• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokesharp 2.0 - Java reboot

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023

Original thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296866

Announcing my reboot of Pokesharp I am working on. Contrary to the old version, this one is being written in Java. I am keeping the name however because it sounds kinda cool and I already have a subreddit for it etc.

I was bored out of my mind lately and didn't really have any project going on so I decided I should try to reprogram it. Only this time, It won't turn into a big spaghetti mess. I'm keeping a minimum of order in the code and structuring everything as best as I can.

Because it is in Java, it will be compatible out of the box across all OSes. I am using the Libgdx library for the engine. For those familiar, Libgdx is compatible with mobile devices which mean I could probably make it compatible in the future.

I don't have a whole lot to show so far but here is what I do have

Spoiler:

No map editing yet, I have to work on the database first so you can create and import tilesets

Spoiler:

And here is a small demo of the engine itself which I am putting on hold for now because I want to work on the editor. I think it makes more sense to implement the features in the editor first and the support for the engine.

Spoiler:

I think it is important to note that I am using Java 8 for the game editor. Therefore, Java 8 will be required to update once it comes out (sometimes in March in believe) to use the game editor.

Thanks

Last edited:

Daruda

Grinder
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Aug 24, 2014
Java, I don't really know if I like it or not.
well, I hope for the best! Good luck!

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
I know I'll like it. Java is nice and multi-platform and stuff. Only thing better would be a Python engine, really.

Good work so far :D

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
http://pokesharp.com/ has been brought back up. I will update the website with the number of lines of code in the project every day. This should give me some motivation to work on it a bit everyday. I apologize for the ugly website, but it's the best I can do with in the web development field. :P

Last edited:

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
Well this is by far the best news for the Pokemon game development community since PokeSharp 1. I'm jumping on board to keep a close eye on this project again. I was disappointed when it closed and I was just looking to see if it had come back or not. Looks like it has. I think Java is a good decision if nothing else for the platform compatibility. The UI really looks beautiful.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Well this is by far the best news for the Pokemon game development community since PokeSharp 1. I'm jumping on board to keep a close eye on this project again. I was disappointed when it closed and I was just looking to see if it had come back or not. Looks like it has. I think Java is a good decision if nothing else for the platform compatibility. The UI really looks beautiful.

It still freaks me out to think about the battle engine and the amount of work it'll take to get it done but I might make that open source and get community help if needs be!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
It looks great so far! The UI is clean and it reminds me of RMXP's, which is always good.

I've been programming in Java for several years now, so if you need any assistance on anything, pm me.
Good luck!

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
Now this is the kind of stuff I like to see! Best of luck with PokeSharp.

I have some experience I Java and have somewhat-successfully made a battle engine from scratch, so if you'd like help or advice don't hesitate to ask.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
new picture

uyrpxHk.png

Layer and history pane not coded yet. Will work on that soon.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
* Layers and history panes coded
* Bucket and Rectangle tools coded

AjsTcPs.png

When you select an entity in the entity pane, it has a little animation to show that it is selected

O8uia30.gif

I might change it in the future and also make it light up a little bit when selected.

th3shark

Develops in AS3/C++
Years
Looking quite slick so far. Not sure how I feel about the selection animation though, it might get irritating, especially if next to other images in the entities tab. Nothing wrong with a box lol

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Looking quite slick so far. Not sure how I feel about the selection animation though, it might get irritating, especially if next to other images in the entities tab. Nothing wrong with a box lol

Haha yeah I'm not entirely sure about it either. I was messing around with an affine transform and thought that looked cool. I will probably change it though

Edit:
Today, I worked on the scriptable auto tiles.

Here are some pictures with a small animated demonstration

QJDelzP.png

z6lyu76.gif

Here is a link to the script used for this auto tile
http://pastebin.com/65HCHspt

It seems a bit overwhelming at first glance and making your own auto tiles will require some javascript knowledge. The whole engine will be documented in time on the wiki and there will be premade example scripts that are easily editable for beginners.

The script I linked above itself is very simple to reuse as long as you need an auto tile that follows this format
wfaEhWc.png

Last edited:

Tix

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 25, 2014
Great! So lookin forward to this.
If it can done most features as Essentials do, it will become the best Pokemon-fangame engine ever.

Back