• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Problem with missing Pokémon sprites and icons

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
Hey, I'm completely new to all this, so don't go biting my head off, but I'm not getting any sprites in the starter game that comes with essentials. Is this an actual problem, or am I just doing something wrong...

When I start up the game, I go through everything up to a Pokemon battle, and then there's nothing there. Just two spots where the sprites should be. Then, if I try checking my Pokemon in the party, the game crashes.

I'll post the actual specifics of the crash if you guys say there's a legitimate problem, but before I did that I thought I'd see if I'm just not setting things up correctly.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
Did you download the Pokemon Pack and apply the contents to the Essentials folders?
....probably not.

Edit: Ok, got the pack, thought it was working, and it's still crashing.

It says:

Script 'SpriteWindow' line 218: RuntimeError occured.

filename is nil

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
....probably not.

Edit: Ok, got the pack, thought it was working, and it's still crashing.

It says:

filename is nil

Have you had a previous version of Essentials or another RMXP fangame at one point?

Try this:

In your Saved Games folder (Somewhere in your profile documents), you will see a file called Game.rxdata or perhaps just Game. If you do not see either of those, look for a Pokemon Essentials Folder and open it.

Delete that file.

Reload and it should fix the crash.

Assuming it is the error I think it is, the above should fix it. If not, please provide more information about the crash. What are you doing when it happens? Are you using an unmodified version of Essentials v13?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
I literally bought the program and downloaded essentials today (now with the Pokemon pack >.>) so a former program or fan game isn't the problem.

Also, the problem is still there...

Should the Essentials folder be inside another project folder or on its own on the desktop?

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I literally bought the program and downloaded essentials today (now with the Pokemon pack >.>) so a former program or fan game isn't the problem.

Also, the problem is still there...

Should the Essentials folder be inside another project folder or on its own on the desktop?

I had the line 218 from SpriteWindow issue recently, and RMXP was trying to load the old save file and that is where it directed me. My understanding of the 218 error is that there is a failure to load a logged image. Removing the save file worked for me, but I have bumped into it a few other times where it was not the issue as well. Removing it is just a step in isolating the issue as best as we can so we can resolve it.

No, the folder is fine on the desktop.

What are you doing when you are encountering the error?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
I had the line 218 from SpriteWindow issue recently, and RMXP was trying to load the old save file and that is where it directed me. My understanding of the 218 error is that there is a failure to load a logged image. Removing the save file worked for me, but I have bumped into it a few other times where it was not the issue as well. Removing it is just a step in isolating the issue as best as we can so we can resolve it.

No, the folder is fine on the desktop.

What are you doing when you are encountering the error?

I start the game from the application in the folder

Start a new game

Get Pokemon from Mom downstairs

Open menu with x, select Pokemon (as in to look at party in general)

Game crashes, same error message...

Edit: How would I remove an old save file?

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I start the game from the application in the folder

Start a new game

Get Pokemon from Mom downstairs

Open menu with x, select Pokemon

Game crashes, same error message...

Edit: How would I remove an old save file?

Is this the error you are getting?

Spoiler:

I am not experiencing it, and the only way I can replicate it is by forcing the game to load a save file that is not from the unmodified version of Essentials.

The wrong saved game, will crash upon starting up the game and at the load screen where it would be otherwise loading the pokemon icon file.

Since you are opening the Pokemon menu from the initial menu I am going to say it is something with your icons folder, assuming that you and I are seeing the same error here.

Please double check the following folder within the Pokemon Essentials folder to make sure that the icons are in there correctly.

Pokémon Essentials v13 2012-12-02\Graphics\Icons

I am going to assume the probably are, and if that is the case, delete the folder, download Essentials again, apply the Pokemon Pack and then try it again.

From here I am going to take a shot in the dark and assume you are going to get the same crash, if this is the case, please go to

C:\Users\Username\Saved Games

*Replace Username with whatever your user account name is on your computer.

and look for the save file titles "Game". It may be in a folder called Pokemon Essentials. Delete this file.

Once again, this is assuming we are seeing the same error. Because that is what I can replicate from the info you have given me, and that is how I am able to fix it every time I replicate it.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
Is this the error you are getting?

Spoiler:

I am not experiencing it, and the only way I can replicate it is by forcing the game to load a save file that is not from the unmodified version of Essentials.

The wrong saved game, will crash upon starting up the game and at the load screen where it would be otherwise loading the pokemon icon file.

Since you are opening the Pokemon menu from the initial menu I am going to say it is something with your icons folder, assuming that you and I are seeing the same error here.

Please double check the following folder within the Pokemon Essentials folder to make sure that the icons are in there correctly.

I am going to assume the probably are, and if that is the case, delete the folder, download Essentials again, apply the Pokemon Pack and then try it again.

From here I am going to take a shot in the dark and assume you are going to get the same crash, if this is the case, please go to

C:\Users\Username\Saved Games

*Replace Username with whatever your user account name is on your computer.

and look for the save file titles "Game". It may be in a folder called Pokemon Essentials. Delete this file.

Once again, this is assuming we are seeing the same error. Because that is what I can replicate from the info you have given me, and that is how I am able to fix it every time I replicate it.

Well...

That isn't the error message I'm getting, it only said/says:

filename is nil

I'm going to try deleting and re-downloading everything...

Thanks for all your help so far...

Edit: Even after re-downloading everything, putting in the Pokemon Pack this time, the sprites and Pokemon party still don't work...

But the problem with not being able to move the arrow was fixed at least...

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Okay, so you are currently not launching the game from RMXP itself, instead the Game.exe from the Essentials folder I take it?

If so, please launch from RMXP and do what you are normally doing, and copy the error code if it pops up.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

SpriteWindow:218:in `initialize'

PokemonSprite:113:in `new'

PokemonSprite:113:in `pokemon='

PokemonSprite:99:in `initialize'

PokemonParty:341:in `new'

PokemonParty:341:in `initialize'

PokemonParty:614:in `new'

PokemonParty:614:in `pbStartScene'

PokemonParty:612:in `each'

PokemonParty:612:in `pbStartScene'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Your Pokemon Icons are not in the right folder.

What is happening here, is when you open the menu, the script is trying to place the icon images and failing to find them.

Open up your Pokemon Essentials folder, open up the Graphics Folder, then open up the Icons folder. The icons are not there or in another folder inside of the Icons folder, right?

I have replicated this exact error by simply cutting out all of the icons from the icon folder within the graphics folder, so you have messed something up somewhere here.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
Your Pokemon Icons are not in the right folder.

What is happening here, is when you open the menu, the script is trying to place the icon images and failing to find them.

Open up your Pokemon Essentials folder, open up the Graphics Folder, then open up the Icons folder. The icons are not there or in another folder inside of the Icons folder, right?

I have replicated this exact error by simply cutting out all of the icons from the icon folder within the graphics folder, so you have messed something up somewhere here.

Ok, in the icons folder there was an empty footprints folder.

I removed it, leaving only icons.

Opened again with the editor

Played through a test and got what appears to be the same message:

Pokemon Essentials

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Ok, in the icons folder there was an empty footprints folder.

I removed it, leaving only icons.

Opened again with the editor

Played through a test and got what appears to be the same message:

Pokemon Essentials

Footprints will not give you the error you are seeing. However, you want the Footprints folder to exist, don't delete it. Also, download the Pokemon Pack and make sure the Footprints are in there, it cannot be empty.

Just to be clear, when you applied the Pokemon Pack, how did you do it?

Your path to the icon images should look something like this:

NOT

Pokémon Essentials v13 2012-12-02\Graphics\Icons\Icons

Unless this exact error can be caused by something other than Icons not being in the correct path, you have done something wrong with the way you applied the Pokemon Pack.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
The path to the icons is alright. But the footprints folder in the icons folder that I deleted didn't have anything in it, is that a problem?

There are footprints in a folder in the graphics section of the Pokemon pack...

I applied the Pokemon pack by...well, just putting it in the overall essentials folder where the graphics and audio folders are. How ARE you supposed to apply it?

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
The path to the icons is alright. But the footprints folder in the icons folder that I deleted didn't have anything in it, is that a problem?

There are footprints in a folder in the graphics section of the Pokemon pack...

I applied the Pokemon pack by...well, just putting it in the overall essentials folder where the graphics and audio folders are. How ARE you supposed to apply it?

Yeah, you did it wrong.

Open up the Pokemon Pack folder. Inside you will see a folder names Graphics.

Put that Graphics folder in your main Pokemon Essentials Folder and overwrite the existing Graphics folder.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
Yeah, you did it wrong.

Open up the Pokemon Pack folder. Inside you will see a folder names Graphics.

Put that Graphics folder in your main Pokemon Essentials Folder and overwrite the existing Graphics folder.

Overwrite as in...?

Replace, place inside it, copy it?

The information in the two graphics folders are different, and there's audio in the Pokemon pack, so do I need to put that in the essentials folder too?

Thanks to whoever made this a topic. Sorry for MAKING this a topic in the first place -.-

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Overwrite as in...?

Replace, place inside it, copy it?

The information in the two graphics folders are different, and there's audio in the Pokemon pack, so do I need to put that in the essentials folder too?

Thanks to whoever made this a topic. Sorry for MAKING this a topic in the first place -.-

Replace...

Yes, do the same with the audio folder.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
OK, I took the audio folder and placed everything in it into the audio folder in essentials. Lather, rinse and repeated this with the graphics contents in the Pokemon pack.

Now, so far as I can tell, it works perfectly.

Thanks Worldslayer. Obviously I made this more work than it should have taken, so thank you for your patience and all your help.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Glad it we got it worked out for you. At least now, there is a walk through for someone else should they find themselves with the same issue.

If you run into future crashes, replicate it in the test game you launch from RMXP, that way you get information on the crash. When we first started, the crash gave me little info and it directed me to a common save file crash people get.

Back