• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Rocket created shinies?

Years
We have all seen, found and maybe even caught shiny Pokémon. Even in the original Pokémon Anime, Ash actually does see a shiny Ho-oh and grants him with eternal happiness. Now to the Lake of Rage, with the shiny Red Gyrados and Ash's shiny Noctowl. As you can see, shiny Pokémon are a mystery. The Gameboy released a color version, so Nintendo took advantage of it and added a SECOND color scheme to each Pokémon in the game. The chance in finding a shiny is 1 in every 8000 or so. In other words, these Pokémon are extremely hard to find. However, there is always one shiny that you will always discover, and that is Team Rocket's Red Gyrados. The reason it turned shiny because it was the only Magikarp in the lake to be forced to evolve, making it red. Moving on, my theory is much simpler. In 1st gen games, there were no shinies what so ever. In 2nd gen, thats when it all started.
When Team Rocket took over the Radio Tower in Goldenrod, you weren't fast enough to save the day.
So the whole time you were getting to Goldenrod WITHOUT FLY, Team Rocket was sending out those signals, forcing those helpless Pokémon to evolve to a shiny. Radio signals are very strong at the source, but slowly decimate after a long time. Its small, but still there. The signal most likely spread across ALL the regions, exposing each and everyone of the Pokémon to the signal. So everytime you see a shiny, just know that it was Team Rocket's doing.
I hope you were entertained, this is justa theory, remember that.
~Spys

Years
We know RSE and FRLG happen simultaneously (see Sevii Islands quests for more detail), and FRLG happened before GSC/HGSS, so RSE happened before GSC/HGSS. However, we can still see shinies in RSE. Not to mention shinies can be found in GSC/HGSS before the radio incident.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
That, and they say themselves that they were evolving Pokemon with the signal, not evolving them into shiny Pokemon. Also counteracted by being able to find shiny Pokemon before that event, and the NPC talking about seeing a shiny Butterfree before.
Even in the original Pokémon Anime, Ash actually does see a shiny Ho-oh and grants him with eternal happiness.
It was shiny...?

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
That, and they say themselves that they were evolving Pokemon with the signal, not evolving them into shiny Pokemon. Also counteracted by being able to find shiny Pokemon before that event, and the NPC talking about seeing a shiny Butterfree before.
It was shiny...?

To correct: It was shining.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I'll just consider it a natural mutation - Much like Albino in Alligators in real life etc.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Dec 27, 2013
I'll just consider it a natural mutation - Much like Albino in Alligators in real life etc.
I agree, But I believe this theory needs much research.

Im glad you guys are enjoying these theories :D

Last edited:

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
I'm of the opinion that shiny Pokémon are naturally-occurring color variations; however, I think you may be onto something here, still. While I think that shinies are naturally-occurring, they needn't all come about from the same processes. Red Gyarados might indeed occur because of a developmental mistake during evolution from Magikarp, so that it retains its red coloration. However, another means of a Gyarados being shiny is that it evolved from a shiny Magikarp (which are gold-colored).

In short: I do think that most shinies are natural (though of course the Lake of Rage incident is clearly an instance of an artificial cause behind an individual case of alternate coloration), however your topic remains interesting and relevant because I believe it shows that there can be more than one cause of shininess in Pokémon. Some may be mutations, some may be developmental mistakes (e.g., immediately brought to mind are shiny Nidoran, which take on the color of the opposite gender: this may be the result of a difference in development inside the egg).

It's an interesting topic, and I do think it has some truth to it; though I don't believe that Team Rocket is responsible for the existence of all shiny Pokémon.

Bestintheworld

Capo de tutti capo
Years
Don't believe this other than the red gyrados there's no proof. Shiny are a naturally 1/6000(whatever) chance. If they created them wouldn't the grunts, admins, and most if all Giovanni have at least one in their parties.

Aether1995

Banned
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 19, 2014
If they have the ability to create shinies why would they take the time to steal all of everyone else's ugly pokemon.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
What if the radiowaves altarred certain Pokemon's DNA so when you tried hatching them, they were shiny. They don't necessarily need to have to be shiny because they could have the shiny recessive trait which means most aren't shiny but there's still a small chance it could be, without it actually showing on the parent.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
But what about shinies you get from eggs? Maybe the air still holds a current or something?

Pokemon have genotype that represents their phenotype. The mutations carry on when they are hatched. Over time genes have been transferred through pokemon, if only a little. It's kind of like pokerus in that aspect. I think that shinies is a genetic mutation between pokemon, but Team Rocket with their project could have catalyzed the process.

Back