• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I'm back guys!

And I also finished one of my two challenges, because I messed up the other one =/
But I'll still try to finish it nonetheless. Also I'm also giving my first shot at the Trainer Type Challenge :) Since it's going to die in a few days and it would be a shame for such a good challenge to go to waste

Challenge forum is gonna be active now with me back, woohoo! :D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Welcome back ^-^ I need to get working on that SMT challenge and work on finishing some of mines too lol x.x

11wildy

Me!
Years
Hello! I just got another idea for a challenge, which I probably won't do for a while because I have around 4 on the go right now. I do want some way for Pokemon to die or become useless in it, though, and I don't want to do the standard Locke-death. Does anybody have any ideas on different ways for them to die/be put out of commission? If you could share them I would be eternally grateful :) :) :) Thanks!

Well there's a challenge I once played, but I don't think the thread is around anymore. It basically required you to release your higher leveled Pokemon after every second gym. (So 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th). You could of course adapt this to highest after every gym or something like that.

@Dexter, no I don't think there's a thread for it. Most people find it too difficult to casually play x]. And well... It's really difficult lol, you need to plan forward so much! And save before every trainer, as an unlucky crit can ruin the run already.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Hello! I just got another idea for a challenge, which I probably won't do for a while because I have around 4 on the go right now. I do want some way for Pokemon to die or become useless in it, though, and I don't want to do the standard Locke-death. Does anybody have any ideas on different ways for them to die/be put out of commission? If you could share them I would be eternally grateful :) :) :) Thanks!
hmm... death... Wildy gave me an idea. Put timers on the pokeballs. Something like a Death Capsule Pokemon Ranger Challenge. (since the pokemon rangers in the spinoffs and anime release their pokemon after they've done a favor)

Whenever you capture a pokemon, his time with you is already predetermined, and it is up to you on how to put what's remaining of his life into good use. Every time a pokemon gains a level, one LP (life point) is deducted from the total.

Pokeball = 12 LP
Great Ball = 15 LP
Ultra Ball = 18 LP
Master Ball = 21 LP
Other = 15 LP
* Rare Candies = does not deduct LP

So if you have a lv5 squirtle, you should release it (or store) once it reaches lv17, which is 0LP, unless you used a rare candy on it. It's candy, that pokemon now loves you. This also makes it a good reason to catch stronger pokemon to aid you in your quest.

Only applicable to gen 3+ though, where you can see both which pokeball was used and what level it was caught in the status screen. LPs could be shorter if you want, but I'm thinking some post-game stuff won't be "freely" doable if you lower those numbers. Longer should probably be fine though.

And by "freely", I mean allowing the player to use a wide selection of pokemon.

11wildy

Me!
Years
Hmm that's a cool idea actually! It would require you to swap around your team a lot. One problem I see though... Often wild Pokemon are much lower leveled than trainer Pokemon, so they would be nearing "death" when they are just getting battle ready. So maybe you should add a rule to start counting at a certain point below a gym leaders level or something like that? Maybe 5 levels under the previous leader's highest, just an example.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I guess you're right. Adjusting the LP values is the easier solution, though. Those numbers were just used as an example, after all.

Edit: and sorry Syd, I stole your "__ loves you now" catchphrase on my previous post. kehehe

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
I think it'll be alright until you find someone Red (or Steven [Emerald] or Cynthia [B/W]). Or can you beat him with just the pokemon available at mt silver at lv 62?

Furthermore, I would like to suggest turning the numbers around:
Pokeball = 21 LP
Greatball = 18 LP
Ultraball = 15 LP
Masterball = 12 LP

This way, it gets promoted to use weaker balls :P The fact that that means you can use your first pokemon longer doesn't really matter, because there's a long game ahead anyway.

@Dexter, no I don't think there's a thread for it. Most people find it too difficult to casually play x]. And well... It's really difficult lol, you need to plan forward so much! And save before every trainer, as an unlucky crit can ruin the run already.
Actually, I don't think it is even possible. It's more like, 'how far can you get', than whether you will make it :P

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

What's the point of promoting weaker balls? The challenge is not centered on capturing, you might as well make it friendly for anyone. You can add stuff such as "pokeball-only", "no legendaries" as optional rules if you were worried about the game being too easy in the case of those issues.
Then why else should you use any other ball?
What's the point of these balls becoming available much later in the game?
I initially wrote the values up the same way you did, before posting it. But when I asked those same questions to myself, I immediately got an answer by turning it around. It kinda makes sense to have it this way.

Also, just to point out a case, Master balls should definitely have the highest value, no matter what. It's one-of-a-kind (well, kinda) so it really makes the player think carefully which pokemon he/she should use it with.

As for the no pokecenter, no pokemart survival challenge. Someone actually pulled it off with a Feraligatr iirc (all the way until Red). It's mostly about choosing the best starter, and making use of TMs/HMs and the move deleter. It's possible considering that you can finish the game fighting less than 100 trainers, get a ton of TMs, Ethers, and Elixirs. Now to try it on Gen1 with a Venusaur... see, that's impossible XD

Edit: I'm currently testing the challenge I suggested, particularly for Pokemon Emerald as there are not much high-level wild pokemon to use as compared to the newer gens. Assuming that we could still get Lv3x pokemon end-game (with ultra balls, you could still reach level 5x) and a high-level Hariyama on Victory Road - not to mention that you could ask the help of the Legendaries as well! - Steven shouldn't be impossible to beat, even with his levels at 7x. Should be a great challenge to fight him at those levels, too, imo.

Last edited:

11wildy

Me!
Years
Just saying, I did survival challenge on Leafgreen with Charizard (and later Zapdos), Crystal with Feraligatr and Ruby with Swampert. I made it to the end in all 3 cases! And well yes, you do have to use a lot of TMs wisely, save the ones you need the most etc. And you WILL use moves like Leer in the beginning, because it will save you Tackle PP.

Oh well, good luck if you try it, let me know how it goes :P.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
It'll be a while before I try it. But I might :)

I'm guessing you might have to wait for leppa/mystery berries to regrow, and from the fifth generation onwards, it'll be impossible (TM's don't recover PP because they can be used endlessly).

I'm also guessing PokeMarts were allowed?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
I know Gold very very well. But, actually, I was thinking of trying, maybe, HeartGold, or Ruby, or LeafGreen.

Another question: did you run from wild pokemon? Cause I usually never ever do that, but it will probably be necessary if you don't want to waste, say, a slash attack of your Feraligatr against a sentret of level 2 when on your way to the pokemon league...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Oh hey Dexter! if you want another difficult challenge, the new Shin Megami Tensei one has a few requirements that might add some extra difficulty to it.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 8, 2013
Idk someone should try just going through the main game up to Red on HG/SS with just shinies (including shiny starter.) That'd take a LOT of hours, but...kind of interesting if someone did pull off that challenge. Not that I have the patience to participate.. XD;

why is this forum dead

Lol, that may be a lill too crazy for my liking

Whyvile

Toot your horns
Years
This one sounds interesting. I have some questions/comments though...

- Why the type restrictions?
- I think you may want to include some limitations on catching pokemon (like in the nuzlocke challenge), to make it a bit more of a trade-off to sacrifice for an evolution. The nuzlocke challenge itself might be a bit to much though, because then you are already very restricted in numbers and may not want to sacrifice anything at all.
- I would suggest to put in a rule that says the sacrificed pokemon must be of the same level or higher as the to be evolved pokemon. This is to avoid a quick 'catch and sacrifice'.

For the rest, just some refinements of the conditions, make sure there are no gaps in the rules (for example, way it is stated now, the number of pokemon necessary to evolve for the second evolution could be interpreted as one, because you already sacrificed one for the first evolution).

I would love to participate in this challenge someday (though there are others I want to participate in as well, and time is limiting). Keep up the good work:)

<br><br>1) Type Restrictions are me trying to emulate the types of Demons in the games, which are Fire, Elec, Ice, Light, Dark, Wind (Flying), Force (Fighting) . I guess Psychic could count as Light, but who knows :/<br><br>2) Yeah, I think the level-scaling thing would work. The whole thing was inspired by the act of "fusing" demons to make more powerful demons.<br><br>3) Yeah (again), I intended for it to be First Evolution: One pokemon must be sacrificed. Second Evolution: Two pokemon must be sacrificed.<br>

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
<br><br>1) Type Restrictions are me trying to emulate the types of Demons in the games, which are Fire, Elec, Ice, Light, Dark, Wind (Flying), Force (Fighting) . I guess Psychic could count as Light, but who knows :/<br><br>2) Yeah, I think the level-scaling thing would work. The whole thing was inspired by the act of "fusing" demons to make more powerful demons.<br><br>3) Yeah (again), I intended for it to be First Evolution: One pokemon must be sacrificed. Second Evolution: Two pokemon must be sacrificed.<br>

Well, I kinda ended up taking your idea and turning it into something. Hope it was at least half as good as you expected xD

Oh and, all my challenges now feature Fairy types and the Kalos region ^^

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Rhallenge Rideas & Riscussion! [CI&D]

I've been wanting to try the Legendary Trio challenge. But how can I get level 1 legendaries? I can't hack @_@

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I've been wanting to try the Legendary Trio challenge. But how can I get level 1 legendaries? I can't hack @_@

Depends on the version you're playing I guess o.o
For Gens 4 and 5, there's PokéSav. That's how I got mines in.
You could also use the randomizer thingy to get one as a starter o.o
There's also the AR/Gameshark option for some o.o

You just need to google it a bit xD you'll find solutions in no time xD

And I guess this is one challenge best played on emulators xD

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Rhallenge Rideas & Riscussion! [CI&D]

I got a couple of event Pokemon which I got at level 1 such as Mew, Jirachi & Celebi. But I really wanted a Legendary Bird trio lmao. Guess I've gotta find an AR user that is able yo trade? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back