• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN FULL] Pokemon Fallout [M] (Part 2/OOC)

Nate

Evil Cute Thing
Years
I like your su Heretostay, I don't see any flaws, but yellow may haha. Like the choice as well! This is certainly a bit more positive than few.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Sooo is it okay if my characters mom was a hooker then gets murdered? I like going dark but, just seeing if i'm pushing the limits here :p

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Heretostay: Good to go~ Welcome back!

@Apollo: Uh--In theory? There's nothing wrong with that in an M rp I'd think. In practice however I don't think it's appropriate for Fallout's actual setting. The reason? There's no economy. What would they even pay with, Food? Seems a bit sketchy to me.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
@Apollo: Uh--In theory? There's nothing wrong with that in an M rp I'd think. In practice however I don't think it's appropriate for Fallout's actual setting. The reason? There's no economy. What would they even pay with, Food? Seems a bit sketchy to me.
Well there are other things it could be for. A place to stay, care for the child, or other favors.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Ohhh lol XD didn't think through that one... I kinda thought it was like the Fallout Universe where people are still established in stuff just in a messed up world...

So there's no economy at all? So like were on a zombie status?

Dawn

Years
@Apollo: I'm afraid not. This RP isn't actually based on the Fallout series at all~ Civilization is at a bare minimum.

Khawill

<3
Years
Ohhh lol XD didn't think through that one... I kinda thought it was like the Fallout Universe where people are still established in stuff just in a messed up world...

So there's no economy at all? So like were on a zombie status?

A world without some kind of Economy would be impossible IMO. I can't think of a time where people were not using something to trade with each other (Excluding the non-human cavemen of course). During WW2 when money was useless to soldiers, they still managed to use cigarettes as a form of currency, and technically trading things I'd a type of currency.

Even in a world like this, unless everyone is a tyrant murderer or serial killer, I could think of pretty useful things. You could sell protection for services, food for items (such as weapons), or even use clothing as a currency (even if the size didn't fit somebody, they could always rip it up to make it smaller, or hold on to it until they could trade it away to somebody it did fit).

Specialized jobs may not exist sure, but around a thousand people (the rough population of the region) being either murderers, theives, or people sitting around wouldn't really be too realistic. Scavengers are going to have days where they find a lot of food, and maybe they will want protection, so they will hire a bodyguard with a portion of that food. Theives will steal things they can't possibly use (like books, maybe instruments, clothing that doesn't fit) and so they will maybe trade that for food or protection. Killers who are not completely insane could take over a small group of scavengers and trade protection for food.

Hookers in my mind would fit in fairly well. Without details, they would keep people entertained. People will always want entertainment, regardless of how bad the world is. Realistically being a hooker in this enviroment would be very risky. But there are things she can trade for sure, food (since she might not be strong or fast enough to scavenge or steal her own), protection (again, extremely important in a world like this. The people with the biggest guns will dominate this economy), and maybe even clothing.

@PinkSapphire Reading would have to be something that is passed down from one person to the next. Unlike instruments where people can teach themselves, books are not as easy. A person would have to know exactly what the book sounds like, as in somebody would have to read it to them. From there you could probably learn entirely to read with enough time, energy, and intelligence. Otherwise somebody would have to teach you how to read the old fashion way (letter, letter sounds, sounding out, word structure.)

That being said, it is possible to know how to read still. Such a skill would certainly be handed down to at least a handful of people (the last RP I believe one character knew how to read, maybe two), and it wouldn't be much of a stretch for your character to have met one of these people. I know Spark did in the last RP, and could read and write well enough to write gravestones, and Oriana knows how to write letters, and form words that Spark showed her (though I can't say she can read, because she can really only make simple headstone comments, and names).

That's all of my opinion on the two subjects raised, I could be wrong, but that's just wha I think.

Nate

Evil Cute Thing
Years
Well it's certainly ideas, but I get wrong for saying anything wrong off yellow, she has the best idea of the scenery after all Ahaha!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
A world without some kind of Economy would be impossible IMO. I can't think of a time where people were not using something to trade with each other (Excluding the non-human cavemen of course). During WW2 when money was useless to soldiers, they still managed to use cigarettes as a form of currency, and technically trading things I'd a type of currency.

Even in a world like this, unless everyone is a tyrant murderer or serial killer, I could think of pretty useful things. You could sell protection for services, food for items (such as weapons), or even use clothing as a currency (even if the size didn't fit somebody, they could always rip it up to make it smaller, or hold on to it until they could trade it away to somebody it did fit).

Specialized jobs may not exist sure, but around a thousand people (the rough population of the region) being either murderers, theives, or people sitting around wouldn't really be too realistic. Scavengers are going to have days where they find a lot of food, and maybe they will want protection, so they will hire a bodyguard with a portion of that food. Theives will steal things they can't possibly use (like books, maybe instruments, clothing that doesn't fit) and so they will maybe trade that for food or protection. Killers who are not completely insane could take over a small group of scavengers and trade protection for food.

Hookers in my mind would fit in fairly well. Without details, they would keep people entertained. People will always want entertainment, regardless of how bad the world is. Realistically being a hooker in this enviroment would be very risky. But there are things she can trade for sure, food (since she might not be strong or fast enough to scavenge or steal her own), protection (again, extremely important in a world like this. The people with the biggest guns will dominate this economy), and maybe even clothing.
As Yellow said, there's no unified form of economy. From what I've observed, exactly how things get done is relative to the person in question. The age of pokedollars has fallen, as has the time of unified regions. People are more or less on their own, they don't have any way of regulating any sort of economy. As such, each settlement or group has their own means of getting what they want at any point in time, but what those desires are aren't the same for everyone, and thus, because there is no unified currency, what is needed to meet those desires is different.

It's more of a relative economy, often times one that borrows on the Barter System. Some people want slaves, most people want food. Trade slaves for food. Not everyone wants slaves? See what else they want. They want protection? If it means you get food, why not go for it. It's because of the semi-individual and relative nature of the economy that you cannot really call it a unified one, and technically it isn't an economy at all. Going with what you stated, there are still limitless things that people can do for one another, but those are favors in exchange for favors, and because of the range of dissonance between the favors and acts that you may not be able to call favors that you can't really call that an economy either.

As for the whole prostitution debacle...I really think that would be more in line with slavery and servitude, which has been confirmed to exist in the world of Pokemon Fallout (though, to my knowledge, it only included kids). If it were for personal gain, I'm not exactly sure whether it'd be prostitution or just sex...but only in this setting, not in real life (in real life it could go either way). I mean, when you consider that she's getting something back in return that would be more or less a favor, it seems more as if she's trading pleasure for favors (prostituting herself out) rather than placing herself in sexual servitude (becoming a prostitute). Eh...it could go either way on that one.

Khawill

<3
Years
The world's economy isn't regulated sure, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. As a matter of fact the kind of economy in this world would be considered an extreme Laissez-faire economy. Even more so, it would be similar to a sort of anarchic, unregulated capitalism. No money is really needed because other things work better in its place.

Using food as a currency is a great example. Everybody needs food, and since it is scarce, it is expensive (supply and demand). Therefore people who can get a lot of food efficiently (or control it) are going to be able to control what they want for the food if they are willing to trade it (which would be the price).

To say there is no controlled economy would be spot on, but to say there is no economy because everyone is working for their own benefit only would be fairly incorrect. Working to benefit one's self is how capitalism works so well in the first place. As a matter of fact, this RP could be an example of how too much capitalism and a Laissez-faire economy would be a very bad thing.

Money is just a way to simplify trades. The absence of it may make a more complicated economy, but it certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all. After all, "favors" would be considered a currency (favors seem like services to me.)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
The world's economy isn't regulated sure, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. As a matter of fact the kind of economy in this world would be considered an extreme Laissez-faire economy. Even more so, it would be similar to a sort of anarchic, unregulated capitalism. No money is really needed because other things work better in its place.

Using food as a currency is a great example. Everybody needs food, and since it is scarce, it is expensive (supply and demand). Therefore people who can get a lot of food efficiently (or control it) are going to be able to control what they want for the food if they are willing to trade it (which would be the price).

To say there is no controlled economy would be spot on, but to say there is no economy because everyone is working for their own benefit only would be fairly incorrect. Working to benefit one's self is how capitalism works so well in the first place. As a matter of fact, this RP could be an example of how too much capitalism and a Laissez-faire economy would be a very bad thing.

Money is just a way to simplify trades. The absence of it may make a more complicated economy, but it certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all. After all, "favors" would be considered a currency (favors seem like services to me.)
Favors indeed could be considered a form of currency, but they are also a fundamental facet of nature. Humans aren't the only ones to do favors for others, and in a world like Fallout it would simply be complicated symbiosis for it to exist. In that sense, simply saying that favors = economy is just a redundancy, because that could be said for basically any universe in any fiction or non-fiction. Similarly, I can see why pointing out that there is some form of economy is necessary, but I think that that much is recognized by most of the members in some sense.

Dawn

Years
Oh boy~ :P

The thing about bartering is that there's not enough food to go around, and finding food can be a very competitive sport. This means that food is infinitely more valuable than anything you could possibly buy with it and is what most people want at the same time. Most normal humans can potentially spend entire days searching for food and not finding it.

Pokespirit Wielders catch a bit of a break via super senses or the ability to eat things normal humans would consider toxic or inedible. Walking around is also much less tiring for someone with super powers.

What I'm saying is that even the bartering economy has crashed and there's nothing to fall back on. Prostitution is simply not a viable business right now. One of the very few business that still works are doctors. When your business is helping other people survive it's a lot easier to get them to work with you.

Geras

Roleplayer
Years
I usually don't make too many edits, but it's because I spend hours upon hours on my SU in the first place making sure I can be satisfied with it before I post it.

Is it ok to assume that John was taught to read by his dad? I'll make an edit to clarify this.

Nate

Evil Cute Thing
Years
I just write it up click send then wait for a reply usualyy coz I'm super lazy :3

But what am I talking about I'm not even making an su

Last edited:

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
Years
Okay since, most of you'll guys are debating about whether their characters should know to read or not, I've decided that Harry knows how to read. Let's assume that Arthur, who's a very educated pokemon teaches Harry stuff when he's free.

Also, I like DemonicWolf am very lazy and don't bother to edit at all. I'm trying to gain that good habit though.

Back