• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
what does synchronize have to do with shiny hunting?

people are always talking about getting a shiny with synchronize. but i cant find any info about how it works. can someone help me?

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
I don't think Synchronize increases the chances of finding a shiny or anything, but...

If you have a Pokemon with Synchronize at the front of your party, it increases the chances of wild Pokemon you encounter having the same nature as it. I'd imagine if you were shiny hunting via random encounters/the Poke Radar and wanted one with a specific nature, you'd want to do that.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
also can i access my bag when im chaining with the poke radar without breaking my chain?
EDIT: nevermind i got my answer

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 24, 2014
A couple questions to a "new" trainer.

Hello everyone. I am new to this board. and am pretty new to the "new" world of Pokemon. I am a classic Pokemon gamer. To be honest I have only played Red/Blue/Yellow in full. I however did buy Pokemon X for my 3DS. I am in the process of trying to catch a Shiny Starter Charmander in Pokemon FireRed. I have been at it for a little over a month, and still no luck. So I am thinking about giving up for now and just trying to get a perfect stat Charmander, and just enjoy the game.

My question would be, I also have a copy of Pokemon LeafGreen. I am thinking of continuing my quest for that Shiny Charmander on that copy of the game. If I ever get lucky enough to catch one, I could just Trade it over to my FireRed game. My question is: are there any disadvantages to trading Pokemon? Will they be weaker in any way? Should I just keep trying for that shiny on my FireRed?

What about in Pokemon X/Y? Are there any disadvantages to getting a Pokemon via trade be it from a friend, or Mystery trade?

Thanks for any and all replies in advance. I hope this hasn't been asked before, I tried my best to look around for a answer but I didn't see one. I am somewhat new to the message board though, so I might have been looking in the wrong area.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
The only real disadvantages to using traded pokémon are being unable to change their nickname and having to deal with their disobedience if you don't have the appropriate badge.

Unfortunately, the latter is exacerbated by the fact that traded pokémon gain experience at a higher rate that domestic pokémon.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 2, 2014
Gliscor or Toxicroak!!!

idk if this is the right place to post this but I need replies QUICK. Well I haven't even restarted yet so I guess theres still time before I encounter either... Anyways the game is DR1 and I can't chose between the two. They both seem to be physical attackers but toxicroak seems to have some good special attacks later on which makes me question what to do with him despite being half fighting. Disregard the rest of my team, except for my starter, which will be gible, so keep in mind the overlapping ground type connection with gliscor. (sry if posted in wrong section, im newbie) Thanks!

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
This should go in the help thread that is stickied, I believe.
However, I'd suggest looking on Bulbapedia or typing in Gliscor vs. Toxicroak and seeing the reviews and stuff. You can normally find information like this on a lot of other sites.

Shadeh

KABOOM!
Years
Depends. They are both poison so you can put that poison orb thing so they can regain health (like leftovers).They are both really pokemon. Though Gliscor has a mega evolution I think?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 2, 2014
This should go in the help thread that is stickied, I believe.
However, I'd suggest looking on Bulbapedia or typing in Gliscor vs. Toxicroak and seeing the reviews and stuff. You can normally find information like this on a lot of other sites.

All I could find is another post on serebii with no replies. >.< there is this Pikimal website that compares pokemon but idk how reliable it is, and they're pretty much neck 'n neck on there anyways. Ugh i'll probably leave it up to chance with my trusty 20 sided dice! Unless of course I get some more feedback before I encounter either. ;)

EDIT:I've decided to go with Toxicroak. I will teach it rain dance because of dry skin, he will recover HP every turn. I'll also make him hold leftovers. So the HP recovery should be about as much as a leach seed I'm hoping. I favor pokemon with HP recovery skills.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2014
Best Pokemon game to play after hiatus?

So I want to get back into Pokemon, but I don't know where to start, I was pretty into it up until Black and White where none of my favorite pokemon were there so it kinda turned me off.
I already played through X/Y it was, meh, didn't like the region so much but the graphics were okay.

So yeah, basically just what the title says, what game should I tackle (or anyone for that matter) after returning from a Pokemon hiatus?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Well, your hiatus seems to have only been between one generation, so it's not like you left off at a hard to catch up spot. If you had stopped at gen II and wanted to get back in now, it'd be easier to suggest something for you. But I guess you could start with BW2, since you played up to BW, and I'm assuming you didn't miss anything up until that point, and you just played XY. That's not really a big hiatus tbh, so just play the only game you've missed.

Most people regard BW2 as being better than BW, and you're not limited to just gen V Pokemon, so maybe you'll enjoy it more.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 24, 2014
I have a question about breeding Pokemon with Ditto.

From what I understand ditto is "gender-less" right?

I am going to be starting to play Pokemon FireRed tonight (as long as I get a semi quick response to this thread) and have a copy of FireRed & LeafGreen. I am going to be trading Squirtle Bulbasaur from LeafGreen to my copy of FireRed so I have all three starters. (Hey if Ash had all three, why not me?)

My question is, if I want to make an egg of those Pokemon later to try to breed a perfect IV Pokemon (from what I understand you have to beat the game first to unlock someone to be able to read your pokemons stats) if I want the baby to be a boy, do I want my starter to be a girl or boy, or does it not matter?

Thanks for the reply in advance.

Years
I like the Pokemon Escavalier, In Pokemon Black and White (I own White), I have trained a Karrablast and taught him the desired moveset and I plan on turning him into my dream Escavalier. Now, I own a 3DS and I am going to buy Pokemon X or Y. I have an idea that will help me get my Karrablast into an Escavalier. This is plan: I catch a Shelmet in Pokemon White and trade it to my 3DS game. I then trade my Karrablast in Pokemon White to Shelmet in the 3DS game. Will this plan work? I would really like to know!

BTW, the moveset I made for Karrablast is:

Cut
X-Scissor
Slash
False Swipe

Item: Rocky Helmet

I would also like to know if this moveset is good.

Thanks!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I like the Pokemon Escavalier, In Pokemon Black and White (I own White), I have trained a Karrablast and taught him the desired moveset and I plan on turning him into my dream Escavalier. Now, I own a 3DS and I am going to buy Pokemon X or Y. I have an idea that will help me get my Karrablast into an Escavalier. This is plan: I catch a Shelmet in Pokemon White and trade it to my 3DS game. I then trade my Karrablast in Pokemon White to Shelmet in the 3DS game. Will this plan work? I would really like to know!

BTW, the moveset I made for Karrablast is:

Cut
X-Scissor
Slash
False Swipe

I would also like to know if this moveset is good.

Thanks!
Escavalier gained a bunch of improvements, which are:
-buffed Overcoat (giving it immunity to powder moves like Sleep Powder)
-buffed Knock Off (power increase; power increases further before it knocks away an item)
-Assault Vest, which makes it bulkier on the special end
-Drill Run, which now lets Escavalier take on Steel Pokemon more easily.

Simply put, your move set is terrible. No coverage outside of STABs whatsoever stinks. False Swipe is only good for assisting Pokemon catches. Cut is only good as a field move. Bug Buzz runs off of Karrablast's/Escavalier's terrible Special Attack. This is the best Escavalier can do:
-Megahorn
-Iron Head
-Drill Run
-Pursuit/Knock Off
Nature: Adamant/Brave
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
Item: Assault Vest

You'll need to do some breeding for this, as Drill Run, Pursuit and Knock Off are egg moves. Even though the combination above looks illegal at first, it actually is legal because female Pokemon can pass down egg moves in X/Y.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 25, 2014
Which Pokemon game to play?

Hey guys, I was wondering. I want to play a Pokemon game, but after playing X and Y, I don't know which I want to play. I recently sold my 3DS and Pokemon Y to make ends meet, as much as I wanted to keep it, I had to let it go. I was thinking Soul Silver. Also, is White and White 2 an continuation story?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Black 2 and White 2 are sequels to Black and White, yes. If you haven't played them, then please do; they're very fun (in my opinion, anyway). :] As for HeartGold and SoulSilver, they're pretty entertaining as well, but wouldn't be so bad to miss out on them if you've played G/S/C already. Also, have you played Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum?

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
Depends. They are both poison so you can put that poison orb thing so they can regain health (like leftovers).They are both really pokemon. Though Gliscor has a mega evolution I think?

The former is caused by an ability from being poisoned and the latter isn't true. Just saiyan.

I have a question about breeding Pokemon with Ditto.

From what I understand ditto is "gender-less" right?

I am going to be starting to play Pokemon FireRed tonight (as long as I get a semi quick response to this thread) and have a copy of FireRed & LeafGreen. I am going to be trading Squirtle Bulbasaur from LeafGreen to my copy of FireRed so I have all three starters. (Hey if Ash had all three, why not me?)

My question is, if I want to make an egg of those Pokemon later to try to breed a perfect IV Pokemon (from what I understand you have to beat the game first to unlock someone to be able to read your pokemons stats) if I want the baby to be a boy, do I want my starter to be a girl or boy, or does it not matter?

Thanks for the reply in advance.

It doesn't matter. It's based solely on the specific Pokemon, so all three will have a 12.5% chance of being female and 82.5% chance of being male solely based on the fact that it's always like that for those specific Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 9, 2014
All the old Pokemon games for $6?

I want to play the old Pokemon games that i grew up with and this looked like a great deal.

I think you can offer on this website so i should be able to steal it for $5.

Do you think I should get it?

ioffer.com/i/game-boy-advance-emulator-11-pokemon-games-for-pc-565933026

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
Years
I need a second opinion on the Ho-oh I received from the GTS. It's in a masterball but it's lvl 37 and it originates from the Hoenn region which I checked for any Ho-oh related events but they are all at lvl 70. It also learned recover even though it's a lvl 71 move.
Is this a fake/hacked pokemon?

Years
I need a second opinion on the Ho-oh I received from the GTS. It's in a masterball but it's lvl 37 and it originates from the Hoenn region which I checked for any Ho-oh related events but they are all at lvl 70. It also learned recover even though it's a lvl 71 move.
Is this a fake/hacked pokemon?

I did a bit of research and yeah I guess your Ho-Oh might have been hacked since I recall that Ho-Oh can't be legitimately caught at Lv37. If you have a suspicious hacked Pokemon report it in this thread here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=304470

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back