Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old November 17th, 2013 (5:12 PM). Edited November 25th, 2013 by Qhauriq.
Qhauriq Qhauriq is offline
     
    Join Date: Aug 2013
    Posts: 23




    Pokémon Adventures Online

    Were in the process of making a Pokemon MMO 2D game. We have already dived deeply into development. Already have fans and what we need now is more help. Right now we have one coder, one GUI artist, one concept artist, two writers, two excellent mappers. That is our team. Most of us do more than one task though but still we are short a few members to really take this game to another level.

    We are very involed Pokemon lovers and carry a great passion for it. Most of us have worked on other MMO Pokemon games such as PokeMMO, PWo and others. We are not youngsters with a unrealistic dream. Besides our one 17 year old we all average about 23-24 in age on the team. We take this project very serious and will dedicate lots of hours to this project daily. We hope you find some sort of interest in this project either by joining us or giving us fan support.






    The game starts off in the Nexus Region. Where you must catch Pokemon, battle leaders, and be the league champion. But this adventure is not what you expect. There is a villain lurking in the shadows. The mystery behind these villains is not yet unraveled. The motives still unclear. But we do know they go by the name of Team Neo. Led by a man named Neron. They run the streets of neo City and control it with brute force. Now they look to take over the whole region and use Pokemon they control to do so. In this fight for Pokemon and humans alike, you must take on the leaders of each gym, catch Pokemon and together become stronger to take on such a powerful enemy and his Generals. But there is still more unexplained events occuring and more secrets to be discovered in the Nexus region. Is Neo the only threat? Take on the adventure and unlock the truths.




    Title: Pokemon Adventures Online
    Engine: Game Maker
    Audience: 10+
    Rating: E-T
    Developers: PAO Staff
    Genre: 2D Action/Anime MMO



    View out recruitment thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7941507#post7941507




    Email: qhauriq2013@gmail.com
    Skype: Qhauriq Nazhur
    or PM on here or reply to thread.

    For more information on project you can message us on any of the social media links above as well as see all of our latest updates and videos.




    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old November 25th, 2013 (8:32 PM). Edited November 25th, 2013 by Qhauriq.
    Qhauriq Qhauriq is offline
       
      Join Date: Aug 2013
      Posts: 23
      Here are a couple of new towns/cities for the game. Introducing Priapos and Frozenlily

      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old November 25th, 2013 (8:34 PM). Edited November 25th, 2013 by Shadeh.
      Shadeh's Avatar
      Shadeh Shadeh is offline
      KABOOM!
         
        Join Date: Nov 2013
        Location: The Shadows
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Jolly
        Posts: 141
        SWEET! I've been looking for a pokemon mmo for a long. Time, none of that boring stuff like Pokemon Indigo.
        But one THING. Is it Browser? I hate downloading stuff

        also a few things. Later on can we customize avatars? I luv being unique. And can you implement an option to use the arrow keys or W-A-S-D? I hate using mouse. .-.
        Just my opinions, sorry for any inconvenience.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old November 25th, 2013 (8:37 PM).
        Qhauriq Qhauriq is offline
           
          Join Date: Aug 2013
          Posts: 23
          Sorry but this won't be an HTML game, you will have to download it.
          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old November 25th, 2013 (8:39 PM).
          Shadeh's Avatar
          Shadeh Shadeh is offline
          KABOOM!
             
            Join Date: Nov 2013
            Location: The Shadows
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Jolly
            Posts: 141
            Ah okay, Will I have to Download a rom and emulator to play? It sucked setting up pokemmo.
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #6    
            Old November 25th, 2013 (9:59 PM).
            Qhauriq Qhauriq is offline
               
              Join Date: Aug 2013
              Posts: 23
              There wont be anything to download except the game exe
              Reply With Quote
                #7    
              Old November 26th, 2013 (12:45 PM).
              Qhauriq Qhauriq is offline
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2013
                Posts: 23
                Here is the newest video(Lost Cave is completely dark because we want people to find their way through it):
                Reply With Quote
                  #8    
                Old November 27th, 2013 (1:37 AM).
                Worldslayer608's Avatar
                Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                ಥдಥ
                • Silver Tier
                 
                Join Date: Mar 2008
                Location: San Diego
                Age: 28
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Calm
                Posts: 892
                Just a bit of feedback from what I saw:

                The maps need work. Not only are they harsh to look at as they go from wide open empty space to tight and windy routes, but they really do not look at all supportive of an MMO play ability. It is pretty evident that there is not a whole lot of direction going into their creation or functionality. The mountain route and the tower route seem almost unplayable if you are alone, let alone a multiplayer setting. The screen size in relativity to the tile/sprite size is also a contributing factor.
                __________________



                SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                HARDCORE EDITION
                To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                Reply With Quote
                  #9    
                Old November 27th, 2013 (12:29 PM). Edited November 27th, 2013 by Qhauriq.
                Qhauriq Qhauriq is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2013
                  Posts: 23
                  Thank you for your input. The recording screen is not the actual size. The game screen size will be 1064 x 768.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #10    
                  Old November 27th, 2013 (2:59 PM).
                  Worldslayer608's Avatar
                  Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                  ಥдಥ
                  • Silver Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Mar 2008
                  Location: San Diego
                  Age: 28
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Calm
                  Posts: 892
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Qhauriq View Post
                  Thank you for your input. The recording screen is not the actual size. The game screen size will be 1064 x 768.
                  The larger the screen and the smaller the sprites, the worse your maps, no matter how good they are, become. The reason why, is that the screen becomes cluttered with topographic information and detail. Smaller screens hide that information which creates a focal point on the player itself and limited surrounding. There is a reason fan games do not really deviate from the small screen size, even when custom interfaces are involved. It will always look bad, regardless of how amazing the maps are.

                  To correct this, I would aim towards using more custom graphics. It is evident to me that someone on the team has enough photoshop skills to start pumping out a more high resolution tileset.

                  I am not usually one to say that the graphics make or break the game, but I will attest that improper use of space and size relativity can certainly turn a lot of people off of it...

                  A while back, there was a project that was creating high-res 3rd gen tiles. Maybe you could find that.
                  __________________



                  SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                  HARDCORE EDITION
                  To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                  Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                  Reply With Quote
                    #11    
                  Old November 27th, 2013 (3:19 PM).
                  Qhauriq Qhauriq is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2013
                    Posts: 23
                    At the moment tilesets/graphics aren't a main concern. We may look into what you have recommended in the future, but for now our focus is on other features such as the battling,pc box,trading and etc. In my opinion functionality is more important than graphics.
                    Reply With Quote
                      #12    
                    Old November 27th, 2013 (5:38 PM).
                    Worldslayer608's Avatar
                    Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                    ಥдಥ
                    • Silver Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Mar 2008
                    Location: San Diego
                    Age: 28
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 892
                    Something people overlook when doing something such as making changes to a tileset, if how much work it piles on, because you have to remap everything once you make those adjustments.

                    The argument that graphics are not important only goes so far and it's validity is relative.

                    I had to completely redo a stupid amount of maps when I did something as seemingly simple as changing tree tiles, then again when I decided to change the cliff tiles. Your project seems far to ambitious to be overlooking the amount of work that creates. Your project either seems to be presented in a hasty manner, and your base systems are all still stemming or your are presenting it at a stage where your graphics and display need to be taken into consideration for the sheer sake of play ability. My problem is not with how good or bad your tiles look, but how good or bad they actually function with the display and your maps in general.
                    __________________



                    SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                    HARDCORE EDITION
                    To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                    Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                    Reply With Quote
                      #13    
                    Old November 27th, 2013 (8:10 PM).
                    Qhauriq Qhauriq is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2013
                      Posts: 23
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
                      Something people overlook when doing something such as making changes to a tileset, if how much work it piles on, because you have to remap everything once you make those adjustments.

                      The argument that graphics are not important only goes so far and it's validity is relative.

                      I had to completely redo a stupid amount of maps when I did something as seemingly simple as changing tree tiles, then again when I decided to change the cliff tiles. Your project seems far to ambitious to be overlooking the amount of work that creates. Your project either seems to be presented in a hasty manner, and your base systems are all still stemming or your are presenting it at a stage where your graphics and display need to be taken into consideration for the sheer sake of play ability. My problem is not with how good or bad your tiles look, but how good or bad they actually function with the display and your maps in general.
                      I didn't say that it was not important but this game isn't based on graphics alone.There are so many areas that we must address. We are pleased with our progress thus far and most others are as well. We will continue to push forward with our goals and we always welcome any constructive criticism that you or anyone else may have. Thank you for your concern.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #14    
                      Old November 27th, 2013 (8:31 PM).
                      Worldslayer608's Avatar
                      Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                      ಥдಥ
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Mar 2008
                      Location: San Diego
                      Age: 28
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Calm
                      Posts: 892
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Qhauriq View Post
                      I didn't say that it was not important but this game isn't based on graphics alone.There are so many areas that we must address. We are pleased with our progress thus far and most others are as well. We will continue to push forward with our goals and we always welcome any constructive criticism that you or anyone else may have. Thank you for your concern.
                      You can take it with a grain of salt, that is fine.

                      I am just telling you that the reason for changing graphics is not to make it look pretty, it is to make your maps function the way maps should function, and I am saying this from recent experience. I had to go back and adjust every single outdoor map within Pillars of Destiny and many of them ended up having to change in a pretty drastic way and my tiles were not even really all that different, it was the few tiles that ended up changing height or width even by a single tile that threw everything off. After remapping about 50 maps over the course of the summer, I ended up scrapping all of them because the changed the entire dynamic of space on a lot of maps and they became unplayable and instead of going back to try and fix them and then having to adjust adjacent maps because of it, it was more time efficient to just scrap them all and redo them and even then it took forever and I am still not done.

                      So once again, the demand for tile changes is not to make your game look better, it is to make your maps function more efficiently in a large window and multiplayer setting.

                      You wanted my help on your project, but you won't take my advice or let me lead you to my pool of wisdom so you can bath in its spring?

                      You guys are silly.
                      __________________



                      SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                      HARDCORE EDITION
                      To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                      Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                      Reply With Quote
                        #15    
                      Old November 28th, 2013 (12:03 AM).
                      Superalexiy's Avatar
                      Superalexiy Superalexiy is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Jul 2013
                        Location: Purgatory
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Adamant
                        Posts: 30
                        cool but you still have not shown the most important part of pokemon BATTLING!
                        Reply With Quote
                          #16    
                        Old November 28th, 2013 (10:08 AM).
                        Nickalooose Nickalooose is offline
                        --------------------
                           
                          Join Date: Mar 2008
                          Gender: Female
                          Posts: 1,309
                          Lol, Worldslayer, maps can be changed, it's not a problem... But not all games are based on graphics, my games, don't base themselves off graphics because I either use the ones that come with Essentials or my own and even minor edits haven't effected ANY of my maps... So I'm not entirely sure what you're on about... You're not the only mapper on this forum, you may have wisdom, you may have experience, but it means nothing in the long run, IF, the mapper doesn't want to change what they feel is right... If I told you that you need to change your houses because your character over shadows the doors... Would you go and change it, no... But maybe to another style of mapper, they can say that it looks stupid... Anyone can keep on and on about graphics and what not, but you can't focus too much on one thing, they can be changed at any point, I suppose, once systems and things are online, then the graphics can and may be, sorted out... If you can be a little more understanding, that would probably be more appreciated, your concern looks like it was addressed, you just have to wait and see if it gets fixed/changed or answered again, in future updates.

                          @Superalexiy, I want to see the battle system myself, but we'll just have to wait and see what the coders manage to bring us :D
                          Reply With Quote
                            #17    
                          Old November 28th, 2013 (10:21 AM).
                          Worldslayer608's Avatar
                          Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                          ಥдಥ
                          • Silver Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Mar 2008
                          Location: San Diego
                          Age: 28
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Calm
                          Posts: 892
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Nickalooose View Post
                          Lol, Worldslayer, maps can be changed, it's not a problem... But not all games are based on graphics, my games, don't base themselves off graphics because I either use the ones that come with Essentials or my own and even minor edits haven't effected ANY of my maps... So I'm not entirely sure what you're on about... You're not the only mapper on this forum, you may have wisdom, you may have experience, but it means nothing in the long run, IF, the mapper doesn't want to change what they feel is right... If I told you that you need to change your houses because your character over shadows the doors... Would you go and change it, no... But maybe to another style of mapper, they can say that it looks stupid... Anyone can keep on and on about graphics and what not, but you can't focus too much on one thing, they can be changed at any point, I suppose, once systems and things are online, then the graphics can and may be, sorted out... If you can be a little more understanding, that would probably be more appreciated, your concern looks like it was addressed, you just have to wait and see if it gets fixed/changed or answered again, in future updates.

                          @Superalexiy, I want to see the battle system myself, but we'll just have to wait and see what the coders manage to bring us :D
                          Changing a house tile on a map or a tree tile on a map because it looks bad is not the same as changing a tile because your screen size is relevant and your map is actually almost unplayable.

                          While I agree that cosmetic changes are really meager, playable maps are not. My point is that those maps are bad maps, regardless of the tile sets used and that they should be redone, and that they should also take the display size into consideration, which they have not.

                          It is not about making the tiles look pretty, it is about making the maps function properly.

                          I am not just a mapper, I am a designer, and I can tell you that what separates a good map from a bad map is functionality in terms of play-ability and efficient use of space. These maps might as well be unplayable. I promise you I am not the only person who would absolutely despise traversing a number of those maps. If your maps are difficult to navigate or are completely uninteresting, people will drastically limit their time invested in playing the game and that does not matter if it is a Pokemon fan-game or a franchise flagship title.

                          I think you are mistaking constructive criticism as being hostile remarks.
                          __________________



                          SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                          HARDCORE EDITION
                          To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                          Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                          Reply With Quote
                            #18    
                          Old November 28th, 2013 (5:03 PM).
                          Qhauriq Qhauriq is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Aug 2013
                            Posts: 23
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Superalexiy View Post
                            cool but you still have not shown the most important part of pokemon BATTLING!
                            I don't know how much of the conversation between WorldSlayer and I you read, but at the moment the battling system is what we are working on which is why mapping and some other things are on the back burner. When we have a video prepared we will release it. I'm eager for the public to see what we can create. Hopefully it won't be long before you will see exactly what you want!
                            Reply With Quote
                            Reply
                            Quick Reply

                            Sponsored Links
                            Thread Tools

                            Posting Rules
                            You may not post new threads
                            You may not post replies
                            You may not post attachments
                            You may not edit your posts

                            BB code is On
                            Smilies are On
                            [IMG] code is On
                            HTML code is Off

                            Forum Jump


                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:43 AM.