• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Red - Battle Factory

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday
Hack Name: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory
Hack of: Pokémon Red
(.ips patch download at the bottom of this post)

This hack was made entirely with the pokered disassembly project. No hex editing was involved. Here's a a link to the github repository:
Pokémon Red: Battle Factory Github Repository

This project is a recreation of the Battle Factory from the Battle Frontiers in Gen 3 and Gen 4 games. Most of the features are present, but I'll describe the main components of the game, anyway. You are presented with 6 initial pokemon, from which you pick 3. You then use these 3 pokemon to battle 7 consecutive trainers. After every trainer you defeat, you are given the option to switch one of your pokemon with one of their pokemon. After defeating 7 trainers in a row, you advance to the next class, and each subsequent class has more powerful pokemon to choose from. There are a total of 9 classes in this hack, and there are Factory Heads, which are like bosses, that will challenge you once you get past the first 2 classes.

All of the available pokemon have custom-defined movesets, so it's very possible that this is not a completely balanced game. But then again, pokemon is not a completely balanced game, so I think we're good.

Also, if it's not clear, this is a standalone game, so the only part of this hack is the Battle Factory. You cannot leave the Battle Factory to pursue a normal pokemon master's destiny. Sorry!

Here are some screenshots to give you an idea of how it looks:
Wp7slnL.png
0EbnztJ.png
EXISbzb.png

RXf9dQF.png
mmYOb89.png
nPgZKHG.png

5zgC87a.png
RXuWrOT.png

Release Info
Version 1.2 (Released August 25, 2014)
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/a4ja4lpqxp1f6l6/red_battle_factory_1_2.ips
This version is complete!

Known Bugs
  • The sprite of the enemy trainer gets jumbled after battles if you trade pokemon. This has no effect on gameplay, though. I didn't even notice it for a long time.

Credits
Huge credits go to everyone involved in the pokered disassembly project. I also used Danny-E 33's Gen II Graphics Patch to spice up the graphics.

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
This is really interesting. I'm so trying this out when I get the chance!

Years
Awesome concept and awesome game to go with it but for some reason the game oddly freezes every now and then. Is this just my computer/ rom or is this a problem for everybody?

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Means this hack doesn't involves any journey? Just a factory where you battle many trainers in a row!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday
Awesome concept and awesome game to go with it but for some reason the game oddly freezes every now and then. Is this just my computer/ rom or is this a problem for everybody?

Unfortunately, there have been a few reports of this. It freezes sometimes when you are swapping pokemon. I do have a save state that let's me reproduce the bug, so I'll be able to fix this hopefully by tomorrow!

I'm glad that people are enjoying this!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday
I just released an updated version 1.1 in the first post. Here are the changes that were made:
1. Fixed bug that occasionally crashed the game when swapping pokemon
2. Fixed bug that occured when you defeated the seventh trainer in a challenge after you've beaten all of the factory heads
3. Added new menus to the swapping interface after you defeat a trainer. You can now view the stats of both the opponent's and your pokemon when swapping.

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
This looks fun. I love the battle factory but I never even considered what it would be like in older generations. Can't wait to see the movesets you used.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
You're the best gen 1 game hacker, i have ever seen, shanty.

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2014
This is totally awesome, I really love the move sets, clearly you have some experience with competitive 1st gen. I always thought this would be a really cool idea for a hack, glad to see someone actually did it!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday
This is totally awesome, I really love the move sets, clearly you have some experience with competitive 1st gen. I always thought this would be a really cool idea for a hack, glad to see someone actually did it!

Thanks! I actually have no experience with competitive gen 1 battling... I just kind of made up the movesets as I went! I'm glad they turned out well.

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Wow i! i love the idea of this hack :) I was always a fan of the battle factory in emerald ! Great work shanty town

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
For me, I have trainers with level 0 pokemon after the 14th consecutive victory... Maybe you could look into this?

It wasn't just one trainer, either. When I went to swap a PKMN, the Lv:0 PKMN had 10 HP and 5 of every other stat. (Typical Level 0 pokemon stats.)

If you need me to take a screenie, I will. I'm playing it on an android emulator.

I love this hack, but this just kills the fun of it.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
It will be interesting to see this Battle Factory after beating the Elite Four in the original game, Good hack through.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Is there a limit on how many trainers you can face, or is it never ending, like in Emerald?

zackcat

Battle Frontier
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 20, 2023
hey Shanty I really enjoy this romhack. I sent you a PM regarding some things I found in the game I think aren't intentional. I started speedrunning this for fun and just wanted to say thanks! High quality RB hack.

Current streak is 112!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday
I updated the first post to list those bugs. I completely forgot to add those a long time ago. 112 isn't too shabby, however you've more than beaten the game at that point!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday
I released the Version 1.2 patch in the first post. I took care of a few bugs that I've known about for a long time. Basically, every pokemon that was supposed to know Psychic knew Double Kick, instead... Also, there were some issues with saving that have been fixed.

Back