• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga NP: The Theory of Slice of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Welcome to the Anime & Manga daily chit-chat! Here you can discuss all things pertaining to anime and manga (obviously). Pretty much anything goes here. If you want to talk about some obscure anime you discovered that no one has ever heard of before, or if you just wanna reminisce over classic shonen like Dragonball and One Piece, this is the place for you!

No posting inappropriate things like hentai and yaoi please. I'm very lenient with things but those won't fly and will land you in the arms of deus so chill

Last edited:

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Anyone got some good recomendations for manga that is not afraid to show gore, a little like berserk filled with action but isn't shonen.

Outlier

You could say that about most DCC's in other sections. A lot of the stuff that gets talked about could be made into threads but let's just see how this works. It could flop miserably or become a 5 start thrad guise!

Anyone into Bleach?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Watched a few episodes of it before, but to be honest though, I didn't really like it. I may try it again some other day and see how it goes. Bleach has four seasons, right? Or is it five?

Outlier

No clue. All I know is it's a lot more enjoyable if you skip the filler. I'll admit it does start off a bit slow though.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I watched one and a half season of Bleach waaaaay back. I think I stopped just because I got preoccupied with other stuff and didn't get back into it. That often happens with me and manga/anime :(

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Bleach was great for the first three series. Then Ichigo went through his boring EDGY phase and those arcs weren't very good. He's back to ''5 ambulances'' Ichigo now it seems so the last arc should continue to be good. Not sure if that'll ever be animated though.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Bleach was great for the first three series. Then Ichigo went through his boring EDGY phase and those arcs weren't very good. He's back to ''5 ambulances'' Ichigo now it seems so the last arc should continue to be good. Not sure if that'll ever be animated though.
So you think reading the anime should be preferred over watching the anime?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
I've done both. I do find the fights in the manga are sometimes a little hard to follow though so that is a bit of a plus for the anime.

I'd at least watch the first 3 seasons of the anime though. Lots of great OST and it is more atmospheric.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've never read the manga, unfortunately. I don't read any manga to be honest; they're just not my thing.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
The problem with Bleach is there are too many odd divergences from the main story (alternative universe filler arcs, ew) and the only way people get stronger is by somehow magically powering themselves up to a previous unheard-of level. Similar, in some regards to Naruto - although I think the later performs it in a slightly more realistic way. ~reasons~ and shizz.

The last animated arc of Bleach was awful. I wouldn't even say it's worth watching, too much of it was bad/slow/weird.

What do people think of vampire anime? I've been watching Strike the Blood recently, which is pretty poor, but I've loved things like Shiki, Vampire Knight and Hellsing.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
The only Bleach arcs I like are the SS and the current arc (on hold as I'll marathon it). Others were either just not worth it or average at best. Naruto was great in part one and same till I guess the Pain invasion arc. Then it went downhill and the war arc was just abysmal. I almost felt like dropping the series multiple times (obito is bad. Seriously). But now that Maddy's back, things are picking up big time.

As for the second post - lots of gore but not a shounen? Watch Elfen Lied if its your thing, I guess. Some people call it a masterpiece. Personally not a fan at all.

I haven't seen vampire anime. Apart from Vampire Hunter D's original 1980s something movie and ~maybe~ an episode or two of Hellsing OVA. So can't comment on them. The movie was definitely...sort of weird, lol.

Outlier

The filler is a non-issue for me because as I said I'm skipping all of it. I don't think any of the power ups have been that over the top so far, keep in mind I'm only up to the Arrancar arc so it may get worse like you said. Though to be fair unrealistic power ups seem to be a trope that pretty much all shonen abuse. Naruto has definitely done this a lot as well. But Naruto has a whole list of problems of its own, bad writing being the biggest one.

derozio

Years
One Piece does it too, I guess. Gear Second/Diable Jamble/Asura are the worst offenders as much as I love One Piece lol

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Ichigo's seemingly random powerups have been explained to a satisfying enough level for me in the most recent arc.

Not going to take part in a flame war but you think Naruto has bad writing but Bleach is fine? Funny, my only real problems with Naruto are things that a lot of shounen series get dragged down by, plot lines getting dragged out and magical revivals. In terms of story structure, world, characters and a few other things Naruto would score above Bleach for me. Kubo wins on TWISTS and character design though.

derozio

Years
I actually agree with lappy. Naruto's writing in general, character development and world building would be above Bleach's in my opinion as well.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Also I have no idea why anyone would skip the Bleach filler, well, maybe the Bounts but the rest were cool. The one where the Zanpakuto spirits rebelled was better than a majority of the canon. My second favourite episode in the entire series was an episodic filler, feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back