• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen [GREEN]The ugliest sprites

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
PokemonGreenSheet2_zpsab4ab5fd.gif
all the way. Nothing is more vile, disgusting, repugnant and reeking of derping nightmare than
. Look at
once more. See? The very essence of
gets into your nerves, not to mention the creepy effects of looking at
for too long.
is by far the worst of them all, imo.

no srsly

Spoiler:

See what I did there? -^-

Years
I would say Golbat, from Red, if I could interject another game from Gen 1. The thing is horrifying if you see it in battle. The tongue... the horrible tongue....

Edit:

Isn't it adorable?
1365995771469.png

Last edited:

catroZ

Working...Don't bother me...
Years
BlueDew12(on EGC Forums) said:
OH MY GOD LOOK AT FARFETCH'D.
Spr_1g_083.png

"I am hurr for duh battlin' of duh pokuhmanz."
Can't stop laughing at it, thought I'll post it here.

As some sprites just look wrong, I've set an agelimit(check the note in the first post)

Last edited:
Years
A lot of them look pretty bad (especially that Exceggutor, dear lord) but what I find fascinating is that Green is a Japanese-only cartridge, so when you take that into account and you think about what Pokemon is supposed to be----monsters that are able to be tamed and used in battle----the ugly sprites make sense. They're very reminiscent of monsters from Japanese folklore and legends, which are not particularly beautiful or anatomically correct. I enjoy the redone/later gen sprites, too, but I'm fascinated by what must have been going through Japanese HQ's mind when they developed these. It's pretty cool to see the similarities between legends in Japanese culture and the original Pokemon sprites.

Years
Ekans' original sprite reminds me of some hybrid of a snake and a duck gone wrong, and I'm not the first and probably won't be the last person to see a Togekiss and a Doduo before realizing it's actually Hitmonchan.

Other than that, the sprites in Green weren't quite as bad as what I remembered them to be. Sure, most of the original Pokemon have had some cosmetic changes to them so they aren't as rough looking, but almost all of them are still recognizable right away.

Name

Moémon Master
Years
Oh wow, I'm so glad I didn't get Green as my first pokemon game, these horrid sprites probably would've made me never wanna play again.

Mew is pretty awful....
So is Charizard...
Gengar....

They all look like knock off pokemon :(

TheKurtzinator

Professional Derp/Trainer
Years
Exeggutor heads look bigger than his body.
Mew just looks like it was hit by a tractor-trailer and that is the mutilated result.
Farfetch'd is herp a derping
Charizard is on Crystal Meth, just look at those eyes
Snorlax has random stubs for arms
Eevee looks like it wants to kill everything
Ekans has a duck face (Like most girls these days)
Venusaur is Frogger after he got ran over with a Palm tree put on his back

Nuff said

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
Wow... just wow. I don't know that I've ever seen the sprites for Green!

Aside from Mew, I think the Charmander evolution line is pretty bad, and Machoke is hilarious looking.

There are some I like though -- I actually like Snorlax, and I think Jolteon looks pretty decent. Squirtle's evolution line definitely did the best out of the starters.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 19, 2016
Gloom looks like a stoner
Charizard looks like a rip off Dragonite
Ekans is a duck
The female Nidoran is blind
Polywrath looks like a bouncer at a night club
Machoke's legs are out of proportion
Machamp has a beak
Bellsprout is just... terrible
Gollem looks like it just won something
Farfetch'd looks like an army commander
Dewgong looks retarded
Ghastly looks like a MS Paint spray
Gengar looks like it has fur
Hypno looks like a paedophile
Exeggutor looks ill, stupid and suicidal at the same time
Hitmonchan couldn't show that it is a boxer anymore
What is with Scyther's teeth
Moltres looks like a chicken
And mew look like it has no arms.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
What about Wigglytuff? His eyes are nowhere close to being the same size. Chansey looks like she just got back from the hair dresser. She's got a brand new bob cut. Omastar's doing a dance and Doduo's doing the cancan. Mewtwo looks pretty cool though. I think they did the best with him.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 19, 2016
What I find weird is the fact that Golbat's sprite was OK in this game, however in the English versions of Blue and Red they completely messed up with it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
  • Venusaur's flower looks more like a windmill than a flower, swoosh Air Cutter!
  • What was wrong with Nidorina's nose, car crash?
  • Wigglytuff reminds me of Grimace from McDonald's... lol
    some_pokemon_green_sprites_fanart_by_donadonadona-d680diz.jpg
    grimace.jpg

Pokemon Green sprites art drawing by: donadonadona@deviantArt
  • Lickitung reminds me those hideous looking monsters from Dragon Quest....;-;

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 24, 2015
i thought all of the pokemon of Green where just as good as their red and blue cousins.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Hahaha I'mm cracking up at Geodude right now, idk why. Ghastly always looked kinda ugly in these games. But Magneton looks better in this game than RSE.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
But why were they this ugly?
Were they the original designs?
Or were they rushed?
Or having a bad spriter?

I know that GF were lacking of money at that time,
but sprite quality = /= budget.
Our hackers here in PC are even able to replace them with Gen II sprites.

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
Years
O____o

Okay, so mew is a given. But Wigglytuff just stares through your soul like some crazed maniac O_o

And I don't think I even need to bring Exeguttor's sprite in this post...we've all been scarred enough.

On a side note, what the heck did they do to Ekans? Poor snake :3

Back