• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dark Leaf

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
This is my first time building a deck from scratch so bear with me a little haha, it's currently at 80 cards so I need to cut 20 but I'm having a lot of trouble working out which those should be. It's a Dark/Grass hybrid deck and the bosses are Darkrai and Genesect... and about 500 other things, so yeah - help would be useful haha. I've linked the card version with each Pokémon to avoid confusion.

Pokémon
Pawniard - 4 (x3 + x1)
Plasma Bisharp - 2 (x1 + x1)
Sneasel - 2
Plasma Weavile - 1
Murkrow - 4 (2x + 1x + 1x)
Honchkrow - 2
Sableye - 2 (1x + 1x)
Houndour - 2
Houndoom - 1
Plasma Absol - 2
Dakrai-EX - 1
Bouffalant - 1
Kangaskhan - 2
Roselia - 2 (1x + 1x)
Roserade - 1
Genesect - 2
Tropius - 2
Weedle - 3
Kakuna - 2 (1x + 1x)
Beedril - 1

Trainers
Cheren - 2
Switch - 2
Hypnotoxic Laser - 1
Bebe's Search - 2
Float Stone - 2
Quick Ball - 1
Potion - 2
Energy Search - 2
Energy Retrieval - 2
Pokémon Communication - 2
Rock Guard - 1
Giant Cape - 1
Poké Ball - 1
Rescue Scarf - 1
Felicity's Drawing - 1

Energies
Blend Energy (Grass/Fire/Psychic/Dark) - 2
Special Darkness Energy - 4
Darkness Energy - 4
Grass Energy - 7

Also I don't have cards like N etc to add but if there's any cards which would be particularly useful that I should buy then feel free to suggest them. I feel like I have far too many Pokémon and/or Trainers, but I don't know which to take out because they all seem useful to me. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon but given that this is my first try, don't expect too much paha. Thanks in advanced! :)

(Also in desperate need of a new name. ;p)

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
The best dark grass deck i attempted to build was Darkrai with grass pokemon, which is actually pretty decent imo.

Pokemon:
2 Darkrai Ex
3-1-3 Hydreigon
2 Sableye
2 Tropius
1 Shaymin Ex
1 Virizion Ex

Trainers:
12 Supporters
Max Potions
Dark Patch
Level Balls
Ultra Ball
Tool Scrapper
Silver Bangle
Other Stuff

Energy: A little too much energy maybe less dark.
4 Blend
2 Prism
6 Dark

Basic idea is to be able to free retreat with dark energy, move energy around, max potion damage away, and prevent status effects. Near end game you can drop shaymin ex, and charge it with dark trance in one turn.

Tropius helps start, and sableye recycles stuff. Though either of these 2 could be taken out for more darkrai or absol.

The only problem is dark patch is kind of junk in this deck and maybe exp share might be better way of energy "acceleration". There also isnt too many good basic grass attackers to make use of prism energy, which is needed to make this deck more useable. Though if you take out tropius, you dont really need to have the prism energy.

Another thing you could try is adding some outragers to this deck as well with frozen city to be able to place the damage on those pokemon and move the energy around to where you need it. This also does damage to your opponent when they attach energy. Then when you need to you can switch in the outrager and hit for up to 140 damage for 2 energy, which when it goes down next turn you get the energy back with exp share and only lose 1 prize. This also gives you the possibility of electric, fire and water atttackers in the 3 outragers for only colorless energy.

Fairy Tale~

Straight Outta Compton
Years
Ok lets start with the sneasel and weavle if you are only gona have only one stage one and two basic it wont work and you dont need them anyways you should only have 4 lines of pokemon example darkrai ex 4 and genesect 4 and absole 2 ok and you should use only
12 energy exemple dark energy 7 grass 5 and the rest should be trainers and for start use basic trainers like catcher and skyla like 4 of each and cheren plays a big part to so take my advice and use it okay?

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
Anyway, its hard to say if you can make a viable deck with what you have. Mostly because you have a lot of old cards that i dont really know how to make work properly or how they work against other unlimited decks.

If its for modified deck, you have to take out like half of the cards here.

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
Technically yes, but i still feel like you, yourself still need to work on deck building.

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
They need to state if its modified or otherwise. If its unlimited i cant help.

Years
Which of these 'mons are you most looking to play with? See if you can assemble thicker evolution lines for them, making them the same number all the way through instead of having a pyramid shaped evolution line if you can.

I'd give something more in depth but my brain has just completely shut down for the night.

I'm guessing it's probably an Unlimited format deck.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Thanks for the help so far guys! It's not supposed to be unlimited, hence the needing to remove 20 cards bit haha. I guess the main ones I want to focus on are Darkrai, Genesect, Bisharp, Honchkrow, Beedrill and Roserade... Though what's the appeal of having 4 of each Pokémon in an evolutionary line? Surely you wouldn't want to be drawing Beedrill as often as a Weedle?

Years
Generally, the final stage of the evolutionary line is the most critical to your strategy, and having as many of them as you do the earlier stages 1) ensures that it is not prized on you, 2) that you have no wasted plays of the earlier stages, 3) provides the most consistency for whatever your strategy ends up being, because it ensures that you get your strategy activated each time you bring a lower stage Pokemon to the field. Having fewer of the final stage means that you'll be stuck with some easy prizes on your bench in the form of their earlier stages, because the Pokemon TCG is overflowing with draw-power cards, and that means that you want to be swimming in all the necessary pieces whenever possible rather than being stuck waiting on the last piece, because it's only a matter of time before you play someone who will be using the draw-power odds to their advantage.
tl;dr: The reason is because you want to ensure you get Beedrill before you need it, rather than later, because you will get burned if you don't get the 'mon you need before or when you need it. Minimizes the amount of times things are left up to chance. You want at least one of the pieces so you can use your draw-power Trainers to get the other pieces.

Side note: usually the middle stage is cut down on in 3 stage lines because many people run between 2 and 4 Rare Candy if their using the 3 stage lines.

That's far too many Pokemon to want to focus on, since it's not got a singular strategic focus. You'll want to cut it down to 2 or 3. Darkrai is far and away the most useful of those 6. Profen's list is a good idea for a Grass/Dark deck if you've got the resources to be building something that's tournament legal.

And, from personal experience in TCGs that require an exact number of cards in a deck in the official rules (like Pokemon and its mandate of 60), some casual players will whine if your count isn't exactly 60.

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
If you want a good cheap deck. Go for straight beedrill. Its pretty good. Though dark does nothing for it, especially darkrai. It just takes up space and it rather be some other Ex like Virizion. I have a pretty solid beedrill deck atm and only really loses badly to virizion decks.

Either way the most expensive card you NEED is max potion, other than that everything is moderately cheap, it runs low energy, with high damage output with virbank and silver bangle. Its also really fast and can be hitting for 120 turn 2 against Exs and it forces switches or knockout via poison.

Back