• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM]Transparent Textboxes

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
In order to make YES/NO boxes or showpokepics (for mugshots) transparent, use a new activation routine: here!
This routine is unfortunatly 110 bytes long, so you must move your deactivation routine to another place.. in this example I moved it just right behind the activation routine:
Spoiler:

This results in a new deactivation offset, 750138 (in script callasm 0x750139; +1)

Here you see some screens =)

Spoiler:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
In order to make YES/NO boxes or showpokepics (for mugshots) transparent, use a new activation routine: here!
This routine is unfortunatly 110 bytes long, so you must move your deactivation routine to another place.. in this example I moved it just right behind the activation routine:
Spoiler:

This results in a new deactivation offset, 750138 (in script callasm 0x750139; +1)

Here you see some screens =)

Spoiler:

This one works as well! And what's better is it covers for the old activation code so the showpokepic and yes/no boxes don't have to be called separately from the regular message box. I give it a 5/5 ;)

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
If you want, you can also suggest other things :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
If you want, you can also suggest other things :)

Lol well do you know how to add more pokedex slots? Because that sure would be nice :P I don't think there is a tutorial on that yet and I want to add 25 new pokemon that can be caught, however I don't have any pokedex slots for them :P

If you could make a tutorial on that, that would be great! :P

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
If its possible without any further engine hack, sure.
But my question belonged to Transparency xD

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I'm not sure if this is an error with the "showpokepic" command or the ASM code, but sometimes this appears:

Spoiler:

The images didn't show up weird like this before I started calling the ASM code for the transparency. Any ideas?

BCKC

A nobody, just like you.
Years
Is it possible to have transparent textboxes always on?
Changing all my scripts to include transparent textboxes seems a bit tedious...

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
I'm not sure if this is an error with the "showpokepic" command or the ASM code, but sometimes this appears:

Spoiler:

The images didn't show up weird like this before I started calling the ASM code for the transparency. Any ideas?

Mine seems fine, and I'm lovin' it. No idea what happened there.
Could you check your sprite?

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
Is it possible to have transparent textboxes always on?
Changing all my scripts to include transparent textboxes seems a bit tedious...

You have to make a built-in routine into the msgbox, which is imo too hard for beginners, so I
wrote a tutorial that everyone can understand.. Well maybe I add something in the future.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
I think there are a few things you need to fix in your tutorial

for example, you tell us to paste the deactivation code in 750134, while the activation code goes all the way from 750020 to 750138. So I am assuming we put the deactivation code at 750139-750239?

Also when we are calling the deactivation code, should we be calling it still at 750135 or should we call it at 750139?

Ws just curious :P

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
I still didnt make my tut equal to my updates.. will do it a bit later.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Mine seems fine, and I'm lovin' it. No idea what happened there.
Could you check your sprite?

I've been experimenting with it, and it seems that everything is fine on my part. It's just that whenever the transparency is activated for the pokepic, the sprite's palette is messed up. This doesn't happen every time, but it is very common. I'd say the palette parts of the ASM code are messing with the sprite's palette when changing the textbox to the greyish color.

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
The strange thing is, that this isnt happening for me.. :/

And why should it even happen by the way?
My routine changes pal14 and 15 which are ONLY for the textbox..

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
The strange thing is, that this isnt happening for me.. :/

And why should it even happen by the way?
My routine changes pal14 and 15 which are ONLY for the textbox..

It happens with me too though :/

What happens is the first time I talk to the NPC and the pokepic pops up, the palette of my pokepic is the same palette as palette0 of my tileset. However the second time I try to view my pokepic, it's completely fine.

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
Lol i'm a silly guy.
The DMA3 copies for example charmanders palette to our 0x5XXXXXX RAM offsets.
Problem: My routine MUST deactivate DMA3 for showing correctly.
Solution: At the beginning, disable DMA3, at the end of the ASM code activate it again.

-> longer activation routine and shorter deactivation one.

Unpretty solution for now:

before showpokepic, set "writebytetooffset 0x40 0x2037AC0"

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Lol i'm a silly guy.
The DMA3 copies for example charmanders palette to our 0x5XXXXXX RAM offsets.
Problem: My routine MUST deactivate DMA3 for showing correctly.
Solution: At the beginning, disable DMA3, at the end of the ASM code activate it again.

-> longer activation routine and shorter deactivation one.

Unpretty solution for now:

before showpokepic, set "writebytetooffset 0x40 0x2037AC0"

Will there be another update to your custom ASM code?

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
If its possible to include that all in one, then yes. ;)

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
I think when you get all this sorted out, you should rerelease an updated version of the tutorial with all the fixes :P But that's just my opinion, you already did enough work as it as and if you dont want to you dont have to :P

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
Sure I will update it, but I'm just such lack of time at the moment, that I don't even come to hacking for my teams or my own project :(

Back