ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old September 25th, 2013 (2:53 AM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miizhen View Post
    Hi, I’m relatively new to hacking. I’m looking for some advice/help on the topic of changing an items use in fire red. I’m looking to have an item that can be used in battle to deal damage. (I should mention I’m not exactly making a “true pokemon” hack. So I can spare the loss of certain existing items and attacks.) So right now my plan is to edit an attack to designate for the purpose of said item. Then edit the script of an item like “X Attack” to use the designated attack, instead of giving a buff. My problem is, I’m not exactly sure where or how to find the offset or pointers for attack & item scripts. I’ve found a few item editing tutorials, but I’ve not found one that sheds light on my issue. So if anyone could direct me to a tutorial or provide some advice, I would be very grateful. Thanks!
    You have no idea what you are getting into. In a game right now, can you deal damage with an item? No. That means that there is no coding in the game to allow this, so, you need to code your own. Items have two effects: in-battle and out-of-battle. You need to find a way to write a new in battle effect that subtracts HP from the opponents pokemon.

I have never looked at in-battle effects of items, but out-of-battle ones are coded in mostly pure ASM. I would assume it would be the same for in-battle, though those might use battle scripting.

Paired with Simba

Relevant Advertising!

Old September 25th, 2013 (6:57 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
      Is it safe to edit the already compiled scripts, and then re-compiled it? I have compiled a script, and i realized there's a small mistakes, if i open it in xse, edit it, and then compiled it again, will it messed up my rom?
      Old September 25th, 2013 (10:35 AM).
      busy trying to do stuff not done yet

Is there a cheat engine-like program that scans the gba ram of an emulator for a certain byte, and then scans the found bytes again for something else, so you can locate stuff? Or is there maybe a way to convert the offsets from cheat engine when used on vba-m to gba ram offsets?
        Old September 25th, 2013 (11:21 AM).
        The Master of Pokemon Breeding
        • Crystal Tier

Nature: Gentle
        Anyone got any gameshark codes that will allow me to have my player's name have up to 9 characters in the name? Cause my name is Stephanie and I want to use my name in the game but can never fit it in the spaces available.

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
        Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=231549&ref=61528
        Get a Free PS3, this is no joke: http://www.YourPS34free.com/index.php?ref=5580831
        Old September 25th, 2013 (11:34 AM).
        Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Konekodemon View Post
          Anyone got any gameshark codes that will allow me to have my player's name have up to 9 characters in the name? Cause my name is Stephanie and I want to use my name in the game but can never fit it in the spaces available.
          Gameshark codes don't work that way - they can't be used to hack the game to function in a way that it's not made to do. There is a huge difference with a code that can be used to change the encountered wild pokemon for instance.
          There is a memory slot in ram where the encountered pokemon is stored, so you can use a gameshark code to modify the values there. However, for example naming the main character is a whole asm routine that would have to be hacked to allow more characters for the main player. This can't be achieved by editing ram data with gameshark codes, but rather by hacking the game itself (hex editors, asm editors, such).

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
          CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
          -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
          Old September 25th, 2013 (2:25 PM).

[EMERALD] How do you change the town map to add a second region and display that region's map when in it? (like in ShinyGold/LiquidCrystal or some equivalent) Not quite a simple question, but I didn't know where to ask :\ I know this might be is probably way out of my league, but I figure if anyone knows how, they would be here.

I've googled and searched extensively, but cannot find anything on the subject so I made a PC account to ask
            Old September 25th, 2013 (2:58 PM).
            (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
            • Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Nelsyv View Post
            [EMERALD] How do you change the town map to add a second region and display that region's map when in it? (like in ShinyGold/LiquidCrystal or some equivalent) Not quite a simple question, but I didn't know where to ask :\ I know this might be is probably way out of my league, but I figure if anyone knows how, they would be here.

I've googled and searched extensively, but cannot find anything on the subject so I made a PC account to ask
            You need ASM knowledge, and if you noticed, those hacks are FR hacks (Better since the engines and all that)

Support me at my site!
            Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
            Old September 25th, 2013 (5:06 PM). Edited September 25th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by daniilS View Post
              Is there a cheat engine-like program that scans the gba ram of an emulator for a certain byte, and then scans the found bytes again for something else, so you can locate stuff? Or is there maybe a way to convert the offsets from cheat engine when used on vba-m to gba ram offsets?
              There is a cheat engine built right into VBA that gives out RAM offsets....

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Konekodemon View Post
              Have fun recodeing the storage of the game. It can be done, but the game only allocates 8 bytes to naming the player (I have seen the storage area myself personally and changed it manually), so it won't be easy. You would also have to go in and edit the all of the name input screens.

This stuff is required to be hard coded to the rom, if it is done. There is no way possible that gameshark could do it alone... (Well, maybe, but the code would be absolutely massive and not worth it.)

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Garuga17 View Post
              Is it safe to edit the already compiled scripts, and then re-compiled it? I have compiled a script, and i realized there's a small mistakes, if i open it in xse, edit it, and then compiled it again, will it messed up my rom?
              As long as the script is shorter or the same size (in bytes, not lines) than the original. Hit F1 in XSE to bring up the command database, which tells you how many bytes each command needs.

Paired with Simba
              Old September 25th, 2013 (6:24 PM).

Hey I am making a hack and was wondering if there is a way to change it so you dont need to use a pokemons move SURF or CUT to go on water or cut down those trees, i want the player to get items to do these things, is that possible if so what would i need to do?
                Old September 25th, 2013 (10:58 PM).

Nature: Naughty
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by arktyz View Post
                  Hey I am making a hack and was wondering if there is a way to change it so you dont need to use a pokemons move SURF or CUT to go on water or cut down those trees, i want the player to get items to do these things, is that possible if so what would i need to do?
                  Well, the easiest thing is you can go into AdvanceMap, into the Movement Permissions tab, and change the permissions so you can, like, walk on water I guess?? But you say you want the player to use items to activate those powers. I know in RSE there was one item called Go-Goggles that allowed you to pass through the harsh desert winds in Route 111, so there is functionality built into the game for Key Items allowing you to pass through certain tiles.

I took a quick look at Route 111 in AdvanceMap, and it seems that the functionality to get into the desert dependent on whether you have the right item is not based on Movement Permissions, but on a bevy of Scripts on all the tiles leading to all entrances/exits to the sandy part of the route.

So, I guess try diving into those scripts? I'm a total noob at this stuff, though, so those are just my ideas. Hopefully someone less ignorant than I can help you!

Also I have some questions to ask of the thread:
                  (But I didn't want to double post - also, please note that I'm hacking Emerald)

1. Here's the big one: So, I'm editing Littleroot Town in AdvanceMap, and after a couple slow hours of learning the various shortcuts to the program and such, I cobbled together a decent town:

Now, it's not perfect (I can't believe I forgot to put the little door spot thingy for that fourth house), but it's a start. Unfortunately, when I open it up in the actual game:

I'm traipsing through a featureless black void, which strangely appears to be filled with tall grass. I have limited mobility, and I can see the homeless fat man in the blue shirt sometimes, but it's obviously not what I'm looking for.

Now, I think I know what caused this, but it's something that I'm going to do anyway - I removed all the scripts from the Littleroot overworld map (not any of the houses yet). I also removed the vans. I wanted to be able to just wander around my new starter town without triggering any events beyond talking to people, signposts, and entering warps.

So, realizing what happened, I went into the Van Interior map, and noticed that the warp was going to some strange map bank - the warp number, map bank, and map are all 127. Seeing as the highest map bank I could find was Route 124 on 33.0, I changed the Van Interior warps to go to Littleroot at 0.9, and made a new warp to just chill kind of in the middle, to see if it worked. It didn't.

Also, even though I removed all the scripts, from both the Littleroot map and the Van Interior, I still automagically follow my Mom into my house (through the void), and I can't figure out why. Ultimately, I want to remove the entire van sequence, but for now, I would just settle for magically warping out of the middle of a van into the middle of vanless small town that ISN'T an inescapable black void of soul-crushing terror.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

2. As you'll notice in the first picture, the exits to my new starter town are on the sides - to the left is the first route, and to the right is a small copse of trees in which you wake up from a dream and begin the game. I've finished making the map of the copse, and am ready to make a warp/edit the map connections to connect it to the main part of my starter town. However, I made a new map instead of editing an old one for this. I named it BRIGHTROOST TOWN (1.5) (that's the name of my new starter town), but it's in the "Map Files" folder instead of "From Header". Is there a way for me to move it to the Brightroost Town folder in "From Header", for organizational purposes? Also, is just naming it with "(1.5)" enough, or do I have to set the map bank and stuff some other way? How do I go about doing that?

Sorry for the long and complicated questions, but I'm hoping that to someone more experienced than I, they do seem like simple questions. If this was the wrong place to post this, then I'm sorry and it'd be great if someone could tell me where.

Also, if someone could make it be October 12th already, I would be much obliged. My wanting for X/Y has morphed from simple need to an all-consuming desire.
                  Old September 25th, 2013 (11:24 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post

As long as the script is shorter or the same size (in bytes, not lines) than the original. Hit F1 in XSE to bring up the command database, which tells you how many bytes each command needs.

So, if i only change small things, like Pokemon ID, or levels, or Music ID, or anything that involve "0x(blahblah)" it would not affect? Thx for your answer anyway :D
                    Old September 26th, 2013 (4:34 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Garuga17 View Post
                      So, if i only change small things, like Pokemon ID, or levels, or Music ID, or anything that involve "0x(blahblah)" it would not affect? Thx for your answer anyway :D
                      Yes, corruption only takes place when the number of new bytes is greater than the number of old. So, if you only change the existing bytes, and not the commands, you will be fine.

Paired with Simba
                      Old September 26th, 2013 (6:56 AM).
                      Gaijin Trainer

Nature: Timid
                        There is any way to export the text files from platinum in separated files for each .bin file in pl_msg.narc ?
                        getting in .bin with crystal title I couldn't find a way to open/convert them to xml or editable text
                        With thenewpoketext I can only get all the game text in one file(And it make my oldy pc frooze when I want to open), should be better if I could get them apart, like we can see in some editors like in SDSME or Ds text editor but I can't export/import them from there, there's any way?
                        Old September 26th, 2013 (11:46 AM).
                        Bug reporter

Nature: Gentle
                          I'm trying to transalte an hack. I want to transalte this test:

But when i search it on advance text there are some weird "thing" before the test.

Why?

And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

Old September 26th, 2013 (8:23 PM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Hacker Bisharp View Post

But when i search it on advance text there are some weird "thing" before the test.

Why?
                            Advanced Text is VERY buggy and unreliable.

I would recommend just opening the script up with XSE from advanced map and editing it from there.

However even that process is not 100% correct.

Make a while new script and complite it, use that offset in place of the offset you are trying to replace.

Does that make sence?
                            Old September 26th, 2013 (8:51 PM).
                            • Gold Tier

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Hacker Bisharp View Post

Why?
                            The simplest thing to do is open up XSE for your script, click on the decompile button in the top right, translate the text, then click compile again. Just make sure the translated message isn't bigger than the original text!
                            Old September 26th, 2013 (9:15 PM).

So I got a little test map of Pallet Town going and everything is working so far, but for some reason whenever I walk downwards towards a tile that you can't walk on, a white and green flashing arrow appears. I think it may be related to movement permissions, but I'm not sure; it doesn't make any difference to the actual gameplay but it's annoying. Any suggestions as to how I can remove it?

If it helps, I used the following movement permissions in AM: "C" for the places you can walk, "1" for where you cannot, and "4" for where you can surf.

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
                              92% of teens moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
                              Old September 27th, 2013 (1:59 AM).

Quote:
                                So I got a little test map of Pallet Town going and everything is working so far, but for some reason whenever I walk downwards towards a tile that you can't walk on, a white and green flashing arrow appears. I think it may be related to movement permissions, but I'm not sure; it doesn't make any difference to the actual gameplay but it's annoying. Any suggestions as to how I can remove it?

If it helps, I used the following movement permissions in AM: "C" for the places you can walk, "1" for where you cannot, and "4" for where you can surf.
                                I think I know the issue, but can I see a screen shot to confirm?

Paired with Simba
                                Old September 27th, 2013 (11:32 AM).

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                                  I think I know the issue, but can I see a screen shot to confirm?
                                  I can't post images yet, but here are the links:

oi39 dot tinypic dot com/2nu2fqd dot jpg

oi44 dot tinypic dot com/14cwjg0 dot jpg
                                  Old September 27th, 2013 (11:33 AM).
                                  • Gold Tier

Quote:
                                  I can't post images yet, but here are the links:

oi39 dot tinypic dot com/2nu2fqd dot jpg

oi44 dot tinypic dot com/14cwjg0 dot jpg
                                  That's just because the tile has an attribute of warp down of hero. So in the tiles editor in A-map 1.92 fix it.

Support me at my site!
                                  Old September 27th, 2013 (11:51 AM).

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
                                    That's just because the tile has an attribute of warp down of hero. So in the tiles editor in A-map 1.92 fix it.
                                    How do you get to the tiles editor? I looked around but I couldn't find it...
                                    Old September 27th, 2013 (11:51 AM).
                                    • Gold Tier

Quote:
                                    How do you get to the tiles editor? I looked around but I couldn't find it...
                                    It looks like a puzzle piece near the top

Support me at my site!
                                    Old September 27th, 2013 (11:57 AM).

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
                                      It looks like a puzzle piece near the top
                                      Ah ok thanks. It says "Block editor" in my copy of AM so I wasn't sure if it was something different... Either way, that fixed it. Thanks a lot! :D
                                      Old September 27th, 2013 (2:23 PM).
                                      Emperor of Aragon

Nature: Quiet
                                        I tried searching the thread, but "TM" didn't get any results.

Is it possible to create a new TM using just the Item Manager or another Item Tool, or do I need to use a hex editor?
                                        Old September 27th, 2013 (3:13 PM).
                                        • Gold Tier

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by CRaTeR View Post
                                        I tried searching the thread, but "TM" didn't get any results.

Is it possible to create a new TM using just the Item Manager or another Item Tool, or do I need to use a hex editor?
                                        You must create ASM routines, use a save block hack, expand the bag's length, Expand all pokemon moveset compatibility to include for the new TMs, etc.
                                        I think you get the point

Support me at my site!
                                        Closed Thread

Quick Reply