The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Game Development Pokémon Essentials
Problem with missing Pokémon sprites and icons

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old December 25th, 2013 (12:57 PM).
Jalla199 Jalla199 is offline
     
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 12
    Hey, I'm completely new to all this, so don't go biting my head off, but I'm not getting any sprites in the starter game that comes with essentials. Is this an actual problem, or am I just doing something wrong...

    When I start up the game, I go through everything up to a Pokemon battle, and then there's nothing there. Just two spots where the sprites should be. Then, if I try checking my Pokemon in the party, the game crashes.

    I'll post the actual specifics of the crash if you guys say there's a legitimate problem, but before I did that I thought I'd see if I'm just not setting things up correctly.
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old December 25th, 2013 (1:04 PM).
    Worldslayer608's Avatar
    Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
    ಥдಥ
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: San Diego
    Age: 27
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 892
    Did you download the Pokemon Pack and apply the contents to the Essentials folders?
    __________________



    SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
    HARDCORE EDITION
    To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
    Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
    Reply With Quote
      #3    
    Old December 25th, 2013 (1:07 PM). Edited December 25th, 2013 by Jalla199.
    Jalla199 Jalla199 is offline
       
      Join Date: Dec 2013
      Posts: 12
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
      Did you download the Pokemon Pack and apply the contents to the Essentials folders?
      ....probably not.

      Edit: Ok, got the pack, thought it was working, and it's still crashing.

      It says:

      Script 'SpriteWindow' line 218: RuntimeError occured.

      filename is nil
      Reply With Quote
        #4    
      Old December 25th, 2013 (1:27 PM).
      Worldslayer608's Avatar
      Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
      ಥдಥ
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Mar 2008
      Location: San Diego
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Calm
      Posts: 892
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Jalla199 View Post
      ....probably not.

      Edit: Ok, got the pack, thought it was working, and it's still crashing.

      It says:

      Script 'SpriteWindow' line 218: RuntimeError occured.

      filename is nil
      Have you had a previous version of Essentials or another RMXP fangame at one point?

      Try this:

      In your Saved Games folder (Somewhere in your profile documents), you will see a file called Game.rxdata or perhaps just Game. If you do not see either of those, look for a Pokemon Essentials Folder and open it.

      Delete that file.

      Reload and it should fix the crash.

      Assuming it is the error I think it is, the above should fix it. If not, please provide more information about the crash. What are you doing when it happens? Are you using an unmodified version of Essentials v13?
      __________________



      SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
      HARDCORE EDITION
      To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
      Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
      Reply With Quote
        #5    
      Old December 25th, 2013 (1:39 PM).
      Jalla199 Jalla199 is offline
         
        Join Date: Dec 2013
        Posts: 12
        I literally bought the program and downloaded essentials today (now with the Pokemon pack >.>) so a former program or fan game isn't the problem.

        Also, the problem is still there...

        Should the Essentials folder be inside another project folder or on its own on the desktop?
        Reply With Quote
          #6    
        Old December 25th, 2013 (1:44 PM).
        Worldslayer608's Avatar
        Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
        ಥдಥ
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Mar 2008
        Location: San Diego
        Age: 27
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 892
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Jalla199 View Post
        I literally bought the program and downloaded essentials today (now with the Pokemon pack >.>) so a former program or fan game isn't the problem.

        Also, the problem is still there...

        Should the Essentials folder be inside another project folder or on its own on the desktop?
        I had the line 218 from SpriteWindow issue recently, and RMXP was trying to load the old save file and that is where it directed me. My understanding of the 218 error is that there is a failure to load a logged image. Removing the save file worked for me, but I have bumped into it a few other times where it was not the issue as well. Removing it is just a step in isolating the issue as best as we can so we can resolve it.

        No, the folder is fine on the desktop.

        What are you doing when you are encountering the error?
        __________________



        SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
        HARDCORE EDITION
        To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
        Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
        Reply With Quote
          #7    
        Old December 25th, 2013 (1:56 PM). Edited December 25th, 2013 by Jalla199.
        Jalla199 Jalla199 is offline
           
          Join Date: Dec 2013
          Posts: 12
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
          I had the line 218 from SpriteWindow issue recently, and RMXP was trying to load the old save file and that is where it directed me. My understanding of the 218 error is that there is a failure to load a logged image. Removing the save file worked for me, but I have bumped into it a few other times where it was not the issue as well. Removing it is just a step in isolating the issue as best as we can so we can resolve it.

          No, the folder is fine on the desktop.

          What are you doing when you are encountering the error?
          I start the game from the application in the folder

          Start a new game

          Get Pokemon from Mom downstairs

          Open menu with x, select Pokemon (as in to look at party in general)

          Game crashes, same error message...

          Edit: How would I remove an old save file?
          Reply With Quote
            #8    
          Old December 25th, 2013 (2:16 PM).
          Worldslayer608's Avatar
          Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
          ಥдಥ
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Mar 2008
          Location: San Diego
          Age: 27
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Calm
          Posts: 892
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Jalla199 View Post
          I start the game from the application in the folder

          Start a new game

          Get Pokemon from Mom downstairs

          Open menu with x, select Pokemon

          Game crashes, same error message...

          Edit: How would I remove an old save file?
          Is this the error you are getting?

          Spoiler:
          ---------------------------
          Pokemon Essentials
          ---------------------------
          Exception: RuntimeError

          Message: filename is nil

          SpriteWindow:218:in `initialize'

          PokemonSprite:113:in `new'

          PokemonSprite:113:in `pokemon='

          PokemonSprite:99:in `initialize'

          PokemonLoad:166:in `new'

          PokemonLoad:166:in `pbSetParty'

          PokemonLoad:165:in `each'

          PokemonLoad:165:in `pbSetParty'

          PokemonLoad:317:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

          DebugIntro:6:in `main'



          This exception was logged in

          C:\Users\Chris\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

          Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
          ---------------------------
          OK
          ---------------------------


          I am not experiencing it, and the only way I can replicate it is by forcing the game to load a save file that is not from the unmodified version of Essentials.

          The wrong saved game, will crash upon starting up the game and at the load screen where it would be otherwise loading the pokemon icon file.

          Since you are opening the Pokemon menu from the initial menu I am going to say it is something with your icons folder, assuming that you and I are seeing the same error here.

          Please double check the following folder within the Pokemon Essentials folder to make sure that the icons are in there correctly.

          Pokémon Essentials v13 2012-12-02\Graphics\Icons

          I am going to assume the probably are, and if that is the case, delete the folder, download Essentials again, apply the Pokemon Pack and then try it again.

          From here I am going to take a shot in the dark and assume you are going to get the same crash, if this is the case, please go to

          C:\Users\Username\Saved Games

          *Replace Username with whatever your user account name is on your computer.

          and look for the save file titles "Game". It may be in a folder called Pokemon Essentials. Delete this file.

          Once again, this is assuming we are seeing the same error. Because that is what I can replicate from the info you have given me, and that is how I am able to fix it every time I replicate it.
          __________________



          SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
          HARDCORE EDITION
          To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
          Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
          Reply With Quote
            #9    
          Old December 25th, 2013 (2:32 PM). Edited December 25th, 2013 by Jalla199.
          Jalla199 Jalla199 is offline
             
            Join Date: Dec 2013
            Posts: 12
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
            Is this the error you are getting?

            Spoiler:
            ---------------------------
            Pokemon Essentials
            ---------------------------
            Exception: RuntimeError

            Message: filename is nil

            SpriteWindow:218:in `initialize'

            PokemonSprite:113:in `new'

            PokemonSprite:113:in `pokemon='

            PokemonSprite:99:in `initialize'

            PokemonLoad:166:in `new'

            PokemonLoad:166:in `pbSetParty'

            PokemonLoad:165:in `each'

            PokemonLoad:165:in `pbSetParty'

            PokemonLoad:317:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

            DebugIntro:6:in `main'



            This exception was logged in

            C:\Users\Chris\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

            Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
            ---------------------------
            OK
            ---------------------------


            I am not experiencing it, and the only way I can replicate it is by forcing the game to load a save file that is not from the unmodified version of Essentials.

            The wrong saved game, will crash upon starting up the game and at the load screen where it would be otherwise loading the pokemon icon file.

            Since you are opening the Pokemon menu from the initial menu I am going to say it is something with your icons folder, assuming that you and I are seeing the same error here.

            Please double check the following folder within the Pokemon Essentials folder to make sure that the icons are in there correctly.

            Pokémon Essentials v13 2012-12-02\Graphics\Icons

            I am going to assume the probably are, and if that is the case, delete the folder, download Essentials again, apply the Pokemon Pack and then try it again.

            From here I am going to take a shot in the dark and assume you are going to get the same crash, if this is the case, please go to

            C:\Users\Username\Saved Games

            *Replace Username with whatever your user account name is on your computer.

            and look for the save file titles "Game". It may be in a folder called Pokemon Essentials. Delete this file.

            Once again, this is assuming we are seeing the same error. Because that is what I can replicate from the info you have given me, and that is how I am able to fix it every time I replicate it.
            Well...

            That isn't the error message I'm getting, it only said/says:

            Script 'SpriteWindow' line 218: RuntimeError occured.

            filename is nil

            I'm going to try deleting and re-downloading everything...

            Thanks for all your help so far...

            Edit: Even after re-downloading everything, putting in the Pokemon Pack this time, the sprites and Pokemon party still don't work...

            But the problem with not being able to move the arrow was fixed at least...
            Reply With Quote
              #10    
            Old December 25th, 2013 (2:40 PM).
            Worldslayer608's Avatar
            Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
            ಥдಥ
            • Silver Tier
             
            Join Date: Mar 2008
            Location: San Diego
            Age: 27
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Calm
            Posts: 892
            Okay, so you are currently not launching the game from RMXP itself, instead the Game.exe from the Essentials folder I take it?

            If so, please launch from RMXP and do what you are normally doing, and copy the error code if it pops up.
            __________________



            SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
            HARDCORE EDITION
            To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
            Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
            Reply With Quote
              #11    
            Old December 25th, 2013 (8:10 PM).
            Jalla199 Jalla199 is offline
               
              Join Date: Dec 2013
              Posts: 12
              ---------------------------
              Pokemon Essentials
              ---------------------------
              Exception: RuntimeError

              Message: filename is nil

              SpriteWindow:218:in `initialize'

              PokemonSprite:113:in `new'

              PokemonSprite:113:in `pokemon='

              PokemonSprite:99:in `initialize'

              PokemonParty:341:in `new'

              PokemonParty:341:in `initialize'

              PokemonParty:614:in `new'

              PokemonParty:614:in `pbStartScene'

              PokemonParty:612:in `each'

              PokemonParty:612:in `pbStartScene'



              This exception was logged in

              C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

              Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
              ---------------------------
              OK
              ---------------------------
              Reply With Quote
                #12    
              Old December 25th, 2013 (8:59 PM).
              Worldslayer608's Avatar
              Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
              ಥдಥ
              • Silver Tier
               
              Join Date: Mar 2008
              Location: San Diego
              Age: 27
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Calm
              Posts: 892
              Your Pokemon Icons are not in the right folder.

              What is happening here, is when you open the menu, the script is trying to place the icon images and failing to find them.

              Open up your Pokemon Essentials folder, open up the Graphics Folder, then open up the Icons folder. The icons are not there or in another folder inside of the Icons folder, right?

              I have replicated this exact error by simply cutting out all of the icons from the icon folder within the graphics folder, so you have messed something up somewhere here.
              __________________



              SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
              HARDCORE EDITION
              To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
              Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
              Reply With Quote
                #13    
              Old December 26th, 2013 (7:48 AM).
              Jalla199 Jalla199 is offline
                 
                Join Date: Dec 2013
                Posts: 12
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
                Your Pokemon Icons are not in the right folder.

                What is happening here, is when you open the menu, the script is trying to place the icon images and failing to find them.

                Open up your Pokemon Essentials folder, open up the Graphics Folder, then open up the Icons folder. The icons are not there or in another folder inside of the Icons folder, right?

                I have replicated this exact error by simply cutting out all of the icons from the icon folder within the graphics folder, so you have messed something up somewhere here.
                Ok, in the icons folder there was an empty footprints folder.

                I removed it, leaving only icons.

                Opened again with the editor

                Played through a test and got what appears to be the same message:

                ---------------------------
                Pokemon Essentials
                ---------------------------
                Exception: RuntimeError

                Message: filename is nil

                SpriteWindow:218:in `initialize'

                PokemonSprite:113:in `new'

                PokemonSprite:113:in `pokemon='

                PokemonSprite:99:in `initialize'

                PokemonParty:341:in `new'

                PokemonParty:341:in `initialize'

                PokemonParty:614:in `new'

                PokemonParty:614:in `pbStartScene'

                PokemonParty:612:in `each'

                PokemonParty:612:in `pbStartScene'
                Reply With Quote
                  #14    
                Old December 26th, 2013 (9:29 AM).
                Worldslayer608's Avatar
                Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                ಥдಥ
                • Silver Tier
                 
                Join Date: Mar 2008
                Location: San Diego
                Age: 27
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Calm
                Posts: 892
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Jalla199 View Post
                Ok, in the icons folder there was an empty footprints folder.

                I removed it, leaving only icons.

                Opened again with the editor

                Played through a test and got what appears to be the same message:

                ---------------------------
                Pokemon Essentials
                ---------------------------
                Exception: RuntimeError

                Message: filename is nil

                SpriteWindow:218:in `initialize'

                PokemonSprite:113:in `new'

                PokemonSprite:113:in `pokemon='

                PokemonSprite:99:in `initialize'

                PokemonParty:341:in `new'

                PokemonParty:341:in `initialize'

                PokemonParty:614:in `new'

                PokemonParty:614:in `pbStartScene'

                PokemonParty:612:in `each'

                PokemonParty:612:in `pbStartScene'
                Footprints will not give you the error you are seeing. However, you want the Footprints folder to exist, don't delete it. Also, download the Pokemon Pack and make sure the Footprints are in there, it cannot be empty.

                Just to be clear, when you applied the Pokemon Pack, how did you do it?

                Your path to the icon images should look something like this:

                Pokémon Essentials v13 2012-12-02\Graphics\Icons

                NOT

                Pokémon Essentials v13 2012-12-02\Graphics\Icons\Icons

                Unless this exact error can be caused by something other than Icons not being in the correct path, you have done something wrong with the way you applied the Pokemon Pack.
                __________________



                SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                HARDCORE EDITION
                To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                Reply With Quote
                  #15    
                Old December 26th, 2013 (10:09 AM).
                Jalla199 Jalla199 is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Dec 2013
                  Posts: 12
                  The path to the icons is alright. But the footprints folder in the icons folder that I deleted didn't have anything in it, is that a problem?

                  There are footprints in a folder in the graphics section of the Pokemon pack...

                  I applied the Pokemon pack by...well, just putting it in the overall essentials folder where the graphics and audio folders are. How ARE you supposed to apply it?
                  Reply With Quote
                    #16    
                  Old December 26th, 2013 (10:21 AM).
                  Worldslayer608's Avatar
                  Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                  ಥдಥ
                  • Silver Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Mar 2008
                  Location: San Diego
                  Age: 27
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Calm
                  Posts: 892
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Jalla199 View Post
                  The path to the icons is alright. But the footprints folder in the icons folder that I deleted didn't have anything in it, is that a problem?

                  There are footprints in a folder in the graphics section of the Pokemon pack...

                  I applied the Pokemon pack by...well, just putting it in the overall essentials folder where the graphics and audio folders are. How ARE you supposed to apply it?
                  Yeah, you did it wrong.

                  Open up the Pokemon Pack folder. Inside you will see a folder names Graphics.

                  Put that Graphics folder in your main Pokemon Essentials Folder and overwrite the existing Graphics folder.
                  __________________



                  SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                  HARDCORE EDITION
                  To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                  Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                  Reply With Quote
                    #17    
                  Old December 26th, 2013 (10:35 AM).
                  Jalla199 Jalla199 is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Dec 2013
                    Posts: 12
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
                    Yeah, you did it wrong.

                    Open up the Pokemon Pack folder. Inside you will see a folder names Graphics.

                    Put that Graphics folder in your main Pokemon Essentials Folder and overwrite the existing Graphics folder.
                    Overwrite as in...?

                    Replace, place inside it, copy it?

                    The information in the two graphics folders are different, and there's audio in the Pokemon pack, so do I need to put that in the essentials folder too?

                    Thanks to whoever made this a topic. Sorry for MAKING this a topic in the first place -.-
                    Reply With Quote
                      #18    
                    Old December 26th, 2013 (10:39 AM).
                    Worldslayer608's Avatar
                    Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                    ಥдಥ
                    • Silver Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Mar 2008
                    Location: San Diego
                    Age: 27
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 892
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Jalla199 View Post
                    Overwrite as in...?

                    Replace, place inside it, copy it?

                    The information in the two graphics folders are different, and there's audio in the Pokemon pack, so do I need to put that in the essentials folder too?

                    Thanks to whoever made this a topic. Sorry for MAKING this a topic in the first place -.-
                    Replace...

                    Yes, do the same with the audio folder.
                    __________________



                    SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                    HARDCORE EDITION
                    To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                    Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                    Reply With Quote
                      #19    
                    Old December 26th, 2013 (10:58 AM).
                    Jalla199 Jalla199 is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Dec 2013
                      Posts: 12
                      OK, I took the audio folder and placed everything in it into the audio folder in essentials. Lather, rinse and repeated this with the graphics contents in the Pokemon pack.

                      Now, so far as I can tell, it works perfectly.

                      Thanks Worldslayer. Obviously I made this more work than it should have taken, so thank you for your patience and all your help.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #20    
                      Old December 26th, 2013 (11:11 AM).
                      Worldslayer608's Avatar
                      Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                      ಥдಥ
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Mar 2008
                      Location: San Diego
                      Age: 27
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Calm
                      Posts: 892
                      Glad it we got it worked out for you. At least now, there is a walk through for someone else should they find themselves with the same issue.

                      If you run into future crashes, replicate it in the test game you launch from RMXP, that way you get information on the crash. When we first started, the crash gave me little info and it directed me to a common save file crash people get.
                      __________________



                      SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                      HARDCORE EDITION
                      To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                      Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                      Reply With Quote
                      Reply
                      Quick Reply

                      Sponsored Links
                      Thread Tools

                      Posting Rules
                      You may not post new threads
                      You may not post replies
                      You may not post attachments
                      You may not edit your posts

                      BB code is On
                      Smilies are On
                      [IMG] code is On
                      HTML code is Off

                      Forum Jump


                      All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:25 AM.