Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

View Poll Results:

I am...

Single

77 74.04%

Dating someone

22 21.15%

Engaged

4 3.85%

Married

1 0.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76    
Old November 18th, 2013 (1:38 PM).
Limerent's Avatar
Limerent Limerent is offline
  • Platinum Tier
 
Join Date: May 2013
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 1,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
Gahh, this is what my friends tell me, but flirting's just weird to me. I don't see him enough to get these chances and it's not like I hang out with him. I'm hoping we have a class together next semester, but I'm not sure yet (we've had like four classes together because he's in my major, but a year below me). I just know that he didn't sign up for one of the ones I'm taking, which is of course the class with the group project. And I blew the ball last year when I had a class with him with a project and couldn't bring myself to ask him to be in my group. :/

Don't flirt then, just ask casually 'Hey ............, would you like to hang out sometime?' Thing is, don't allow yourself into the traditional gender roles of a relationship, being a shy, awkward girl makes it more difficult, especially when guys are expected to be the strong, confident ones who are essentially managing everything like you're an object to be transported around. Males are expected to do the ask out, arrange the first date, entertain the girl with their charm etc. It's a huge amount of pressure which many simply can't handle, and everything falls apart. It's also not very healthy if you want to be mature adults with an even status quo in the relationship.

So I'd suggest you just casually ask him face to face whether he'd like to go out with you sometime. My advice is you organise this first 'date' yourself, don't leave it to the guy on the first time, quite simply he will fumble the planning. 2nd time you can ask him to make arrangements so you both feel you're a part of this Go somewhere fun, not confronting and awkward like two people sitting face to face at a romantic restaurant would be. Movies, the zoo, ice skating, these are all good choices. You could even just go to each others houses and play Pokemon, watch a DVD, eat lunch etc.

Also, since you seem rather shy, think "what do I lose from asking this guy in a casual fashion to hang out?" The answer is nothing! If he says no for whatever reason just smile and say "Ok then, some other time". You haven't made a fool of yourself, this is all very carefree and normal activity you're partaking in Basically you just want to do something as friends together, if the guy likes you things will escalate naturally.

__________________

Want to lose brain cells? What do you do? Alcohol, heroin, repeatedly bashing your head against a brick wall? Try tumblr

Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #77    
Old November 18th, 2013 (1:50 PM).
KittenKoder's Avatar
KittenKoder KittenKoder is offline
I Am No One Else
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Seattle
    Age: 42
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 313

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JNathan View Post
    Hmm, asexual people can be in love or dating someone. They still have emotions, right? So I don't see why an asexual couldn't be in love?

    Emotions, yes, sexual attractions, no. Very few asexual people pair up, and then it's only with other asexual people, due to the fact that there will not be any sex involved. Even then, it's not "dating," as it is generally used, but really just best friends. Sometimes they will call it dating, makes the sexual people less apprehensive for some reason, but there is no mating, no breeding, no petting involved, if there was, they'd not be asexual.

    Many people talk of being "abstinent," but an asexual cannot be abstinent, there is nothing to abstain from. There is literally no sexual desires or attractions at all.

    __________________

    If you add me, please message me so I can reciprocate. No, garbage does not make a cute Pokemon, and it smells funny.

    Join me on IRC, synirc.net #PokemonTactics, for friendly discussions on tactics and strategies.

    Reply With Quote
      #78    
    Old November 18th, 2013 (2:02 PM).
    Dakotah's Avatar
    Dakotah Dakotah is offline
       
      Join Date: Aug 2010
      Posts: 903

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by KittenKoder View Post
      Emotions, yes, sexual attractions, no. Very few asexual people pair up, and then it's only with other asexual people, due to the fact that there will not be any sex involved. Even then, it's not "dating," as it is generally used, but really just best friends. Sometimes they will call it dating, makes the sexual people less apprehensive for some reason, but there is no mating, no breeding, no petting involved, if there was, they'd not be asexual.

      Many people talk of being "abstinent," but an asexual cannot be abstinent, there is nothing to abstain from. There is literally no sexual desires or attractions at all.

      Yes, asexuals that do not engage in any type of sex abstain from sex. Abstinence by its very definition is the willful avoidance of sexual activity. A person does not have to have sexual attraction in order to engage in sexual activity. Just because you choose to abstain from sex does not mean you are incapable of having sex. Put another way, if people only had sex with the people they were attracted to there would be a whole lot less porn out there.

      __________________

      DAKOTAH
      Personal Website
      YouTube Channel

      1693-4093-6753
      Normal Safari
      Lillipup / Audino / Ditto

      "...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi

      Reply With Quote
        #79    
      Old November 18th, 2013 (2:24 PM).
      KittenKoder's Avatar
      KittenKoder KittenKoder is offline
      I Am No One Else
         
        Join Date: Oct 2013
        Location: Seattle
        Age: 42
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 313

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
        Yes, asexuals that do not engage in any type of sex abstain from sex. Abstinence by its very definition is the willful avoidance of sexual activity. A person does not have to have sexual attraction in order to engage in sexual activity. Just because you choose to abstain from sex does not mean you are incapable of having sex. Put another way, if people only had sex with the people they were attracted to there would be a whole lot less porn out there.

        To abstain there must be a desire to do it, there is nothing willful about it, we have absolutely no attraction to anything in a sexual manner, nor do we gain any pleasure from sexual activity of any sort. Nothing to abstain from, nothing to willfully resist or avoid. The label of "asexual" for species that have a form of sexual reproduction is used precisely for those of us lacking this drive at all. There is no choice involved, and that's where you are misunderstanding. I cannot think of an analogy to use to describe it, it's a complete absence of any desire or drive for anything sexual. To me, sex, sexuality, sexual activity, attractions, "love," affections of another, have as much importance to me as what the telemarketer is wearing when they call me.

        Sure, how other people think and feel fascinates me, but only in a scientific and psychological way.

        Reply With Quote
          #80    
        Old November 18th, 2013 (3:22 PM).
        hughes's Avatar
        hughes hughes is offline
           
          Join Date: Jan 2013
          Location: Northeast US
          Age: 24
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Quirky
          Posts: 521

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by O07_eleven View Post
          Don't flirt then, just ask casually 'Hey ............, would you like to hang out sometime?' Thing is, don't allow yourself into the traditional gender roles of a relationship, being a shy, awkward girl makes it more difficult, especially when guys are expected to be the strong, confident ones who are essentially managing everything like you're an object to be transported around. Males are expected to do the ask out, arrange the first date, entertain the girl with their charm etc. It's a huge amount of pressure which many simply can't handle, and everything falls apart. It's also not very healthy if you want to be mature adults with an even status quo in the relationship.

          So I'd suggest you just casually ask him face to face whether he'd like to go out with you sometime. My advice is you organise this first 'date' yourself, don't leave it to the guy on the first time, quite simply he will fumble the planning. 2nd time you can ask him to make arrangements so you both feel you're a part of this Go somewhere fun, not confronting and awkward like two people sitting face to face at a romantic restaurant would be. Movies, the zoo, ice skating, these are all good choices. You could even just go to each others houses and play Pokemon, watch a DVD, eat lunch etc.

          Also, since you seem rather shy, think "what do I lose from asking this guy in a casual fashion to hang out?" The answer is nothing! If he says no for whatever reason just smile and say "Ok then, some other time". You haven't made a fool of yourself, this is all very carefree and normal activity you're partaking in Basically you just want to do something as friends together, if the guy likes you things will escalate naturally.

          Yeah, given what I've gathered from our conversations, I know I'm going to have to make the first move. It's just getting to a point where I feel comfortable and confident enough to do that. I'm just a person that naturally assumes that if he doesn't try to initiate conversation or whatever, it means he's not interested. But I know that's not true, solely because I would act the same way. It's just very frustrating.

          __________________


          Friend Safari:

          My Trade Shop: Amestris Trade Shop & Breeding Services
          My Pokemon Tumblr: Lumiose Cafe

          Reply With Quote
            #81    
          Old November 18th, 2013 (4:31 PM).
          Dakotah's Avatar
          Dakotah Dakotah is offline
             
            Join Date: Aug 2010
            Posts: 903

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by KittenKoder View Post
            To abstain there must be a desire to do it, there is nothing willful about it, we have absolutely no attraction to anything in a sexual manner, nor do we gain any pleasure from sexual activity of any sort. Nothing to abstain from, nothing to willfully resist or avoid. The label of "asexual" for species that have a form of sexual reproduction is used precisely for those of us lacking this drive at all. There is no choice involved, and that's where you are misunderstanding. I cannot think of an analogy to use to describe it, it's a complete absence of any desire or drive for anything sexual. To me, sex, sexuality, sexual activity, attractions, "love," affections of another, have as much importance to me as what the telemarketer is wearing when they call me.

            KittenKoder, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that not engaging in sexual activity due to your sexual orientation is not a choice, but that's not exactly true, is it? We all make conscious decisions on our actions, what we choose to do or choose not to do. You are making a choice by not engaging in any sexual act, whether you see that or not. So yes, you do abstain from sex because you don't have sex, which is the very definition of abstinence that I quoted. That definition doesn't have anything to do with feelings, only actions.

            I am a gay man. that means by nature I am sexually attracted to, and have sex with, other males. But my sexual orientation does not govern the choices that I make. I can, if I so choose, have sex with a woman. I just have no desire to. A point of fact, I have in the past been intimate with a woman, even though I had no attraction for her or derived any pleasure from her. I made a choice during a time in my life that I rejected the fact that I was gay. Attraction had nothing to do with my choice. My sexual orientation had nothing to do with my choice. It was a choice that I made that I take responsibility for.

            I feel, based on the conversations I've had with other asexuals, that I should point out that some asexuals do in fact have sex. They felt no attraction for their partner, nor derived any pleasure from the act, but they do it anyway for various personal reasons. Some just to try it out; some because they are pressured by family to continue the family line; and others... well... because they're paid to do it.

            I'm glad that you're happy in your life, but please do the common courtesy of refraining from speaking for others. Your experiences, your thoughts and your feelings are yours alone. They are unique and cannot be applied to anyone else. Not even other asexuals.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by KittenKoder View Post
            Sure, how other people think and feel fascinates me, but only in a scientific and psychological way.

            Sadly, I fear that you may garner little understanding because you yourself, self-admittedly, are incapable of forming those types of bonds. You can study the mechanics of it all you want, but it won't lead to understanding. True understanding cannot be gained unless it is personally experienced.

            Reply With Quote
              #82    
            Old November 18th, 2013 (5:02 PM).
            Kanzler's Avatar
            Kanzler Kanzler is offline
            naughty biscotti
            • Crystal Tier
             
            Join Date: Jul 2008
            Location: Toronto
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 5,897

            Actually, Jay, I'd argue that this:

            Quote:
            KittenKoder, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that not engaging in sexual activity due to your sexual orientation is not a choice, but that's not exactly true, is it? We all make conscious decisions on our actions, what we choose to do or choose not to do. You are making a choice by not engaging in any sexual act, whether you see that or not. So yes, you do abstain from sex because you don't have sex, which is the very definition of abstinence that I quoted. That definition doesn't have anything to do with feelings, only actions.

            ... is the assumption. How can you be sure that all our actions are conscious decisions? Personally, I've spent the recent part of my life grappling with that question. In my personal observation, not deciding to do something is not the same as deciding not to do something. Not everything in this world can be reduced to a choice, that to me is oversimplifying. I actually made a blog post on this very subject today, coincidentally.

            Even though my sexuality is nowhere close to KittenKoder's, I can empathize with where she's coming from. Where she cannot think of an analogy to describe it, I'll try. Think of atheism, the hundreds of millions of people that live in godless countries. They live without god, in the absence of god, yet they haven't made the conscious decision not to live with god. Compare this with atheists who consciously express their disbelief in god. With this analogy I am only trying to demonstrate that 'not' doing something can be the result of a non-choice. We can extend the analogy to the inverse and propose that we can be 'doing' something without choosing to do so. That too I see intuitively - I call it good habits Choice is a very tricky concept, but one thing I can argue strongly about it is that it is not black and white.

            Personally, I can attribute my lack of sexual activity to choice and non-choice factors. The fact that there haven't been many opportunities I think we can agree is a non-choice factor. The fact that I haven't pursued opportunities, I'd say, can be attribute to both choice and non-choice factors. Sometimes I ask myself "should I"? and answer no - that would be a conscious choice, but what about all those other times? Perhaps if you replaced me with another person in some of my social scenarios it would have led to a sexual encounter - but I didn't act did I? Sexuality, at least for me, is not continually inhibited and only presents itself when I turn the inhibitions off. I think for me I have to be turned on before the inhibitions come off

            Okay that probably just destroyed all the seriousness in my post, but my point is that our actions are as much governed by non-choices as they are by conscious actions. Sexual behaviours are reaction to sexual stimuli. If the same stimuli isn't perceived as sexual, then why would there be sexual behaviour - or in other words, a reason to make a choice in the first place?

            Also, this thread got serious.

            Reply With Quote
              #83    
            Old November 18th, 2013 (5:02 PM).
            AwesomeRob's Avatar
            AwesomeRob AwesomeRob is offline
            Congrats!
               
              Join Date: Nov 2013
              Location: Kalos
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Naughty
              Posts: 37

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by JNathan View Post
              I've been single since I was born and I'm not really happy with this. Sometimes, I feel rather lonely and hope I had a special someone but I'm too clumsy around girls
              This is exactly how I feel.

              __________________

              I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

              Reply With Quote
                #84    
              Old November 18th, 2013 (6:31 PM).
              Dakotah's Avatar
              Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2010
                Posts: 903

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
                Actually, Jay, I'd argue that this... is the assumption. How can you be sure that all our actions are conscious decisions? Personally, I've spent the recent part of my life grappling with that question. In my personal observation, not deciding to do something is not the same as deciding not to do something. Not everything in this world can be reduced to a choice, that to me is oversimplifying. I actually made a blog post on this very subject today, coincidentally.

                You see, I've come to regard failing to choose a choice in of itself. It's a choice of inaction vrs. action. I've been alive on this planet long enough to see the results of people choosing not to act and then failing to take responsibility for the consequences. It leaves me shaking my head.

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
                Even though my sexuality is nowhere close to KittenKoder's, I can empathize with where she's coming from. Where she cannot think of an analogy to describe it, I'll try. Think of atheism, the hundreds of millions of people that live in godless countries. They live without god, in the absence of god, yet they haven't made the conscious decision not to live with god.

                You see, herein lies the problem with your analogy. They have made that decision. All cultures on this planet, in one form or another, have had to deal with spirituality and its impact on society. It may not involve a God per se, but some sort of a belief in a higher power has existed throughout all of human history and in every civilization--including those that are atheistic. KittenKoder is cognizant of her sexuality. For her the decision is an informed one. She chooses not to engage in sex of any kind because it is unappealing to her, but that is a choice that she makes. She can easily make a choice to have sex despite being asexual. Again, it's a choice of inaction vrs. action. It's not a question of can't, it's a question of won't.

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
                With this analogy I am only trying to demonstrate that 'not' doing something can be the result of a non-choice. We can extend the analogy to the inverse and propose that we can be 'doing' something without choosing to do so. That too I see intuitively - I call it good habits Choice is a very tricky concept, but one thing I can argue strongly about it is that it is not black and white.

                And yet, in my experience, inaction is as much a choice as action. The consequences of which are very real.

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
                Personally, I can attribute my lack of sexual activity to choice and non-choice factors. The fact that there haven't been many opportunities I think we can agree is a non-choice factor.

                The decisions we make are wholly based on what we know. Ignorance inhibits our ability to make choices. So those opportunities you speak of could very well have arisen, but you may not have recognized them for what they were. Had you recognized them, you very well could have had the opportunity to make a conscious choice to either take advantage of the opportunity or to ignore it.

                Reply With Quote
                  #85    
                Old November 18th, 2013 (7:19 PM).
                Kanzler's Avatar
                Kanzler Kanzler is offline
                naughty biscotti
                • Crystal Tier
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2008
                Location: Toronto
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 5,897

                Why aren't you open to the possibility that she just simply doesn't respond to things in a sexual manner? You can be aware that you don't respond to things, but it doesn't make it a choice.

                Being straight, I don't wake up every day and think about my choice not to have sex with men or whatever. Men, as sexual objects, aren't really a conscious part of my psyche. If I'm pushed to say no, then I'll say no - but I think calling it a choice really misses the idea that it isn't something I think about. We're (KittenKoder and I) describing life as we live it. If pushed to do so, then yes, I suppose I will make a conscious choice every chance I get. But that's not the world as I see it, that would be someone else pushing me to see the world as they see it and interpreting my action as something that makes sense to them. I call something disinterest, you call it ignorance. You say "had I recognized them" but the fact of the matter is I didn't and I guess I still don't. And I think it's important to recognize that, because that is a dimension of sexuality and romance as well.

                I think you're imposing the way you view the world on other people's experiences. I don't think KittenKoder's opinion, no, experience is mistaken at all - I find it to be quite genuine. I don't think we should discount somebody else's perspective just because it's different and doesn't fit our way of thinking.

                Reply With Quote
                  #86    
                Old November 18th, 2013 (9:49 PM).
                Honest's Avatar
                Honest Honest is offline
                شكرا
                • Crystal Tier
                 
                Join Date: Sep 2008
                Location: New York City
                Age: 21
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Jolly
                Posts: 11,786

                Jesus, talk about walls of text.

                For whomever asked for help getting to go on a date with a guy, flirting might be awkward, but you won't get anywhere without being clos(er) and social. D:

                __________________

                he did it, not me.

                Reply With Quote
                  #87    
                Old November 18th, 2013 (9:53 PM).
                pixelrynn's Avatar
                pixelrynn pixelrynn is offline
                SHSL Writer
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2013
                  Location: Littleroot Town
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Lonely
                  Posts: 15

                  I'm single and I probably will be forever. I mean, I have crushes on people but they never like me back...
                  It seems I'm destined to be alone, but I don't lament it. I think I function better by myself.

                  __________________

                  I'm a Super High School Level Writer
                  “There’s no such thing as winning or losing. There is won and there is lost, there is victory and defeat. There are absolutes. Everything in between is still left to fight for. Serpine will have won only when there is no one left to stand against him. Until then, there is only the struggle, because tides do what tides do–they turn.”
                  ― Derek Landy, Skulduggery Pleasant

                  Reply With Quote
                    #88    
                  Old November 18th, 2013 (10:30 PM).
                  droomph's Avatar
                  droomph droomph is offline

                  weeb

                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Sep 2011
                  Location: nowhere spectacular
                  Age: 20
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Impish
                  Posts: 4,291

                  idk man girls are weird

                  boys are weird too

                  But yeah, I don't feel like all this stuff is for me. Just too much drama if I go either way :p

                  __________________

                  did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
                  o i forgot 5
                  uraqt

                  Reply With Quote
                    #89    
                  Old November 19th, 2013 (12:23 AM).
                  Magic Christmas Lights's Avatar
                  Magic Christmas Lights Magic Christmas Lights is offline
                  Magic Manic
                     
                    Join Date: Feb 2013
                    Location: DETROIT
                    Age: 26
                    Gender: Female
                    Nature: Quirky
                    Posts: 293

                    I recently got out of a relationship. It was tough, but not the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I have a new person of interest now~

                    Reply With Quote
                      #90    
                    Old November 19th, 2013 (4:13 AM).
                    Dakotah's Avatar
                    Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2010
                      Posts: 903

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
                      Why aren't you open to the possibility that she just simply doesn't respond to things in a sexual manner? You can be aware that you don't respond to things, but it doesn't make it a choice.

                      Being aware of your feelings and making a choice to do something, or not do something, are two different things. Of course she doesn't respond to things in a sexual manner. She's asexual. I get that. I know that. My only point is that it is still a choice on her part not to take a particular action.

                      You and I probably approach the concept of choice in a different way. For me inaction and action are the same where choice is concerned. That's just been my experience.

                      Reply With Quote
                        #91    
                      Old November 19th, 2013 (4:29 AM).
                      KittenKoder's Avatar
                      KittenKoder KittenKoder is offline
                      I Am No One Else
                         
                        Join Date: Oct 2013
                        Location: Seattle
                        Age: 42
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Calm
                        Posts: 313

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
                        KittenKoder, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that not engaging in sexual activity due to your sexual orientation is not a choice, but that's not exactly true, is it? We all make conscious decisions on our actions, what we choose to do or choose not to do. You are making a choice by not engaging in any sexual act, whether you see that or not. So yes, you do abstain from sex because you don't have sex, which is the very definition of abstinence that I quoted. That definition doesn't have anything to do with feelings, only actions.

                        I am a gay man. that means by nature I am sexually attracted to, and have sex with, other males. But my sexual orientation does not govern the choices that I make. I can, if I so choose, have sex with a woman. I just have no desire to. A point of fact, I have in the past been intimate with a woman, even though I had no attraction for her or derived any pleasure from her. I made a choice during a time in my life that I rejected the fact that I was gay. Attraction had nothing to do with my choice. My sexual orientation had nothing to do with my choice. It was a choice that I made that I take responsibility for.

                        I feel, based on the conversations I've had with other asexuals, that I should point out that some asexuals do in fact have sex. They felt no attraction for their partner, nor derived any pleasure from the act, but they do it anyway for various personal reasons. Some just to try it out; some because they are pressured by family to continue the family line; and others... well... because they're paid to do it.

                        I'm glad that you're happy in your life, but please do the common courtesy of refraining from speaking for others. Your experiences, your thoughts and your feelings are yours alone. They are unique and cannot be applied to anyone else. Not even other asexuals.

                        Sadly, I fear that you may garner little understanding because you yourself, self-admittedly, are incapable of forming those types of bonds. You can study the mechanics of it all you want, but it won't lead to understanding. True understanding cannot be gained unless it is personally experienced.

                        To offer a synapse of what you are saying here: You know nothing of genetics.

                        Asexual is not an orientation, first of all, and what an organism is attracted to is not a conscious choice at all, we have understood what drives this for a very long time. Someone who chooses to avoid sex is not asexual, it's that simple. Someone who chooses to be attracted to something they are not attracted to is lying to themselves as well, it's that simple. Your genetics govern a lot about what you are, the only thing your genetics do not govern is who you are.

                        Reply With Quote
                          #92    
                        Old November 19th, 2013 (4:33 AM).
                        gimmepie's Avatar
                        gimmepie gimmepie is offline

                        Splash!!!

                        • Moderator
                        • Platinum Tier
                        • EOEvent Organizer
                        • PokéCommunity Daily
                         
                        Join Date: May 2012
                        Location: Australia
                        Age: 21
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Mild
                        Posts: 15,971

                        @Kitten

                        what he is saying is that you are still physically capable of the act, you just have no reason or motivation for doing so. There is nothing actually preventing you from doing so other than your own lack of interest.

                        It has nothing to do with orientation or genetics or anything. He is just simply saying that you don't engage in the act willingly, because you have no desire to, but that you still have the ability to do so.

                        __________________

                        Reply With Quote
                          #93    
                        Old November 19th, 2013 (4:35 AM). Edited November 19th, 2013 by KittenKoder.
                        KittenKoder's Avatar
                        KittenKoder KittenKoder is offline
                        I Am No One Else
                           
                          Join Date: Oct 2013
                          Location: Seattle
                          Age: 42
                          Gender: Female
                          Nature: Calm
                          Posts: 313

                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
                          Being aware of your feelings and making a choice to do something, or not do something, are two different things. Of course she doesn't respond to things in a sexual manner. She's asexual. I get that. I know that. My only point is that it is still a choice on her part not to take a particular action.

                          You and I probably approach the concept of choice in a different way. For me inaction and action are the same where choice is concerned. That's just been my experience.

                          You are simply unable to accept the reality of the situation at this point. The irony being that you also demonstrated hypocrisy by telling one person not to dictate what another should be like then doing just that as well. Not all organisms have a sex drive, the vast majority of organisms in the world don't have a sex drive or sexual orientation, actually. Of course, the vast majority of organisms in the world do not have a gender system based on a dichotomy.

                          From a psychological stand point you are attempting to enforce stereotypical ideas onto other people, and thus remove the differences about them as a method of reconciling your own unique differences to avoid coming to terms with stereotypes other people have placed on you. It's not uncommon for people to do that, but it is less common today than it has ever been, because we are advancing as a species to avoid utilizing stereotypes as a means of judgment.

                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
                          @Kitten

                          what he is saying is that you are still physically capable of the act, you just have no reason or motivation for doing so. There is nothing actually preventing you from doing so other than your own lack of interest.

                          It has nothing to do with orientation or genetics or anything. He is just simply saying that you don't engage in the act willingly, because you have no desire to, but that you still have the ability to do so.

                          That sort of contradicts the notions involved. For there to be a choice there would have to be a drive one way or the other, the lack of a drive entirely means there is no conscious choice involved. It's not a "lack of interest," it's an absence of drive, a complete and total lack of any sexual desires, attractions, drives, or pleasures, none. Do you have a desire to jump off a cliff? If not, then how can it be a conscious choice not to jump off a cliff? A choice must have an opposition to it, if there is no opposition to the action, then it is not a choice.

                          Reply With Quote
                            #94    
                          Old November 19th, 2013 (4:43 AM).
                          gimmepie's Avatar
                          gimmepie gimmepie is offline

                          Splash!!!

                          • Moderator
                          • Platinum Tier
                          • EOEvent Organizer
                          • PokéCommunity Daily
                           
                          Join Date: May 2012
                          Location: Australia
                          Age: 21
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Mild
                          Posts: 15,971

                          @Kitten - Drive and the ability to chose something are unrelated. I could easily walk of a cliff right now. There is nothing stopping me. I just don't want to, so I am using that as the basis of my choice. The situation with you is the same.

                          Either way, I'd rather just discuss this via VM or PM since I think this is probably getting too heated for a general conversation. Feel free to do either of those things

                          Reply With Quote
                            #95    
                          Old November 19th, 2013 (4:49 AM).
                          Dakotah's Avatar
                          Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Aug 2010
                            Posts: 903

                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by KittenKoder View Post
                            To offer a synapse of what you are saying here: You know nothing of genetics.

                            Asexual is not an orientation, first of all, and what an organism is attracted to is not a conscious choice at all, we have understood what drives this for a very long time. Someone who chooses to avoid sex is not asexual, it's that simple. Someone who chooses to be attracted to something they are not attracted to is lying to themselves as well, it's that simple. Your genetics govern a lot about what you are, the only thing your genetics do not govern is who you are.

                            You know, I have been fighting for the rights of the LGBT community for a very long time now. And one of the things I've had to fight against is the mistaken believe that who we are attracted to is a choice. It's not. What is a choice, however, is whether or not we act on that attraction... or lack of attraction. And I am happy to say that Asexuality is just one aspect of this diverse group of people that I've worked with, so I do know a bit of what I speak.

                            Asexuality can be considered the lack of a sexual orientation, or one of the four variations thereof, alongside heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality, depending on how you look at it. Obviously you choose to look at it as and absence of sexual orientation. And that is fine. Unfortunately science is less clear on this. Some researchers who study asexuality assert that asexuality is a sexual orientation, while other researchers disagree. Until we get a definitive answer, I think we should always defer to the person in question, because only they know best how they feel.

                            But being asexual does not preclude the possibility of having sex. As I stated before many who are asexual have, and do have, sex, for many different personal reasons. Such as a desire to please romantic partners or a desire to have children, among the other reason that I stated earlier. Ultimately it is your choice whether to have sex or not, in spite of or because of your asexuality. And I think what ever is best for you, whatever makes you the most happy, the most content, is all I or anyone else could wish for.

                            Reply With Quote
                              #96    
                            Old November 19th, 2013 (5:05 AM).
                            KittenKoder's Avatar
                            KittenKoder KittenKoder is offline
                            I Am No One Else
                               
                              Join Date: Oct 2013
                              Location: Seattle
                              Age: 42
                              Gender: Female
                              Nature: Calm
                              Posts: 313

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
                              You know, I have been fighting for the rights of the LGBT community for a very long time now. And one of the things I've had to fight against is the mistaken believe that who we are attracted to is a choice. It's not. What is a choice, however, is whether or not we act on that attraction... or lack of attraction. And I am happy to say that Asexuality is just one aspect of this diverse group of people that I've worked with, so I do know a bit of what I speak.

                              Asexuality can be considered the lack of a sexual orientation, or one of the four variations thereof, alongside heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality, depending on how you look at it. Obviously you choose to look at it as and absence of sexual orientation. And that is fine. Unfortunately science is less clear on this. Some researchers who study asexuality assert that asexuality is a sexual orientation, while other researchers disagree. Until we get a definitive answer, I think we should always defer to the person in question, because only they know best how they feel.

                              But being asexual does not preclude the possibility of having sex. As I stated before many who are asexual have, and do have, sex, for many different personal reasons. Such as a desire to please romantic partners or a desire to have children, among the other reason that I stated earlier. Ultimately it is your choice whether to have sex or not, in spite of or because of your asexuality. And I think what ever is best for you, whatever makes you the most happy, the most content, is all I or anyone else could wish for.

                              Does a leaf choose to follow the path when blown by the wind?

                              Reply With Quote
                                #97    
                              Old November 19th, 2013 (5:09 AM).
                              Dakotah's Avatar
                              Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Aug 2010
                                Posts: 903

                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by KittenKoder View Post
                                Does a leaf choose to follow the path when blown by the wind?

                                What do the laws of gravity and physics have to do with human consciousness?

                                Reply With Quote
                                  #98    
                                Old November 19th, 2013 (5:09 AM).
                                gimmepie's Avatar
                                gimmepie gimmepie is offline

                                Splash!!!

                                • Moderator
                                • Platinum Tier
                                • EOEvent Organizer
                                • PokéCommunity Daily
                                 
                                Join Date: May 2012
                                Location: Australia
                                Age: 21
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Mild
                                Posts: 15,971

                                Is a leaf a conscious being with the ability to make choices?

                                Anyway, I'm not going to say anything else here.

                                Reply With Quote
                                  #99    
                                Old November 19th, 2013 (12:02 PM).
                                Choice Specs's Avatar
                                Choice Specs Choice Specs is online now
                                • Super Moderator
                                • Battle Server Staff
                                • Platinum Tier
                                 
                                Join Date: Aug 2012
                                Location: Weather Institute in Hoenn
                                Age: 23
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Modest
                                Posts: 19,845

                                Guys I like how you guys are having a good discussion, but lets keep it on the topic. If you guys want to discuss sexuality please use the thread intended for that located here.

                                __________________


                                A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                                Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.

                                Reply With Quote
                                  #100    
                                Old November 19th, 2013 (2:32 PM).
                                xVaporeon's Avatar
                                xVaporeon xVaporeon is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jan 2013
                                  Location: UK
                                  Gender: Female
                                  Posts: 215

                                  Single. Whenever I get close to a boy and really have something with them, they mess me around/choose another girl.
                                  I'm leaving school and heading off to college and stuff soon, though. Meeting different people will be amazing!
                                  Although, I have to say that I don't really feel that I NEED to be in a relationship right now. Wanna focus on my studies and do well in school.

                                  __________________

                                  xVaporeon
                                  if you've come this far,what choice do you have but to keep going?

                                  profile
                                  userbar shop
                                  credit

                                  friend code: 1907-9622-5659

                                  Reply With Quote
                                  Reply
                                  Quick Reply

                                  Sponsored Links
                                  Thread Tools

                                  Posting Rules
                                  You may not post new threads
                                  You may not post replies
                                  You may not post attachments
                                  You may not edit your posts

                                  BB code is On
                                  Smilies are On
                                  [IMG] code is On
                                  HTML code is Off

                                  Forum Jump


                                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:30 AM.