a map takes up a particular square on the Town Map. If you look at it, you're going to see the player's head in the wrong place.

This tactic might work for all generic houses in a city, though. The example maps in Essentials have much more specific names than the official games' maps do, e.g. "Cedolan City Condo" rather than just another "Cedolan City".

There's also the possibility of a disk changer script, so you can switch between different sets of 999 maps (and thus have no limit on them). This would require changes to metadata and so forth to make the script fully compatible with Essentials, though. Maps in different disks couldn't be connected, but that wouldn't be a problem.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Totally forgot about flight positions. Still, I tend to put elevators on the same map as a department store, for example. It saves a map and works fine, as long as it's out of sight.

Back