Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #126    
Old September 26th, 2013 (4:45 AM).
Gigabyyyte's Avatar
Gigabyyyte Gigabyyyte is offline
Exploring the world of Kalos!
     
    Join Date: Aug 2013
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Relaxed
    Posts: 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichterSnipes View Post
    I read that thread, and your replies in it, just minutes after I made my last reply, so I kind of figured this was where this was going.

    I'll send a PM for the first part. As for the latter question, you'd just be "reverse-engineering" my tree-cut procedure. You can find it tacked on at the beginning of each tree's event data in AdvanceMap 1.92. Note that you'd have to apply it to every tree in the game since you'd be assigning each tree its own flag.
    Oh, okay. I'll definitely be using this patch for my hack. By the way, I suggest we talk about all the music-related stuff (should you want to participate) back in gogojjtech's thread. Thanks again!
    __________________


    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #127    
    Old September 27th, 2013 (9:54 AM).
    RichterSnipes's Avatar
    RichterSnipes RichterSnipes is offline
    *pew pew pew*
       
      Join Date: Oct 2011
      Location: USA
      Age: 24
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Modest
      Posts: 370
      Right. Anyways, back on track:

      I've already made a couple of changes to the hack since my last release. However, I've realized that the last few releases I've made really haven't had too much of an impact to the game. If I was to release the next version now, it wouldn't be any different.

      Rather than release something small again, I want to aim for something a little more ambitious than I have the last few times. I've got a couple of bigger things I want to do down the pipeline, so hopefully something promising comes out of those! What the final changes will be, I'm not even sure. All I know is that it will serve as a nice kick in the shin that this thing needs. At this point all that I need to find is the right time for everything to come together nicely.

      Just letting you all know that I'm not content with the things this little hack does quite yet!
      __________________
      My hack:
      Reply With Quote
        #128    
      Old September 29th, 2013 (7:44 PM).
      mugenstation360's Avatar
      mugenstation360 mugenstation360 is offline
         
        Join Date: Sep 2013
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 7
        Hey, just wanted to say nice job on this! I just started playing with it and im impressed with the changes. Its nice to improve the game without it going overboard. Since you seem like your going to be making some larger changes, should I just wait until then to keep playing?
        __________________
        I support this project!
        Reply With Quote
          #129    
        Old November 20th, 2013 (9:15 PM).
        RichterSnipes's Avatar
        RichterSnipes RichterSnipes is offline
        *pew pew pew*
           
          Join Date: Oct 2011
          Location: USA
          Age: 24
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Modest
          Posts: 370
          Sorry for little news recently about the update. Rest assured, I've made many changes to the hack since I was last here. The update will be live sometime before the end of the year. As you may notice, the poll is now closed (Gone? Maybe, I'm not sure if it will be soon). You know what that means...I've implemented an event for a real-life event legendary Pokémon! You'll be able to get Mew come next update and finish your Kanto Dex once and for all.

          Other noteworthy changes have been creeping up with my progress on the update, but I'll keep those a surprise for when I'm ready to release the update. Who knows what all I'll change, big or small, by the time it comes up here!

          I've also been heavily updating the interior of the hack, removing unnecessary code and fixing errors that I've ran into. Chief among them is my use of custom flags in the game. As I recently discovered, many the new flag values I've been using (in the 400s and 700s) are already used within the game for some reason unbeknownst to me. I've since relocated them to what I believe to be safer locations (the 300s). If those values happen to be even less safe than the others (and only then, I'm aware that they still might not be 100% safe), someone please notify me ASAP. So, in a belated response to this:

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by mugenstation360 View Post
          Since you seem like your going to be making some larger changes, should I just wait until then to keep playing?
          I'd suggest this: Continue Throwback as normal, but note the following for when I upload the update. If you want to continue using your save files and save states from the previous version (v3.3.3), please do not have them saved in the following areas when you update:
          • Lavender Town (Pokémon Tower and all buildings besides Mr. Fuji's house are safe)
          • Fuchsia City (all buildings except the Pokémon Paradise building w/the Safari Zone staff are safe)
          • Route 11
          • Altering Cave
          • Five Isle Meadow (the Rocket Base is safe)
          • Mt. Ember peak (with Moltres/Entei, depending on patches in use)
          • Icefall Cave's deepest room (with the Team Rocket encounter and, depending on patches in use, Suicune)
          • Treasure Beach - you'll see why in the next update!
          Also, please apply the patches to a clean ROM file when they come up. Since so many things have changed position, there could be conflicting instances if applying them to previously-patched ROMs.

          It's best if you either start and finish any custom Pokémon events you want to before you use the patch. If not done, some possible side effects of the flag changes include the following two things:
          • Custom Pokémon events stopping in the middle of them
          • Some hilarious instances of people spawning multiple times in an event, possibly breaking them royally
          If you do finish them, the events will be trigger-able again because of the different flags being checked.

          I am truly sorry for any inconveniences these changes may cause. I'm just trying to make the game as safe and reliable as possible for people to use. Hope you guys will be ready for the update when it comes up! I know you'll like the advancements I've made since the last version.
          __________________
          My hack:
          Reply With Quote
            #130    
          Old November 22nd, 2013 (2:37 PM).
          Cruztown's Avatar
          Cruztown Cruztown is offline
          Squirtle Squirt.
             
            Join Date: Jul 2012
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Rash
            Posts: 44
            Yo Richter, gotta say this is a cool patch. I'm enjoying everything you've put in so far, but I must ask: would you consider adding new Evolutionary Items to fix those that evolve by trade? Not sure if it'd be something you think is worth your time, but I figured it might be something to ask about.
            Reply With Quote
              #131    
            Old November 22nd, 2013 (5:39 PM).
            RichterSnipes's Avatar
            RichterSnipes RichterSnipes is offline
            *pew pew pew*
               
              Join Date: Oct 2011
              Location: USA
              Age: 24
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Modest
              Posts: 370
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Cruztown View Post
              Yo Richter, gotta say this is a cool patch. I'm enjoying everything you've put in so far, but I must ask: would you consider adding new Evolutionary Items to fix those that evolve by trade? Not sure if it'd be something you think is worth your time, but I figured it might be something to ask about.
              I know not a lot of people will agree with me on this, but my intentions to keep things in my hack consistent with the canon in the official games extend to trade evolutions. Changing how they evolve all of a sudden would break continuity with the rest of the games, so, for better or for worse, method of evolution will not change.

              What I would like to do is implement a method of simulating trade within the game. That is, having the actions being done in-game be similar to what happens during an actual trade. You know, like trading with yourself or having a Poké Ball with a Pokémon in it move from one system to another (like how they would during a trade). Of course, I can't do that without learning ASM, and even then it may be difficult to do. Sorry about that! You can still trade to evolve them as normal, or find the one area in the game where you can catch the evolved forms of them.
              __________________
              My hack:
              Reply With Quote
                #132    
              Old November 23rd, 2013 (11:21 PM).
              Cruztown's Avatar
              Cruztown Cruztown is offline
              Squirtle Squirt.
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2012
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Rash
                Posts: 44
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by RichterSnipes View Post
                I know not a lot of people will agree with me on this, but my intentions to keep things in my hack consistent with the canon in the official games extend to trade evolutions. Changing how they evolve all of a sudden would break continuity with the rest of the games, so, for better or for worse, method of evolution will not change.

                What I would like to do is implement a method of simulating trade within the game. That is, having the actions being done in-game be similar to what happens during an actual trade. You know, like trading with yourself or having a Poké Ball with a Pokémon in it move from one system to another (like how they would during a trade). Of course, I can't do that without learning ASM, and even then it may be difficult to do. Sorry about that! You can still trade to evolve them as normal, or find the one area in the game where you can catch the evolved forms of them.
                Oooh, that sounds tough. Well, thought I'd just ask in case. Good luck!
                Reply With Quote
                  #133    
                Old November 26th, 2013 (1:23 AM).
                pokesri pokesri is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2013
                  Posts: 3
                  Will you be changing any of the tiles so that it will look more like the original games and also make Kanto look exactly like it did in red and blue.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #134    
                  Old November 26th, 2013 (12:51 PM).
                  RichterSnipes's Avatar
                  RichterSnipes RichterSnipes is offline
                  *pew pew pew*
                     
                    Join Date: Oct 2011
                    Location: USA
                    Age: 24
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Modest
                    Posts: 370
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by pokesri View Post
                    Will you be changing any of the tiles so that it will look more like the original games and also make Kanto look exactly like it did in red and blue.
                    DrFuji actually started a hack a long time back that did what you're asking. It's called Retro Red if you'd like to see what that did (I believe he's since stopped working on it). I currently have no plans to do this. Every map would need to be changed beyond tile sets, as you've pointed out. If I were to do this, it would break compatibility with all of my other patches for good. Besides, I don't think people hold map dimensions that fondly.

                    If I were to ever do that, this project would likely take on a much different form. It could happen, since almost anything is possible. Don't hold your breath, though. Sorry!

                    ***

                    I've got an announcement for everyone. Unless some strange circumstance holds me back, I'll be releasing my update on Thanksgiving! I've been working hard on it recently, and I feel pretty happy about how it's shaping up. Stay tuned!
                    __________________
                    My hack:
                    Reply With Quote
                      #135    
                    Old November 26th, 2013 (8:57 PM).
                    Powerstars's Avatar
                    Powerstars Powerstars is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Jun 2012
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 95
                      Sweet idea! I love Red's old outfit. I assume you'll also be altering the effectiveness of psychic/ghost? Also, I think Mew should be implemented in a way similar to the Mew glitch. Celebi should not be implemented.

                      This really is a great idea. I see so many ways to make the remakes more...Gen 1ish. Good job!
                      __________________
                      Currently Playing:

                      Pokémon Pearl (Ultimate Leader Challenge - Jasmine)
                      2/8 Badges
                      Reply With Quote
                        #136    
                      Old November 27th, 2013 (10:54 AM).
                      RichterSnipes's Avatar
                      RichterSnipes RichterSnipes is offline
                      *pew pew pew*
                         
                        Join Date: Oct 2011
                        Location: USA
                        Age: 24
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Modest
                        Posts: 370
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Powerstars View Post
                        Sweet idea! I love Red's old outfit. I assume you'll also be altering the effectiveness of psychic/ghost? Also, I think Mew should be implemented in a way similar to the Mew glitch. Celebi should not be implemented.

                        This really is a great idea. I see so many ways to make the remakes more...Gen 1ish. Good job!
                        Although I do want to allow FireRed to have more retro features, it is not my intention to reintroduce flaws of the originals. The Psychic/Ghost dynamic in the 1st Gen games is believed to be an error in the game, as official sources back then suggested that Ghost was super-effective against Psychic. A trainer in the games themselves even said that Psychic-types fear Ghost-type moves. And, if you read one of my earlier posts, I've already implemented Mew into the game. I can tell you, though, it will not be caught in a manner similar to that infamous glitch.
                        __________________
                        My hack:
                        Reply With Quote
                          #137    
                        Old November 28th, 2013 (6:30 PM).
                        RichterSnipes's Avatar
                        RichterSnipes RichterSnipes is offline
                        *pew pew pew*
                           
                          Join Date: Oct 2011
                          Location: USA
                          Age: 24
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Modest
                          Posts: 370
                          Version 3.5 is now available for download!

                          As it turns out, releasing an update on a holiday wasn't that great of an idea. However, I'm sticking to my word with this one.

                          Many things have changed since last time, with many new spoils being added for you all to enjoy. In particular, you can now get Mew and the Johto starters. New guides are in the downloads for wild Pokémon locations and new event referencing. Also, several items previously unobtainable in the game are now available to be had. Many other little issues have been fixed.

                          As such, I must suggest something I never wanted to do: Depending on how far you got in the game previously, you might be better off starting with new save files. This is because of many changed flag values and new event code replacing older code. It's not required, but merely suggested.

                          Anyways, on to the massive c
                          hangelog:

                          Spoiler:
                          Catch 'em All:

                          *Faraway Island Mew event added. Find the washed-up Old Sea Map to start the event.
                          *The Johto starters are now obtainable. They serve as the prizes for completing various modes of Trainer Tower. (The previous prizes were hold item evolvers. They can now be found held on various wild Pokémon.)
                          *Slightly shuffled around certain wild Pokémon locations to be more fitting.
                          *Porygon now has a chance of carrying an Up-Grade.
                          *Fixed compatibility issue with the Extras patch.
                          *Wild Locations and Event guides added to download.

                          Wardrobe:

                          *Fixed various perspective problems with Red's OW sprites.
                          *Retro-ized character sprites in the credits.

                          GB Player:

                          *Added 8-Bit Item Obtained fanfare to game (wasn't there previously).
                          *Fixed a few hold notes during repeats in the title theme and battle themes.
                          *Fixed speed issue with Pokémon Mansion.

                          Extras:

                          *The proper item obtained fanfare now plays when you get an item off the ground.
                          *The vendor at Trainer Tower now sells Net and Luxury Balls.
                          *The Black, White, and Red Flutes are now obtainable at Pokémon Mansion, the Safari Zone, and Two Island, respectively.
                          *You can now find a Scope Lens and a BrightPowder at Silph Co. and the Rocket Warehouse, respectively.
                          *Hoppip and Skiploom now have a chance of carrying a Mental Herb.
                          *Added all non-purchasable types of mail (not featuring Hoenn Pokémon) to vendors at Indigo Plateau, Seven Island, and Trainer Tower, if only for the sake of completeness.
                          *Fixed transparency tile issue with Red's intro sprite.
                          *Tidied up parts of Mt. Moon.

                          Decap:

                          *Decapitalized all words used in the easy chat system.
                          *The instance of "s" in Poké Balls when Professor Oak gives you your first five Poké Balls has been decapitalized.
                          *Fixed an instance of corrupted sprite tiles, only noticeable if this patch is used along with the GB Player patch.

                          General:

                          *Code optimization and cleanup.
                          *Shifted flag values to safe(r) locations. Use save files from previous versions of this hack with caution.

                          Those new guides should help answer any questions you have with getting all the Pokémon in the Catch 'em All portion of the hack (sans Safari Zone, which should have an easily-understandable Pokémon layout). If there are any other questions, feel free to ask.

                          Enjoy!
                          __________________
                          My hack:
                          Reply With Quote
                            #138    
                          Old November 30th, 2013 (1:41 AM).
                          Kakarot1212's Avatar
                          Kakarot1212 Kakarot1212 is offline
                          Resident Programmer
                             
                            Join Date: Oct 2013
                            Location: Phillipines
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Adamant
                            Posts: 551
                            Whoa, sweet! This is great! Cool hack. Keep up the amazing work there!
                            Oh and BTW, gotta play this when its done
                            __________________
                            Reply With Quote
                              #139    
                            Old November 30th, 2013 (3:35 PM).
                            TRIFORCE89's Avatar
                            TRIFORCE89 TRIFORCE89 is offline
                            Guide of Darkness
                            • Gold Tier
                             
                            Join Date: May 2004
                            Location: Temple of Light
                            Age: 28
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Quiet
                            Posts: 8,128
                            Cool! Just caught that Mew. I couldn't really tell, but did it use the Mew battle music from Emerald?

                            I said it before, but this was a great hack.

                            Final (possibly?) thoughts would be to make it less... FireRedesque. Maybe have "Throwback Edition" on the title screen. Maybe tweak the Pokemon locations just a bit more to take into consideration Yellow and Japanese Blue if you haven't already (heck, maybe even the original Pinball on GBC if there's any variation there).

                            There was a comment above about in-game trades for Pokemon who evolve by trade. Is extensive ASM necessary if replacing existing trades rather than adding to them? You could trade for Haunter/Gengar in Cerulean instead of a Jynx, or Graveler/Golem on Cinnabar instead of a Electrode in Japanese Blue. And Machoke/Machamp instead of a Nidoran on Route 5 in Yellow Version. I think we could sacrifice the very common Nidoran.
                            __________________
                            Reply With Quote
                              #140    
                            Old November 30th, 2013 (5:29 PM).
                            RichterSnipes's Avatar
                            RichterSnipes RichterSnipes is offline
                            *pew pew pew*
                               
                              Join Date: Oct 2011
                              Location: USA
                              Age: 24
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Modest
                              Posts: 370
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by ~Joker~ View Post
                              Whoa, sweet! This is great! Cool hack. Keep up the amazing work there!
                              Oh and BTW, gotta play this when its done
                              Thanks! I'm not sure I can really say if this hack is "done," since at this point I really don't know when I feel other things I change are additions as opposed to progress to completion.

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
                              Cool! Just caught that Mew. I couldn't really tell, but did it use the Mew battle music from Emerald?

                              I said it before, but this was a great hack.

                              Final (possibly?) thoughts would be to make it less... FireRedesque. Maybe have "Throwback Edition" on the title screen. Maybe tweak the Pokemon locations just a bit more to take into consideration Yellow and Japanese Blue if you haven't already (heck, maybe even the original Pinball on GBC if there's any variation there).

                              There was a comment above about in-game trades for Pokemon who evolve by trade. Is extensive ASM necessary if replacing existing trades rather than adding to them? You could trade for Haunter/Gengar in Cerulean instead of a Jynx, or Graveler/Golem on Cinnabar instead of a Electrode in Japanese Blue. And Machoke/Machamp instead of a Nidoran on Route 5 in Yellow Version. I think we could sacrifice the very common Nidoran.
                              It's the same battle music that Mewtwo has. I didn't import the Emerald Mew battle music for two reasons. First, it isn't noticeably different enough to be worth taking up extra space in the ROM and repurposing an already existing track (there are extra ones, but I might want to use those later). And second, the slight variations in the tune that you can notice use instruments and patterns that are more characteristic of the R/S/E sound as opposed to the FR/LG sound.

                              If I change the title screen, I certainly won't make it say "Throwback Edition." Although I'm happy of the work I've done, the impression of authenticity and officialness are important to me. I'd probably give it a name fitting of an official release from Game Freak (or any RPG developer, for that matter) if they were to theoretically make a one-version game. The hack will still hold that name, of course. Other changes would include completely replacing the accompanying graphics with a more version-agnostic alternative.

                              And, if you haven't looked at the Wild Locations guide yet, you'll notice that many of the changes in Wild Pokémon have taken both Japanese Blue and Yellow into account. You'll find Jynx at the Seafoam Islands and Lickitung in Cerulean Cave, for example. And, if you're (un)lucky, you may stumble upon a Pidgeotto in the Viridan Forest. These are just a few of many examples.

                              I don't want to replace existing trades for a couple of reasons. First, there are only nine trades in the game, and ten Pokémon throughout the first two generations that evolve through trade. This alone obviously makes this approach unsatisfactory. And second, the Pokémon you receive won't be yours, but that of an NPC in the game. I want all obtainable Pokémon to be yours, not someone else's. That's not considering that this would make Johto Pokémon accessible before you complete the game...or at least screw people over who try to make those trades before the post-game (the same National Dex rules as FR/LG apply in my hack).
                              __________________
                              My hack:
                              Reply With Quote
                                #141    
                              Old November 30th, 2013 (6:03 PM).
                              Cruztown's Avatar
                              Cruztown Cruztown is offline
                              Squirtle Squirt.
                                 
                                Join Date: Jul 2012
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Rash
                                Posts: 44
                                Yo Richter, I don't know if you uh, meant for Mew to continually respawn until you leave the island for good, but it does. Maybe the script doesn't set a flag unique to its ID?
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #142    
                                Old November 30th, 2013 (6:06 PM).
                                TRIFORCE89's Avatar
                                TRIFORCE89 TRIFORCE89 is offline
                                Guide of Darkness
                                • Gold Tier
                                 
                                Join Date: May 2004
                                Location: Temple of Light
                                Age: 28
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Quiet
                                Posts: 8,128
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by RichterSnipes View Post
                                If I change the title screen, I certainly won't make it say "Throwback Edition." Although I'm happy of the work I've done, the impression of authenticity and officialness are important to me. I'd probably give it a name fitting of an official release from Game Freak (or any RPG developer, for that matter) if they were to theoretically make a one-version game. The hack will still hold that name, of course. Other changes would include completely replacing the accompanying graphics with a more version-agnostic alternative.
                                Sounds good.

                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by RichterSnipes View Post
                                And, if you haven't looked at the Wild Locations guide yet, you'll notice that many of the changes in Wild Pokémon have taken both Japanese Blue and Yellow into account. You'll find Jynx at the Seafoam Islands and Lickitung in Cerulean Cave, for example. And, if you're (un)lucky, you may stumble upon a Pidgeotto in the Viridan Forest. These are just a few of many examples.
                                I hadn't looked yet. But that all sounds good and exactly right.


                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by RichterSnipes View Post
                                I don't want to replace existing trades for a couple of reasons. First, there are only nine trades in the game, and ten Pokémon throughout the first two generations that evolve through trade. This alone obviously makes this approach unsatisfactory. And second, the Pokémon you receive won't be yours, but that of an NPC in the game. I want all obtainable Pokémon to be yours, not someone else's. That's not considering that this would make Johto Pokémon accessible before you complete the game...or at least screw people over who try to make those trades before the post-game (the same National Dex rules as FR/LG apply in my hack).
                                Good points
                                __________________
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #143    
                                Old November 30th, 2013 (6:48 PM).
                                RichterSnipes's Avatar
                                RichterSnipes RichterSnipes is offline
                                *pew pew pew*
                                   
                                  Join Date: Oct 2011
                                  Location: USA
                                  Age: 24
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Modest
                                  Posts: 370
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Cruztown View Post
                                  Yo Richter, I don't know if you uh, meant for Mew to continually respawn until you leave the island for good, but it does. Maybe the script doesn't set a flag unique to its ID?
                                  Well, Mew is supposedly the ancestor of all Pokémon, so who's to say it didn't make another of itself right before your battle ended?

                                  This appears to be a bug brought about through my code cleanup. It actually applies to the Johto legendary trio as well. Thanks for the find, I'll get it fixed when I have time.
                                  __________________
                                  My hack:
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #144    
                                  Old December 4th, 2013 (5:35 PM).
                                  RichterSnipes's Avatar
                                  RichterSnipes RichterSnipes is offline
                                  *pew pew pew*
                                     
                                    Join Date: Oct 2011
                                    Location: USA
                                    Age: 24
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Modest
                                    Posts: 370
                                    Version 3.5.1 is up!

                                    All this version does is fix the event legendary issue as reported by Cruztown (thanks!). Well, that and one more thing with Mew's map. Don't be on the same maps as Mew/Raikou/Entei/Suicune when you make your saves!

                                    Changelog:
                                    Spoiler:
                                    Catch 'em All
                                    • Event checks fixed so Mew, Raikou, Entei, and Suicune no longer appear infinitely to battle you.
                                    • Removed weather from Mew's map, as FR/LG does not handle it properly when used in conjunction with screen fades.
                                    __________________
                                    My hack:
                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #145    
                                    Old December 6th, 2013 (6:31 AM).
                                    Charmanderlover Charmanderlover is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Jun 2013
                                      Location: Chicago IL USA
                                      Gender: Female
                                      Posts: 23
                                      where is the download link
                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #146    
                                      Old December 6th, 2013 (10:47 AM).
                                      RichterSnipes's Avatar
                                      RichterSnipes RichterSnipes is offline
                                      *pew pew pew*
                                         
                                        Join Date: Oct 2011
                                        Location: USA
                                        Age: 24
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Modest
                                        Posts: 370
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Charmanderlover View Post
                                        where is the download link
                                        Right under the header "Download" in the OP. It's bolded and says something under the effect of "Your hacking wonders are just a click away!" The exact wording changes with each update for variety.
                                        __________________
                                        My hack:
                                        Reply With Quote
                                          #147    
                                        Old February 9th, 2014 (10:55 AM).
                                        Ghost Down's Avatar
                                        Ghost Down Ghost Down is offline
                                           
                                          Join Date: Oct 2010
                                          Location: The Netherlands
                                          Age: 26
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Relaxed
                                          Posts: 49
                                          Have you considered to replace the Pokemon sprites and/or add mega-evolutions?
                                          __________________
                                          Reply With Quote
                                            #148    
                                          Old February 11th, 2014 (4:15 AM).
                                          Aj Harold's Avatar
                                          Aj Harold Aj Harold is offline
                                          The champ
                                             
                                            Join Date: Feb 2014
                                            Location: Pallet Town
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Calm
                                            Posts: 54
                                            Good Idea! I like the idea and good job done I'd say!

                                            I have a suggestion that you should also make Hoenn and sinnoh pokemon Available to make it more Spicy!
                                            __________________
                                            HIGHEST POST RATE!
                                            Reply With Quote
                                              #149    
                                            Old February 11th, 2014 (11:32 AM).
                                            RichterSnipes's Avatar
                                            RichterSnipes RichterSnipes is offline
                                            *pew pew pew*
                                               
                                              Join Date: Oct 2011
                                              Location: USA
                                              Age: 24
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Nature: Modest
                                              Posts: 370
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Ghost Down View Post
                                              Have you considered to replace the Pokemon sprites and/or add mega-evolutions?
                                              I had started work on modifying the G/S/C sprites for use in this hack, but I stopped that pretty early on. There are a few images I posted for them some pages back. I wouldn't consider porting sprites from later games into Throwback, as they use an altered art style and shading from the original games. I want to keep the game's roots in its classic form and add features from the later games that are appropriate and don't change the game's mechanics at large.

                                              As for your other suggestion, read on.

                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Aj Harold View Post
                                              Good Idea! I like the idea and good job done I'd say!

                                              I have a suggestion that you should also make Hoenn and sinnoh pokemon Available to make it more Spicy!
                                              Spicy, you say?

                                              Spoiler:




                                              The point of this hack is to create the best, most faithful version of the 1st Gen games possible while not extending far out of the bounds of the initial remake (FR/LG). Adding Pokémon from later generations, especially those beyond Hoenn, would defeat the purpose of that. Where would I even put them, anyways? The main areas of the game need to strictly hold Kanto creatures, otherwise the experience won't feel as true to the original game. This doesn't leave a lot of room for the Johto Pokémon, which are all in the Sevii Isles. However, I can at least keep them because the base game makes use of them in the first place, and they still elicit similar nostalgic tones as the original 151.

                                              The same can be said for new mechanics as can be said for new Pokémon. I never included the Physical/Special split because that radically changes how the game is played and makes different strategies necessary. I'd even partially say the same thing for abilities. I'd have implemented a way to make both of those things toggle-able if I knew how to do that (or if that is even possible). And mega-evolutions? I haven't been paying attention to the hacking scene since X/Y released, but have there even been any hacks that implemented that? It'd fit in the same category as the other examples.

                                              That said, people are free to add these features into the game after using my patches if they please. I just have no plans to put them in unless I learn of a way to make them not mandatory.

                                              ***

                                              For those curious, I have put some work into another patch for the hack. As some of you may have noticed, in the GB music patch the noise instruments are only roughly approximated. Well, I've since found the data in the original Red ROM that holds what precise noises play for each of them and have fixed the sounds in the hack accordingly. Sans a couple of problem tracks, I'd say they're actually now the most accurate tracks in the songs they're in!

                                              I also plan to take another look at modulation in the square and triangle tracks to make them even more accurate. Beyond that, who knows what I might do for this hack?
                                              __________________
                                              My hack:
                                              Reply With Quote
                                                #150    
                                              Old February 11th, 2014 (12:01 PM).
                                              Legions Legions is offline
                                                 
                                                Join Date: Feb 2014
                                                Posts: 8
                                                Thank you for this. I'm going to download and play it right now
                                                Reply With Quote
                                                Reply
                                                Quick Reply

                                                Sponsored Links
                                                Thread Tools

                                                Posting Rules
                                                You may not post new threads
                                                You may not post replies
                                                You may not post attachments
                                                You may not edit your posts

                                                BB code is On
                                                Smilies are On
                                                [IMG] code is On
                                                HTML code is Off

                                                Forum Jump


                                                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:49 AM.