• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Favorite Pokémon Overworld

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
As we all know, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver came with overworld sprites for (then) all 493 Pokémon, to be used in the game pair's walking Pokémon feature.

Out of the many Pokémon overworld sprites, which one(s) would be your favorites? Elaborate as much as you'd like!

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Mine favorite was snorlax. Walking behind like a bodyguard.

Pinta77

Oh wow... sentret was kinda cool. And I had a glaceon for awhile that was also really cool. Maybe dragonite was my favorite though.

Years
Magikarp and Pikachu.

1. Magikarp - I like it flopping on the ground (I don't really remember.)

2. Pikachu - It reminds me of Yellow version.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Any shiny Pokemon. The fact that they even implemented shiny overworlds - such a minute detail - makes me love them. I also particularly like the legendaries, especially the really big ones such as Girantina, Ho-oh and Lugia. I very much enjoyed walking around town with this massive companion behind me, haha.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I personally liked Blastoise's overworld sprite; it looked quite epic to me. I liked Metagross' sprite too, as well as Pikachu. There are many other OWs that I like, but these are the only ones I could think of right now from the top of my head.

Years
135.png

This little guy right here. I always put my Jolteon in my first slot when I played HG since it was just so cute!

MeetMeInUtopia

Do You Think you can tell...
Years
I enjoyed watching Meganium, Steelix, and Infernape walk behind me when I had my original Heartgold. The pokemon seemed genuinely happy which made me happy haha

Years
I loved seeing Wailord, Rayquaza, Ho-oh and other large Pokemon following behind me, just because of how ridiculous it seemed. Diglett and Dugtrio were interesting too, as they'd just go right through ledges rather than jump over them, which I though was some nice attention to detail.

As for my favorite though, I'd have to go with Butterfree. I had it following me around for at least 75% of the game, and any other Pokemon just felt out of place behind me.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
Omg, I kinda liked all the Eevee evolutions walking behind you, they just looked so adorably imo! :3 I also loved it how they put the shiny details into it too, if a Pokemon was shiny! ;)
Sometimes it was just TOO FUN to kinda troll your game, taking some overly too large or hillarious looking Pokemon out just to see what it would look like when they are walking with you outside xD ROFL... points at Wailord :3

But, here the ones I liked the most:
- Cyndaquil (<3)
- Pikachu
- Pidgeot (just so adorable having a flying bird behind you!)
- Eevee evolutions
- Charizard (amazing having a Dragon with you rofl)
- Dratini (cute!)
- Dragonair (looked really pretty)
- Dragonite (cute as well!)
- Arcanine (amazingly done! I always liked Arcanine, so amazing to have him walking behind you)
- Nidoking/Nidoqueen
- Rhydon
- Steelix ROFL, HILLARIOUS xD!!! Remember some Pokemon were TOO LARGE to fit through the door in the Pokemon Center for example, so you had to retreat them inside their Pokeballs in order to walk in the Pokemon Center or other buildings, but they still looked awesome! :3
- Same above for Gyarados xD (I still love you rofl)

The ones I didn't like that much (sometimes you catch a Pokemon and it looks awesome, while the "walking-sprite" doesn't unfortunately...):
- Kingdra
- Houndoom
- Feraligatr
- Typhlosion
- Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam
- Tyranitar

So, I was sold when Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver came out because it was so adorable and amazing to have the "Pokemon-walking-with-you" concept back after Yellow (it was only Pikachu but still so cute in 8-bit rofl) :)
I still hope someday it will be possible again (or you can choose wether you want to walk with your Pokemon outside of your Pokeball or not)!

Would love to have a walking Fennekin/Braixen/Delphox behind me! :3

Last edited:

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I liked it when my Togetic followed me. :) It was like a little fairy following around me on my journey, maybe a bit like in LoZ games. You don't get the Shiny Stone until late-Kanto, so I got to enjoy it for a long time.

Back