The PokéCommunity Forums Off Topic Discussions Off-Topic
My Laptop Won't Run

Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old October 17th, 2013 (5:55 AM).
Starry Windy's Avatar
Starry Windy Starry Windy is offline
I'll do my best!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the islands.
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Posts: 7,354
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
Tonight I was about to open my laptop, and I find out that Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights are blinking, and when I opened my laptop again, it won't run... I got a blank screen with the same Lock lights blinking (the laptop seems like it's turned on btw).

I wonder what happened?
__________________
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #2    
Old October 17th, 2013 (6:01 AM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja Tsutarja is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 17,910
Hmm, that's strange. Could you tell us the make & model of your laptop for more information Windy?
__________________
Moderator of The LabPartnerCreditMy Website
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old October 17th, 2013 (6:12 AM).
Starry Windy's Avatar
Starry Windy Starry Windy is offline
I'll do my best!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the islands.
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Posts: 7,354
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
I was using Compaq Presario CQ40 lines btw. The Lock keys was blinking, and I noticed when I turn on my laptop, the battery charging light is turned off for some reason.
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old October 17th, 2013 (8:13 AM).
MKGirlism's Avatar
MKGirlism MKGirlism is offline
3DS and Wii U Game Developer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Netherlands
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Calm
Posts: 414
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
It sounds like you don't see anything on screen, which means your screen got burned-in (how do I properly word it in English?).
I had it with my very first Laptop too, the thing was on, everything worked, but I couldn't see anything on screen.
The only way to see something, was to put the screen against the sun, but sadly, it was the one of the last customer Laptops with a TFT Screen, I wouldn't recommend you to do the same with a glass Screen.
__________________
~Yami
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old October 17th, 2013 (8:26 AM).
donavannj's Avatar
donavannj donavannj is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,914
It might not be burn-in. Does the computer make sounds as if it's starting up?

We need to know all the details of what it's doing when you open it. Sounds like it could be a video failure.
__________________
Avatar is Jun from one of the K-On! manga. Check back later for signature.
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old October 17th, 2013 (8:52 AM). Edited October 17th, 2013 by Starry Windy.
Starry Windy's Avatar
Starry Windy Starry Windy is offline
I'll do my best!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the islands.
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Posts: 7,354
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKGirlism View Post
It sounds like you don't see anything on screen, which means your screen got burned-in (how do I properly word it in English?).
I had it with my very first Laptop too, the thing was on, everything worked, but I couldn't see anything on screen.
The only way to see something, was to put the screen against the sun, but sadly, it was the one of the last customer Laptops with a TFT Screen, I wouldn't recommend you to do the same with a glass Screen.
My laptop is using LCD system, and weirdly, the first time the Lock keys are flashing, my laptop's screen is still ok (even when I'm shutting down my laptop after seeing them flashing). The problem starts when I'm turning on my laptop after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
It might not be burn-in. Does the computer make sounds as if it's starting up?

We need to know all the details of what it's doing when you open it. Sounds like it could be a video failure.
Usually, when I open my laptop, it usually starts quite silent (except for the laptop's fan's sound obviously) even if it's operating properly. And usually I know it's starting up when I see the Compaq logo in my monitor in the first place. However, this time when I open it, it's all black, I can't type anything, the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock's lights are flashing. And the charging light (the one with thunder sign in it) interestingly turned off when I'm opening my laptop, and the same charging light is on again when I turn off my laptop.
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old October 17th, 2013 (10:58 AM).
donavannj's Avatar
donavannj donavannj is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,914
If you have a spare monitor, try connecting the laptop into that. There should be a port on the side you can use for outputting video to the monitor. If there's still no video and the monitor and laptop both have power, it may be a video driver failure.
Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old October 17th, 2013 (2:53 PM).
Seki Seki is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
If you have a spare monitor, try connecting the laptop into that. There should be a port on the side you can use for outputting video to the monitor. If there's still no video and the monitor and laptop both have power, it may be a video driver failure.
Adding to this: Or modern day TVs will do.
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old October 18th, 2013 (12:04 AM). Edited October 18th, 2013 by Starry Windy.
Starry Windy's Avatar
Starry Windy Starry Windy is offline
I'll do my best!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the islands.
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Posts: 7,354
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
I have tried the spare monitors but still no go, but sometimes the Compaq logo pops up on both of my monitors, after waiting for about a minute (although it occurs rarely), so I'm sure it's not the monitor's problem. I'm still troubled with the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock's blinking lights though, because usually the lights are not flashing, and the slow boot (as in waiting for the BIOS logo) as well. I wonder if there's something wrong that the lights are flashing and the long wait of the Compaq logo.
Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old October 18th, 2013 (6:13 AM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Heart View Post
I have tried the spare monitors but still no go, but sometimes the Compaq logo pops up on both of my monitors, after waiting for about a minute (although it occurs rarely), so I'm sure it's not the monitor's problem. I'm still troubled with the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock's blinking lights though, because usually the lights are not flashing, and the slow boot (as in waiting for the BIOS logo) as well. I wonder if there's something wrong that the lights are flashing and the long wait of the Compaq logo.
This probably means the BIOS is either unable to initialise everything and hence unable to boot, or it is unable to access the boot device. It's unlikely that either the GPU or video outs are the problem now - I think it's the laptop.

Anyway, how old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty? Your best bet is either get it serviced (if under warranty/have important data) or get a new, better laptop.
__________________
Froofiest batwyvern ever
Of course you can't handle Boomburst, can you?

Reply With Quote
  #11    
Old October 18th, 2013 (6:39 AM).
donavannj's Avatar
donavannj donavannj is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
This probably means the BIOS is either unable to initialise everything and hence unable to boot, or it is unable to access the boot device. It's unlikely that either the GPU or video outs are the problem now - I think it's the laptop.

Anyway, how old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty? Your best bet is either get it serviced (if under warranty/have important data) or get a new, better laptop.
This this this.

If it was just the video, you wouldn't be getting the splash screen even occasionally. The BIOS may corrupted.
Reply With Quote
  #12    
Old October 18th, 2013 (6:41 AM).
Starry Windy's Avatar
Starry Windy Starry Windy is offline
I'll do my best!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the islands.
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Posts: 7,354
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
I have been using my laptop for about 3-4 years, that I'm unsure about the warranty of my laptop anymore. I think I must bring it on service center after finishing backing up my data, then.
Reply With Quote
  #13    
Old October 18th, 2013 (7:16 AM).
donavannj's Avatar
donavannj donavannj is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,914
At that age your laptop is probably not covered by any warranty anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #14    
Old October 19th, 2013 (1:35 AM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,851
Perhaps after backing up everything you can get a hold of off the laptop, start shopping for a new laptop.

I'd suggest asking for suggestions at this point. What do you want your laptop to do now, and in the near future?
Reply With Quote
  #15    
Old October 20th, 2013 (4:40 AM).
Starry Windy's Avatar
Starry Windy Starry Windy is offline
I'll do my best!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the islands.
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Posts: 7,354
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
Perhaps after backing up everything you can get a hold of off the laptop, start shopping for a new laptop.

I'd suggest asking for suggestions at this point. What do you want your laptop to do now, and in the near future?
I think after my laptop is repaired, I think I'll keep using it even though my times in laptop will be reduced, while saving up to buy a new one that I'll be using in the future.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:59 AM.