• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Storyline?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Personally, when I play certain video games like the Tales series, the story attracts me more into playing them. Even some fighting games, but, of course I do more fighting than story mode. But I digress!

What would you say was the best storyline from any video game you've played? Why do you like that particular story line? If it had some sort of sequel, did you like how the storyline was sort of.. changed?

TY

Imo, StarCraft 1 had the best storyline in its campaign, especially since it dragged you from one story into another which all were related to each other. The Zerg campaign focused on killing the Protoss and then you unlocked the Protoss campaign in which you have to retake your lost world from the Zerg... It was so addicting to play and i got sucked into this game so much... I now play it on SC2 thanks to some great people who ported the SC1 story into SC2

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
3 words. "Would you kindly?"

The first Bioshock. Was amazing. It has an ending where you're like; "Nothing can top this."

It had a really good. Like. Conclusion. It wrapped up well. And even though there's Bioshock 2? It would of still been amazing with just the first game.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Best storyline? I'd have to say the first Bioshock. The way the story was told using the city of Rapture was amazing, and the whole thing from start to end was a fantastic experience. The characters, even the ones who you didn't meet, were all memorable and made you think.

The second game just didn't cut it for me. Oh hey, you're a Big Daddy now! Let's get rid of the horror element completely and focus on TEH GUNZ.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Well, I didn't play the first two Bishocks but Infinite definitely had a strong storyline as well. The plot-twists were unreal imo and very well done too.

Outside of Bishock, I thought L.A Noire had a good story to tell too, especially with all those cases and such. Another mention goes to Heavy Rain.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Yeah, I heard the Bioshock storyline was amazing, if someone wants to fill me in in detail. :D

Hm, I really love the Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss storylines. The games were pretty amazing to play, solely because the plots in them are outstanding - more aside from the classic "the fate of the world lies with you", it just has something more to them... I can't quite explain it yet, but, they really done great detail with this!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Dunno... I play the games especially because of storylines so I like everyone...
But I need to choose one, right...?
I will say Persona 3 and Persona 4. Persona 3 because it was absolutely new to me and all twists were done very well. And Persona 4 because of how main characters blended into story.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Woh so many recent games I feel like the odd one out.

Chrono Trigger it had beautiful music and the storyline was fantastic along with the true jRPG feel to it. Alot of time travel games are not told to well but this was just to fantastic also it was made by the guys who brought us Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy but put together. Dragon Quest is the most popular game in Japan they have a law that states it cannot be released on a work day, Final Fantasy on the other hand well they were doing well at the time so when the best of Enix and Squaresoft came together as a team they pulled it off so well it was as if it was a game equivalent to Hayao Miyazaki's films who did heavily influence Akira Toryama (the dragon ball z guy who works on all the DQ games). The story line was interesting and it made me want to talk to everyone in-case they gave me some sort of back story to certain things. I also enjoyed the music.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
For me, it's kind of impossible to say what video game had the best story. xD Every storyline are different and unique in their own way, which make them so interesting and have us attached to them. One of favorite storyline, though, would have to be the one from Assassin's Creed II. You start off the game with a young, seventeen-year-old man who calls him Ezio Auditore. At the very beginning, his father and brother, two of his closest people, get executed thanks to some false accusations made by a certain someone—a traitor to their family. He couldn't get Ezio's mom and sister killed though, because he couldn't think of a good enough reason why they should also be executed. Eventually, Auditore eventually went to his uncle, Mario. He needed help, and some ideas on how to seek to seek revenge. Eventually, with the aid of Mario, he was able to turn into an assassin. With his newly-acquired assassination skills, he eventually kills the traitor. This is just the beginning though, as this kill causes him a lot of trouble and drags him deeper into the story.

To be honest, I could go on and on about AC II. I'll just stop here, though. d: I've already spoiled the game for some of you quite a bit, but if I don't stop, I'll end up spoiling it even more. Haha.

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Seeing as you, LGDArm, have Jinxie as your avatar, I'm sure you know how good the Ace Attorney storylines are. Well for me at least, since the gameplay isn't exactly exhilarating, the story is what brings me back. Trials and Tribulations was the best out of all of the games, and I think the 1,4,5 cases really coincided with each other nicely. Granted the immediate sequel Apollo Justice detailed a bit of the story after T&T, it would've been nice to have some of the other characters return, which they did try to do in Dual Destinies.

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
Years
My opinion GTA series had best storylines ever.I know - RPG games has better storylines,but in other hand in Action games - GTA ( best criminal storylines )

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
The best storyline to me is Final Fantasy VI (or III in the U.S).The story is so gripping and heart-breaking, but yet it manages to sprinkle some fun (Ultros, anybody?). Almost all of the characters have some struggle, and I like a whole bunch of them. AND DAT FINAL BOSS.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Hotel Dusk. It's so mature, gripping and in a sense very relaxing. It kinda falls apart right at the end but I don't care, the rest of the game is very good. It has an atmosphere like no other.
I can't leave the zaniness of Ace Attorney left unmentioned either, even if the series tends to get tremendously inconsistent.

And here's a curve ball answer: Super Metroid. Bar the prologue, there's pretty much no narrative in the game. But it does something nearly every game should try to do: Storytelling using the environments, atmosphere and exploration. The game doesn't tell you the story, it leaves it up to you to deduce through everything you experience. Everything and anything in the game is all up to you, there's no one to help you or tell you where to go, and this makes all the unsettling images and locations you find all the more effective and it really blends perfectly with the theme of isolation the game sets up. No other game did this as perfectly as Super Metroid did and it should be a huge lesson in game design imo.

Last edited:
Back