• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Things look awful in filthy console peasant land! Come join the PC Master Race empire instead! No worries about system makers going under, just whether your preferred digital distribution company will survive! :P

Being more serious, I think Nintendo has a decent piece of hardware in the Wii U, they just need to catch back up to their competitors performance-wise next gen and not make the same mistake they did with the GameCube by choosing a media format too small for the major games of the generation. And they need to improve online play. It's still a mess on the Wii U and needs to be rectified ASAP. The solution on the 3DS is serviceable given the target market of their handhelds, though it could still do with some improvement.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
If you think Nintendo should follow the same way as Microsoft and Sony in order to survive and not take the SEGA debacle, then you are sadly mistaken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M4LwNOL0jf4

Nintendo has a philosophy of not following the bandwagon by every other company and do their own thing. Besides, a lot of gamers aren't fond with Xbone nor the PS4 because of the sloppy third-party titles, first-party titles not meeting critical expectations (ex: Knack), hardware problems, and the recent shot down of net neutrality.

I must agree with the guy in the video, and, by extension, with you... I want Nintendo to succeed, but I don't want the success to be with an all-out powerful machine that's basically an imitation of its competitors. This would be against everything Nintendo stands for.

He concentrates on the home console market but this also has significance for the handheld market. Nintendo made it viable to game with touch controls and the stereoscopic 3D of the 3DS is far more innovative than the pure horsepower of the PSVita. I love playing games in 3D. The handheld market shows that power isn't all that matters.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I must agree with the guy in the video, and, by extension, with you... I want Nintendo to succeed, but I don't want the success to be with an all-out powerful machine that's basically an imitation of its competitors. This would be against everything Nintendo stands for.

He concentrates on the home console market but this also has significance for the handheld market. Nintendo made it viable to game with touch controls and the stereoscopic 3D of the 3DS is far more innovative than the pure horsepower of the PSVita. I love playing games in 3D. The handheld market shows that power isn't all that matters.

If we're talking about sales, then power has never been THE significant factor. The strongest console has never been first place in its generation, no matter how much the marketers might drone on about triangles and blast processing and other buzzwords.

Speaking of buzzwords, I think entitlement is probably the worst buzzword going around. The entire word itself is anti-consumer at its core and I can't imagine a situation where calling someone entitled would be anything more than ad hominem.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I agree with this completely. I do like Nintendo's products, but their online infrastructure is lackluster, to say the least. When the services went out worldwide just after Christmas, it really shows that Nintendo needs to upgrade their servers from the Windows 3.0 that they seem to be running and get into the 21st century.

Yeah that kind of thing can happen when like a server gets overloaded but what can we do. Nintendo now knows that they need to fix that and they will.

Anyone know any good RPG's for the PSP with or without voice acting and no strategic RPG's like final fantasy tactics of tactics ogre I'm looking at like typical pokemon battles.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
If we're talking about sales, then power has never been THE significant factor. The strongest console has never been first place in its generation, no matter how much the marketers might drone on about triangles and blast processing and other buzzwords.
Funny thing is, the weakest console won the last three generations. PS1 (I don't think it was proven that the saturn was weaker though, but it probably is right? But then there's also the whole Dreamcast situation, which ended up being Sega's console for that generation fairly quickly.), PS2 and Wii.

Obviously, it won't happen this time, unless you want to count handhelds I guess.

And there isn't a word that I hate more than "entitled". That crap is thrown around way too often.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Funny thing is, the weakest console won the last three generations. PS1 (I don't think it was proven that the saturn was weaker though, but it probably is right? But then there's also the whole Dreamcast situation, which ended up being Sega's console for that generation fairly quickly.), PS2 and Wii.

Obviously, it won't happen this time, unless you want to count handhelds I guess.

And there isn't a word that I hate more than "entitled". That crap is thrown around way too often.

The Dreamcast is considered the same gen as the PS2. It was the weakest, and lost.

The Wii won in terms of sales but not in terms of hype, lol. "Hardcore" gamers (I speak sarcastically here) keep ignoring it.

Reactions: T!M

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
The Dreamcast is considered the same gen as the PS2. It was the weakest, and lost.

The Wii won in terms of sales but not in terms of hype, lol. "Hardcore" gamers (I speak sarcastically here) keep ignoring it.

I wouldn't say Hardcore gamers because the Wii has some very good RPG's though gameplay is a bit tedious. The fanboys of each console are as bad as each other.

Still looking for PSP jRPG recommendations

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
I hate the term hardcore and casual. I just view everyone that games as gamers. I mean I play Uncharted which people view as hardcore but will also play fun stuff like Ace Attorney which is kiddy.

Reactions: T!M

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I hate the term hardcore and casual. I just view everyone that games as gamers. I mean I play Uncharted which people view as hardcore but will also play fun stuff like Ace Attorney which is kiddy.
I don't know if I'd call Ace Attorney "kiddy", exactly. It's more like a difference of lighthearted and gritty.

And I don't really see a reason to hate the terms themselves; the terms aren't the problem. The problem is that people put negative and positive connotations on the words that weren't originally intended for them. "Casual" was never meant to mean "Easy Mode Whimp who plays kiddie games", it was meant to mean exactly what it says on the tin, someone who plays games casually. Similarly, Hardcore wasn't meant to mean "Competitive FPS Gamer", it was simply meant to denote those who are avid gamers and...that's it. They don't need to be competitive and, heck, they don't even need to play on hard mode, but those are the meanings that the masses have given them. They've warped their original meanings into ones that could be considered harmful or even abrasive, and I think that's the real problem. Before they were simply definitions, but nowadays they seemed to have mutated into self-defining titles used for the belittlement of others or the boasting of oneself.

It's despicable, really.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I agree with Mach, the meaning of Casual and Hardcore has been changed. What were cut n' dry meanings of words has turned into complicated and hateful.

Railgun

Years
I don't know if I'd call Ace Attorney "kiddy", exactly. It's more like a difference of lighthearted and gritty.

And I don't really see a reason to hate the terms themselves; the terms aren't the problem. The problem is that people put negative and positive connotations on the words that weren't originally intended for them. "Casual" was never meant to mean "Easy Mode Whimp who plays kiddie games", it was meant to mean exactly what it says on the tin, someone who plays games casually. Similarly, Hardcore wasn't meant to mean "Competitive FPS Gamer", it was simply meant to denote those who are avid gamers and...that's it. They don't need to be competitive and, heck, they don't even need to play on hard mode, but those are the meanings that the masses have given them. They've warped their original meanings into ones that could be considered harmful or even abrasive, and I think that's the real problem. Before they were simply definitions, but nowadays they seemed to have mutated into self-defining titles used for the belittlement of others or the boasting of oneself.

It's despicable, really.

Ah good to know I truly thought hardcore gamers were people who would play on the hardest mode and get all the trophies and that casual played Nintendo stuff. Sorry about that

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
I wouldn't say Hardcore gamers because the Wii has some very good RPG's though gameplay is a bit tedious. The fanboys of each console are as bad as each other.

Still looking for PSP jRPG recommendations

I believe Persona 4 is on PSP. It's highly worth checking out. Storydriven RPG which has you building friendships as well as the typical defeat the badguy.

Railgun

Years
I believe Persona 4 is on PSP. It's highly worth checking out. Storydriven RPG which has you building friendships as well as the typical defeat the badguy.

Vita actually I think it was going to be on PSP but they wanted to go all out. I think the Vita is cheaper now but the memory cards are the real cost issue

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Chuckles, the PSP has a lot of RPGs but many of them are ports. If you're into ports, check out Star Ocean: Second Evolution, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, and Riviera: The Promised Land. Most of the other RPGs on the system are from a select few "niche" developers, such as Atlus, Nippon Ichi, and Falcom. I'd suggest checking out their games, although some one-off games like Half-Minute Hero, Hexyz Force, and Tales of The World might interest you.

Entitlement? My... How's that term being used?

It's usually used as nothing but PR talk to downplay poorly thought out game design. It died down since the Mass Effect 3 ending outrage, but it's still used every once in a while when a fanbase feels upset about the steps that a developer is taking.

Then again I may be a little biased, so it's best to take what I say with a grain of salt.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Yeah I got the PSP, took me like 5 minutes to get custom firmware on it. I went with the E100X series, I have like no waiting times in between stuff and it runs smoothly for something that's preowned. I currently have Persona 3 Portable, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Ys: The Oath in Felghana. I had Class of Heroes 2 but I don't see the appeal in it anymore it's basically Etrian Odyssey done well but not good enough. What about like Highschool RPG's, kind of like Persona anyone got any suggestions.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Yeah I got the PSP, took me like 5 minutes to get custom firmware on it. I went with the E100X series, I have like no waiting times in between stuff and it runs smoothly for something that's preowned. I currently have Persona 3 Portable, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Ys: The Oath in Felghana. I had Class of Heroes 2 but I don't see the appeal in it anymore it's basically Etrian Odyssey done well but not good enough. What about like Highschool RPG's, kind of like Persona anyone got any suggestions.

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time might be a game to check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back