• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Shedinja

Years
I know Shedinja gets a lot of mixed opinions. I've been doing a single pokemon run of Emerald, and I picked nincada. I know most people probably consider this cheating, because I'm using ninjask and shedinja, but I think they make a decent pair. I love using shedinja whenever I can, it's so much fun to use such a high-risk-pokemon. Ninjask only ever gets used when shedinja won't work, or when he needs levels. (Or during double battles, obviously)

The bottom line is, I want to know what you guys think about shedinja. I think it's a pretty good addition to any team if you use it right.

Years
Well, I wouldn't say its cheating, since you're using a Pokemon not fully invincible and pretty dangerous to have in a team. But overall it is a good addition to a team. I just wish it had a better move set and stats. It kinda gets out-classed by Ninjask which is speedy and can learn attacks like Aerial Ace(Dunno if Shedinja can learn it too, I think it can). I once had both and they were fun to use.

Years
He has an amazing design and definitely sports the most unique way to obtain a Pokemon. Sadly he has a little too many weaknesses, though, so the guy was never very useful for me in third generation playthroughs. Opponents would always find a way to knock him down a peg. v_v Like Negix said though, he can make a pretty good addition to your team nonetheless depending on what you're doing.

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2018
I loved using Ninjask in Pokémon Colosseum. It's very useful if you know how to take advantage of its attributes and if you're aware of its weaknesses. Probably this doesn't apply for competitive battles against real people, but you might be able to troll some trainers out there. xD

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
I find that Shedinja is an awesome and unique pokemon. I say go right ahead with your run, because it must be very interesting to use it and probably fun too.

I also have quite a special bond with Nincada, because it was the first (and unfortunately only) shiny pokemon that I have found. Technically, because of how it evolves, it could be the best one to find because you get two shiny pokemon out of the deal :)

Sirfetch’d

I love Shedinja, but I don't ever use one haha. It is just too easy to beat with entry hazards or status and not to mention the ever so common fire,flying, dark attacks. I think that this Pokemon had an amazing concept, but is just too much of a gimmick for my taste.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I've actually used Shedinja on my team before. I actually kind of miss using it and perhaps sometime in the future I'll use it again. He might be very gimmicky but if I remember correctly he still served me well on my team.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
In my opinion, I thought Shedinja had too many weaknesses. Plus, having just an HP of 1 really makes the defense + Spec Def pointless. Even things like Confuse Ray can knock it out if it hurts itself in it's own confusion.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Shedinja is quite a simple Pokémon, design-wise. It's just a shed of skin that Nincada left over when evolving into Ninjask. When it comes to battling, however, Shedinja has gotta be one of the most complex Pokémon that you would ever be able to come across. d: It's got only a single HP, and its overall stats are extremely low. It doesn't have too much of a big movepool, either. It does have an ability known as "Wonder Guard," though, which protects it from any move that it's not super-effective to. Veteran players may have some knowledge on what this Pokémon's weaknesses are and such, but those who are new (most likely) may not, which would give them a hard time when they try to take Shedinja down. Personally, I haven't used this Pokémon in any of my battles, but I might do it at some point in the future!

Last edited:
Years
I've never even thought of using Shedinja because I didn't find Nincada to be particularly useful compared to other options that there are in game.

SoulRoach

Hoenn Fanboy
Years
It is really good in the main game, but as for Wi-Fi battles I think you would struggle trying to find a use for him.All that said Shedinja has one of my favorite concepts in the whole of pokémon, and I love his ability, as the drawbacks aren't really that bad, if you can recall all type advantages/disadvantages.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
Shedinja is a good sweeper if the npc allows me to stack up on agility and s.dance to baton pass to it, I've never battled human with it though.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
For a single-Pokémon challenge it probably would be cheating to use both, but whatever you like! :P

I personally love the Pokémon, even in competitive battles I used to use it and win countless battles because the opponent wasn't prepared. In-game its just as useful!

Agous

Solid Mercury?
Years
Shedninja, I believe has good enough offensive stats that it can be viable in game. As long as there is no Hail or Sandstorm, Shedninja can get up Swords Dance and r*** a team with Shadow Ball. OH and the fact that its weaknesses are fatal. IDK, but I think Shedninja is very usable.

Years
Shedinja is a really interesting Pokemon I gotta say, the Pokedex entries are fun to read, it has a unique evolution method and a unique ability. Sadly its many common weaknesses and also the presence of entry hazards and weather damage is a drawback.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think Shedinja is unique Pokémon in its own right, because it's technically invincible to some of the attacks due to Wonder Guard, but it also have a drawback for having only 1 HP though, that it's prone to getting OHKO'ed by super-effective attacks, and even some weather conditions and status effects.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
292Shedinja.png

I really like it a ghost and bug type great combination Pokemon. Well first i always though why why this HP Only 1 and in some type 2 hp ha ha :) I really can't level him up by 1 at all !!!!!! Well i can't really fight with it but the style and desgin is really good. Thoguh its a spirit but anyway :p

It is considered a "special" evolution of Nincada, appearing only when Nincada evolves into Ninjask, starting at level 20, and there is an extra space in the player's party and the player has an extra Poké Ball. An extra Poké Ball is not necessary to obtain Shedinja in Generation III.

Shedinja is a Pokémon based on a cicada's shed exoskeleton. Its body is completely hollow and dark, as it possesses no internal organs. Its shell consists of chitin and is completely incapable of movement. Most of its body is light brown, and the abdomen is gray. This body is hard and powerful, which gives it strong defenses. It has four protrusions on its underside instead of legs, and its eyes are narrow slits. It has a pair of tattered wings on its back that divide into three wingtips, and between them is a hole. Two lines encircle its abdomen and a white halo floats above its head. It does not breathe and floats without moving its wings. It lives in forests.

Well i really like his Shadow ball though that is his Special move :P and the Shadow Sneak it just I really like these 2 moves of him. the 3 ways in GEN 3 game to get him are -
1) Evolve Nincada with extra slot in party

2) Trading

3) Gameshark or any other Code applying

Years
Shedinja is only good if used correctly, sometimes amazing. Generally, it's a useful Pokemon to have to switch-in or to use in gyms that don't effect it. Although, it can become quite deadly. With the right movepool and Focus Sash, it can pack quite a punch in battle. I'm currently using one in a bug mono and it can really turn battles around for me. That said, it's dual typing makes it quite easy to KO, but I guess if it was just one type then it would be more used than it is. Plus, one mistake can lead to it's downfall. Like I said at the beginning, only good if used correctly.

Crux

Evermore
Years
Using Shedinja is probably one of the best tests to see how good of a trainer you are. If used properly, then it becomes a major issue for the enemy, if used poorly then it's a waste of team space.

The design is one of my favorites, and the background to the pokemon itself is highly interesting. Overall, I'd say I like it.

Back