• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I don't know why I said yesterday was the last day but TODAY is the last day to redeem the One Year Anniversary event code. Merry Christmas everybody!

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
I got a 3ds and pokemon X today so im going to take a short break :) merry Christmas all! Pm me if you want my friend code

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Here's my first update for my Dragon run on Y! I chose Fennekin because I already have Chespin and Froakie on my copy of X, and just rushed through as much as I could to get to Route 8. I then spent some time backtracking and in the Battle Chateau to level up Bagon a bit before proceeding. Not too much later, I got the Jaw Fossil and revived it to get my second team member, Tyrunt! I then went north to Cyllage City, spent some time in Route 10 leveling up to level 26, then took on Grant. Amaura went down to a couple of AncientPowers from Tyrunt, the Bagon almost took out Tyrunt before Grant healed and knocked Bagon out. After healing my Tyrunt of paralysis, I was able to take care of his Tyrunt, earning my second gym badge! Check out the spoiler for a bulleted update.
Spoiler:

Team:
371.png
Bagon / lv26 / Rage, Bite, Ember, Headbutt
696.png
Tyrunt / lv27 / AncientPower, Stealth Rock, Bite, Charm

Type:
dragon.png

✔Pokemon LeafGreen Version
dragonite.png
dragonite.png

✔Pokemon HeartGold Version
dragonite.png
kingdra.png

✔Pokemon Emerald Version
salamence.png
altaria.png
flygon.png

✔Pokemon Platinum Version
garchomp.png
altaria.png

✔Pokemon Black 2 Version
hydreigon.png
flygon.png
haxorus.png

Pokemon Y Version
371.png
696.png

Years
Now there is one thing I feel a need to go back and address:

This is incorrect. Once you have your type you are not to use your starter any more. The only time that it's okay to use a Pokemon not of your type is if you need to evolve a Pokemon to get him to learn HMs, and even then only training against wild Pokemon.

All this time prior to that post, I thought you could, but with all due respect, I don't think not being able to is fair.

What if the first Pokémon of your type is insanely weak and can't fight worth a crap? I tried to pick up X to finish up my Ultimate Ground Monotype, and attempted to train up this Level 2 Bunnelby on its own without my starter, to no avail whatsoever. I can't beat a single Pokémon on Route 2 with it to save my life. I dish out pathetic damage to them while almost everything kills it in two hits.

I mean, it's not like you're using your starter against Gym Leaders or such, so what does it really matter? And please don't say "you want a challenge don't you" stuff; I do understand that but when your first Pokémon is Level 2 and can't kill anything, let alone inflict any significant damage to them, it just makes things horribly inconvenient.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
any time i needed a poke from the very start of the game (hello kricketot) i just used the starter to raise it 1-2 levels so it could actually fight stuff then boxed the starter forever more which i feel should be fine.

anyway update on Black 2
Spoiler:

Current Team
Spoiler:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Now there is one thing I feel a need to go back and address:

All this time prior to that post, I thought you could, but with all due respect, I don't think not being able to is fair.

What if the first Pokémon of your type is insanely weak and can't fight worth a crap? I tried to pick up X to finish up my Ultimate Ground Monotype, and attempted to train up this Level 2 Bunnelby on its own without my starter, to no avail whatsoever. I can't beat a single Pokémon on Route 2 with it to save my life. I dish out pathetic damage to them while almost everything kills it in two hits.

I mean, it's not like you're using your starter against Gym Leaders or such, so what does it really matter? And please don't say "you want a challenge don't you" stuff; I do understand that but when your first Pokémon is Level 2 and can't kill anything, let alone inflict any significant damage to them, it just makes things horribly inconvenient.
You're missing the context of the original question. We were talking about a Dragon type Pokemon which by no means would be unable to fight for itself. My main concern is that you don't use your starter on any trainers after you get your type.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Merry Monotype Christmas, everyone!
So where to start? It's gonna be some derp type in Platinum... ah, figure it out later.

Dark monotype - SS
I've defeated all the gym leaders finally. Now I have to make it through Whirl Islands. But uhhh, I've lost my motivation. (I hate caves.) Short update is short.

Blaki'

I wonder what's for dinner :3
Years
Spoiler:

I started my challenge on HeartGold, I picked Cyndaquil, and left him when I finally got my first pokeballs. Then I caught a Sentret. I also hacked in a Kangaskhan, a pokemon I could catch in the first area of the Poke Walker. (I asked if I can but my question was skipped so I assume I could do this. If not, tell me quickly please ^^'). Then, after a little bit of training, I finished the Bellsprout Tower and took on Falkner. This wasn't a difficult battle at all, and I won the Zephyr Badge. =)

My team :
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Update

Headed east to Route 11 and defeated all trainers.
Meowth evolves into Persian.
I returned to the Cerulean City and went east to Route 9 & 10.
Found Ariel Ace and taught it to Persian.
Went through Rock Tunnel, Pretty annoying without flash.
Arrived eventually in Lavender Town only to go west to Route 8.
Travelled through the Tunnel and reached Celadon City.
Took on the gym which was easy with Pidgeotto's Wing Attack and I got my 4th badge.
Went to the rocket hideout and defeated all rockets and Giovanni.
Headed east and gave the guard the tea at the gate, continued east through Saffron City to Lavender Town.
Gave Persian the BlackGlasses and entered the Pokémon Tower, defeated my rival and continue my way up the tower.
Rescued the old man from team rocket and he gave me the Poké Flute.
Went west back to Saffron City and got Psychic from Mr. Psychic's house.
Thought about taking on the Dojo but decided not to I may come back to it...

The Team

Persian, - L40
Ability: Pickup
Moves: Cut, Aerial Ace, Bite, Shock Wave

Pidgeot, - L36
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Tackle, Sand-Attack, Wing Attack, Quick Attack

Raticate, - L39
Ability: Run Away
Moves: Dig, Thief, Quick Attack, Hyper Fang

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Here's the second update for my Dragon run on Y! I'm looking forward to catching my fourth team member, Goomy pretty soon!

- Traveled to Geosenge Town
- Bagon evolved into Shelgon
- Defeated Korrina
- Traveled to Shalour City
- Entered the Tower of Mastery
- Defeated Serena
- Defeated Korrina
- Traveled to Coumarine City
- Received the Good Rod
- Tyrunt evolved into Tyrantrum
- Traveled back to Cyllage City
- Caught Skrelp
- Traveled back to Coumarine City
- Defeated Serena
- Defeated Ramos

Team:
372.png
Shelgon / lv41 / Dragon Breath, Bite, Ember, Zen Headbutt
697.png
Tryantrum / lv40 / AncientPower, Stealth Rock, Crunch, Dragon Claw
690.png
Skrelp / lv40 / Acid, Toxic, Sludge Bomb, Surf

Type:
dragon.png

✔Pokemon LeafGreen Version
dragonite.png
dragonite.png

✔Pokemon HeartGold Version
dragonite.png
kingdra.png

✔Pokemon Emerald Version
salamence.png
altaria.png
flygon.png

✔Pokemon Platinum Version
garchomp.png
altaria.png

✔Pokemon Black 2 Version
hydreigon.png
flygon.png
haxorus.png

Pokemon Y Version
372.png
697.png
690.png

Last edited:

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Update:
I BEAT GIOVANNI!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Got Rainbow Wing from Director.
-Went to route 44
-Got into ice path,was a breeze (fire powers go!)
-Taught BlazieChan Strength so he is now a full time HM slave...Cut,Rock smash and Strength..
-Arrived at Blackthorn city!
-DEFEATED CLAIRE! 8\8!
-Passed Dragon's den.
-Got my badge finally.
-Got master ball

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Spoiler:

I started my challenge on HeartGold, I picked Cyndaquil, and left him when I finally got my first pokeballs. Then I caught a Sentret. I also hacked in a Kangaskhan, a pokemon I could catch in the first area of the Poke Walker. (I asked if I can but my question was skipped so I assume I could do this. If not, tell me quickly please ^^'). Then, after a little bit of training, I finished the Bellsprout Tower and took on Falkner. This wasn't a difficult battle at all, and I won the Zephyr Badge. =)

My team :
Spoiler:
Sorry, when I read your question I didn't really understand it, and then I forgot about it. Hacking is still not allowed, sorry.

Blaki'

I wonder what's for dinner :3
Years
Oh ok, I've not been this far in the game, so that's ok. I'll just restart from the beginning.

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
Merry Monotype Christmas, everyone!

Thanks, I just scored myself a Squirtle for my Platinum Water run. I'll be posting a update for my Normal run later today.

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
I got an Aurorus as my second member and beat the 4th gym a couple days ago, forgot to update though.

Sorry about the small update, I'll post a better one when I get the 8th badge. :)

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
Years
Ruby Dragon SMC Update #IHonestlyHaveNoIdeaAndAmTooLazyToGoBackAndLook
Spoiler:

Years
Update

Next stop is the Silph Co building where I defeated all rockets and scientists.
Deafeted my Rival which was too easy.
Giovanni almost KO'd my team but I got him in the end.
Got the Master Ball from the old dude.
Took on the Gym and beat sabrina getting my 5th gym badge.
Headed west to route 16 and caught a sleeping Snorlax.
Got Fly and headed back to get the bike, Returned and headed throught the gate.
Beat all the Bikers and reached Fuchsia City
Took on and deafeted the gym using only Snorlax, getting my 6th gym badge...

The Team

Persian, ♀ - L47
Ability: Limber
Moves: Cut, Aerial Ace, Bite, Shock Wave

Pidgeot, ♀ - L42
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Tackle, Sand-Attack, Fly, Quick Attack

Raticate, ♂ - L42
Ability: Run Away
Moves: Dig, Thief, Quick Attack, Hyper Fang

Snorlax, ♂ - L36
Ability: Immunity