Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old July 6th, 2013 (9:00 PM). Edited July 6th, 2013 by PsychoticMoonlight.
PsychoticMoonlight's Avatar
PsychoticMoonlight PsychoticMoonlight is offline
Beautiful Insanity
     
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Location: Hidden in the Trade Corner
    Age: 17
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Naughty
    Posts: 334

    -Topic Change-

    Which is your favorite Fire Emblem Title and why?

    I only played Awakening, so I just want to hear some commentary notes about why you play you version.

    __________________

    PsychoticMoonlight


    Trade Corner
    FC:
    3583-2872-5103
    Shop | Reviews

    The Writer
    Wattpad | Fictionpress
    Psychotic's Short Poetry

    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #27    
    Old July 6th, 2013 (9:08 PM).
    Callīope's Avatar
    Callīope Callīope is offline
    █ uranianUmbra
       
      Join Date: Jun 2012
      Location: Kansas, USA
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Quirky
      Posts: 51

      I'm mostly bad at strategy games, so I haven't bothered with any Fire Emblem games except Awakening. I only played it because some of my friends bugged me about it until I finally gave it a go. I think a big part of it was the characters and the relationship aspect, which I thought was hilarious and had to see it for myself. I played on Casual which is something that most FE games don't have. I would suck at them, to say the least. XD

      __________________


      - also Drew.

      paired to timaeusTestified

      this is how to be a heart breaker
      boys, they like a little danger.
      i la-la-la-la-love you. ❤
      [S] The Prince is Awake.
      tumblr || EGC || flavors.me

      Reply With Quote
        #28    
      Old July 7th, 2013 (10:47 AM).
      Marth Marth is offline

      ...

      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Feb 2013
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 2,527

      I haven't played too many Fire Emblem titles besides Awakening. I've tried some of the GBA titles but being me means being a perfectionist leading to a point where I want all units at first try and not losing one single unit and multiple retrys lead to simply losing interest.

      In the moment I'm trying Fire Emblem 2 (NES game). It looks pretty nice, but has some technical drawbacks (well, as I said it's a NES game xD).

      __________________


      Reply With Quote
        #29    
      Old July 7th, 2013 (11:16 AM).
      Cordelia Cordelia is offline
      Banned
         
        Join Date: Aug 2011
        Nature: Sassy
        Posts: 9,753

        I'm pretty interested in playing the GBA Fire Emblem games, but they're so dang hard to find ;-;

        Reply With Quote
          #30    
        Old July 7th, 2013 (11:34 AM).
        Sheep's Avatar
        Sheep Sheep is offline
        Puwa Puwa
        • Administrator
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Sep 2011
        Age: 26
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Bashful
        Posts: 21,641

        Awakening was my only FE title so of course it's my favorite. I loved the clean/sleek art style and the story was very engaging. Will probably buy all other FE games in the future, provided I have the system for it. :D;

        __________________


        . pair family twin mal lv llsif .

        Reply With Quote
          #31    
        Old July 19th, 2013 (6:28 PM).
        th3shark's Avatar
        th3shark th3shark is offline
        Develops in AS3/C++
           
          Join Date: Jul 2013
          Location: Connecticut
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Calm
          Posts: 79

          My first FE game was Radiant Dawn for the Wii. I played on easy, and it was kinda fun. FE :A just blows that game out of the water. I'm playing through on Classic/Hard right now, and it's the second most intense, challenging, and rewarding game I've ever played. First is Contra 4 (why has nobody played this game!?!?!?).

          Digressions aside, does anyone else miss the ability to push units? That was awesome!

          __________________

          Reply With Quote
            #32    
          Old July 19th, 2013 (6:36 PM).
          Sheep's Avatar
          Sheep Sheep is offline
          Puwa Puwa
          • Administrator
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Sep 2011
          Age: 26
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Bashful
          Posts: 21,641

          I've never played any other FE games so I don't know about pushing. ;_; But kudos to you for doing classic! I'd like to try that after my current hard casual run.

          Reply With Quote
            #33    
          Old July 26th, 2013 (7:17 PM).
          Eruption's Avatar
          Eruption Eruption is offline
          • Gold Tier
           
          Join Date: May 2006
          Location: North East England
          Age: 21
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 6,309

          I've been needing a new game on my 3DS for a while so I played the demo for this last night to see what it would be like. I enjoyed it (especially the 3D, I haven't played many games with 3D but this has been the best so far) so I'm wondering what the difficulty is like in the main game. I'm not used to the genre so if it's particularly difficult, I might struggle with the game if I buy it that's all. What would you players say about the difficulty?

          Reply With Quote
            #34    
          Old July 27th, 2013 (3:08 AM).
          Marth Marth is offline

          ...

          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Feb 2013
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 2,527

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
          I'm not used to the genre so if it's particularly difficult, I might struggle with the game if I buy it that's all. What would you players say about the difficulty?
          If you are new to this genre it shouldn't be much of a problem. This game is actually pretty easy and even if you have some problems you can easily level you characters a little bit. Leveling in this game is pretty easy and really fast.

          Reply With Quote
            #35    
          Old July 27th, 2013 (3:17 AM).
          Seth Rollins's Avatar
          Seth Rollins Seth Rollins is offline
          Holding on to You |-/
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Dec 2012
          Location: Nah
          Age: 16
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Brave
          Posts: 2,493

          I bought this game yesterday I thought it was a random game but ha, I was wrong. its just awesome. I love it. I like how you can create your own character. And the story is great. Still didnt beat it tho, but I'm looking forward to see how the storyline ends. The fighting system is great too, when you're close to your enemy you can attack and when he approaches you can defend...etc. So thats it I guess.

          __________________


          The Underground
          Come and play mafia with us! You are always welcome.

          Reply With Quote
            #36    
          Old July 27th, 2013 (12:36 PM). Edited July 27th, 2013 by Major Fullbuster.
          Major Fullbuster's Avatar
          Major Fullbuster Major Fullbuster is offline
          Generic Lurking Spriter
             
            Join Date: Apr 2013
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 4

            Ah, Awakening...Personally, it's not my favorite, (although it IS fun maxing everyone's stats and watching my friend's reaction when he attempts to fight my Streetpass team) since IMO the character's personalities were really exaggerated and there's absolutely no balance between characters, unlike other games in the series where some units will always suck. Shadow Dragon was by far the worst game in the series. The graphics were improved and all, and healing units gain EXP by healing, but otherwise, it was just a copy of the original. Awakening was still an really good game though, and it's definitely worth a play or two.

            Reply With Quote
              #37    
            Old July 28th, 2013 (10:21 PM). Edited July 28th, 2013 by shadowdueler474.
            shadowdueler474's Avatar
            shadowdueler474 shadowdueler474 is offline
            Muffins for all!
               
              Join Date: May 2012
              Age: 19
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 49

              My favorite Fire Emblem game is Path of Radiance. All around I also think it is objectively the best Fire Emblem game. The story was great such as with the entire subplot between Ike and the Black Knight and other stuff. The hard difficulty was challenging but never went to ******** difficulty (Like some chapters in Blazing Sword). The characters had their quirks but weren't as blown out of proportion as in Awakening. The stupid weight system that was in the GBA FE was finally dropped in this game which made female characters much more playable. All around I felt that it didn't do anything super spectacular (like with Radiant Dawn and the battle system, or like Awakening with the entertaining supports, Sacred Stones with the villain's) except I found the story to be really good, but it never crashed in any areas (Radiant Dawn with it's bad writing, Awakening with it's bad writing and already mediocre story, Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones and Sealed Sword with a lot of bland characters, Sacred Stones with it's easy as crap gameplay). So that's what lands it as my favorite. Also I like how Tormod and Muarim don't have like 8 chapters of availability in this game unlike in Radiant Dawn.

              __________________

              Reply With Quote
                #38    
              Old July 29th, 2013 (12:43 PM).
              Eruption's Avatar
              Eruption Eruption is offline
              • Gold Tier
               
              Join Date: May 2006
              Location: North East England
              Age: 21
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Relaxed
              Posts: 6,309

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by R.F. View Post
              If you are new to this genre it shouldn't be much of a problem. This game is actually pretty easy and even if you have some problems you can easily level you characters a little bit. Leveling in this game is pretty easy and really fast.

              That's very good to hear, I think I'll attempt to pick it up this week then. Really looking forward to the story.

              Reply With Quote
                #39    
              Old August 10th, 2013 (8:43 PM).
              SomariFeyWright's Avatar
              SomariFeyWright SomariFeyWright is offline
              Seven years is all it takes...
                 
                Join Date: Dec 2011
                Location: Wherever my fandoms take me~
                Age: 20
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 167

                A bit of a dead thread, but I digress.

                My favorite Fire Emblem game is Fire Emblem (7). Of all the games I've played thus far, it just got everything right. It had a very raw but fair difficulty that made it worth the time. Every character had their own personalities, and with only Awakening ahead of it (as far as I know), this game is the second-best at making them all likeable. Supports were annoying, of course, but still worth it to achieve, bevause they really fleshed out the characters. As well, the lords' character development was very strong and believeable, and every time the story threw a punch at the characters, it jabbed you too.

                Plus, it had Nino~

                __________________


                Signature made by Pandaprinzessin of Court Records.

                Reply With Quote
                  #40    
                Old August 23rd, 2013 (8:24 AM). Edited August 23rd, 2013 by Aeroblast.
                Aeroblast's Avatar
                Aeroblast Aeroblast is offline
                • Platinum Tier
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2013
                Location: Basement
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 4,211

                Shameless 11-day bump.

                Awakening is the only Fire Emblem games I have so far and played through half-way for the second time (I accidentally deleted my first save). After I finish awakening I might try Sacred Stones I have from ambassador.

                Spoiler:
                Chapter 10 got me twice emotionally, and that's saying something since I don't get moved easily, though I've yet to experience this kind of sadness in many games. Mustafa might be the first enemy boss that I really didn't want to kill... This music tops off the glory.

                Reply With Quote
                  #41    
                Old September 21st, 2013 (6:59 PM).
                Cerberus87's Avatar
                Cerberus87 Cerberus87 is offline
                Mega Houndoom, baby!
                   
                  Join Date: Jul 2012
                  Location: Dream World
                  Age: 30
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Lonely
                  Posts: 1,671

                  I know, it's an old thread, but it IS the Fire Emblem: Awakening thread, so...

                  Anyway, I just started playing this, and I'm hooked. Problem is, this is my first tactical RPG ever. When I bought the game I really thought it was going to be a hack 'n' slash game like Zelda, lol.

                  But anyway, do you recommend that I play at least one time on Normal difficulty? Because I tried that and it was relatively easy. Then I moved up to Hard and, well, let's say I'm not enjoying the fact peasantry enemies can do battle with my troops quite effectively. I'd expect less power from random mooks. So it meant I was too dependent on Frederick to score some early kills just to make me gain an upper hand.

                  Another reason why I want to try Normal again is that I'm doing it blind and therefore I don't know most of the features of the game. I heard you can make characters marry, and there are also lots of side stuff I want to know beforehand.

                  __________________

                  Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.

                  Reply With Quote
                    #42    
                  Old September 21st, 2013 (8:12 PM).
                  Dragon's Avatar
                  Dragon Dragon is offline
                  • Super Moderator
                  • Battle Server Staff
                  • Platinum Tier
                  • GTGet-Together Event Management
                  • Social Media
                  • PokéCommunity Daily
                   
                  Join Date: Sep 2013
                  Location: Viridian City
                  Age: 24
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Gentle
                  Posts: 9,338

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                  I know, it's an old thread, but it IS the Fire Emblem: Awakening thread, so...

                  Anyway, I just started playing this, and I'm hooked. Problem is, this is my first tactical RPG ever. When I bought the game I really thought it was going to be a hack 'n' slash game like Zelda, lol.

                  But anyway, do you recommend that I play at least one time on Normal difficulty? Because I tried that and it was relatively easy. Then I moved up to Hard and, well, let's say I'm not enjoying the fact peasantry enemies can do battle with my troops quite effectively. I'd expect less power from random mooks. So it meant I was too dependent on Frederick to score some early kills just to make me gain an upper hand.

                  Another reason why I want to try Normal again is that I'm doing it blind and therefore I don't know most of the features of the game. I heard you can make characters marry, and there are also lots of side stuff I want to know beforehand.

                  I would say so - it all depends on your preference, really. I tried Normal, but it was too easy for me, so, it was off to Hard for me. Hard mode is pretty tough around Chapters 1 ~ 6 because they do deal considerable amounts of damage if you're not careful. D: (including a bit where Frederick gets OHKO'd by a Warrior's hammer... yeah). You really do have to be careful and rely on Pair ups for Hard mode, until you get the option to grind a bit in the DLC pack, or from random Risen in the area. Thennnn you'll find that it's relatively easier. XD

                  And yes, you can marry characters if you have male & female support comparable characters that are ranked S in support. Sometimes it's better to marry certain characters for certain skills for their children - like, if you marry Sully & Gaius, you can get Kjelle who can be a Pegasus Knight and thus have Galeforce... I think. @_@

                  __________________

                  supercat | moirail | family | s-mod | twin | credit

                  Reply With Quote
                    #43    
                  Old September 22nd, 2013 (12:26 AM). Edited September 22nd, 2013 by Cerberus87.
                  Cerberus87's Avatar
                  Cerberus87 Cerberus87 is offline
                  Mega Houndoom, baby!
                     
                    Join Date: Jul 2012
                    Location: Dream World
                    Age: 30
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Lonely
                    Posts: 1,671

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by LGDArm View Post
                    I would say so - it all depends on your preference, really. I tried Normal, but it was too easy for me, so, it was off to Hard for me. Hard mode is pretty tough around Chapters 1 ~ 6 because they do deal considerable amounts of damage if you're not careful. D: (including a bit where Frederick gets OHKO'd by a Warrior's hammer... yeah). You really do have to be careful and rely on Pair ups for Hard mode, until you get the option to grind a bit in the DLC pack, or from random Risen in the area. Thennnn you'll find that it's relatively easier. XD

                    And yes, you can marry characters if you have male & female support comparable characters that are ranked S in support. Sometimes it's better to marry certain characters for certain skills for their children - like, if you marry Sully & Gaius, you can get Kjelle who can be a Pegasus Knight and thus have Galeforce... I think. @_@

                    Yeah I'm looking at the marriage possibilities and it's a very complex game, very interesting. I just wish I was a little better at it... Chapter 4 gave me lots of trouble and I only conquered it due to a lucky start where I used Frederick as a meatshield and he evaded a few hits, giving me more time to prepare.

                    I scrapped the first playthrough because Chrom and the MU were a bit underleveled, now I'm in a bit of a better situation. I haven't been using pairs much because I don't understand exactly how they work, for example if the unit that's leading the pair makes an action I probably can't switch to the other to make another action, which would be a bit broken because you'd be able to traverse the map twice.

                    Not planning on doing Lunatic any time soon, although I believe you don't even need to play on Classic to unlock Lunatic+.

                    Also I hate Chrom's English voice. He doesn't look any older than 20, and they give him the voice of a 40-year-old...

                    Reply With Quote
                      #44    
                    Old September 23rd, 2013 (2:16 AM).
                    InMooseWeTrust's Avatar
                    InMooseWeTrust InMooseWeTrust is offline
                    Jack of All Trades
                       
                      Join Date: Jul 2007
                      Location: Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA
                      Age: 25
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Careful
                      Posts: 814

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                      Yeah I'm looking at the marriage possibilities and it's a very complex game, very interesting. I just wish I was a little better at it... Chapter 4 gave me lots of trouble and I only conquered it due to a lucky start where I used Frederick as a meatshield and he evaded a few hits, giving me more time to prepare.

                      I scrapped the first playthrough because Chrom and the MU were a bit underleveled, now I'm in a bit of a better situation. I haven't been using pairs much because I don't understand exactly how they work, for example if the unit that's leading the pair makes an action I probably can't switch to the other to make another action, which would be a bit broken because you'd be able to traverse the map twice.

                      Not planning on doing Lunatic any time soon, although I believe you don't even need to play on Classic to unlock Lunatic+.

                      Also I hate Chrom's English voice. He doesn't look any older than 20, and they give him the voice of a 40-year-old...

                      You need to play Lunatic Classic to unlock Lunatic+. Playing Lunatic Casual unlocks only Lunatic+ Casual. I'm thinking of playing Lunatic Casual and then Lunatic+ Casual just because permadeath makes the game that much more tedious by making you constantly reset. I honestly just don't see the point of resetting 12 times per chapter (and on almost every Spotpass, Streetpass, and Risen) just because one character got axed.

                      Right now I'm playing on Hard Casual for easy grinding of extra characters. That includes a few Streetpass avatars, some female spotpasses that I really like, and the males with Galeforce (for obvious reasons). In my Lunatic+ run I'll sweep the game by buying these guys from the Avatar Logbook.

                      I married Nowi this time around because I want Morgan to be a Manakete and Nah to have Galeforce.

                      I only bought one DLC pack (Golden Pack) specifically to eliminate some grinding elements. I'm debating with myself right now whether or not to buy the pack with Dread Fighter/Bride. Olivia as an assassin with Galeforce is already deadly, so I wonder how much more terrifyingly overpowered she and a few other female characters can be.

                      __________________

                      Pokémon: Battles of the Past
                      Site Thread
                      Black2 FC: 5072 6059 9635

                      Reply With Quote
                        #45    
                      Old September 23rd, 2013 (12:14 PM).
                      Cerberus87's Avatar
                      Cerberus87 Cerberus87 is offline
                      Mega Houndoom, baby!
                         
                        Join Date: Jul 2012
                        Location: Dream World
                        Age: 30
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Lonely
                        Posts: 1,671

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by InMooseWeTrust View Post
                        You need to play Lunatic Classic to unlock Lunatic+. Playing Lunatic Casual unlocks only Lunatic+ Casual. I'm thinking of playing Lunatic Casual and then Lunatic+ Casual just because permadeath makes the game that much more tedious by making you constantly reset. I honestly just don't see the point of resetting 12 times per chapter (and on almost every Spotpass, Streetpass, and Risen) just because one character got axed.

                        Right now I'm playing on Hard Casual for easy grinding of extra characters. That includes a few Streetpass avatars, some female spotpasses that I really like, and the males with Galeforce (for obvious reasons). In my Lunatic+ run I'll sweep the game by buying these guys from the Avatar Logbook.

                        I married Nowi this time around because I want Morgan to be a Manakete and Nah to have Galeforce.

                        I only bought one DLC pack (Golden Pack) specifically to eliminate some grinding elements. I'm debating with myself right now whether or not to buy the pack with Dread Fighter/Bride. Olivia as an assassin with Galeforce is already deadly, so I wonder how much more terrifyingly overpowered she and a few other female characters can be.

                        I wish they hadn't named it "Casual" because it makes the game look like it's easier... Well it IS easier, but only in the sense that there's more room for mistakes. Most people restart if they lose a character in Classic anyway, so by playing Casual you're just spared of something tedious, as you said.

                        Reply With Quote
                          #46    
                        Old September 23rd, 2013 (12:38 PM).
                        Dragon's Avatar
                        Dragon Dragon is offline
                        • Super Moderator
                        • Battle Server Staff
                        • Platinum Tier
                        • GTGet-Together Event Management
                        • Social Media
                        • PokéCommunity Daily
                         
                        Join Date: Sep 2013
                        Location: Viridian City
                        Age: 24
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Gentle
                        Posts: 9,338

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                        I wish they hadn't named it "Casual" because it makes the game look like it's easier... Well it IS easier, but only in the sense that there's more room for mistakes. Most people restart if they lose a character in Classic anyway, so by playing Casual you're just spared of something tedious, as you said.

                        Yeah, anytime I have a character killed, I just restart the chapter anyway. xD I guess Casual mode is just a way to save some time on that front. ;~;

                        Reply With Quote
                          #47    
                        Old September 23rd, 2013 (1:40 PM). Edited September 23rd, 2013 by Spinosaurus.
                        Spinosaurus's Avatar
                        Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Apr 2009
                          Posts: 4,567

                          Casual doesn't just kill the tedium, it kills pretty much any strategy. Allowing a way bigger margin for error also allows for more careless planning because there's little risk in doing whatever you want.

                          People can complain about losing your units/restarting all they want, but that's the big feature that ensures player got to be careful and start playing smart. Want to avoid tedium/losing a character? Then start playing smart. The classic setting is pretty much an insurance for that, and it's the way the game is designed. Fire Emblem uses RPG stats and the fear of restarting/losing a unit for strategy, it's not like Advance Wars in which the strategy is based around units placement and difficulty. It's good game design and what sets it apart from other RPG and strategy games.

                          With casual, you pretty much get rid one of the two main things that make Fire Emblem. The other, the RPG stats aren't a problem now because of grinidng. Before you had to balance the experience you get so you have a balanced team of strong units. That's bad game design, which is something Awakening is filled with.

                          __________________


                          Twitter - Tumblr

                          Reply With Quote
                            #48    
                          Old September 23rd, 2013 (2:32 PM).
                          Cerberus87's Avatar
                          Cerberus87 Cerberus87 is offline
                          Mega Houndoom, baby!
                             
                            Join Date: Jul 2012
                            Location: Dream World
                            Age: 30
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Lonely
                            Posts: 1,671

                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
                            Casual doesn't just kill the tedium, it kills pretty much any strategy. Allowing a way bigger margin for error also allows for more careless planning because there's little risk in doing whatever you want.

                            People can complain about losing your units/restarting all they want, but that's the big feature that ensures player got to be careful and start playing smart. Want to avoid tedium/losing a character? Then start playing smart. The classic setting is pretty much an insurance for that, and it's the way the game is designed. Fire Emblem uses RPG stats and the fear of restarting/losing a unit for strategy, it's not like Advance Wars in which the strategy is based around units placement and difficulty. It's good game design and what sets it apart from other RPG and strategy games.

                            With casual, you pretty much get rid one of the two main things that make Fire Emblem. The other, the RPG stats aren't a problem now because of grinidng. Before you had to balance the experience you get so you have a balanced team of strong units. That's bad game design, which is something Awakening is filled with.

                            Hmmm, so would you say that chess doesn't have any strategy because it's a game where sacrifices are sometimes required in order to win? The pieces come back in the next match anyway.

                            From what I could gather, if you're going to restart the maps anyway, then permadeath just makes the game become a chore. A Nuzlocke run of a Pokémon game is basically the same thing as FE:A's Classic mode. It's actually more unfair since you may end with weak mons because of bad luck with each capture. The whole point of a Nuzlocke is to make you become attached to your mons and to add difficulty because they're gone for good when they faint. If you were allowed to reset when an enemy wipes you out due to a random crit or some other hax, what would be the point of Nuzlocking the game? You might as well just spare the trouble and use Revives and PC's when applicable. A 6-0 win in Pokémon is as valuable as a 1-0 win.

                            The bad game design surfaces when a feature doesn't work as intended. If most FE players (including you since you've admitted to it) will reset because they lost a unit (even a lowly unit), the feature is not working as intended because a loss is supposed to be felt and impact your gameplay severely. Resetting eliminates the impact of losses. The added difficulty of Classic mode isn't in losing the unit in the battle it dies, but in not having the unit in future battles (especially if it's a prized unit). If you advocated Classic mode just because of strategy, then they could've just made the game with only Casual mode and added bonuses if you beat a map without losing characters like so many other games do, and which I think is most reasonable (Pokémon Stadium for the N64 gave you a continue for every enemy you beat without losses, for example).

                            Finally, this is an RPG. Cheap crits, untimely counters and bad RNG rolls do exist. No playing smart will get around an unfortunate crit that forces you to restart. I think if they wanted to make it a truly hardcore experience, they would've added autosave after each turn on top of permadeath to drive off the "hardcore" players who reset and add some truth to that "every decision counts" they write below the Classic option.

                            Reply With Quote
                              #49    
                            Old September 23rd, 2013 (3:19 PM).
                            Spinosaurus's Avatar
                            Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Apr 2009
                              Posts: 4,567

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                              Hmmm, so would you say that chess doesn't have any strategy because it's a game where sacrifices are sometimes required in order to win? The pieces come back in the next match anyway.
                              Terrible analogy. Not even the same context.

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                              From what I could gather, if you're going to restart the maps anyway, then permadeath just makes the game become a chore.
                              To you maybe, but no one is forcing you to restart. No one is forcing anyone to restart. It's a choice.
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                              A Nuzlocke run of a Pokémon game is basically the same thing as FE:A's Classic mode. It's actually more unfair since you may end with weak mons because of bad luck with each capture. The whole point of a Nuzlocke is to make you become attached to your mons and to add difficulty because they're gone for good when they faint. If you were allowed to reset when an enemy wipes you out due to a random crit or some other hax, what would be the point of Nuzlocking the game? You might as well just spare the trouble and use Revives and PC's when applicable. A 6-0 win in Pokémon is as valuable as a 1-0 win.
                              Comparing two different things again. What are you on about? Fire Emblem isn't about getting attached to units at all, but losing a unit can be critical in situations.

                              If I wanted to do I could restart in Nuzlocke if a Pokemon I liked died, but it defeats the purpose. Doesn't it? You see where I'm getting at?

                              Plus in Fire Emblem, restarting allows the player to adapt to the situations and get used to enemy placements, their classes, map designs and pretty much everything pertaining to the series and using it to your advantage. Teaching by trial and error, basically. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can afford losing a unit. Good Fire Emblem players sacrifice units, actually.

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                              The bad game design surfaces when a feature doesn't work as intended. If most FE players (including you since you've admitted to it) will reset because they lost a unit (even a lowly unit)
                              Huh? Where? Where did I admit that?

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                              the feature is not working as intended because a loss is supposed to be felt and impact your gameplay severely. Resetting eliminates the impact of losses.
                              The added difficulty of Classic mode isn't in losing the unit in the battle it dies, but in not having the unit in future battles (especially if it's a prized unit). If you advocated Classic mode just because of strategy, then they could've just made the game with only Casual mode and added bonuses if you beat a map without losing characters like so many other games do, and which I think is most reasonable (Pokémon Stadium for the N64 gave you a continue for every enemy you beat without losses, for example).
                              Uh, nope. That's not Fire Emblem.
                              This is how the series is designed. This is how the fans of the series and the players like it. The games are supposed to be unforgivable, and it's not supposed to be for everyone. Or do you think competitive fighting games are stupid because all the moves are made with stick motions instead of just easier button pushing?

                              It's an annoyance to most in the first playthrough of a game, perhaps, but the series has the merit of being replayable. Subsequent playthroughs are all about long term strategy, and all this allows Fire Emblem to have this kind of unique replay value.

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                              Finally, this is an RPG. Cheap crits, untimely counters and bad RNG rolls do exist. No playing smart will get around an unfortunate crit that forces you to restart. I think if they wanted to make it a truly hardcore experience, they would've added autosave after each turn on top of permadeath to drive off the "hardcore" players who reset and add some truth to that "every decision counts" they write below the Classic option.
                              You can easily avoid that if you're used to way the game is designed. There's a counter for crits and misses, so you know what you're getting into. If you lost the gamble, it's your fault, not the game's. RNG is only a ***** when levelling up.

                              Fire Emblem always had a steep learning curve, but the series is highly rewarding if you stick with it because of that. All the features in the game, and "Classic" mode, is what allowed the series to have that merit. In an essence, the games are timeless because of it. Awakening is not, and will be looked back on rather negatively by strategy enthusiasts. (Already starting to kick in, actually...)

                              Reply With Quote
                                #50    
                              Old September 23rd, 2013 (5:03 PM).
                              Aeroblast's Avatar
                              Aeroblast Aeroblast is offline
                              • Platinum Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Jul 2013
                              Location: Basement
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Relaxed
                              Posts: 4,211

                              I think Casual is a good way for someone to get to know the basic mechanics of the game for series beginners. In my case I started out with Normal/Casual and then moved up to Hard/Classic after accidentally deleting my original save file. I haven't had much problems adjusting to the difficulty.

                              Casual also adds another depth into the game I think. For example Lunatic/Casual will be a very different gameplay than a Normal/Classic. To me both modes have their merits even if one may be lesser than another.

                              Reply With Quote
                              Reply
                              Quick Reply

                              Sponsored Links
                              Thread Tools

                              Posting Rules
                              You may not post new threads
                              You may not post replies
                              You may not post attachments
                              You may not edit your posts

                              BB code is On
                              Smilies are On
                              [IMG] code is On
                              HTML code is Off

                              Forum Jump


                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:17 PM.