• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon's Emotional Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
This. I also think that the music is the key, as the producers managed to find just the right music per scene, especially those special effects (like the light glowing at the end of PMD1)

I got to the point where I could hear to "A Wish For Peace" once again and man... it broke me to pieces.

Nerketur

PokéScripter
Years
I love the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series!!!XD Although I Do think that all the games end kind of sad...:( Well until you come back of course.:)

Although I Know everyone could agree that in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers Of Sky the special episode "Igglybuff The Prodigy" is VERY sad...Made me cry...:(
Spoiler:

Ohyes. Yes indeed.

PMD is one of those games that can make me cry literally every time. The groovyle part I don't find as sad as some perople do... but when you
Spoiler:
...Oh boy... It's so sad. That part... has gotten me to cry every single freaking time I play it, or even just look through the script text. D= Making a tool is hard sometimes when you go through nostalgia with the game script. At one point, I started, but then refused to go on, moving to a different portion of the script to tackle.

In all honesty, the PMD series in general is why I'm still a huge Pokémon fan at all, now.

It makes you wonder, though... What would have happened... if you (the hero) never became a Pokémon? The story would certainly be different. Very different. I've begun to ponder that. If you never became a Pokémon, or if you never lost your memories. In all, it would still boil down to that timid Pokemon who found a relic Fragment. But it would be a very different story.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
What an amazing yet emotional game. The saddest part was when grovyle left. Sky and Blue remain the only games to bring tears to my eyes. The partner, still edgy and shaky, tries to get the player to finish it, finish it for Grovyle. The music did not help at all, and their little character faces in the box didn't either. To see little tears under pikachu's eyes destroyed me. I wasn't bawling my eyes out though.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2012
Minor spoilers follow, so if you haven't beaten the game, don't click this.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

MrFantasy

Mysterious Trainer
Years
The first time I played through Pokemon MD Explorers of time/darkness/sky (Played and beat them all) I did cry. Every time. It really is an emotional game especially for Pokemon. I'd like to see some aspect of this carry into the main games. Especially the unique story that goes with it. The main games could use something more then "OK you've got your pokedex, your first Pokemon and 5 pokeballs now go into the world." At least that's my opinion.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I really like PMD and especially because they all have the same essential idea but it all plays out completely different.

(Spoilers) You're a human who becomes a Pokemon, form a Rescue/Exploration team with someone, there's a bully team, you somehow become involved in something bigger, you figure out why/how you've transformed, final exploration, you disappear.

However when I think of the two games I don't even think of these as similar other than being the same type of game, really. They're just so cool because Gamefreak could create another world really and basically do what they want, and the storyline really involves you. You know what's going to happen at the end (or at least not when you're playing for the first time, but..) but still you don't know how it's going to get there and you're still sad at the end.

(lol I have a lot to say)

I also like how after the Final Mission there's always more of the "storyline" c:

I've always wondered how you even became a human in that world. Like, wouldn't you have parents and wouldn't being in a world full of Pokemon and just you as a human (assuming) be weird? idk

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I don't know what a Mystery Dungeon is, but after reading this... I Must Buy One.

(just reading your comments are making me cry.)

SD.

B E N N I N G T O N
Years
from the first day i seen pokemon on tv, which is A LONG time ago
i cried

especially during the scene of ash and pikachu getting attacked by those bird pokemon

and in overall i easily can get myself crying just by looking at commercials where they show how animals get abused....

so yeah
i cried a little when i played explorers of time
i find all the pokemon stories , especially these ones yeah
very touching <3​

Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2013
I cried at the ending of Explorers of Sky. I have never cried because of a video game or even a book before. It was the flashback that did it.
I was amazed at how emotional that game got me. I was so relieved when my Eevee came back though.

Years
I LOVE the pokemon MD series at the end of Blue rescue team i was so close to crying i had to close my DS and do something else for 5 minutes then come back so i just made it. :P

After reading all these posts i want to play MD SO BADDDD!!!

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
I've owned PMD Red and Darkness and I thoroughly enjoyed both as much, if not more, than the main series because of its different gameplay and more in-depth story.

silverexorcist

Individualism in Normalcy!
Years
The PMD series' story is fantastic, there is no comparing between them in other Pokemon games--spin-off and main series. Not that the others aren't good, but PMD is clearly more emotionally involved. I think it's because, unlike the other games, you ARE the Pokemon, and they have far more human-like qualities than any of the other games. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Sky, in particular, is my favorite spin-off game because of how the story ties in so perfectly together, especially the five special episodes. Honestly, I probably will never get over my love and joy that I feel playing through that game. From the looks of it, though, Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 may have an in-depth plotline beyond the previous games, but I doubt that they'll compare to PMD. If they make a new PMD for the fifth generation, I'm hoping that they'll add more depth to the recruited Pokemon, giving them more lines and involvement outside of direct gameplay.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
The PMD series has been unique in its own way. It possess the sole trait of making players emotional even after beating the game 10 times. That's why this series is so memorable...

Reactions: Sun

Skybyte

Skybyte Richman
Years
I am going to be honest.....the ending of PMD2 as well as Grovyles sacrifice from the same game are probably the only things that have ever made me legitimately cry out of sadness. Not even death has made me cry, but this game has.

PMD2 was definitely one of the most tear-jerking experiences of my gaming history. You build up an emotional attachment to the characters, especially your partner, and then to Grovyle, and then you have to say goodbye to them both. And Grovyle literally gave everything for the future of that world... It's too much ;-; the music really helped as well. I Don't Want To Say Goodbye is one of the saddest instances of game music I have ever heard.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This thread was last active in 2012. Please don't post in threads over a month old!

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back