The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Off-Topic
Webmasters Discussion / Lounge

Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old April 9th, 2013 (3:04 PM). Edited April 9th, 2013 by Archenoth.
Archenoth's Avatar
Archenoth Archenoth is offline
The arch foe
     
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Lonely
    Posts: 467
    The two most common ways to get PHP data into JavaScript is to either:

    a) Use AJAX with a PHP file that spits out JSON with json_encode(). For example:
    Code:
    <?php
    // Some code that sets $var to the desired value or array.
    echo json_encode($var);
    ?>
    Then use JSON.parse to parse your JSON into a usable JavaScript variable.

    OR...
    b) Echo JavaScript-usable data into the page... For example:

    Code:
    <script type='text/javascript'>
      var somevar = <?php echo $var; ?>;
    </script>
    Be very careful with this approach though since it is very vulnerable to XSS. (Imagine if $var is set to "4; alert('Hi!');" for example...)

    For JavaScript to PHP, since PHP is server-side, this requires server activity. You'll either need to use AJAX or reload your current page with the GET or POST variables you want. GET variables are easy since you can fire an AJAX request to someurl?var=<someval>&anothervar=<someothervar>.

    Relevant Advertising!

      #27    
    Old April 21st, 2013 (8:38 PM).
    droomph's Avatar
    droomph droomph is offline
    weeb
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: nowhere spectacular
    Age: 21
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Impish
    Posts: 4,291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archenoth View Post
    The two most common ways to get PHP data into JavaScript is to either:

    a) Use AJAX with a PHP file that spits out JSON with json_encode(). For example:
    Code:
    <?php
    // Some code that sets $var to the desired value or array.
    echo json_encode($var);
    ?>
    Then use JSON.parse to parse your JSON into a usable JavaScript variable.

    OR...
    b) Echo JavaScript-usable data into the page... For example:

    Code:
    <script type='text/javascript'>
      var somevar = <?php echo $var; ?>;
    </script>
    Be very careful with this approach though since it is very vulnerable to XSS. (Imagine if $var is set to "4; alert('Hi!');" for example...)

    For JavaScript to PHP, since PHP is server-side, this requires server activity. You'll either need to use AJAX or reload your current page with the GET or POST variables you want. GET variables are easy since you can fire an AJAX request to someurl?var=<someval>&anothervar=<someothervar>.
    hehe thanks :p that makes it a lot clearer

    Soooooooo I'm trying to implement a whissiwig editor or whatever it's called onto my website, and I have with the tinyMCE program…

    however one problem is that it takes a long time to load, much worse than the one on PC, but I suppose because it's not WYSIWYG, so…

    1) how to make it load faster, or 2) what other better options do I have?

    sorry for asking and not telling, but I'm a noob at this :p
    __________________
    did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
    o i forgot 5
    uraqt


      #28    
    Old May 2nd, 2013 (3:53 PM).
    Archenoth's Avatar
    Archenoth Archenoth is offline
    The arch foe
       
      Join Date: Jan 2012
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Lonely
      Posts: 467
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by droomph View Post
      hehe thanks :p that makes it a lot clearer

      Soooooooo I'm trying to implement a whissiwig editor or whatever it's called onto my website, and I have with the tinyMCE program…

      however one problem is that it takes a long time to load, much worse than the one on PC, but I suppose because it's not WYSIWYG, so…

      1) how to make it load faster, or 2) what other better options do I have?

      sorry for asking and not telling, but I'm a noob at this :p
      Are you familiar with your browser's web-inspector network tab? Because it is a great asset when checking to see why pages load slowly.

      This is the network inspector tab in Opera Dragonfly...
      Spoiler:


      As you can see, it shows how long each request and response took, and if you mose over the bars, you can see a breakdown of what process took what amount of time:
      Spoiler:


      If something takes a long time, you can try to utilize caching, which will, instead of sending all of the data to a computer that has downloaded it again, send a simple 304 to the browser to indicate that it hasn't been modified:
      Spoiler:


      As you can see, this cuts down the amount of time a browser needs to download anything A LOT.
      Spoiler:


      If you have access to the configuration of your server, you can set it to use aggressive caching by sending an "Expiry" header with it's responses to allow data to be cached to make your site seem blazing fast, even if it uses exuberant AJAX and styles.

      You can find out how to utilize the Expires header here.

      Yahoo has some good guidelines too: http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#expires
        #29    
      Old October 9th, 2013 (1:08 AM).
      MKGirlism's Avatar
      MKGirlism MKGirlism is offline
      3DS and Wii U Game Developer
         
        Join Date: Feb 2013
        Location: Netherlands
        Age: 26
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 414
        I've made my own CMS, which I called "CWMSv4".
        At the moment, it's not really intractable, but I'm planning on putting in more features people other than me and our Staff can use.
        To rate it: http://www.cw-games.org

        In addition, I'm using AcmlmBoardXD on my Blog/Forums.
        While I love the Forum Software, I'm still not really used with Styling it.
        Here's what I've made of:
        http://www.mkgirlism.eu/?page=board
        (It includes a Mobile Theme.)

        Could you guys/gals give a Feedback for both?
        __________________
        ~Yami
          #30    
        Old October 9th, 2013 (7:47 AM).
        donavannj's Avatar
        donavannj donavannj is offline
         
        Join Date: Mar 2005
        Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
        Age: 27
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 21,518
        cw-games.org thoughts and comments:
        At this point, the website looks quite plain and very basic. You probably don't have a full-time staff to dedicate to it, but you need more visuals to make the site appear more enticing to the general public. The site does appear to meet the "get to where you want to go within 3 clicks" guideline for design quite well, though. That site's support forum is very basic and gives off quite the '90s forum vibe, and it is very hard to tell what's the actual post content and what's just information regarding the post or poster. The support forum has too much going on with each segment of a post being given its own visible border.


        mkmgirlism.eu thoughts and comments:
        Your forum's default style, while interesting, could use a few tweaks, including the pink drop-shadow behind all the text that has it. That drop-shadow makes it very difficult to read certain usernames. Actually, you may want to change the font-color of that group of usernames, as upon closer inspection it seems that it's the background color of the content areas of the forum that those usernames really clash with.
        __________________
        well that was unexpected
          #31    
        Old October 9th, 2013 (8:50 AM).
        MKGirlism's Avatar
        MKGirlism MKGirlism is offline
        3DS and Wii U Game Developer
           
          Join Date: Feb 2013
          Location: Netherlands
          Age: 26
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Calm
          Posts: 414
          As for the first site, the plain and basic look is on purpose, because it's meant to be as lightweight as possible.
          After all, I don't want to create a MySpace-clone out of it.
          The Support Forum is something I agree on, that's why I'm planning to focus my Updates fully on the Forum part.

          For the second site, it's actually "MKGirlism", not "MKMGirlism" (it stands for Mario Kart Girl, by the way).
          Though it's true the background colours, I didn't want to make it to pink or to blue, just something that's calm to the eyes.
          Group names are indeed a concern, so I guess I'll check out what I can do with the colours, as it conflicts with the names if somebody is female (female users are pink, male users are blue, and people who didn't specify their gender are purple, in case you want to know that).
          __________________
          ~Yami
            #32    
          Old November 15th, 2013 (10:14 AM). Edited November 15th, 2013 by Twiggy.
          Twiggy's Avatar
          Twiggy Twiggy is offline
          You like dragons?
           
          Join Date: Dec 2010
          Location: Plushies.
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Hasty
          Posts: 5,928
          Finding out about Microsoft WebMatrix was a pleasant surprise. Turns out it's extremely easy to create, test, and publish entire sites when you have a proper web site editing/testing suite on your computer.

          I particularly like IntelliSense and how extensible WebMatrix itself is. It didn't take too long for me to stop using Notepad++ and manual FTP uploads and move to something way more integrated - and less haphazard.

          Bonus points for finally getting some PHP action in.

          Now, I have to figure out what the heck is up with PHP includes on the other side... (I can't change the include paths.) I've went with somewhat harder paths for now. (things like /home/twigzone/public_html since I'm on shared virtual)

          (By the way: what do you guys here think of ASP.NET? And on a related topic, how does one do something similar to ASP.NET layouts (automatically inserted boilerplate code in a page, like headers and footers) in PHP?)

          By the way, perhaps this is a good time to check out my personal site.
            #33    
          Old November 15th, 2013 (10:33 AM).
          MKGirlism's Avatar
          MKGirlism MKGirlism is offline
          3DS and Wii U Game Developer
             
            Join Date: Feb 2013
            Location: Netherlands
            Age: 26
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Calm
            Posts: 414
            Paths being at /home/username/public_html has nothing to do with Shared Hosting or not, it's because your Hosting uses Linux.
            The /home folder is equal to C:\Users on Windows Vista and newer.

            To get the Include Paths, you'll use something like (yes, with a forward-slash, if you want to use a backslash, make sure you use it twice every time):
            Code:
            include("C:/Users/twigzone/blablabla/myfile.php");
            Instead of:
            Code:
            include("/home/twigzone/public_html/myfile.php");
            However, it can be much more efficient.
            Let's assume the file you're editing right now is "index.php", and you want to include the file "myinclude.php" in the folder called "twiggy".
            In that case, it's best to use:
            Code:
            include("twiggy/myinclude.php");
            When using that, rather than using the full path, it'll save you from a lot of typing, and at the same time, it'll work on both, your Linux Hosting, and your Windows PC.
            __________________
            ~Yami
              #34    
            Old November 15th, 2013 (10:33 AM).
            Dakotah's Avatar
            Dakotah Dakotah is offline
               
              Join Date: Aug 2010
              Posts: 903
              I've had the same website now for the past few years and I think it's time to update it, specifically to make it more compatible with tablets.

              Here is my site as it currently is: www.jasonfinigan.net

              I am not interested in using Wordpress ... at all.

              Paramaters:
              • Rotating banner upon page load
              • One column layout
              • Must be easily viewable on both a computer and a tablet

              Any suggestions?
              __________________
              DAKOTAH
              Personal Website
              YouTube Channel


              1693-4093-6753
              Normal Safari
              Lillipup / Audino / Ditto


              "...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
                #35    
              Old November 15th, 2013 (10:41 AM).
              Twiggy's Avatar
              Twiggy Twiggy is offline
              You like dragons?
               
              Join Date: Dec 2010
              Location: Plushies.
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Hasty
              Posts: 5,928
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by MKGirlism View Post
              Paths being at /home/username/public_html has nothing to do with Shared Hosting or not, it's because your Hosting uses Linux.
              The /home folder is equal to C:\Users on Windows Vista and newer.

              To get the Include Paths, you'll use something like (yes, with a forward-slash, if you want to use a backslash, make sure you use it twice every time):
              Code:
              include("C:/Users/twigzone/blablabla/myfile.php");
              Instead of:
              Code:
              include("/home/twigzone/public_html/myfile.php");
              However, it can be much more efficient.
              Let's assume the file you're editing right now is "index.php", and you want to include the file "myinclude.php" in the folder called "twiggy".
              In that case, it's best to use:
              Code:
              include("twiggy/myinclude.php");
              When using that, rather than using the full path, it'll save you from a lot of typing, and at the same time, it'll work on both, your Linux Hosting, and your Windows PC.
              OK, let's see...

              I'm going to use something like include("twigzone/myinclude.php"), right? There's a bit of a problem, though - on the IIS Express 8 server on the local machine, the site root is... / as far as the local server and PHP is concerned, even though the actual files are actually in, say, "C:\Users\Twiggy\Documents\My Web Sites\TwigZone\".

              Looks like I'll have to take advantage of remote editing controls in WebMatrix while we figure out the solution of this.
                #36    
              Old November 15th, 2013 (10:56 AM).
              MKGirlism's Avatar
              MKGirlism MKGirlism is offline
              3DS and Wii U Game Developer
                 
                Join Date: Feb 2013
                Location: Netherlands
                Age: 26
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Calm
                Posts: 414
                No, it really doesn't matter.
                If you don't start the Path with a slash, it'll recognise the path as a your current folder.

                Since, let's say, "index.php" is in "C:\Users\Twiggy\Documents\My Web Sites\TwigZone\", all you need to is "include("myinclude.php");", if "myinclude.php" is in the same folder.
                If not, just add the folder name + slash + myinclude.php.

                In my own CWMSv5 system, I'm using stuff like:
                Code:
                include("module/sitemap.php");
                include("module/foot.php");
                And I can use it on Windows and Linux with no problems.

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
                I've had the same website now for the past few years and I think it's time to update it, specifically to make it more compatible with tablets.

                Here is my site as it currently is: www.jasonfinigan.net

                I am not interested in using Wordpress ... at all.

                Paramaters:
                • Rotating banner upon page load
                • One column layout
                • Must be easily viewable on both a computer and a tablet

                Any suggestions?
                In my opinion, the third point already fits your wishes.
                I agree WordPress can be to limited at times (that's why I've made my own CMS), but all you listed in the Parameters, can be done with WordPress too.
                  #37    
                Old November 15th, 2013 (11:17 AM).
                Twiggy's Avatar
                Twiggy Twiggy is offline
                You like dragons?
                 
                Join Date: Dec 2010
                Location: Plushies.
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Hasty
                Posts: 5,928
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by MKGirlism View Post
                No, it really doesn't matter.
                If you don't start the Path with a slash, it'll recognise the path as a your current folder.

                Since, let's say, "index.php" is in "C:\Users\Twiggy\Documents\My Web Sites\TwigZone\", all you need to is "include("myinclude.php");", if "myinclude.php" is in the same folder.
                If not, just add the folder name + slash + myinclude.php.

                In my own CWMSv5 system, I'm using stuff like:
                Code:
                include("module/sitemap.php");
                include("module/foot.php");
                And I can use it on Windows and Linux with no problems.
                Looks like it worked like a charm. (Man, why did I not think about it earlier? xD)
                  #38    
                Old November 18th, 2013 (4:28 AM). Edited November 18th, 2013 by perthskies.
                perthskies's Avatar
                perthskies perthskies is offline
                Nostalgic
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2004
                  Location: Perth, Western Australia
                  Age: 29
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Serious
                  Posts: 339
                  Hello everyone, just wondering if I could get your opinion on my Digimon Frontier fansite:
                  http://tdfn.ancommunity.net/

                  I know this is a Pokémon community but a Pokémon fansite is coming soon! xD I've had this fansite since 2003 and it was looking dated with the old PHP includes so I gave it a WordPress makeover.

                  Would be keen to get feedback specifically on:
                  • Loading times (it is fairly graphic intensive and the theme I purchased seems to have AJAX loading)
                  • Legibility (background images in place)

                  Any feedback would greatly be appreciated!
                  __________________



                  Also known as: Optic
                  My Anime Fansites | Forums
                    #39    
                  Old November 18th, 2013 (4:35 AM).
                  Dakotah's Avatar
                  Dakotah Dakotah is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2010
                    Posts: 903
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by MKGirlism View Post
                    In my opinion, the third point already fits your wishes.
                    I agree WordPress can be to limited at times (that's why I've made my own CMS), but all you listed in the Parameters, can be done with WordPress too.
                    Does the lytebox work alright with tablets? I know some of them have had issues with javascript coding (especially with drop down menus).

                    Also, with regards to Wordpress, my main complaint with it is that the more applications you add to the thing, the slower and more cumbersome it becomes. I've seen some Wordpress sites where I could actually go grab a cup of hot chocolate before the site even loads!

                    But mainly, I'm asking for ideas to change the website because I think it's time to change the look. Having the same website for too long can become boring to people. The problem is, most of the templates I've seen so far don't really appeal to me.
                    __________________
                    DAKOTAH
                    Personal Website
                    YouTube Channel


                    1693-4093-6753
                    Normal Safari
                    Lillipup / Audino / Ditto


                    "...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
                      #40    
                    Old November 20th, 2013 (7:48 AM).
                    perthskies's Avatar
                    perthskies perthskies is offline
                    Nostalgic
                       
                      Join Date: Jan 2004
                      Location: Perth, Western Australia
                      Age: 29
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Serious
                      Posts: 339
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
                      But mainly, I'm asking for ideas to change the website because I think it's time to change the look. Having the same website for too long can become boring to people. The problem is, most of the templates I've seen so far don't really appeal to me.
                      Hello Jay,

                      I looked at your site and I thought it was a nice clean layout. :) If you're thinking of a fresh look perhaps you could consider incorporating your high resolution wallpapers (Destiny's Edge & The Enemy Within) as part of the layout as a background image?

                      Something along the lines of this as an example: (though text legibility would take a hit)
                      http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq2/about/about.html

                      Or maybe some background textures like this:
                      http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq3/behindscenes/selwood.html

                      Bear in mind I'm more biased towards graphic heavy layouts/looks which may not appeal to you.. maybe the others would have ideas if you prefer a more clean/crisp layout?
                      __________________



                      Also known as: Optic
                      My Anime Fansites | Forums
                        #41    
                      Old November 20th, 2013 (8:07 AM).
                      Twiggy's Avatar
                      Twiggy Twiggy is offline
                      You like dragons?
                       
                      Join Date: Dec 2010
                      Location: Plushies.
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Hasty
                      Posts: 5,928
                      I'm interested in using web fonts as a fall-back font for situations where Segoe UI is not available.

                      (Site in question: TwigZone)

                      1. What is a good web font service?
                      2. What should I go with without going too far away from Segoe UI?
                        #42    
                      Old November 20th, 2013 (8:21 AM).
                      perthskies's Avatar
                      perthskies perthskies is offline
                      Nostalgic
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2004
                        Location: Perth, Western Australia
                        Age: 29
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Serious
                        Posts: 339
                        Hello Twiggy,

                        1. I love Google Fonts, they have a nice range and it's free! Very straightforward to use too, just embed their stylesheet after you pick a font you're happy with and reference it in your CSS.

                        2. That's a tough call - I think Open Sans looks pretty close (it's also the font I'm using for my fansites, I really like it!) :)
                        __________________



                        Also known as: Optic
                        My Anime Fansites | Forums
                          #43    
                        Old November 20th, 2013 (8:23 AM).
                        MKGirlism's Avatar
                        MKGirlism MKGirlism is offline
                        3DS and Wii U Game Developer
                           
                          Join Date: Feb 2013
                          Location: Netherlands
                          Age: 26
                          Gender: Female
                          Nature: Calm
                          Posts: 414
                          Remember, green is a very sensitive colour, and I can feel it too (ouch!).
                          Anyway, you could use Fonts via CSS, so you won't need to worry about what the visitor has installed on their PC.

                          For example:
                          Code:
                          <html>
                          <style>
                          @font-face {
                              font-family: 'Symbola';
                              src: url('Symbola.eot');
                              src: local('Symbola'),
                                   local('Symbola'),
                                   url('Symbola.ttf') format('truetype'),
                                   url('Symbola.svg#font') format('svg');
                          }
                          
                          .Symbola {
                          	font-family:Symbola;
                          }
                          </style>
                          <body>
                          <div class="Symbola">This is a test.</div>
                          </body>
                          </html>
                          __________________
                          ~Yami
                            #44    
                          Old November 20th, 2013 (9:28 AM).
                          Tsutarja's Avatar
                          Tsutarja Tsutarja is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Mar 2010
                          Age: 23
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Jolly
                          Posts: 22,952
                          I haven't done my own @font-face in stylesheets before, but if you need to get a font for your website but don't want to go through the hassle of programming it into a stylesheet manually, then I really recommend this web font generator from fontsquirrel.com (which is really for anyone as a reference), but I'm sure that you wouldn't have any trouble :)
                          __________________
                            #45    
                          Old November 20th, 2013 (10:19 AM).
                          Twiggy's Avatar
                          Twiggy Twiggy is offline
                          You like dragons?
                           
                          Join Date: Dec 2010
                          Location: Plushies.
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Hasty
                          Posts: 5,928
                          I've went with locally hosted Open Sans and Droid Sans Mono as the fall-back fonts for when Segoe UI and Consolas are missing. Thank goodness Font Squirrel exists, huh?

                          Looks pretty fine from what I've been using. Microsoft WebMatrix really does make testing really easy and rapid.
                            #46    
                          Old November 20th, 2013 (10:22 AM).
                          MKGirlism's Avatar
                          MKGirlism MKGirlism is offline
                          3DS and Wii U Game Developer
                             
                            Join Date: Feb 2013
                            Location: Netherlands
                            Age: 26
                            Gender: Female
                            Nature: Calm
                            Posts: 414
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
                            I haven't done my own @font-face in stylesheets before, but if you need to get a font for your website but don't want to go through the hassle of programming it into a stylesheet manually, then I really recommend this web font generator from fontsquirrel.com (which is really for anyone as a reference), but I'm sure that you wouldn't have any trouble :)
                            Come on, the @font-face method really isn't hard at all!
                              #47    
                            Old November 20th, 2013 (10:33 AM).
                            Twiggy's Avatar
                            Twiggy Twiggy is offline
                            You like dragons?
                             
                            Join Date: Dec 2010
                            Location: Plushies.
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Hasty
                            Posts: 5,928
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by MKGirlism View Post
                            Come on, the @font-face method really isn't hard at all!
                            Indeed. As long as you know the bulletproof web font syntax, you should have no problems with compatibility.

                            I prefer to also define font styles and weights in a @font-face block as I prefer using the same font family name and using the "correct" weights using font-weight and font-style in the actual CSS.

                            You might fancy something like this:
                            Code:
                            @font-face {
                                font-family: 'Open Sans'; /* Specify a global font name */
                                font-weight: normal; /* Specify what "weight" (e.g. normal, bold, lighter) these files are for */
                                font-style: normal; /* Specify what "style" (e.g. normal, italic) these files are for */
                                
                                src: url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.eot');
                                src: url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.eot?iefix') format('eot'),
                            	     url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.woff') format('woff'),
                            	     url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.ttf') format('truetype'),
                            	     url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.svg#webfont') format('svg');
                            }
                              #48    
                            Old November 20th, 2013 (10:50 AM).
                            Tsutarja's Avatar
                            Tsutarja Tsutarja is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Mar 2010
                            Age: 23
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Jolly
                            Posts: 22,952
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by MKGirlism View Post
                            Come on, the @font-face method really isn't hard at all!
                            For the record, I have minimal experience with @font-face, so please watch at what you say. I respect your opinion for saying that it's not really hard at all, but keep in mind that experience level plays a role in what someone says about something.
                            __________________
                              #49    
                            Old November 20th, 2013 (10:54 AM). Edited November 21st, 2013 by Twiggy.
                            Twiggy's Avatar
                            Twiggy Twiggy is offline
                            You like dragons?
                             
                            Join Date: Dec 2010
                            Location: Plushies.
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Hasty
                            Posts: 5,928
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
                            For the record, I have minimal experience with @font-face, so please watch at what you say. I respect your opinion for saying that it's not really hard at all, but keep in mind that experience level plays a role in what someone says about something.
                            Mmm, perhaps so, but you could certainly start out with the code block I've there. Just remember to replace all the URLs with where things are actually located on the server.

                            Speaking of web fonts and Google Fonts, I'm a bit... annoyed at the fact that Google Fonts API serves EOT fonts to Internet Explorer versions 9 and above even though IE9 supports WOFF and prefers it to everything else given a list of fonts to download in @font-face. (EOT doesn't support ligatures and other nice things that WOFF does.)

                            They had over two years...
                              #50    
                            Old January 17th, 2014 (4:55 PM).
                            Alexander Nicholi's Avatar
                            Alexander Nicholi Alexander Nicholi is offline
                            We come close to find Singularity
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2009
                            Location: the Research Triangle
                            Age: 20
                            Nature: Adamant
                            Posts: 5,349
                            I'm running a VPS called Thunderbolt Networks with the following statistics:
                            Can you guys give me some suggestions for further improvement to the two sites' layouts? Both of them use a fixed background image that covers the screen, and I custom skinned the forums and modified the colors of an existing WordPress theme with a new background.

                            With the forum I'm also open to structural suggestions. :)
                            __________________
                            <Signature user="Alexander Nicholi" />
                            Closed Thread

                            Quick Reply

                            Join the conversation!

                            Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                            Create a PokéCommunity Account

                            Sponsored Links
                            Thread Tools

                            Posting Rules
                            You may not post new threads
                            You may not post replies
                            You may not post attachments
                            You may not edit your posts

                            BB code is On
                            Smilies are On
                            [IMG] code is On
                            HTML code is Off

                            Forum Jump


                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:20 AM.