• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Ash Be Replaced?

Years
I haven't paid much attention to anime since Advanced Generation and only recently have I looked at some of the plots but here's my take on it.

At this point they're just milking Ash out of this series. Ash could've become a champion in the Sinnoh series but they had to put in a dumb script with a legendary hax0r. What's wrong with introducing new characters? This is an anime based on Pokemon, not Ash. Don't get me wrong, I liked Ash the first several seasons, but after a while it got quite stale for me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Ash should be replace after Gen VI .
And he need to be replace after achieving his goal .
There no poit of watching the Future Gen VII Pokemon Anime series if Ash still is the protagonist who haven't able to achieve his goal .

BourbonWhiskey

Pokemon Trainer Since 1998
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 2, 2017
With all honesty, Ash should be replaced not by a Trainer that will start his journey. No, that would be boring if that is just like that. Ash should be replaced with this kind of guy, in my opinion:

The renowned member of Team Rocket, Alexander Black, (Also known as Black Flame) is the Boss' best bet in all the missions other Team Rocket members cannot handle. He is the Adam's favorite. (Giovanni's son, Adam, now rules Team Rocket, years after his death) He is considered to be stronger than any other members and possibly evenly matched with the Executives Giovanni has handpicked in his time. He is famous among everyone in the Team and considered to be a great threat among them. Alexander is serious in his work and does every mission bestowed upon him without hesitation for he has great confidence with his Pokemon. He is famous for his powerful main Pokemon, Arcanine. His teammate, Felix, is the only person Alexander truly trusts. He controls a Feraligatr as his main. The two have been close friends ever since they started training as a grunt. They built a friendship solid as rock that their Pokemon fights as one on the battlefield.

The evil inside Alexander starts to grow weak when he witnessed Adam dismissing one of his grunts because of a failed mission. Adam confiscated the grunt's Pokemon and cast him into the cold and unforgiving sea. The grunt adores Alexander very much but Alexander was helpless when Adam punished the grunt. He did not rebuked his Boss because he could not. He simply could not.

When the time came and Adam wanted to make Alexander a right hand Executive, Alexander refused and tried his very best to escape. But he was captured and his Arcanine was confiscated by Giovanni, he was thrown into the waters,beaten by the executives, and even Felix could not do anything to help his best friend.

After this, the story will start. Alexander will wake up without his memories and will go on a journey in order for him to know who he really is. (An old fisherman will find him, he will be the MOM's (Grandmother's) husband. He will be given a chance by the new life given to him. He will be haunted by his past through remembering small bits of his memories as the story goes and Felix would be one of his rivals because Team Rocket will soon know that Alexander survived. He will, of course, eventually discover his true identity but will fight his past and make something new out of his life.

Yes, I would love my character Alexander Black to replace Ash Ketchum. Why? Black is my character.

pridekitty

A Kitty
Years
I don't think Ash should be replaced. Sure, he's not a very good protagonist, and he's WAY too cheerful when he catches a pokemon, but he's been the main character since the beginning. Instead of replacing him, they should just make him better.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
Why replace Ash? He connects with younger fans. Which is a good thing because the anime is a children's program i think thats what you guys forget. Besides. Ash has encountered every(?) legendary as far. So why kill him off? He's been there since the very beginning. If it isn't broke. Don't fix it.

& THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY 'BOUT THAT
That's+All+I+Have+to+Say+About+That.jpg

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2013
A bit late to the thread but after reading the first couple pages we all know Ash is going nowhere. He has stayed ten/eleven for years and will likely for years to come because making him a dynamic aging character would make him irrelevant. Even if he were to be replaced as mentioned before older fans would be let down and the concept of Ash would be lost to the newer generations confusing people on prior lore. When I was a kid the show was great but the show didn't change like regular animes that I enjoyed did.
Ash didn't develop and I guess a lot of us outgrew the show.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019

Beyblade changed protagonists, Yu-Gi-Oh changed protagonists, Bakugan changed protagonists... Etc.
1) Those changes made newer anime more crappier.
2) Those anime are nowhere Pokemon's episode counter.
3) Those anime have nowhere near the amount of fans.

Now let's take the second perspective which Pokemon follow.
Bleach, Fairy Tail, Naruto, One Piece.
Only these anime have the episode counter at least closer to Pokemon's one and they did not change protagonists while still staying at the top of all rankings.
Pokemon follow the long-running shounen perspective with party changes.
We won't see any change in cast for a long time.

Accept They were never popular then Pokemon !
Plus Those Anime weren't a match for DP Series But They are much better then BW Series ! Specially the current episode's.
Plus , Those Anime lose Audience because Older fan stop watching them But Pokemon aren't aiming for Older fans ! Aren't they ?
Plus, Digimon toy sales rise when Digimon Xros war hit the TV and Digimon Fusion was nominated for Emmy Award .
Both series had a changed Protagonist .
Kamen Rider popular too despite changing Protagonist .

Plus , One Piece , Fairy Tail And Bleach doesn't repeat the same story Over & Over like Pokemon . Protagonist of Those Anime get stronger & keep their development And Doesn't reboot like Ash.

Also , Those Anime has great Humor ! However , Humor in Pokemon died with Takeshi Shudo.
Even if The Current writer trying to create Hilarious moment , they are no match for Original series . Instate they made the show annoying .
PLUS , THOSE ANIME ARE HEADING TOWARD AN ENDING !
They aren't popular because they kept the same Protagonist .

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
It would be better to change the hero sometime.
Maybe lots of people will get mad when they change the hero?

Lot of older fan will !
Specially If they replace Ash without making him a Pokemon Champion Master !
But most older fan might be fine if Ash is replace after he achieve his goal .
Plus , Aren't Pokemon aiming for Younger Fan ????
So , Why a newer & Older fan will be bother by Ash's replacement ?

I finally came up with something.

Yugioh also replaced the main character and you saw what happen to the old fan base. It was cut in more than half. However, the pokemon anime has already lost more than half of the old anime fans and would lose a good chunk of the remaining old fan base if Ash was replaced.

Even though I probably would still watch it without Ash, I don't think it would be a good idea. Unless they went to the manga base, but it would be considered too dark.

Well , Precure change its protagonist in every series but its still doing well !!!
Also , ''Digimon Xros War'' run very well despite the new protagonist and it squeal ''Digimon fusion'' was nominated for Emmy award despite a new protagonist .
Plus , If writer really unsure then,
Writer can bring Ash back as a referring character who's now a legendary Pokemon Master exploring the world to search for a stronger opponent to Battle !!!

Last edited:
Back