• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Child's game?

Years
There is someone who I hang out with that says pokemon games are for children and that me playing them shows that I am still immature. But I told him of all the more technical and advanced aspects of the gam and asked him how he explains that a young kid could figure that out. I obviously disagree with him. I am guessing that you guys will (for the most part) disagree, but what are your opinions on this?

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Well, for me, Pokémon games are that one thing than can be played even if you don't understand the mechanics of it, so yes, I would consider them games for children. As for your friend, he is kind of wrong, Pokémon games actually have so much randomness and so much behind-the-scenes calculation that playing them does not make you immature. In my opinion, it is actually the exact opposite if you play them right (using super effective moves, using STAB moves, balancing your team, etc.) because thinking how to do something properly is definitely not easy sometimes and not every child can figure it out.

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
Doesn't matter what other people think.
Unless you enjoy the game. I would say that it's a Child's game.
Either way, I enjoyed playing it since I was a kid, until now.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Yes, I think they are games for children. But I wouldn't say a kid under the age of 10 or so can fully appreciate and understand pokémon, neither in plot nor strategy. So when I say "for children" I mostly mean older than that. Then again, there are a lot of games aimed mainly at kids that are played by adults as well. So it doesn't matter imo! You play what you want to play and you watch what you want to watch, like Disney movies are aimed towards children but adults can still watch them without it being strange. So anyone can play pokémon, even though it's mostly aimed towards "children".

Altair1

Willpower
Years
They definitely are for children but that doesn't mean in it can't be enjoyed by adults...
I think it's immature to make calls like that, judging our character just because we play a certain game.

My brother always keeps saying how he doesn't understand how I still play Pokemon. His fiance's words ''You still play Pokemon?! What are you like 10?!'' haha! I found it funny she said 10 since it's the age when you get your Pokemon license.

Nakala Pri

The best thing about Pokemon is it is both! Ages eight to eighty can enjoy this masterpiece! No doubt the best series of games ever made, in my opinion. ^^

Years
I think Pokemon is not just a kids game, but a game anyone can enjoy. I'm 20 and I often get mocked for still playing Pokemon games. And then again I mostly see boys playing the games rather than girls, but PC has shown me that you are never too old for Pokemon, and I saw more female players than I thought. The franchise has been my first real love and I never plan to leave it anytime soon.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
It's definitely a universal thing if you ask me: As Gym Leader Rozu said, anyone from 8 to 80 really can enjoy them - the gameplay has a simplicity that children can understand, but a complexity that keeps the more serious of us interested.

I think it misconception of "It's a game for children" comes from the anime, which I would think is far more directed to a younger audience than the games (though I know someone's going to disagree with me here :P ). Most uninformed people do call the anime a "cartoon" after all, and most cartoons are directed at children.

Years
So many kids play "complex" and "mature" games like Call of Duty. No one can judge what games you like. They may be made for children, but I think if they let you buy it its ok. Everyone likes different games, don't let it bother you.

Years
Pokémon games are meant for children and can be played by children, but nowhere is it implied that the games are only for children. Look at all the members here who are in their twenties and still play the games. That should be enough consensus right there to show that there are several adults (including myself) who still play Pokémon and have a deep passion for it.

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
Years
It's definitely a universal thing if you ask me: As Gym Leader Rozu said, anyone from 8 to 80 really can enjoy them - the gameplay has a simplicity that children can understand, but a complexity that keeps the more serious of us interested.

I think it misconception of "It's a game for children" comes from the anime, which I would think is far more directed to a younger audience than the games (though I know someone's going to disagree with me here :P ). Most uninformed people do call the anime a "cartoon" after all, and most cartoons are directed at children.

Right! The genius behind the Pokemon franchise is that every single age group can play the game which is why it makes so much money. It's simple enough for even a child to play and enjoy,but it also has mechanics and other things(such as battling with other people) that appeals to the older audience and to a more strategic mind. I'm much better now than I was when I got my first gen game back in the 90's, heck yeah. Pokemon is so complex and everyone can have their own individual story, which is why it's so fun you can do almost anything in Pokemon. :)

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
According to the ESRB, Pokemon games are reated E, meaning for everyone. That said, Pokemon is a franchise that can be enjoyed by all age groups. Any sort of Pokemon event, be it for gaming, cards, or otherwise is bound to be attented by children and adults alike, all sharing the same interest. And I think that's the beauty of the series.

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
There are so many games out there that are made so that people of all ages can enjoy them. Really, that's what video games were to begin with! Games like Pacman & Tetris weren't made for ~children nor were they made for adults. They were made for everyone.

I think the fact that there are a lot of violent games now has made the concept of "adult" vs. "child" games more prominent, but that's really getting away from the spirit of video games, don't you think?

Years
I guess I should rephrase my statement. I agree that the games were made with children in mind. But with the type of people that I have seen playing the games recently, it is hard for me to call the kid's games. Most of the people I know that play these games are at least 14 or 15.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Originally? Yeah it was a kids game when it first came out but I believe I am right when I say, those kids who played it as a kid probably enjoyed it so much that they continue to play it now since the memories of the game from being a child are just as great as the memories you have of playing recent games.

Years
I guess I should rephrase my statement. I agree that the games were made with children in mind. But with the type of people that I have seen playing the games recently, it is hard for me to call the kid's games. Most of the people I know that play these games are at least 14 or 15.

Well I've read that the targeted audience is kids and in Japan mostly little/young kids play the games rather than teens and adults

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
It's funny to think that the Pokemon games, especially the original Japanese versions -- got some concepts that only adults could understand.

The adult-oriented Nugget Joke throughout the generations (Japanese exclusive),

The infamous Juggler's words that became meme,

Beauties and Swimmers (F) in Japanese GS versions for being slightly too sexy for a 'child's' game.

An athlete for giving you Protein in Nimbasa Court after defeat, if one reads his dialogue thoroughly, then you'll get his meaning.

A Nursery Aide for cross dressing, albeit exclusively in the original Japanese versions.

The complicated DNA subject being brought up by Cyrus in Pt, similarly in BW -- constantly bringing up the liberal subjects.

I'm sure there are a lot more that I have not listed. My main point is if these games were really exclusively intended for kids, then why would GF/Nintendo apply things that are quite adult-oriented(or even disturbing) for a kids games?

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
I hate the "You play Pokemon so you're immature" statement so much.

The only thing I have to say is:
Maturity isn't based on what someone likes. It is based on someone's capacity of understanding different situations, knowing when to act properly and always thinking before acting. And just because you're an adult doesn't mean you can't enjoy all kinds of things.

While kids are the franchise's target, I don't think its exclusive for kids. It may look like that from the outside, but there's tons of complex elements that a child could probably not understand.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Liberal subjects? You mean propaganda!!

...I wish. Would be quite funny if we were all being brainwashed, luckily I have a right-wing upbringing to counter it xD.

Personally I think Pokémon is the video game equivalent of the Simpsons - any age can enjoy it, and it'll go on forever too. I do think the amount I play has decreased with age...but that's more due to Assassin's Creed than not playing video games at all.

EDIT: First two lines aimed at Fiery Dash. Damn ninja.

Back